Marvel Comics Outs A Founding X-Man As Gay

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Marvel Comics Outs A Founding X-Man As Gay

All-New X-Men 1

According to leaked pages from All-New X-Men #40, one of the original mutants from X-Men is gay.

Spoiler Warning: The following contains spoilers for the upcoming All-New X-Men #40.

Marvel Comics has been pushing hard for diversity among superheroes, whether introducing Miles Morales as Spider-Man or assembling an all-female Avengers team. Now the upcoming All-New X-Men #40 offers a major shake-up of its own - the revelation that Bobby "Iceman" Drake is gay.

Written by Brian Michael Bendis, All-New X-Men focuses on the original teenaged X-Men team cast forward in time to present day. According to leaked pages from Issue 40 - posted on sites like New Now Next - Jean Grey finally confronts Iceman about his sexuality after he continues to overcompensate with the team. Since Iceman can't hide his true feelings from a telepath, he finally admits he's not only bisexual - he's "full gay".

Here's where it gets tricky - the adult Iceman is, from all appearances, completely straight. Jean Grey acknowledges, however, that the adult Iceman doesn't have a great track record with women and the issue might be complicated. The young Iceman theorizes that "maybe he couldn't handle being a mutant and gay in a society that had issues with both ... and one is easier to 'put away' than the other". There's no clear answer within these leaked pages, but according to a prepared statement from Bendis, more will be revealed in time.

"There are thousands if not millions of stories of people who, for many different reasons, felt the need to hide their sexuality," Bendis said. "The X-Men, with the conceit of time travel, give us a fascinating platform in which to examine such personal journeys ... This is just the first little chapter of a much larger story that will be told."

We'll likely have to wait for future issues to learn more. All-New X-Men #40 hits comic book shelves on Wednesday, but you can also see the leaked pages below.

Source: New Now Next, via Comic Book Resources

Wasn't that a joke on Family Guy or something?

I somehow feel like this was already known or hinted at under other writers in the past.
I'm not as up on X-Men lore as others, but I'm pretty sure this has been touched on before in the past.

The bigger issue here is: why is she reading his mind without consent? She just mind-raped him.

Ukomba:

Yes it was.

The tact of a telepath is that of a house cat with a 1 legged mouse.

Wait, so teenage Iceman is gay. But adult Iceman is straight, but they're the same person just at different points in time along the same life?

And the explanation is apparently that he quit being gay because it's the easier option? What?

Also, way to keep the mind reading in a classy place, teenage Jean. "I know I read your mind without consent to find your deepest, darkest secret, but it's cool, everyone on the team is fine with it."

Yay, trendy revisionism of existing characters. No way that could prove controversial.

Anyway, I thought Colossus was already gay?

Using your telepathy to probe someones mind and forcing them to confront a part of themselves they want to keep hidden and all the while they're saying "stop, no, don't."
Councillor Troi would be Ashamed of you Miss Grey.

Batou667:
Yay, trendy revisionism of existing characters. No way that could prove controversial.

I thought that was just Ultimate U Colossus - Earth 616 Colossus was always straight.

The dialogue in the earlier panels, and therefore the way they've outed Bobby is so... clumsy. The later panels work once they've managed to get the fact out there and Jean starts talking to Bobby like a person again, but those first one or two panels look like the writers didn't know how to reveal it without just saying it.

Also, Family Guy totally called this.

Also, also, don't quite understand the mangled dialogue about later Bobby not being gay or choosing to hide it or something.

Oh god they did use the words "full gay"... My issue with this is it just seems really really clumsily written.

... *sigh* So, Northstar wasn't available anymore? They just had to shoe horn in this. I'm not even getting angry at these things anymore. It's just... Pathetic.

Um, doesn't this push the idea that being gay is a choice? I mean, if the older him chose to be straight...

Does this all seem lazy grab for notoriety to anyone else?

Ukomba:
Um, doesn't this push the idea that being gay is a choice? I mean, if the older him chose to be straight...

And we have a winner. But if subscribing to the Invincible school of 'same panel over and over with no background' wasn't enough indication of this team's laziness... I mean, they didn't even remove the movement lines. It's like Jean Grey is doing a cheerleading routine in that page.

Fanghawk:

Batou667:

I thought that was just Ultimate U Colossus - Earth 616 Colossus was always straight.

Does Ultimate anyone still exist? I have no idea what happened to that universe after it got merged with the 616 (I'd also not consider anyone from that universe a "founding member" of any hero team that wasn't specifically the Ultimates version if that was the case).

I won't lie, I hate it when they retro-actively decide to change a character like that. I don't keep up with comics, was this ever foreshadowed, or was he always straight until now?

Also, that's one of the worst, heavy handed explanations I've ever seen. "I can't be gay and a mutant, so I'll just stop being gay now." I mean, what? That's some really weak revision. And it's a little bit offensive. Why didn't they just introduce a new character or something?

Props for the dialogue, though, it was actually pretty snappy. And Jeanne's body language was adorable.

"Do you think Angel is gay?"
"No."

lol.

"I'm sorry, you're son has... full blown gay"

Also, "Thank God I invaded your privacy like that!"

Also, by the way, does this make him double gay so straight again? Because I thought being a mutant was already used as metaphore for being gay... You know, when they actually wrote good stories.

Marvel is more concerned with politics now than telling a good story.

Zontar:

Fanghawk:

Batou667:

Does Ultimate anyone still exist? I have no idea what happened to that universe after it got merged with the 616 (I'd also not consider anyone from that universe a "founding member" of any hero team that wasn't specifically the Ultimates version if that was the case).

the Universes haven't been merged yet. That's coming up soon with Secret Wars. Ultimate Colossus was still alive last I checked.

Virtual Boy:

It's actually a plan to kill their comics so they can focus on movies [/halfjoke]

Ukomba:

Yeah! Ice man visited, what, a gay movie store or strip club or something? And his 'girlfriend' found out.

So he's full happy.

Entirely more happy than they thought.

Ukomba:

I'm fairly certain they didn't mean he actually stopped being homosexual, he just chose to act as though he wasn't. You know, like lots of gay people do in the real world before they manage to come to terms with it.

crimson5pheonix:

Virtual Boy:

It's actually a plan to kill their comics so they can focus on movies [/halfjoke]

Well, they did cancel the Fantastic Four comic because they didn't have the rights to the film series, so they are willing to punish their own fans over the movies.

LifeCharacter:

I'm fairly certain they didn't mean he actually stopped being homosexual, he just chose to act as though he wasn't. You know, like lots of gay people do in the real world before they manage to come to terms with it.

That's how I read it as well. The older Iceman also struggled with his feelings and attractions, but decided to bury them down and deny they exist.

A gay character confirmed as actually closeted? A difficult topic and it'll be interesting to see how they handle it. That being said, The sample pages make it look clumsy as fuck, and while I'm always happy to see more gay characters, this seems a little out of the blue. Then again, that kind of describes every Marvel retcon ever.

Side note: Gay people "deciding" they're going to hide or suppress their sexuality isn't uncommon, and I don't see how having a character do so is offensive.

Zontar:

Fanghawk:

Batou667:

Hasn't quite happened yet and with exception of the one we know about in that Avengers book, we're not sure who's making it.

The original question: Colossus 616 is straight, though the crush he had for Kitty Pryde well before she was above the age of consent has made him the butt of a few pedophile jokes over the years.

My take on this: clumsly written, even by comics standards. Yet another "shocking" twist to appeal to the SJ demographic. Opens a big can of worms over the whole born or choice thing, and worst of all, needless.

I'm not saying this to avoid gay characters in comics. I'm saying this because we already have some that could have the exposure. I've wanted ultimate Spider Woman to get a solo book for years. Wiccan and Hulkling could use more time (in a better Young avengers book than the last one). Lightspeed (the oldest daughter in Power Pack) was dating the alien girl from the Runaways. Biggest disappointment to Guardians of the Galaxy is the lack of Phylia and Moondragon. Hell, if you want to tell a similar story without the time travel issues, Marvel's loved changing sexualities of characters in alternate universes.

Ah screw it. Here's the list

http://marvel.wikia.com/Category:Homosexual_Characters

Drop the shock value and give some lower tiers some screen time.

I don't know what's funnier, that Family Guy actually called it a long time ago or that it's not Cyclops.

The Wooster:
A gay character confirmed as actually closeted? A difficult topic and it'll be interesting to see how they handle it. That being said, The sample pages make it look clumsy as fuck, and while I'm always happy to see more gay characters, this seems a little out of the blue. Then again, that kind of describes every Marvel retcon ever.

That's what I'm wondering, will older Bobby's sexuality come up or is this just a one time hand waving to explain away young Bobby being "full gay".

crimson5pheonix:

Virtual Boy:

I wouldn't past them to try to kill their comic to Cripple Fox's X-Men Movies so they could get it back.

Why? just cause marvel needs diversity? thats dumb, don't turn characters gay just cause you need to push diversity, create a character that from the start is gay, and please don't make it the atraction point, this should be his/her background not the part that defines the character.

So I guess that makes Iceman... flaming?

OT: Cool stuff, can't complain. Just wondering how long it'll be until they reboot this and make it non-canon :p

LifeCharacter:

Ukomba:

That'd make sense if the comic didn't also say - via the psychic with a obvious pension for reading people's minds whenever she feels like it - that adult Iceman isn't gay.

So either the writing is inconsistent, or they're implying you can quit being gay if you want to. Either way this comes off poorly handled.

As mentioned above by others, once it gets the realization part out of the way it gets a bit better, writing wise, but it just feels lazy.

Somehow I'm struggling to give a shit.

Maybe it's because I've never read the comics or the mere fact that Action, violence and gore seems to be more suited rather than SJW gossip. If you're gonna do it, don't make it a big thing.

Again, I've never read the comics. Maybe I'm missing the hundreds of theories about something.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.