New Terminator: Genisys Trailer Reveals Major Plot Twist

Pages 1 2 NEXT

New Terminator: Genisys Trailer Reveals Major Plot Twist

Come with me if you want to spoil.

Paramount Pictures UK has released a new trailer for Terminator: Genisys with a surprising plot reveal. Entitled, "Payoff," the two and a half minute video is loaded with new footage, much of which provides previously undisclosed information about the role John Connor plays in the plot, who now appears to be dramatically more involved than you might have expected.

Unlike the gang at Paramount, that's as detailed as I'm willing to get. It's the sort of thing I would have rather found out from watching the movie, not its marketing materials. You may want to skip this one if you're already looking forward to the film or have other spoiler-related concerns.

Those who have been paying close attention to Genisys may find it less of a shock. The trailer confirms some details first rumored as part of an alleged script leaked earlier this year.

Terminator: Genisys releases in theaters July 1.

Sources: YouTube, io9

That's way too much stupid for me to stomach. It looks like everything bad from every sci-fi action movie in the last decade thrown in together + terminator and a whole bunch of nostalgia driven one liners. It's terrible.

captcha: go berserk

No, I don't have the energy for it. I just don't care.

So to blend in you made a Terminator 67 years old?
Seriously though this kind of looks like bad fan fiction... someone trying to get all the messed up Terminator movies since 2 on one road?
If I was reading comic books I would assume this to be some sort of Crisis on Infinite Earth... but since I don't I actually don't know what I'm talking about... it's confusing I haven't got my meds yet...

I am not sure what makes me sad more: that the plot of this movie is made out ofm twists, which are mostly dumb (IMO), or the fact that I KNOW all of them from THIS trailer.

So they want to mindfuck us further into nonsence?

I admit, I would only watched it for the future battle since that one aspect of the franchise I always wanted to see.

The stupid title neatly encapsulates my feeling about this whole thing. Y?

Also, fuck off Jai Courtney.

So instead of presenting us with a decent plot, which they know they can't, they decide to just plot-twist us into submission.

MC1980:

No, no, we gotta keep pushing him -- people are bound to take a liking to him eventually... Right?

I feel like they just made a movie version of some silly Darkhorse mini series.

Whoa whoa. That ain't Kyle Reese. Corporal Dwayne Hicks is Kyle Reese.

Anyways, that plot looks like one big clusterduck. Or a series of them. I'm mildly curious to see what actually comes out of all of that, but I sure as heck won't spent $12 to find out.

Spaceman Spiff:
I'm mildly curious to see what actually comes out of all of that, but I sure as heck won't spent $12 to find out.

That's good. Every dollar people spend to see this movie vindicates the assholes who make shitty reboots. The best thing that could happen is for this movie to make precisely zero dollars, to make studios want to make good movies just out of self interest.

Casual Shinji:
So instead of presenting us with a decent plot, which they know they can't, they decide to just plot-twist us into submission.

MC1980:

No, no, we gotta keep pushing him -- people are bound to take a liking to him eventually... Right?

The funny part is he's essentially Sam Worthington 2: Even Worthington-er. Who's blockbuster leading man decline began with Terminator Salvation.

But yeah did anyone ever have high hopes for this movie? I generally hate being too cynical preferring to give movies a chance but come on? an aging Terminator? Getting excited about an installment in a franchise that's about 50% pure shit?

Spot1990:
The funny part is he's essentially Sam Worthington 2: Even Worthington-er. Who's blockbuster leading man decline began with Terminator Salvation.

In twenty years time we'll just have a completely hairless, featureless grey man playing the lead in our blockbusters.

At least they have the full liquid metal bad guy back as an actual threat I guess. Is...this some sneaky satire that this film is working with? If so, well played. But I fear otherwise.

I think it looks pretty good, it's clear that really isnt

but it will be interesting to see where they go with this.

Looks a lot better than T3 or Salvation anyway. T3 was okay but compared to number 2, was meh. and Lets face it, Apart from some interesting idea's Salvation was a flop.

For those ripping on the aging Terminators,James Cameron is all for it. Its even canon http://io9.com/james-cameron-explains-how-terminator-genisys-deals-wit-1648433072
That's all I got...

I almost want to go see this just as an ultra-stupid popcorn action flick, but I can't in good conscience let them have my money for this.

Spaceman Spiff:
Whoa whoa. That ain't Kyle Reese. Corporal Dwayne Hicks is Kyle Reese.

I was gonna say something about how Michael Biehn might not be up for starring in an action-heavy popcorn flick these days, as he's pushing 60... but I guess that kind of concern didn't stop them from re-casting Schwarzenegger.

But, but, but...I want to watch the trailer...! Waaah.

Fine. I'll wait until the movie comes out. Does the trailer at least have lots of stuff blowing up and purple laser guns?

Not going to lie, the idea of having JC be replaced by a Terminator as well would be a cool new perspective. If they were still in the future and it was him being a chess master, not time traveling. Still, cool that they sent the T-1000 after him. Makes sense, I guess. It just looks dumb, and not in the good way.

Screw the naysayers; I reckon this could be big dumb fun if I suspend my disbelief.

The Terminator franchise peaked with The Sarah Connor Chronicles.

Some day I hope to be able to glimpse into an alternate universe where Terminator and Highlander films were left the fuck alone.

I would pay 3D ticket prices if they just re-released those films on bigger screens instead of adding more films into the mix.

Casual Shinji:

Which is how we know they have no faith in the film. They're throwing darts at the wall and hoping something sticks.

I don't get all the negativity. I don't expect a sci fi masterpiece. I know it's a sequel to a sci fi masterpiece, so it will never stand up. I don't mind John Connor being the bad guy, but as the author noted, it would have been much better to be surprised by it. What idiots the marketing department is. But that seems more common these days.

My biggest gripe is the guy playing Kyle Reese needs to leave Hollywood. He is not a good actor in many bad movies.

Spot1990:

Casual Shinji:

MC1980:

But yeah did anyone ever have high hopes for this movie? I generally hate being too cynical preferring to give movies a chance but come on? an aging Terminator? Getting excited about an installment in a franchise that's about 50% pure shit?

Sam Worthington's been doing much better now he's gone back to smaller roles in his native country. He's actually quite a good actor when he's not trying to force his mouth around an American accent.

Huh. Well, that was weird.

I'm scared at this point. Basing one trailer on spilling the big shock plot twists is fine, but two, with unique plot twists in each? I'm afraid the biggest, stupidest most what the fuck plot twist is still in the movie, and it will make heads explode.

This'll be one for he rifftrax books.

I'm pretty torn on seeing this. From an action perspective, yeah some of the CGI still looks messy, I'm confused as to why John/terminator looks good yet helicopter fight looks fakey, but I'm very happy with the *smash* *boom* *bam* of it. I'm already fulfilled just by the sheer amount of terminator fighting were gonna get to see. From a plot perspective I'm so not with the direction. Like it or not T3 ended the main story, war was gonna happen going back in time is just a looping paradox. Salvation, while I've settled on just being terribly directed, was the start of the pre-sequel trilogy we wanted. This just feels like a rehash of T2 trying to be bigger and bolder. They've confirmed its a trilogy but idk they do that with every nerd movie they want to hype. I remain mildly optimistic. This trailer didnt make things better or worse just more confusing for fans.

I am honestly curious with what this film is doing with the Terminator story, aside from the "WE HAZ 2 STAHP JUHDGMONT DAY HAPPNIN" which hasn't worked in any of the films so far. Spoiling the twist in an early trailer doesn't help...and it looked like it would have been a twist I didn't see coming at least.

Not really thrilled for this, but Ahnald shooting his past self with an "I've been waiting for you" is rad as hell.

That looks awful, but I don't know what people were expecting from the reboot of movie with three sequels and a TV show.

TizzytheTormentor:
I am honestly curious with what this film is doing with the Terminator story, aside from the "WE HAZ 2 STAHP JUHDGMONT DAY HAPPNIN" which hasn't worked in any of the films so far.

The franchise is practically its own metaphor. If only Paramount's own efforts to revisit the past and butcher everything you hold dear were as easy to thwart.

I think the line "Not man, or machine. Something more." is what annoys me most in that trailer. You're a big ol' killer robot, so you're a machine. Nothing more. Bad enough you gotta be a villain, you can do it without being pretentious about it

I really do hate trailers in which I watch the whole movie.

Pallindromemordnillap:
I think the line "Not man, or machine. Something more." is what annoys me most in that trailer. You're a big ol' killer robot, so you're a machine. Nothing more. Bad enough you gotta be a villain, you can do it without being pretentious about it

Sounds like it's a man who has imported himself into machine. So he's not one or the other but both.

Scrythe:
Some day I hope to be able to glimpse into an alternate universe where Terminator and Highlander films were left the fuck alone.

I would pay 3D ticket prices if they just re-released those films on bigger screens instead of adding more films into the mix.

I'd like to see an alternate universe where Kyle Reese is an Immortal headhunter sent to kill time-traveling Terminators. :P

piscian:
I'm pretty torn on seeing this. From an action perspective, yeah some of the CGI still looks messy, I'm confused as to why John/terminator looks good yet helicopter fight looks fakey, but I'm very happy with the *smash* *boom* *bam* of it. I'm already fulfilled just by the sheer amount of terminator fighting were gonna get to see. From a plot perspective I'm so not with the direction. Like it or not T3 ended the main story, war was gonna happen going back in time is just a looping paradox. Salvation, while I've settled on just being terribly directed, was the start of the pre-sequel trilogy we wanted. This just feels like a rehash of T2 trying to be bigger and bolder. They've confirmed its a trilogy but idk they do that with every nerd movie they want to hype. I remain mildly optimistic. This trailer didnt make things better or worse just more confusing for fans.

Lightknight:

Pallindromemordnillap:

Sounds like it's a man who has imported himself into machine. So he's not one or the other but both.

Agreed. I think John Connor plugged himself up to a machine so he could control some Terminators with his mind. Either that, or he was killed/critically wounded and had his brain/mind transferred to a Terminator body.

Honestly, I'm seeing undercurrents of pretty much everything Terminator related here. The Connorbot looks similar to the T-X. A scene in the trailer looks like Sarah Connor's saying goodbye to a young John Connor (my thoughts there being that maybe they sent John into the future like in the TV series). T-800s and T-1000s galore. The Connorbot reminds me of Worthington's character in Terminator: Salvation.

Plot prediction: Reese is sent back in time to protect Sarah Connor, only to find that she's been protected and trained by a T-800. The timeline wound up altered due to this T-800 being sent further back in time (perhaps to play into an endgame plan by John or some desperate attempt by future John to survive). The time-travel facility (formerly Terminator controlled?) was likely assaulted by Terminators during one of the time-traveling attempts, and John probably wound up cornered at some point, so he uploaded his consciousness into the central computer to try and protect himself by controlling as many Terminators as he could get access to (otherwise, it was part of an endgame plan to stop the war). He probably planned to jump-start the plan by traveling back in time as Connorbot to get this "Genisys" thing going which would lead to humans and Terminators merging into a single unified race, thus thwarting Skynet's attack on the human race. In any event Connorbot thinks this fusion of man and machine is a good idea, Sarah, Ahnoldnator, and Reese don't like the plan, and the whole thing comes down to four Terminators and two humans having a deathmatch.

Foehunter82:

Scrythe:

I'd like to see an alternate universe where Kyle Reese is an Immortal headhunter sent to kill time-traveling Terminators. :P

piscian:

Lightknight:

Pallindromemordnillap:

Agreed. I think John Connor plugged himself up to a machine so he could control some Terminators with his mind. Either that, or he was killed/critically wounded and had his brain/mind transferred to a Terminator body.

Honestly, I'm seeing undercurrents of pretty much everything Terminator related here. The Connorbot looks similar to the T-X. A scene in the trailer looks like Sarah Connor's saying goodbye to a young John Connor (my thoughts there being that maybe they sent John into the future like in the TV series). T-800s and T-1000s galore. The Connorbot reminds me of Worthington's character in Terminator: Salvation.

Plot prediction: Reese is sent back in time to protect Sarah Connor, only to find that she's been protected and trained by a T-800. The timeline wound up altered due to this T-800 being sent further back in time (perhaps to play into an endgame plan by John or some desperate attempt by future John to survive). The time-travel facility (formerly Terminator controlled?) was likely assaulted by Terminators during one of the time-traveling attempts, and John probably wound up cornered at some point, so he uploaded his consciousness into the central computer to try and protect himself by controlling as many Terminators as he could get access to (otherwise, it was part of an endgame plan to stop the war). He probably planned to jump-start the plan by traveling back in time as Connorbot to get this "Genisys" thing going which would lead to humans and Terminators merging into a single unified race, thus thwarting Skynet's attack on the human race. In any event Connorbot thinks this fusion of man and machine is a good idea, Sarah, Ahnoldnator, and Reese don't like the plan, and the whole thing comes down to four Terminators and two humans having a deathmatch.

I think this is the most likely scenario being as clearly theres a period, in the film, in which John and sara appear to be on the same side. Theres a possibility that theres enough stuff going on that this isn't a big spoiler. The trailer indicates The john/sara battle takes place over a large portion of the film so its not an important reveal though I am disappointed at having this much spoiled for me at all. If this ideological fight is the main plot point.

I also have trouble believing theres enough here for a trilogy and at the end of the day it still feels like way too much like a retread. I'm ok with this concept of acknowledging alternate timelines and saying "ok all those other movies happened, but the timeline is changed yet again" IF AND ONLY IF, the acting and direction of the film can hold that up. So far I remain very unimpressed. I dont know anything about jai courtney but the internet seems to think hes a big turd.

I rewatched Salvation along with the originals this week. The concept and design were great. Worthington was servicable and Bale was excellent regardless of his obsession with character(Tom Hardy apparently does this too, on Mad Max he spends all his time alone mumbling to himself). I think McGs direction is what ruined that film. It just feels boring and poorly paced. I wish after all the legal issues they'd sucked it up and finished the Salvation Trilogy instead of doing this crap.

Fappy:
I feel like they just made a movie version of some silly Darkhorse mini series.

This big time, if youre at all familiar with the all the ridiculous Terminator comics that's what this seems like.

MC1980:
The stupid title neatly encapsulates my feeling about this whole thing. Y?

"Genisys" is a contraction of "General Identification System". What's wrong with that?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here