Rumor: Who Shoots First In Digital Edition Of Star Wars: A New Hope?

Rumor: Who Shoots First In Digital Edition Of Star Wars: A New Hope?

Han Solo Blaster 310x

You love Han Solo, and he totally knows.

All six Star Wars films are going to hit your digital distribution platform of choice (iTunes, Google Play, etc.) tomorrow, and the films are largely unchanged from the Blu-ray releases we saw a few years ago.

But a rumored change in Episode IV: A New Hope is one fans the world over have been waiting for since long, long ago.

Badass Digest is reporting that Han Solo is shooting first yet again in Episode IV, and one of the greatest travesties in the Star Wars universe is finally being put right.

Let's be frank: A number of changes made to the original Star Wars films have been met with...well the word certainly isn't praise. Chief among them? Han Solo's encounter with the bounty hunter Greedo in that infamous Mos Eisley cantina. Back in the day, Han shot first, Greedo was left to dwell in his own misfourtune, and Han walked out of the bar like a boss.

Then came the 90's. Along with myriad other changes in the Star Wars: Special Edition trilogy, George Lucas altered the scene to have Greedo shoot first, only to have Solo fire back under the table immediately.

Along with scattered reports about Disney working on restoring Episodes VI-IV to their original cinematic glory, this move goes a long way in showing that Disney wants what the fans want: The original films, sans-changes, in high-def.

And if the rumor/report isn't true? We still have those original edition films to (possibly) look forward to. And...well, just shut your eyes whenever Greedo shoots first, and pretend like it never happened.

Source: Badass Digest

While this would certainly be cool if true, I can't help but wish they would take out the ridiculous Jabba's palace musical number from Jedi instead, if we were to only get one change. For some reason that always stood out to me as the most obnoxious alteration to the originals, even if not the most notorious.

Though I do guess than Han's shooting is the more "iconic" change, and easier to do without the restored original footage.

Han didn't shoot first.

He is the only one who shoots.

I was mostly bothered by the weird 'head shifting' effect they used to show Han dodging the shot in the later edition. Once I saw it, I couldn't un-see it.

That scene said a lot. As Scrythe notes above, Has was the only one to shoot in the original. It not only highlighted Han as a seasoned survivor and a rogue, but the event took place early in the film, so it set Han as an unpredictable variable. People watching for the first time weren't guaranteed a lovable smuggler, but an unstable and possibly dangerous element. And it plays well with his reforming ways in the later films.

To those who have seen the bluray version, here's hoping they got rid of Obi Wan yelling, "WOOOOOOOOOO"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0EUjobdavw

This is why I want the original releases and I've tried to avoid seeing the special editions (I think I have, once each). Things like Han being the only one to shoot, no stupid scenes with Jabba in Mos Eisley, changing the music at the end of Return, and young Anakin ghost are seriously so jarring to those who grew up without them that I don't want my memories of the "real" versions tainted by watching them. Touched up film? Sure. Cleaned up special effects (I mean clean, not add - no stupid ring when the Death Star explodes!)? Great! Adding digital models to a film that existed before digital anything? Completely out of place.

My dad even tried to give me a DVD with copies of the VHS versions he had - didn't work (his fault, but he's stopped caring at DVD). I'd rather watch copies of the SD VHS original releases than HD versions of the Special Editions - that's how much I care.

I'll be the first in the line to buy a DVD copy of the original theatrical releases of IV,V,VI but they have to be the ones George didn't mess up with his 'updates'

I've actually made a point of turning off the TV if one of them happens to be on as I channel surf.

"Disney wants what the fans want."
Or at least wants their money enough to give them what they want. Either way, I'll get the original versions when they're released.

Dont know why they cant release a version with both and at the menu you can chose original or Special edition.

It's confirmed that Greedo still shoots first in this edition.

Frankly, I care more about the existence of Han's Children than a half second of purely aesthetic screen time. I'd let them cgi in an E-Web for Greedo unload at Han if the rest survived.

Scrythe:
Han didn't shoot first.

Is it bad that I see this an immediately my brain makes the following crossover?

"You've put yourself in a lot of danger, Solo"

"No Greedo, I am the danger. I am the one that shoots"
*pew*

What about that big Darth Vader NO! at the end of RotJ? Is that still in there?

Scrythe:
Han didn't shoot first.

THANK YOU! I've been seeing this nonsense for years, and was starting to wonder if I was the only one who'd actually watched the movie. Han shoots, Greedo dies. There really is no "first".

You can leave all that crap in there, just cut Hayden's ghost out of RotJ.

Let him shoot first. I never gave a shit. But fuck please touch up that horrible head twitch. CGI the shit out of Harrison's head and make it actually look natural instead of like he just got his neck broken by an invisible force.

Can I have a version where just Han shoots first and the rest is Special Edition?

According to HelloGreedo, it's just a straight transfer of the Blu-Ray version.

Even if they were to revert that particular scene, it would still leave all sorts of Special Edition nonsense that rubs me the wrong way. Just give me the unaltered theatrical release. Hell, a straight VHS conversion would be good enough for me at this point.

MtnGamer:
That scene said a lot. As Scrythe notes above, Has was the only one to shoot in the original. It not only highlighted Han as a seasoned survivor and a rogue, but the event took place early in the film, so it set Han as an unpredictable variable. People watching for the first time weren't guaranteed a lovable smuggler, but an unstable and possibly dangerous element. And it plays well with his reforming ways in the later films.

Going to disagree almost totally with that there.

Now, maybe it shows him as a survivor, but I don't see anything controversial or unpredictable or unstable about shooting someone who is pointing a gun at you and saying how much they have looked forward to this.

It's not like every time the run into a Stormtrooper, it says something that they don't wait for the enemy to open fire first.

I was re-watching Star Wars awhile back and my god, the worst part of the revised versions has got to be that horrendous cantina music piece in Return of the Jedi. It was just downright painful to watch, I ended up scrambling for the remote to fast forward through that nonsense before the blood leaking from my eyes and ears got any more serious. I barely survived, it was that bad.

I'd watch my old VHS copy of the movies but hell, I don't even have a VHS player anymore. Life's rough.

RealRT:
Can I have a version where just Han shoots first and the rest is Special Edition?

I agree with that sentiment. I didn't mind most of the changes in the Special Edition. Only additions I didn't care for were the Jabba scene in a New Hope(that cgi hasn't aged well), the musical number in Jedi and Greedo shooting. Other than that it was a great remastering of the original films.

I don't think the changes started to get truly obnoxious until the DVD version... and the less said about the Blu-Ray version the better.

SonOfVoorhees:
Dont know why they cant release a version with both and at the menu you can chose original or Special edition.

They did. I have a DVD set of the original trilogy, each contains a disc with the SE, and a disc with the theatrical release.

Being an EU fan, the galaxy-wide celebration after the Death Star II is destroyed bugged the shit out of me. That part made no gd sense at all. The Empire wasn't instantly dissolved when the DSII is blown up. Especially on Coruscant, its capital planet/city. There were still tons of fleets and troops to maintain power and order, and dozens of Moffs, Admirals, and other high ranking personnel itching to name themselves Emperor/Empress.

Here's hoping that Disney does the right thing and releases a DVD/Bluray set of the original cut.

I don't mind several cuts of a movie existing or that at one point it gets a digitally remaster etc. as long as the original version is available as well.
And that is what irked me the wrong way with SW and how it got handled by Lucas. He made his changes and the cinematic version of back in the day never got included or released on a new medium. It was as he tried to make them forgotten and establish a new cannon.
And that sucked.

I honestly find the whole Special Editions of Star Wars to be hilarious and tragic.

To me, it's like George Lucas saw something he felt was wrong, and so he began to change it... and then something else, and he changed that too... and then something else, changing more and more and more and more, oblivious to the bigger picture.

It's basically the equivalent of Michael Jackson:

Sometimes, you just need to be who and what you are, blemishes and all... or risk mutating into something entirely unrecognizable.

For funsies, I cut myself a personalized version of the movies.

It's mostly the Blu-Ray, but

Han is the only one who shoots.
Vader only says the one "No" at the end of RotJ.
Sebastian Stan is the force ghost at the end.

You know what's a better way to spend ones time than hoping against hope that Disney fixes the original trilogy? Just getting your hands on and watching the De-Specialized versions. Like most media injustices in the world, fans have already done the work of fixing the damn thing for us.

Tank207:

RealRT:

I agree with that sentiment. I didn't mind most of the changes in the Special Edition. Only additions I didn't care for were the Jabba scene in a New Hope(that cgi hasn't aged well), the musical number in Jedi and Greedo shooting. Other than that it was a great remastering of the original films.

I don't think the changes started to get truly obnoxious until the DVD version... and the less said about the Blu-Ray version the better.

Also, and I know purists are going to rage, but the music at the end of ROTJ was far, FAR better in the Special Edition.

Ukomba:
Frankly, I care more about the existence of Han's Children than a half second of purely aesthetic screen time. I'd let them cgi in an E-Web for Greedo unload at Han if the rest survived.

Kind of hard to argue with that. I disliked only one or two of the additions in the Original Special Editions, but they apparently even more fucked up the Blu-ray releases by adding even more shit that ruins it further. Vader saying "Noooooooooo!" In Jedi is apparently a thing that happened now, and that makes no sense.

RealRT:

Tank207:

RealRT:

Also, and I know purists are going to rage, but the music at the end of ROTJ was far, FAR better in the Special Edition.

Yeah, pretty much exactly this.

I've never been on the special edition hate train, I guess. With a few exceptions (*cough*ghostHayden*cough*), I've always seen the changes as either marked improvements or just outright amusing at worst.

One thing I am kind of curious about though is whether the cut scene from the beginning of RotJ will ever be edited back in.

Ishigami:
I don't mind several cuts of a movie existing or that at one point it gets a digitally remaster etc. as long as the original version is available as well.
And that is what irked me the wrong way with SW and how it got handled by Lucas. He made his changes and the cinematic version of back in the day never got included or released on a new medium. It was as he tried to make them forgotten and establish a new cannon.
And that sucked.

But he did release the Original Theatrial versions on DVD. They were in the Limited Edition releases back in 2006 or so.

RealRT:

Oh definitely, that song alone made it hard for me to go back to the original version of Jedi. As far as I'm concerned the '97 Special Edition was fine, whatever changes that I didn't like were outweighed by the stuff I did like.

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.