Telecom Lobby Files Suit Against FCC Over Net Neutrality

Telecom Lobby Files Suit Against FCC Over Net Neutrality

ATT Death Star 310x

The FCC publishes its ruleset in the Federal Register, and the United States Telecom Association goes to court.

Begun, the net neutrality wars have.

A lawsuit has been filed against the FCC after the commission published its open Internet-minded ruleset in the Federal Registry. The opposition is the USTA (United States Telecom Assocation), the trade organization -- led by the likes of AT&T and Verizon executives -- that represents the telecom industry.

The goal of the lawsuit, which was filed in Washington D.C., challenges the legality of the new rules, the reclassification of broadband as a telecommunication service, specifically.

"...USTelecom believes the FCC used the wrong approach to implementing net neutrality standards, which our industry supports and incorporates into everyday business practices," said USTA President Walter McCormick in a statement. "Our appeal is not focused on challenging the objectives articulated by the President, but instead the unjustifiable shift backward to common carrier regulation after more than a decade of significantly expanded broadband access and services for consumers under light-touch regulation."

The lawsuit is an expected move, the broadband providers in the United States are resisting their reclassification from "information service," to the more heavily regulated "telecommunications service." And while FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler expects to successfully defend his commission's new ruleset in court, the last telecom v FCC bout ended with the former smacking down the latter.

Source: WSJ | USTA

"But we don't want to upgrade our service to 25Mbps. We want broadband to be what we say it is!"

(Insert Star Wars Theme Here) "Previously on "Net Wars", the Telecomm Empire filed a suit against the Federal Republic Communications Company over Net Neutrality."

"after more than a decade of significantly expanded broadband access and services for consumers under light-touch regulation"

So... "expanded broadband" means having exactly one Internet Provider in your area and have to deal with the speed they "allow" for you...
GO FCC GO!!!

"...USTelecom believes the FCC used the wrong approach to implementing net neutrality standards, which our industry supports and incorporates into everyday business practices,"

Says the group who's members have already indulged in throttling services to force them in to giving them more money. what a bunch of twats.

Of course they're going to fight it. They're making stupid amounts of money the way things currently are.

It's times like this that I'm glad I don't live in the states. That being said, I hope this works out best for the consumers regardless. Canada has a bad habit of piggybacking on terrible ideas and I don't want our own internet infrastructure getting fucked over in the aftermath of all this.

Soviet Heavy:
It's times like this that I'm glad I don't live in the states. That being said, I hope this works out best for the consumers regardless. Canada has a bad habit of piggybacking on terrible ideas and I don't want our own internet infrastructure getting fucked over in the aftermath of all this.

You have a point, Canada, for all its really good ideas like healthcare and such, make REALLY dumb decisions based on what America does. They're not alone however, Europe did it too for awhile. America is like a poor role model.

What a shower of whingey cunts.

I wish the FCC and all sane, right thinking people in America all the best in their war against the corporations.

I've been waiting for this day for months. I thought they'd be attacking one at a time, but I guess they are wusses, who are hiding behind a trade organization that let's them save face in the eyes of the uninformed public.

"...USTelecom believes the FCC used the wrong approach to implementing net neutrality standards, which our industry supports and incorporates into everyday business practices," said USTA President Walter McCormick in a statement.

Fuck you, royally. Your industry has been against Net Neutrality since years before that court ruling ruined the delicate balance we had. Your "light-touch regulation" means using your political cronies to stifle competition before it can even get off the ground and disallow any pro-consumer legislation to be passed. You are using your positions to break into and crush the video streaming, instead of competing fairly with them.

It's funny how the only time a big ISP noticeably improves its service in an area is when something like Google Fiber slips past the their guard dogs in state capitols. I think they call that competition, the ultimate swear word is the ISP business.

Soviet Heavy:

When it comes to telecommunication regulation, we tend to fare better then the Yankees. As it stands things are improving here at a much faster rate then down south. I'll admit I'm living in a rural area, but over the past 24 months service speed has tripled, the artificial cap size quadrupled, prices went down by half, and that was before (and probably as a result of) fiberoptics where laid down and now we're getting unlimited internet with 8 times the speed we where two years ago for the same price.

On top of that the Torries have been pushing for a "pick and choose" option for cable and satellite where we get to actually select which channels we get instead of having junk channels included in bundles. Not that Bell and Rogers won't get around that by having the individual costs make those bundles cheaper, but still, things are getting better.

I still cannot understand what the fuss is all about. I mean I love paying twice what other countries pay for internet service at more then half the speed. We all just need to calm down and continue to support our local ISP and thank them for ALL the hard work they do to keep us all connected to the internet....is what telecom companies would love for us to say. But, in the real world I am getting tired of paying more for internet/cable then I do electricity!

"but instead the unjustifiable shift backward to common carrier regulation after more than a decade of significantly expanded broadband access and services for consumers under light-touch regulation."

Excuse me? How is 5MB/s good? The rest of the world has had 100MB/s internet for years. You've been doing a shit job. That is one of the primary reasons why this bill exists. You can claim whatever the hell you want. We'll speak with our wallets when Google finishes implementing its services.

The last time a telecom company went up against the FCC, it ended with the Supreme Court saying that the regulations the FCC was trying to push overstepped their authority, but would be permissible if internet access were classified as a Title II service.

So I really don't think the telecom lobby has a case here, but if they're willing to waste money on it, it's their money (that was swindled or extorted from their customers). They probably have done extensive CBA on the results of filing suit, but it honestly just comes off as a playground bully whining that the teachers are watching him more closely so he can't steal lunch money any more.

I'm hoping with every fiber of my being that the FCC regs can stand: if they fall there won't really be any options left.

Plus I'm tired of my internet service being a joke to the rest of the world.

Geisterkarle:
"after more than a decade of significantly expanded broadband access and services for consumers under light-touch regulation"

So... "expanded broadband" means having exactly one Internet Provider in your area and have to deal with the speed they "allow" for you...
GO FCC GO!!!

It's better than having No Internet Provider in your area and leaving you stuck with Dial-Up. Of course... that's what they're SAYING will happen.

Translation of this lawsuit:

"We're too-big-to-fail giants that can't actually compete in a competitive market, so we want to stifle any chance at competition so we can hoard all the money."

XenoScifi:
I still cannot understand what the fuss is all about. I mean I love paying twice what other countries pay for internet service at more then half the speed. We all just need to calm down and continue to support our local ISP and thank them for ALL the hard work they do to keep us all connected to the internet....is what telecom companies would love for us to say. But, in the real world I am getting tired of paying more for internet/cable then I do electricity!

The only poster in this thread that gets it! Good old capitalism, doesn't it bring a tear to your eye?

The ironic thing is that if they spent half the money they use to fight this into actually improving service they wouldnt have to worry about it to begin with.

Also thier comments about decades of expanded services (by which they of course mean 90s level of service via monopoly while taking massive government subsidies) are just hilariuos.

I predict that their storm troopers will be eaten by a bunch of cat memes. (Remember, folks: Those cute and fuzzy bears eat human flesh!)

Oh yeah, regional monopolies and oligopolies do hate the ol' regulation. But competition has clearly failed.

"Unjustifiable shift", my hindquarters. "Did Internet access go from a luxury to a near-necessity while we were going about our business, and we somehow ended up with a de facto monopoly on broadband in your market during that shift? Well, that's just an unfortunate coincidence..."

marioandsonic:
Translation of this lawsuit:

"We're too-big-to-fail giants that can't actually compete in a competitive market, so we want to stifle any chance at competition so we can hoard all the money."

It's this right fucking here. See TWC increasing speeds by six times in a specific area that google wanted to expand in, but of course can't expand it anywhere else. And you know they'll say "it wasn't in response to it, but that they just happened to have good infrastructure there to benefit customers"

Strazdas:
The ironic thing is that if they spent half the money they use to fight this into actually improving service they wouldnt have to worry about it to begin with.

Also thier comments about decades of expanded services (by which they of course mean 90s level of service via monopoly while taking massive government subsidies) are just hilarious.

So.. so what we did here.. so.. hey I'm talking here.. so, what we did was we sold people on the internet, and then we gave them "A" service. Got them hooked, see? Then we built up, and spread out, and when the government started to use us, we.. get this.. we told them we needed money to build the connections to get them across country. So they, they gave us this money. They gave us like.. all the money, but they didn't tell us HOW we had to go about building up our infrastructure. So what we did was we bought out the other smaller companies for shillings and spent the rest on lawyers. All of the lawyers, and hookers and the blow to do off them.
And all was freaking aces till that damn Youtube and Netflix and everything wanting us to do what we said we would. So that got the government back to breathing down our necks, but by then we had already got the lawyers and the clout to push then down, cause we're the internet, mofos, you listen to US! We had all the money from our addicts, we had all the money from ads and cable. Hell, we was actually charging Youtube and Netflix just to not have us break their legs, and was using that money to crush them in courts. They was paying us to not cripple them, and we was using that to write the laws saying we could! It's just now they want to make us a utility. They want to make us accountable after we got ours. WE GOOOOT OURS, why should we care if you get yours?

What, you thought for one second it was over? How naive are you? This is 2015! Everything can be resettled in court in more favorable terms, it just takes money.

I will not live to see the day when lobbies for corporate interests stop going against the public good when profits are on the line.

Until America stops fucking people with its capitalism dildo, you'll never be free of the power of corps.

EndlessSporadic:
"but instead the unjustifiable shift backward to common carrier regulation after more than a decade of significantly expanded broadband access and services for consumers under light-touch regulation."

Excuse me? How is 5MB/s good? The rest of the world has had 100MB/s internet for years.

I though Australia had bad internet, I just went from 12mb/s to 100mb/s.

I hate to say this but I think these goons have just enough of a case to not win or lose outright. That will turn into a default victory as the ISPs have a lot more money to drag this out than the FCC. The ISPs have a lot of $ riding on this and they are not going to go down without a fight.

All the ISPs have to do is not lose. If they can keep this in the courts they can win against the FCC by sheer attrition. Or at least until the election when there is a reasonable chance that the GOP will get in and start kneecapping the FCC from behind. A year and a half is chump change for cases like like this.

Captcha : Hard captcha is hard

wut?

The internet providers and cell phone carriers arent allowed to throttle the bandwidth, and actually provide what we pay them for?!

Heaven forbid

Armadox:
So.. so what we did here.. so.. hey I'm talking here.. so, what we did was we sold people on the internet, and then we gave them "A" service. Got them hooked, see? Then we built up, and spread out, and when the government started to use us, we.. get this.. we told them we needed money to build the connections to get them across country. So they, they gave us this money. They gave us like.. all the money, but they didn't tell us HOW we had to go about building up our infrastructure. So what we did was we bought out the other smaller companies for shillings and spent the rest on lawyers. All of the lawyers, and hookers and the blow to do off them.
And all was freaking aces till that damn Youtube and Netflix and everything wanting us to do what we said we would. So that got the government back to breathing down our necks, but by then we had already got the lawyers and the clout to push then down, cause we're the internet, mofos, you listen to US! We had all the money from our addicts, we had all the money from ads and cable. Hell, we was actually charging Youtube and Netflix just to not have us break their legs, and was using that money to crush them in courts. They was paying us to not cripple them, and we was using that to write the laws saying we could! It's just now they want to make us a utility. They want to make us accountable after we got ours. WE GOOOOT OURS, why should we care if you get yours?

Fun read. Are you paraphrasing some famous movie or book per chance?

OT:
Gotta love the language USTA uses, making them look like the good guys to the uninformed.

Expanded broadband my ass. Where I live the only thing we CAN get here is DirectTV (not internet but still.) and fucking Comcast. Not even 10 minutes down where I live my friend is practically a dead zone. You guys aren't expanding anything. You just set up mini empires where everything is fine unless the other empire crosses your toes.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here