True Detective Season Two Gets A Trailer, Sweet Mustache

True Detective Season Two Gets A Trailer, Sweet Mustache

Seriously though, that's a sweet mustache, Colin.

Well look what the Yellow King dragged in! HBO just posted a trailer for the second season of True Detective on its YouTube channel, and the 60-second spot confirms what we already know, without adding much to the spoiler pile.

Colin Farrell, Vince Vaughn, Rachel McAdams, and Taylor Kitsch are all present, with three of the four rocking a police badge of some sort. Farrell (In Bruges, Total Recall) and McAdams (Wedding Crashers, Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows ) are Ray Velcoro and Ani Bezzerides, detective-partners in the Sheriff's office. Kitsch (John Carter, Snakes on a Plane) plays Paul Woodrugh, a war veteran-turned-highway patrol motorcycle cop. Vaughn (Unfinished Business, The Internship) comes in as the local crime lord, Frank Seymon, who has some sort of pre-existing relationship with Velcoro.

If you were looking for a reason to snag HBO Now beyond Game of Thrones? Writer Nic Pizzolatto (who created the series, and wrote all the episodes in True Detective season one) might have just piqued your curiosity.

Source: HBO (YouTube)

I can not wait for this. After being blow away by season 1, I hope season 2 has a similar directorial style but this time with different actors.

Sky Atlantic give it to me.

Getting a distinct 70's vibe from this due to Firth's moustache.

Don't know if it will scratch that almost Lovecraftian itch that the first season served up, but this has all the potential. I just wish that they'd showcased more of Fukanaga's excellent cinematography :X

This is it. This is the show that will redeem Vince Vaughn. If he can pull this off I'll take him seriously as an actor.

To be honest due to the Mythos references I watched the first season of "True Detective" but wasn't especially fond of it. Had they actually turned it into a horror series at some point it might have been cooler, but as it was it was "meh" and a waste of some subtle surrealism. Of course had they decided to go off the team end it would no longer have been "True" Detective obviously.

Without the Mythos references I'm not really sure if this one is going to maintain cred as a geeky passion, because without that your just dealing with a couple of degenerate detectives trying to solve a crime, an investigation they messed up once, and risk doing again, due to both hating each other, and of course arguably both being hateful human beings as well. To be honest given what they were like it would have arguably been metaphorically appropriate if at the end a gate did open, and they both stared into the blinding light that makes up the face of the piping idiot god Azathoth and melted into a pile of goo along with the killer. :)

Colin Farrell, Vince Vaughn.

And any interest anyone with taste had in series two was brutally murdered.

Fuck GoT and Silicon Valley! BRING ME JUNE RIGHT NOW GOD DAMMIT!

P-89 Scorpion:

I don't like Colin Farrell either (he was actually okay in Seven Psychopaths), but the first season changed my mind about Matthew McConaughey so let's see if lightning can strike twice.

P-89 Scorpion:

He did In Bruges. Everything is forgiven if you did In Bruges.

Never got the obsession people had with the very vague Lovecraft implications the first season had. The story was so much more than that and had much more interesting aspects to it. The Lovecraft vibes were just a nice atmosphere touch. The story was always obviously going to be a character study first. I think it would've been a massive Jump the Shark moment if they went full Eldrich.

Really looking forward to season 2.

P-89 Scorpion:

Really? You were a big fan of McConaughey's back catalog before season1? Which was your favourite? Ghosts of Girlfriends Past? How To Lose a Guy In 10 Days? Texas Chainsaw Massacre 4?

Spot1990:

P-89 Scorpion:

Really? You were a big fan of McConaughey's back catalog before season1? Which was your favourite? Ghosts of Girlfriends Past? How To Lose a Guy In 10 Days? Texas Chainsaw Massacre 4?

McConaughey had turned his career around with Killer Joe, Magic Mike, Dallas Buyers Club and Lincoln Lawyer before season 1 of True Detective, and it would seem he's out of the romantic comedy schtick for good. Colin Farrell's a bit up and down, but he's got Phone Booth, Seven Psychopaths and In Bruges in his catalogue. But Vince Vaughn? I can't remember anyone saying anything positive about anything he's done this century. Don't forget Taylor Kitsch either, who has such gems as Battleship and X-Men Origins: Wolverine on his IMDB page.

OT: Not blown away, and I'll avoid further trailers. I fecking loved the first season, and anthology is probably the best way to go. Staying carefully optimistic. I wonder if they're going to continue with the hinted supernatural or go for something different this time.

I want it nooooooooow

Therumancer:
To be honest due to the Mythos references I watched the first season of "True Detective" but wasn't especially fond of it. Had they actually turned it into a horror series at some point it might have been cooler, but as it was it was "meh" and a waste of some subtle surrealism. Of course had they decided to go off the team end it would no longer have been "True" Detective obviously.

Without the Mythos references I'm not really sure if this one is going to maintain cred as a geeky passion, because without that your just dealing with a couple of degenerate detectives trying to solve a crime, an investigation they messed up once, and risk doing again, due to both hating each other, and of course arguably both being hateful human beings as well. To be honest given what they were like it would have arguably been metaphorically appropriate if at the end a gate did open, and they both stared into the blinding light that makes up the face of the piping idiot god Azathoth and melted into a pile of goo along with the killer. :)

Usually I think it's stupid to say "your opinion is wrong", but everything about this post is just terrible. Your opinion is wrong.

"Waste of subtle surrealism"? So, not destroying the carefully built atmosphere with "cool" alien gods that melt people wastes the subtlety?

"geeky passion cred"? This part is so cringe-worthy I have no words but I ask you to keep "geek cred" far away from shows that can be taken seriously like True Detective.

"just a couple of degenerate detectives?" Sure, ignore themes like religion, existentialism, corruption, power, conspiracies, sexuality, relationships, law, violence and change of personality and keep talking about piles of Azatoth-melted goo, geek cred and ninja robot pew pew lazer pirates. :)

Twattycake_Fancypant:

P-89 Scorpion:

Yes! Oh my god yes. In Bruges is why I am so looking forward to his portrayal in this!
The only somewhat fun thing I have seen Vaughn in is the wedding crashers. But that movie introduced me to Bradley Cooper...

Twattycake_Fancypant:

P-89 Scorpion:

But then He did the Total Recall reboot and undid the forgiveness :).

OT: I am not sure how to feel about this new season. The new cast all manage to look grungy and gritty, even McAdams, but I'm really wondering what this next season will entail. I know that Rust and Hart didn't completely smash that cult in the last season, but It really felt like that the resolution they got was the best they were gonna get w/o destroying the tone and world the show is set in.

Darks63:

Twattycake_Fancypant:

P-89 Scorpion:

But then He did the Total Recall reboot and undid the forgiveness :).

Pf. I said "everything".

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here