Gollum Says Games Have "No Heart"

Gollum Says Games Have "No Heart"

Actor Andy Serkis, who portrayed Gollum in Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings trilogy, has criticized videogames for having "no heart" but says he expects the medium to make great strides forward in the future.

Despite a long and varied career, Serkis' greatest fame has come from starring roles in two Peter Jackson blockbusters, neither of which actually showed his face: First as Gollum, the tragic and preternaturally hoarse villain in the Lord of the Rings movies, and then as the similarly doomed King Kong of the 2005 remake. He's not entirely foreign to videogames, either; he's no Keith David, but along with providing voices for the videogame adaptations of the aforementioned films he also portrayed King Bohan in the PlayStation 3 action game Heavenly Sword. And while he's optimistic for the future, he thinks they have a long way to go before they reach their potential as a storytelling device.

"Games - there's no heart in them," he said in a recent interview with Babble. "They're not about anything that is lasting. We put so much into the writing of film scripts and plays, but not into games. And games are where the audience is going to be."

"In the next generation of kids, you're going to see a lot of storytelling in games," he continued. "And I think it's important to invest in that. I absolutely think that gaming is a massive storytelling arena in the making and now the technology has arrived to do that. It's a fascinating time."

The rest of the interview, while not game related, is an interesting read, as he talks about Albert Einstein, his role in the 2009 fantasy Inkheart and how his children reacted to seeing him get eaten by a "seven-foot penis with teeth." Give it a look here.

via: Ars Technica

We put so much into the writing of film scripts

*Sniggers uncontrollably*

Malygris:

"Games - there's no heart in them," he said in a recent interview with Babble. "They're not about anything that is lasting."

I beg to differ. Zombie apocalypse and nuclear wastelands last an awfully long time.

Malygris:
and how his children reacted to seeing him get eaten by a "seven-foot penis with teeth.

*sniggers uncontrollably*

Hmmm the pit slug. I have good memories of that *gah*

wordsmith:

Malygris:
and how his children reacted to seeing him get eaten by a "seven-foot penis with teeth.

*sniggers uncontrollably*

*big booming laugh*

damn, i need to see that!

Screw you, precious.

Good to see that there are people out there that look at the medium as something more than just what it is.

Clemenstation:

Malygris:

"Games - there's no heart in them," he said in a recent interview with Babble. "They're not about anything that is lasting."

I beg to differ. Zombie apocalypse and nuclear wastelands last an awfully long time.

This man speaks the truth.

Dude, anyone that has ever mourned the death of a game character would beg to differ.

Hunde Des Krieg:
Dude, anyone that has ever mourned the death of a game character would beg to differ.

Seriously. Give this guy any JRPG or a Bioware RPG, see if he still says that.

He at least showed his face in King Kong, he was the cook on the boat. Don't remember if he was in Lord of the Rings in a similar fashion ever.

I can't really blame him for thinking that about lasting impact, since his thoughts are being guided by Heavenly Sword.

*Ba-dum-tish

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here