Xbox's Phil Spencer Would Love to See Banjo-Kazooie in Smash Bros.

Xbox's Phil Spencer Would Love to See Banjo-Kazooie in Smash Bros.

banjo kazooie

Microsoft's Phil Spencer says it would be cool to see Banjo as Smash Bros. DLC character.

The Smash Bros. community's question of whether or not Mewtwo would be a one-off thing or the herald of more DLC characters, was answered with the announcement of Lucas. At the time, Nintendo asked fans who else they'd like to see in the game, and Xbox's Phil Spencer would love to see Banjo-Kazooie's hero(s) join the battle.

"I think it would be cool if Banjo was in the next SSB DLC," Tweeted Spencer. "We've worked with Nintendo on Rare IP before, no issues." Indeed, Diddy Kong himself was original conceived by Rare for it's Donkey Kong Country series, meaning that there already technically is a Rare IP character in the game.

Earlier in the year, Microsoft's Ken Lobb spoke on "seeing value" in Rare's IP, after the company renewed the trademark on Battletoads. We saw the 'toads join the Xbox One version of Shovel Knight as guest characters, so having Banjo-Kazooie appear as a guest Smash Bros. character is actually a thing that could very likely happen.

Fingers crossed, Rare fans!

Source: Twitter

If the cross-corporate paperwork is filed correctly: sure, go for it. Hell the fans may just lower the hate towards the corporations, if only just a small amount.

At first, I thought there's no chance in hell of this happening mainly due to Nintendo not wanting to promote another competitor's game, but then again, Snake was in Brawl the same year that MGS4 came out exclusive to PS3 (and I'm pretty sure even had music and stuff from the game), so maybe there is a chance. I wouldn't quite say very likely though! =P

I'm sure a deal could be done though, if both parties are interested, and everyone could win from it.

But we already have the Duck Hunt Dog...:P

I'd be fine with it if Nintendo and Microsoft got a deal going. Don't see it happening though.

Unlikely but...

If it did happen...

They're not going to give MS free advertising. Why do you think Solid Snake was dropped from the SSB roster? No point in giving attention to characters not on your systems whether they be handheld or home console.

Iiiii doubt after you sold out to Microsoft, Nintendo are gonna be all chummy about the idea.

I voted a different character anyway. Look I love the old rare games but I don't see it as a good idea personally. And duck hunt dog already fills in the 'animal duo' niche.

...See, that's nice and all, but the real question is this:

Aiddon:
They're not going to give MS free advertising. Why do you think Solid Snake was dropped from the SSB roster? No point in giving attention to characters not on your systems whether they be handheld or home console.

Well, I remember hearing that Snake made it in because Hideo went and asked rather nicely IIRC.
While there is a lot of business reasoning being thrown around, I do think that if an agreement is made between the two parties, it's more or less cool.

I see this as being a more likely outcome than what Nintendo is doing with their voting thing on the Smash Bros website. People can stuff that ballot box with Goku and, Ridley but I see something like this actually happening. That is, I see this as being more possible and a safer bet than our voted-in characters making the cut. Assuming of course Phil is serious about the cross-over. He could have just been thinking out loud with no intentions of negotiating a deal with Nintendo.

I never thought to vote for Banjo and Kazooie because of the possibly strained relationship between the the two parties. I was mostly focusing on the most realistic possibilities, such as Nintendo characters and characters of games that are still frequently on Nintendo platforms (Tetra-Shantae 2015). Would be awesome to see the due make it on the screen, could pave the way for lesser related third-parties like Goku.

That's rich, coming from microsoft who sets rare onto fucking kinect titles instead of an actual banjo kazooie game fans have been asking for for over a decade.
That's like EA saying "hay guys, horny from dungeon keeper should totes be in the new smash brothers! Toodles =DDD".
How about no, how dare you bring that up trying to ride on the coattails of a legacy you destroyed and fuck you very much.

I call BS, Diddy Kong was heavily based and ingrained in Donkey Kong, in fact he was part of work for hire. He's part of the Donkey Kong IP and therefore Rare has no actual ownership over him.

I too want to See Banjo-Kazooie in Smash Bros. That's why I voted for him.

Mr. Spencer, do me a solid and make it happen!

I can't help but feel sorry for Sakurai at this point. He's practically begging to be allowed to drop SSB and yet he keeps getting pulled back. Seems like only yesterday that it was said there wouldn't be more characters is Smash 4. Don't get me wrong, I love the inclusion of Lucas and Mewtwo. I played both of the religiously in their respective games. But it seems to me we will potentially see a lot more characters as DLC in the future. If anything, it's nice that Nintendo finally overcame their crippling fear of DLC money.

That said Banjo Kazooie is dead to me at this point. Nuts and bolts was too much of a punch to the stomach for me to handle.

No. NO. Screw you Microsoft. Between Nuts and Bolts and that shitty Conker's Bad Fur Day prank with project Spark, Microsoft doesn't deserve that kind of free press. Keep the characters relevant without actually having to do anything, you'd love that wouldn't you. Give the IP to Nintendo and let them make a proper game asshole. Or better yet, give it to Playtonic Games.

Aiddon:
No point in giving attention to characters not on your systems whether they be handheld or home console.

Well, fortunately, Microsoft doesn't have a say in what goes off in Japan.

I'd much rather Conker be in SSB to be honest. Poor Banjo would get eaten alive.

YES

except their original designs please...not the 2006 version, the best thing about Kazooie was she didn't have some bullshit "added feminizations" to indicate her gender

Squilookle:
I'd much rather Conker be in SSB to be honest. Poor Banjo would get eaten alive.

Conker should be in Smash Bros.
And he should be dressed like Solid Snake.
It's the kind of thing Conker would do.

JCAll:

Squilookle:

Conker should be in Smash Bros.
And he should be dressed like Solid Snake.
It's the kind of thing Conker would do.

Was Solid snake in a movie?

Then no, Conker wouldn't impersonate him. Snake Plissken I could understand, but not Solid Snake.

You know, this makes perfect sense.

Firstly, Banjo Kazooie was most famous back when Rare and Nintendo were still very close (as in, Rare was basically a Nintendo 2nd party dev. Which isn't quite the same as being directly owned by Nintendo, but means they had a closer relationship than just being a random 3rd party dev)

As for Microsoft... Remember that Rare was releasing DS games, which was well after the buyout. So, they aren't exactly completely against working with Nintendo...

This... Seems like a plausible idea in some sense...

After MS's hurling the BK franchise face-first into the pavement (even Rare's logo ended up looking like Office font...)?

I can certainly see how the characters - at least in original form - would be fun, and have a lot of cool abilities. But if MS were to still retain any rights to the character or have any creative input whatsoever, then forget it. No. No forever.

Besides, I'd still rather see Bayonetta in Smash...

Get Sakurai on the two-way, man! Get on this!

This is interesting news, for certain. Banjo + Kazooie would be a welcome addition.

Also, the article doesn't actually mention who Phil Spencer *is*, I had to google it to find out he's the head of the Xbox Division.

We'd all like a lot of things Phill. I'd like to see a new Perfect Dark for the PC.

When Phil Spencer imagines seeing Banjo Kazooie in a video game, does he envision them from the N64 games? "Man, those were great games", Phil says, "I wonder why Nintendo hasn't made another one of those? Gee, I sure wish we had more games like that. I wish my company had such great characters to utilize in making games. We surely wouldn't waste the opportunity. Nintendo is so stupid for not making another one of those."

You guys must realize that putting Banjo in SSB isn't just "free advertising" for Microsoft. It's a proving ground, a field test that shows people are still interested in the character on Nintendo systems. In turn, the popularity (or not) of the character may determine future titles starring/featuring said character... a straw-poll of sorts: "Are people still interested in Banjo-Kazooie? give Nintendo $3 to vote 'yes'!"

The same goes for for similar characters/IP's, owned by other companies but iconic to Nintendo consoles, such as Simon/Trevor/Richter Belmont (Castlevania), Travis Touchdown (No More Heroes), Terra Bradford and/or Cecil Harvey (Final Fantasy), Isaac/Felix (Golden Sun), etc., etc.

I only care so much about the pre-existing games that Rare made. A proper Banjo-Threeie and a new Conker would be a nice touch, but really, I can't see them lasting in this new age, where all of the old Rareware crew have long since fled.

I just want to see Rare making games again. I want to see a new Rare in a new world making new games.

Godamnit Ken Lobb, what the hell is going on in that company?

Lt. Rocky:
I only care so much about the pre-existing games that Rare made. A proper Banjo-Threeie and a new Conker would be a nice touch, but really, I can't see them lasting in this new age, where all of the old Rareware crew have long since fled.

I just want to see Rare making games again. I want to see a new Rare in a new world making new games.

Godamnit Ken Lobb, what the hell is going on in that company?

I'm with you on this. Rare is completely dead at this point, and honestly it should just stay dead. However...there is a change in the winds. A storm approaches...

Some of the old crew has gotten back together.
They are working on a game.
This game is a spiritual successor to Banjo-Kazooie.
And the team is mostly made of people who were on the original Banjo-Kazooie team.

Playtonic Games.

My body is ready.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or