Game Over, Man! BBC Casts Bill Paxton As Jack Thompson For GTA Film

Game Over, Man! BBC Casts Bill Paxton As Jack Thompson For GTA Film

Bill Paxton 310x

You're dead meat, pilgrim!

Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen! Bill Paxton (Aliens, Twister) has been cast as everyone's favorite video game hatin' ex-attorney.

Deadline is reporting that everyone's favorite space marine is playing Jack Thompson in BBC Films' upcoming Grand Theft Auto drama. Thompson, who's been involved in legal skirmishes with everyone from Rockstar to Howard Stern to 2 Live Crew, is positioned to be one of the film's main antagonists.

The film will focus on Sam Houser, played by Daniel Radcliffe (better known as the namesake in the Harry Potter films, as he starts Rockstar Games with his brother Dan, and brings the Grand Theft Auto franchise into the pop culture eye. While the film will focus on Houser, Paxton's Jack Thompson will play a significant role, given his various lawsuits and complaints filed against Rockstar and Take-Two.

Thompson started his legal crusade against Rockstar back in 2003, when he inserted himself into Dustin Lynch's murder trial. While Lynch eventually dismissed his attempts to become involved, Thompson would go on to inject himself into similar proceedings in Tennessee and Alabama. Thompson also filed suit against several large retail chains in order to see Rockstar's Bully banned from sale.

Thompson was disbarred in his home state of Florida in 2008.

Grand Theft Auto starts filming in South Africa next week.

Source: Deadline

A shame really. I dont think theres a more perfect man for the role of Jack Thompson than Jack Thompson.

Obviously, if you wanted to cast a bitter legislator, you would get a bitter legislator, right?

Really? The origins of RockStar and GTA are being made into a movie? Seems kinda weird that this will be the subject of a film.

gigastar:
A shame really. I dont think theres a more perfect man for the role of Jack Thompson than Jack Thompson.

Obviously, if you wanted to cast a bitter legislator, you would get a bitter legislator, right?

Unfortunately, there's no way in hell the guy would actually help this out. I mean, he's obviously the bad guy and it would only serve to humiliate him AGAIN.

OT: I'm in.

FalloutJack:

gigastar:

Unfortunately, there's no way in hell the guy would actually help this out. I mean, he's obviously the bad guy and it would only serve to humiliate him AGAIN.

OT: I'm in.

I honestly can't think of a better casting, Paxton is great when he's in the role of an antagonist, especially when he gets 8 episodes to chew on the scenery.

FalloutJack:

gigastar:

Well, its not like playing the part as himself is going to make him look any worse than getting disbarred did.

And i cant imagine his new job pays more than whichever lobbying group used to sponsor him before.

Zontar:
I honestly can't think of a better casting, Paxton is great when he's in the role of an antagonist, especially when he gets 8 episodes to chew on the scenery.

True, but this is a movie. Id be surprised if he got even 20 mins of screentime in total.

And considering that this role will require him to fire off a bunch of legal jargon, well...

Anything that gives us more Bill Paxton lines is good. Giving them the twist of being from a real life lawyer with no idea how reality works is even better.

Zontar:
Snip

gigastar:
Snip

Hey, I am totally on-board for Paxton. He is a great actor.

All I could think is "That's it, man. Game over, man. Game over!"

Oh god, please be done like Holy Flying Circus.

Come on Aunty, you've got another one in you yet.

Bat Vader:
Really? The origins of RockStar and GTA are being made into a movie? Seems kinda weird that this will be the subject of a film.

It will be more of a dramatisation of factual events (or a "docudrama") than a movie, something the BBC is very good at making.

You could argue that the 1980's battle of the 8-bit home computers in Britain between Sinclair and Acorn would be a weird subject for a film, but Micro Men was fucking brilliant (i.e. informative as well as well written, with great performances by good, well know actors and thoroughly entertaining overall), so I expect this dramatic documentary about GTA that will also be produced by the BBC will be of a very similar quality.

Devin Connors:
Game Over, Man!

Life aligned itself so perfectly for that to happen, didn't it?

Did I miss the memo or something? The majority of people in this thread seem to be acting like the production of this film/documentary is old news. When did this first become known?

Now THIS is a movie I can get psyched for.

Bat Vader:

What seems weird about it? GTA 5 is the best selling (in terms of total money) entertainment media of all time, and throughout their existence GTA (and other games like Bully) have been central to the argument over violence in video games and popular culture. Documentaries, biopics, and so on, are made about far less influential people and products and far less important social and legal issues all the time.

If they made a movie about something as pedestrian as Facebook, why not GTA?

So the BBC is making a docudrama about a US video game company and filming it in South Africa? Sounds legit to me.

While everyone seems to be excited to have another chance to spit in the face of Jack Thompson, I'm rather weary of the bbc when it comes to anything relating to video games: they have an agenda and a history of feeding the moral panic end of things. That their movie is related to the best selling video game in history (and one of the best selling pieces of entertainment ever) seems like little more than a cash grab or a chance to try and put some sort of negative political spin on that success.

It'll be awesome to see Bill Paxton as Thompson, though. I can't wait to hear some of the more outrageous things the guy said put into a dramatic context with music and timing behind it. I just hope they don't make him an ugly caricature and strawman more than he already was: he is still a human being, after all. A dumb, opportunistic asshole of a human being.

Does that mean Jack Thompson will die in the movie ?

Bat Vader:

It was the most boring thing they could think of at short notice.

flying_whimsy:
So the BBC is making a docudrama about a US video game company and filming it in South Africa?

No, the BBC is making a docudrama about the rags-to-riches life-story of 2 English brothers, the British games development studio they worked for in Scotland, the multinational company they founded, and their British studio which produces one of the biggest and most successful video game franchises in history... and the BBC is filming some parts in South Africa.

The story of GTA is a quintessential British success story and well within the remit of the BBC to cover in a docudrama without bias or attempting to disparage GTA or it's creators in any way.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here