Total War: Warhammer Finally Gets Official Announcement

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Total War: Warhammer Finally Gets Official Announcement

"The tide of war seems endless."

We've known it was coming for a long time, but today SEGA has officially revealed their upcoming collaboration with miniatures wargaming juggernaut Games Workshop, Total War: Warhammer, by way of a cinematic trailer. The video shows the involvement of five distinct Warhammer Fantasy forces, including The Empire, Dwarves, Orcs & Goblins, Vampire Counts, and Chaos.

This is just the start. SEGA has stated that Total War: Warhammer is the first of three planned installments, and the games will be further expanded with additional content packs. SEGA claims the full collection will be, "the largest Total War experience ever."

Talk of the game first surfaced in 2012, when Creative Assembly obtained the Warhammer license. Earlier this year, the title was confirmed by Creative Assembly's creative director, Mike Simpson, in the pages of The Art of Total War.

The cinematics alone are enough to get any Warhammer fan's blood pumping. The only question I have is, when are we going to see some Skaven action? I love those furry little bastards.

Source: YouTube

The lack of any of the Elf factions or the Skaven in the trailer makes me think that they will be dlc. If that is the case then no matter how much I have wanted a game like this for so many years it can fuck right off.

Bretonians or GTFO.

Wake me when the chaos faction is tzeentch focused and plays like crusader kings but with a better intrigue system, skaven are a faction I don't have to pay extra for, or dawn of war 3 and/or space marine 2 has been announced...

Because, I'll say I'm interested in this but the factions need to run the way they're supposed to. For example, chaos, if it includes chaos then it needs cultists and if it has cultists then they need the ability to turn a society on its head from the inside.

And I doubt that kind of fun is going to be part of it.

Sorry, but I'm just not interested. Maybe I would have been a few years back, but since then I've developed an outright hatred for Games Workshop and all their greedy, shameless hackery and Creative Assembly have lost a few points of respect as well for milking the Total War franchise a bit too hard, putting out Rome II in a state that most people I asked said was disappointing, and allowing Total War: Kingdoms (another "insert money here to play" P2W piece of crap) to be made. Besides, from the sounds of it, this is going to be another incomplete, half-assed, skeletal framework of a game designed to hang endless amounts of DLC on, and those can fuck right off.

Call me a cynic if you like but, as Jim said this week, I don't see any good reason why I shouldn't be.

Another beautiful, but content-free trailer. Nothing to go on yet, but I'm happy they're not touting pre-order bonuses yet *cough* Battlefront *cough*

Well that was the quickest Chaos corruption I've ever seen. 0_0

Hawki:

Well, he was reading a book dedicated to Tzeentch the changer of ways :P

I'll wait for reviews to roll in before I even consider purchasing this game. Got horribly burned on Rome 2, plus I doubt Tomb Kings (My preferred faction) is going to be in any of the first couple releases. (Anyone suggesting I just play Vampire Counts instead can go drink from the Fountain of Eternal

Life for all I care.)

Captcha: I like Humans
All hail our Captcha overlord!

Alright... if I can play Dwarves as an independent faction, Alien Colonial Marines will be forgotten Sega.

I can see myself getting this game, and all the DLC... on a Steam sale. I don't fancy paying for stuff that has obviously been cut out of the final product to be repackaged as DLC.

Cinematic trailers are cinematic trailers...

And those of the warhammer fantasy kind have allways been awesome... just think back on how awesome the warhammer online trailer and opening video was.

But they say nothing about the game itselfe, nor about the quality or DLC shenanigans...

Chances are the game will be piece mealed to costumers even more so then former total war games. That the AI will be a horrible mess just like former total war games. And that there will be horrible horrible graphic and game engine bugs galore. Atleast thats what has happened with almost all total war games to date.

So yeah.. im in the wait and see camp because warhammer fantasy is actually something that perfectly fits the total war franchise... as has been proven by the total conversion mod for medieval

So....does this mean my Medieval mods I've been playing for five years will finally get a graphics update? Cause that's all I'm understanding this to be as of right now.

About time. But I won't pre-order. CA won't be able to rely on my blind devotion this time.

Make sure you do it right.

I was annoyed the starting factions were restricted to only Greenskins, Empire, Vampire Counts and Dwarfs at first. But if you take into account how many factions there are in the game and how vastly different each one is in terms of art and play style, I think I'm ok with this. And yes, they're going to nickel and dime the crap out of each faction pack, no doubt about it. But at least in this case, each faction is actually different.

No more padding every faction out with generic 'spearmen' or 'militia' units like they do in other Totalwar games. If they can capture the complexity and awesomeness of each army, it might almost be worth the extra costs to unlock it. They need to be REALLY careful not to be too greedy though.

Couple dev replies from the reddit thread:

CA:
The races in Warhammer are massively different in variation and content compared to factions we've depicted in our games before. Given the huge variety in creatures, characters and machines in the Warhammer world, we've decided to go deep rather than wide.

CA:
We are planning full game follow-ups, DLC content packs and Free-DLC to follow the main release.
These will include new playable Lords, units, races and more.
We will talk about these in time, but for now, our focus is on crafting a deep, rich and content-heavy main game.

Take from those what you will. I'm still approaching this with massive skepticism, but at least the early indicators are they are trying to focus on quality and not quantity (which I think has been a big problem for them of late)

If it releases in a playable state then at least it will be an improvement. I also heard that there is going to be 2 stand alone expansion this time, instead of the usual 1. Any ideas what those will be? End Times seems like an obvious choice, and maybe Storm of Magic or Sigmar's Rise.
As for there only being 4 playable factions I don't have a problem with that. They are adding a lot of stuff in this game: magic, heroes, flying units, giant monsters and magic wielding heroes riding giant flying monsters. Work on getting those things right with a few factions before trying to balance in the other 10+ armies.

Well, I swore that Rome 2 would be my last CA purchase, I give credit to them for coming up with gimmicks to make me interested at least.

Still not entirely sure if I'll pre-order. I have an uncomfortably few hours logged into Rome so far and as far as I'm concerned they didn't bother fixing the major issues before moving on to Attila.

I hope it's more of a Medieval 2 than the most recent TW games. Having a high variety of units is what I want, I like each faction to feel unique and not just have slightly different stats for spearmen.

ron1n:
I was annoyed the starting factions were restricted to only Greenskins, Empire, Vampire Counts and Dwarfs at first.

Where are people getting this idea? That trailer would seem to suggest some flavour of Chaos will be involved too, and I'd be very surprised (and horribly disappointed) if they were limited to NPC only.

Megalodon:

Where are people getting this idea? That trailer would seem to suggest some flavour of Chaos will be involved too, and I'd be very surprised (and horribly disappointed) if they were limited to NPC only.

Because the developers confirmed those will be the initial playable factions for release in the main reddit thread.

My guess is Chaos will be some kind of adversary for all factions in the main campaign story. Probably will become playable at a later date.

Like many others, I was burnt with Rome 2... so while I am interested, I won't be pre-ordering, and definitely won't be buying this at full price.

Gizmo1990:
The lack of any of the Elf factions or the Skaven in the trailer makes me think that they will be dlc. If that is the case then no matter how much I have wanted a game like this for so many years it can fuck right off.

I don't really have a problem with it. Content takes time and money to produce. We already have Empire, Dwarves, Greenskins, Vampires, and Chaos announced, off the top of my head the Warhammer world also contains High Elves, Wood Elves, Dark Elves, Skaven (multiple factions with plenty of infighting), Chaos Dwarves, Bretonnia, Slaan/Lizardfolk, Necromancers (less of a full faction but could fill a nomad horde sort of role), those Egyptian undead guys I forget the name of. Plus Chaos can really be five or six full factions depending on how you split it (the four major gods, chaos undivided, and demons as a separate army from cultists as was done for 40K). That's at least 13 major factions with extremely different civilisations, units and play styles, and probably as many as 20 or more if you really want to go all out. Even if you just want some of the better known and better established factions, you're probably looking at at least 8 (skaven and at least two elves, presumably high and dark).

If you look at a comparable game like Dawn of War, there are only 4 different factions in the original game, and only 9 after three expansions. It's really not reasonable to get upset over a brand new video game not containing all the content from a franchise that has been developed for over 30 years. With a game like this it's an absolute certainty that not all factions will be present on initial release. If some of the ones missing happen to be those you like that's a shame, but not at all a good reason to start hurling abuse at the developers. If we get a decent game with enough content to justify the price, then the addition of DLC later should be considered a good thing, not bad. And if we don't get a good game to start with, DLC will be irrelevant to the abuse it deserves for that.

And of course, that's assuming that the first official mention of the game actually tells us the full extent of the races involved. For all we know there actually are 20 different factions in the game and they just couldn't fit them all in one trailer.

Anti-American Eagle:
Wake me when the chaos faction is tzeentch focused and plays like crusader kings but with a better intrigue system, skaven are a faction I don't have to pay extra for, or dawn of war 3 and/or space marine 2 has been announced...

Because, I'll say I'm interested in this but the factions need to run the way they're supposed to. For example, chaos, if it includes chaos then it needs cultists and if it has cultists then they need the ability to turn a society on its head from the inside.

Well the chaos faction does seem to be tzeentch focussed, though we don't know how that will show. We see a high demon of tzeentch, i think. And that blueish corruption that infects the priest clearly represents the color of tzeentch. Given CA's track record i think diplomacy and intrigue will suck as always though.

You know what the game needs:

T O M B K I N G S
O
M
B
K
I
N
G
S

Amaror:

Anti-American Eagle:

Well the chaos faction does seem to be tzeentch focussed, though we don't know how that will show. We see a high demon of tzeentch, i think. And that blueish corruption that infects the priest clearly represents the color of tzeentch. Given CA's track record i think diplomacy and intrigue will suck as always though.

The book he was reading had Tzeentch's star on it.
And yes that was a Lord of change.

However that could mean very little as this was just a cinematic trailer and has no value in determining what the game will be like.

Oh gods yes. I feel like the Total War series is one of the few ways to do Warhammer justice, so long as they don't do something screwing everything up.

See I'm just not interested in Fantasy. Hardly anyone is, at least compared to 40k numbers. Don't get me wrong, the Fantasy video games are kinda' fun. But every time I play one I always think I'd be having more fun with a chainsword.

They'd be better off making Total War: Armageddon or Total War: Hive Fleet. Then again, they also need to make Supreme Commander: Horus Heresy

A little disappointed that it won't be shipping with Lizardmen and Skaven playable. But, besides that, this is me right now:

Love this, love everything about it but unless I can get it DRM free I will alas not be playing.

TallanKhan:
Love this, love everything about it but unless I can get it DRM free I will alas not be playing.

Captcha: i'm batman - So, you finally found a way to make me admit my secret did you?

Oops, accidentally double posted.

RejjeN:
I'll wait for reviews to roll in before I even consider purchasing this game. Got horribly burned on Rome 2 [...]

After the atrocious & broken botch of Rome II, I can't bring myself to consider any Total War game. I hope I'll be convinced otherwise, but the contempt for the customer that Rome II demonstrated is nigh on unforgivable.

Gennadios:
Well, I swore that Rome 2 would be my last CA purchase, I give credit to them for coming up with gimmicks to make me interested at least.

Still not entirely sure if I'll pre-order. I have an uncomfortably few hours logged into Rome so far and as far as I'm concerned they didn't bother fixing the major issues before moving on to Attila.

They've burned you before, there will be no shortage of the game. Just act like a sane responsible human being and do the right thing. Wait for it to release and find out if it's actually good before dropping money on it.

They need to earn your trust and your money. The company is not your abusive, yet lovable significant other. They have to come to you, they beg you to come to them, they have to earn the right to even partake of your time - let alone your money.

You are the one in control and making the decisions, so do the right thing: DO. NOT. PRE-ORDER. EVER!

You can still buy the damn game on release, if it turns out to be good and no shenanigans about not allowing reviews until after release are going on (and no reviews on release is a pretty good indication of a stinker). You lose nothing by waiting. BE STRONG!

OT: Won't lie, I really want this to be good. But I'm not filled with confidence they'll be able to pull it of. There's very high expectations, given how complex the source material is. Purists will complain to no end no matter what, that much is clear already, but I sincerely hope they'll manage to build a good game out of the Warhammer material.

Im concerned that with recent releases such as attila and the fact that they are reducing factions because of asset diversity that other factions will be rather lacking if even included in attila there where only four major faction diversities with the celts just using germanic units.

I guess I can make do with Gobos and the Undead until the eventual Lizardmen DLC... which will inevitably happen if this does well.

So it turns out the expansions while standalone also combine with the main game to add more factions and sections of the map. Which means that the single greatest problem with the TW series, that CA never follows up on their games, isn't going to happen. It means we will likely be getting at least twelve factions represented well by the end of this.

Also I find the people complaining about Rome 2 to be rather hilarious. Do you not follow the series at all? Were you not there for Empire or the first Rome (which, yes, was horrible on release)? The first game in an iteration being bad is pretty much par for the course with TW. Shogun 2 is the only one where that isn't the case, and even then FotS is legions better than the main game.

What this means for Warhammer TW is that that isn't happening, because they are now apparently following some of Paradox's much better DLC model. This is a very good thing, if you want quality gameplay.

Which is also the only way we're going to get the Warhammer world represented anywhere close to how it should be. That isn't going to come in a $60 product, and I'm glad that CA seems to be recognizing some of their limitations. Yes I'm sad that playable Chaos and Bretonnia won't be in the main release, but I can live with that if the base game they make is fantastic.

Also, we seriously need naval battles done well. I need my Dwarven ironclads, and they're going to need to be in there if we want to represent the High and Dark Elves' power properly. So I'm guessing they'll come with the expansion that adds Naggaroth and Ulthuan.

Hawki:

I remember reading a Witch Hunter comic where Nurgle zombies were attacking a village; as soon as they touched someone it was instant rot, hunger, and general blasphemy. I guess most people aren't able to fend off such an attack on their soul, especially if there really was a Lord of Change bound up in there.

DarkArk:
Also I find the people complaining about Rome 2 to be rather hilarious. Do you not follow the series at all? Were you not there for Empire or the first Rome (which, yes, was horrible on release)? The first game in an iteration being bad is pretty much par for the course with TW. Shogun 2 is the only one where that isn't the case, and even then FotS is legions better than the main game.

I remember those, but the difference was that those games did eventually get better because CA kept working on them. Almost 2 years on and there's still huge bugs in Rome that makes it almost unplayable. Usually they do much better support.

General Torg:
If it releases in a playable state then at least it will be an improvement. I also heard that there is going to be 2 stand alone expansion this time, instead of the usual 1. Any ideas what those will be? End Times seems like an obvious choice, and maybe Storm of Magic or Sigmar's Rise.

I imagine that the two planned ones are going to be a Storm of Chaos-esque one where they expand the map north and bring in playable Chaos and High Elves, and a Lustria one for Lizardmen, Tomb Kings, and Skaven. I can't see them doing a big jump in time back to Sigmar because they would have to rewrite all the armies back a couple thousand years, or trying to do the stupid End Times plot because that takes away from the player trying to achieve victory by just blowing everything up.

OT: I spoke with some other people about it, and the conclusion we came to is that they are going to break up the races into different factions; for example, the Empire by Province, the Dwarfs by Hold, etc. They've said that there's only the 4 playable races, but they imply there's going to be more factions. I hope it pans out well, and they can handle the "different factions working for the same goal" better than they did with the Roman Senate.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here