SpaceX Is Attempting Another Rocket Landing Today - Update 2

SpaceX Is Attempting Another Rocket Landing Today - Update 2

Another day, another ocean-based reusable rocket landing mission.

Update 2: According to Elon Musk (via Twitter), the Falcon 9 rocket landed on SpaceX's ocean platform, but the impact was "...too hard for survival." The rest of the mission was a success, as the Dragon capsule and Falcon 9 rocket launched, and the capsule is on its way to the ISS.

Update: Due to inclement weather, the launch has been postponed to tomorrow at 4:10pm Eastern Time.

Original Story: SpaceX will make another rocket landing attempt today, as its CRS-6 rocket is due to blast off around 4:33pm Eastern Time.

CRS-6 is a full mission, with the Dragon capsule tasked to couple with the International Space Station after a successful launch. But after the Dragon detaches from the Falcon 9 rocket, the rocket's first stage will re-enter the Earth's atmosphere, and attempt to land on SpaceX's ocean-based floating platform.

SpaceX's first attempt to land a reusable Falcon 9 rocket ended with the rocket exploding on the platform due to a bad angle, while the second attempt was scrubbed due to bad weather.

The Falcon 9 landing aside, CRS-6 a standard ISS resupply mission, done on contract with NASA. The Dragon capsule will have, among other cargo, 15 small satellites to be used in ISS missions. The unmanned Falcon/Dragon missions currently only carry hardware and supplies to the ISS, but crew changes will eventually )hopefully) be added to the platform as well.

Source: SpaceX

And they scrubbed the launch due to weather. Here's hoping we'll get to see something tomorrow.

I'm really hoping they can pull this off. It would be a nice way to show that we actually can advance beyond one use everything when it comes to space.

Also, it'd just be really cool to see (granted, the crash of the last one was pretty amazing, too).

"...too hard for survival."

anyone worth their salt on KSP knows...

SpaceX scrubs. git gud.[1]

[1] but really, I'm glad to see it was a success

I wish they showed video of the attempted landing. The take off was interesting enough, and they averaged about 1086 mph. But I want to see this failed landing.

Baresark:
I wish they showed video of the attempted landing. The take off was interesting enough, and they averaged about 1086 mph. But I want to see this failed landing.

According to Musk's twitter, they'll have video once they recover it from the barge in a couple days

Zakarath:

Baresark:

According to Musk's twitter, they'll have video once they recover it from the barge in a couple days

Gotcha. Thanks for the update. I'll watch out for that one.

Well, they've got the bit about getting to the boat nailed, they just need to work on the bit about slowing down first...

flying_whimsy:
I'm really hoping they can pull this off. It would be a nice way to show that we actually can advance beyond one use everything when it comes to space.

Dunno, one use stuff is used because it's reasonably reliable. Assuming reusable is just better with the Space Shuttle did NASA no favours.

thaluikhain:

flying_whimsy:

Dunno, one use stuff is used because it's reasonably reliable. Assuming reusable is just better with the Space Shuttle did NASA no favours.

It only served as the main space work horse for decades and put the ISS in orbit. :P

The problem with the space shuttle is it was never meant to be in service that long (it was the most complex machine ever built), but since nasa's budget is always first to get cut they had to put a hold on developing a less expensive, simpler alternative. The fact that it was reusable is why we had it in service for so long.

Recovery and maintenance checks are always going to be cheaper than building from scratch for each launch.

OT: Too bad the recovery attempt failed. I'm looking forward to seeing the video as the last one was pretty spectacular.

Think of Reusable like a Water-bottle. You can re-use it for years. You only spend money on it once. And you can refill it with fresh water (generally) for free.
A one-time use, is like buying Bottled Water. It might be cheap, individually, (versus the higher 1 time cost of the reusable water bottle) but after a few years, you've already spent that reusable bottle 30 times over.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here