Sony Pictures Announces Animated Spider-Man Movie for 2018

Sony Pictures Announces Animated Spider-Man Movie for 2018

Sony has announced a new animated Spider-Man movie that it will release in theaters on July 20th, 2018.

One of the biggest pieces of recent news to come out of the Marvel Cinematic Universe was the reveal that Sony, Disney and Marvel had finally come to terms that will allow Spider-Man to take his rightful place as a member of its ever-evolving continuity. Put shortly, the character will join the MCU with Sony collaborating with Marvel Studio but retaining control of Spidey's film rights. A new stand-alone Spider-Man film is, in turn, planned for release in June 2017 with the new Spider-Man himself set to debut in Captain America: Civil War. Even with these lofty plans in action however, it would seem that Sony wants more.

In an announcement yesterday, Sony revealed plans to create a new animated Spider-Man movie for theatrical release. The film, which is currently slated to hit cinemas on July 20th, 2018 will be produced by Phil Lord and Chris Miller. Moviegoers may remember the duo from their work on The LEGO Movie, arguably one of 2014's more unexpected critical and box office successes. Sony Pictures chairmain Tim Rothman has also confirmed that the new animated feature "will exist independently of the projects in the live-action Spider-Man universe." In other words, this movie will have nothing to do with the MCU.

Speaking personally, I'm not really sure what Sony Pictures hopes to accomplish with this. I could be wrong, but I don't think there's anyone out there who was sitting around thinking "You know what we need? A separate animated Spider-Man franchise." Heck, you'd think after the failure of The Amazing Spider-Man movies that Sony might want to just cool its jets for awhile and let Marvel take the wheel. That being said, there's no reason this has necessarily have to be bad and if Sony Pictures can produce something worthwhile with this new approach, we'll all be better off.

Source: Variety

Depends on the age of the view I guess. I know for a fact all three of my kids would love this.

Ukomba:
Depends on the age of the view I guess. I know for a fact all three of my kids would love this.

This is true. In fact, I suppose you could even say Sony might be position this as an alternative for parents who aren't comfortable with the more violent elements of the MCU

Are we talking CGI, or traditional animation? Because I want to see some god damned traditional animation hit the cinemas again.

Hm, normally you would expect them to announce it a year or so before launch.

RJ Dalton:
Are we talking CGI, or traditional animation? Because I want to see some god damned traditional animation hit the cinemas again.

Im willing to bet its just going to be CGI. SPEA has no reason to do traditional, especially when the competition in that space includes Dreamworks and however many animation studios Disney owns now.

Or we could be surprised, i dont remember the last time a western anime made its debut in theaters.

gigastar:
Hm, normally you would expect them to announce it a year or so before launch.

RJ Dalton:

Im willing to bet its just going to be CGI. SPEA has no reason to do traditional, especially when the competition in that space includes Dreamworks and however many animation studios Disney owns now.

Or we could be surprised, i dont remember the last time a western anime made its debut in theaters.

What?

Disney and dreamworks are only doing cgi movies these days. If they went animated they'd be able to avoid having to directly compete against them.

But they probably will go cgi because the guys in charge will think "Everybody is doing CGI so that's probably where all the money is!"

Say what you want about Sony's Spidey movies, but Spectacular Spider-Man was the best super hero cartoon ever. Ever ever. If this is even half as good as Spectacular, then I'm on board.

RJ Dalton:

gigastar:

esserin:

What?

Disney and dreamworks are only doing cgi movies these days. If they went animated they'd be able to avoid having to directly compete against them.

But they probably will go cgi because the guys in charge will think "Everybody is doing CGI so that's probably where all the money is!"

Come now, it's not like the last five Spider-Man films weren't mostly CGI anyways.

I'll... see myself to the door.

Actually some animated things go far better than in live action (meaning they don't look as silly) so hoping for the best.

I've always thought that the cartoon versions of Spider-Man were much more faithful, fun, and accurate to the character than the live action ones. I think this is the right move.

Guess its a cheaper way to keep making Spiderman movies. I do wonder if the contract Sony has actually allows for cartoon movies as well as live action? Lets hope they go high quality with the animation.

If they get the guys who did Spectacular Spiderman, then this movie is guaranteed to be a hit.

Otherwise, I have no idea.

voltair27:
If they get the guys who did Spectacular Spiderman, then this movie is guaranteed to be a hit.

Otherwise, I have no idea.

Greg Weisman is busy with Star Wars Rebels now, so that's doubtful. Still, one can dream.

RJ Dalton:

My thoughts exactly. I seriously want them to take that route, especially if it inspires others to explore traditional animation again. Of course, given that Lego Movie was computer animated, we'll have to wait and see.

Otherwise, this is good news. They've finally decided to take the series in a whole new direction, and they got some real talent to work on it. I'm excited to see where this goes.

OMFG SONY. JUST STOP STOP.....stop it. You fucked up and you keep fucking up and now this ? wots the fucking point. Just give it back fully to disney/marval you have no intention of wanting to make money so give it to ppl who know wtf they are doing.

They are only doing this so they can keep the spiderman copyright, if they don't keep using him for useless movies they will have to give him back to marvel.

Setch Dreskar:
They are only doing this so they can keep the spiderman copyright, if they don't keep using him for useless movies they will have to give him back to marvel.

Didn't they already give him back?

It boggles the mind that Sony would prefer to lose money on a franchise than let the rights revert.

Johnny Novgorod:

Setch Dreskar:

Didn't they already give him back?

No, they're sharing him with Marvel, but they'll still get the renew the rights off his solo movies that'll be part of the MCU. This is something else entirely.

An animated movie? And it's being done by the guys who made The Lego Movie?

This could actually work.

008Zulu:
It boggles the mind that Sony would prefer to lose money on a franchise than let the rights revert.

Sony have never lost money on the Spiderman films, the Spiderman films are what have kept Sony pictures going.

ASM2 was profitable it just was not as profitable as Sony want's.

I actually think this is a good idea to be honest. It's stupid to have two competing live action franchises and while Sony retains the rights, it's likely that marvel will have a large say in the creative aspects of any film connected to its universe and I'm betting that was a pre-requisite for marvel agreeing to work with the character in the first place. On the other hand, an animated franchise could prove to be a popular proposition for kids, let them have exposure for kids and and let them cross promote with marvel while keeping their distance at the same time. From a business perspective I don't see the downside. As a fan as well, I really like the ASM comics, so I'd be happy to see some of the stories told in an animated format.

My question is will they have any of the current comic creative team help out and will it be an origin story? The movie opted out of the origin story so here's hoping that we're not gonna see another stupid retelling of the same event again.

P-89 Scorpion:
Sony have never lost money on the Spiderman films, the Spiderman films are what have kept Sony pictures going.

Perhaps not directly, the studio itself isn't doing very well. If they were banking on ASM to save them, then they chose poorly.

Seems pretty sensible really. Take some of the cut from Marvel's use of Spiderman in their live action films, while making Sony's solo films animated to avoid any conflict and audience confusion between the two. Sony win by getting free money from Marvel while keeping the rights and potentially their own profits from animated films, Marvel win by getting to use Spiderman in the MCU, and audiences win by getting Spiderman in the MCU and some animated films that at the very least can't be any worse than the last few live action films. With the added bonus of having people involved who actually seem to know what they're doing with fun animated films. Best case scenario, everyone wins. Worst case scenario, the animated films are shit and everyone except Sony wins.

Sniper Team 4:
I've always thought that the cartoon versions of Spider-Man were much more faithful, fun, and accurate to the character than the live action ones. I think this is the right move.

To be fair, all superhero movies are basically cartoons anyway, so this isn't all that different. That said, I'm an animation nerd and am super stoked to see more animated things in the world.

Speaking personally, I'm not really sure what Sony Pictures hopes to accomplish with this.

My guess? They're planning to torpedo the live (Sony-produced) films completely. They'll need the animated films because - if they don't use the license - they lose it and the rights revert to Marvel.

The film, which is currently slated to hit cinemas on July 20th, 2018 will be produced by Phil Lord and Chris Miller. Moviegoers may remember the duo from their work on The LEGO Movie...

As others have pointed out, animated superhero films tend to more faithful to the source material. There are a lot of reasons for this, but my theory is that the biggest reason is that superhero films fall into the Hollywood "blockbuster" bucket. The directors picked by the studios for blockbusters generally have huge egos and believe they are a lot more creative and talented than they actually are. As a result, they absolutely believe they can "improve" on the source material by shitting all over it. The latest Spider-Man movies are an excellent example of this, but also see Michael Bay's Transformers, Man of Steel, every Fantastic Four film ever made, etc.

Animated films, on the other hand, typically have directors who are (a) more humble; and (b) more likely to have a personal connection to the comics. While animated films have more modest budgets, they aren't as limited by technology and the laws of physics as live-action films and can have incredibly elaborate set pieces that would be prohibitively expensive for a live-action film.

Getting back OT, The Lego Movie was brilliant. My guess is that Lord and Miller approached Sony about this project. Sony may be run by idiots (evidence suggests this is the case, anyways), but even an idiot can see that this looks like a home run. Why wouldn't they approve a proposal like that?

Well, if it's going to be animated, why not hire that one dude from Superhero Movie to voice Spider-Man... What was his name again? "Drake Bell" or some shit like that?

But seriously, as long as J.K. Simmons is voiced JJ Jameson, it can't end up too bad of an animated movie... I mean, the producers from The LEGO Movie are on board, so that's already leeway for the movie to be no less than "slightly above average" at best...

I've been saying for a while now that DC should be doing this with their movies: it's a niche that has not been getting filled except by straight to video releases. DC is by far stronger when it comes to animated features. Marvel is...less than successful by comparison.

I'm curious to see what Sony picks as its target audience for this movie. I suspect that'll be the make or break decision for that venture.

If it ain't continuing the story from Spectacular Spider-Man, then I don't think this is going to work out.

As long as it doesn't turn out like Foodfight! then it should be at least half decent.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here