Gengar is Gonna be in That Pokemon Fighting Game

Gengar is Gonna be in That Pokemon Fighting Game

Everyone's favorite chubby purple ghost will be a playable character in Pokken Tournament.

Pokken Tournament - Nintendo's new Tekken-style Pokemon fighting game - has just had a new fighter revealed: Gengar, everyone's favorite chubby purple ghost. You can see his reveal in the trailer to the right, which shows him throwing down with the likes of Lucario and Pikachu, using his shadowy tricks to gain an advantage.

Nintendo and Bandai Namco announced the new fighter at the NicoNico Chokaigi 2015 event, where more footage and information about the game was also revealed. We now know that the game will launch in Japanese arcades this summer, though we have no further info on if it will make its way to consoles, or even American arcades.

Previously, Nintendo revealed Pikachu, Gardevoir and Suicene as playable fighters for the game, as well as showing off the unique controller the Pokken Tournament arcade machines will use.

It looks like Nintendo is giving us another Super Smash Bros.-style slow-reveal of all the Pokken Touranament fighters, rather than simply reveal them all in one big announcement.

Source: Siliconera

I'd like to see a merge of this with a traditional pokemon game; explore the world, catching Pokemon, but then when you have battles it flips into this beat-em-up. I'd be so happy with that.

Reminds me of pokemon stadium. Actually..... i just realised, this one appears as a real-time fighting game while pokemon stadium was turn based.

Fasckira:
I'd like to see a merge of this with a traditional pokemon game; explore the world, catching Pokemon, but then when you have battles it flips into this beat-em-up. I'd be so happy with that.

I'm hoping this is them experimenting with that idea. If they get the combat system down first, an overworld would be a simple project given enough resources.

Oh, good. This'll make that dude happy who draws that comic about the girl with two dicks. I like that guy.

I'd prefer a classic pokémon game, gta style camera and free roam and the pokèmon can know more than 4 fucking moves!

Just so it's more styled after the anime. Like you want to use fly, throw out a flying pokèmon, get on and control it (like spawning a helicopter, getting in and landing it where ever) or throw out a water pokèmon and it transforms into lapras so you can use swim.

Oh and fuck off this HM bullshit, what water pokèmon can't swim? What flying pokèmon can't fly!?

omega 616:
I'd prefer a classic pokémon game, gta style camera and free roam and the pokèmon can know more than 4 fucking moves!

Just so it's more styled after the anime. Like you want to use fly, throw out a flying pokèmon, get on and control it (like spawning a helicopter, getting in and landing it where ever) or throw out a water pokèmon and it transforms into lapras so you can use swim.

Oh and fuck off this HM bullshit, what water pokèmon can't swim? What flying pokèmon can't fly!?

The game balance would be obliterated if Pokemon knew more than four moves. It would be awful. The rest they are slowly doing, though. ORAS had you fly around on Latios and Latias like that. Gotta just accept the HMs, too. They are still attacking moves, after all.

I know this game is going to be good because the announcers were so excited.

C_sector:
Reminds me of pokemon stadium. Actually..... i just realised, this one appears as a real-time fighting game while pokemon stadium was turn based.

I'm guessing you haven't been keeping up on this one. Pokken Tournament IS a fighting game coming for arcades.

Incidentally, if they were willing to put in the effort, I'd say the best possible way to create future Pokemon games would be to give it two different combat modes you can toggle on command, one tradition turn based, the other fighting game based. Probably the best way they can innovate and increase their fanbase. Plus two concurrent competitive Pokemon scenes would be interesting.

I like the music...
This isn't gonna have a pc version, will it?

So we can also expect an article about the new Tekken 7 character Gigas announcement yeah?

What I'm wondering if types will affect damage output like the base game.
Machamp uses Seismic Toss on Gengar. It as no effect!!
Would make for an interesting metagame

Wasn't... this being developed by ArcSys? I must be getting mixed up...
Either way, it looks really cool. I'm kinda surprised no one really thought of this sooner (or at least attempted it). I certainly second the idea of implementing this idea into a proper full Pokemon action RPG. It'd be a cool experiment if nothing else.

Lazy Kitty:
I like the music...

Probably not soon but it does seem as if Japan is slowly warming to the idea of having fighting games on PC. I'm sure it will come eventually.

Dominic Crossman:

that would essentially kill the game before it started. it would make matchups literally unwinnable, that would be terrible for a fighting game

Now we just need Nidorino, so we can recreate that classic scene from Red and Blue.

Lazy Kitty:
I like the music...

I think we can safely say no. I mean, how many pokemon games get on pc?
If this thing does come to America, my money would be on the WiiU getting another amazing exclusive in it's library

Danny Dowling:

Dominic Crossman:

that would essentially kill the game before it started. it would make matchups literally unwinnable, that would be terrible for a fighting game

Could have multiple movesets per character maybe. Like Machamp having Ice punch, fire punch.
I dunno just an admittedly not thought through idea.

Orga777:

The game balance would be obliterated if Pokemon knew more than four moves. It would be awful. The rest they are slowly doing, though. ORAS had you fly around on Latios and Latias like that. Gotta just accept the HMs, too. They are still attacking moves, after all.

I just find it funny how people think having more than four moves is somehow a good thing. In fact, about 90% of the suggestions for "improving" Pokemon would make a game that would be completely unplayable. Let us count the ways: free-roaming, all regions, put it on a console, make it an MMO, let us carry all Pokemon, get rid of the ones I don't like, etc, etc. It's times like this I'm glad Nintendo and Game Freak do NOT listen to fans on how to improve the series and just do their own thing.

w23eer:

Probably not soon but it does seem as if Japan is slowly warming to the idea of having fighting games on PC. I'm sure it will come eventually.

....It's a Nintendo-owned IP. It will NEVER come to PC.

Aiddon:

Orga777:

[quote="w23eer" post="7.874508.21972189"]

....It's a Nintendo-owned IP. It will NEVER come to PC.

A year ago people would have said the same thing about smartphones. So I wouldn't totally reject the possibility

While I know the trainers are kinda in the game but would they shout the Pokemon attacks when you press the moves?

Either way, Gengar look badass in it!

I had hoped for Dusknoir. But I've come to expect this sort of master race favouritism Nintendo exhibits towards the 1st gen monsters.

I still hold out for Stunfisk though.

verdant monkai:
I had hoped for Dusknoir. But I've come to expect this sort of master race favouritism Nintendo exhibits towards the 1st gen monsters.

Stunfisk would be rather... hard to do effectively in this type of game. The hit box is way too small and the body shape is not ideal for a fighting game.

Also, Gengar is popular all through the generations. He is one of the cooler Pokemon in both design and usability. I don't think it has much to do with Gen 1 favoritism. We will still get quite a few Gen 2-6 Pokemon, I am sure.

People are getting ahead of themselves with all these speculative, world building features.
It's a fighting game in Japanese arcades. It's not going to have an over-world.

Dominic Crossman:

A year ago people would have said the same thing about smartphones. So I wouldn't totally reject the possibility

And I do, especially since Nintendo has already explained that their relationship with DeNA rejects the possibility of ports and thus are wholly original. You're going to have to buy Nintendo awhile longer in order to use their titles fully. Time to make peace with it.

Why doesn't the Escapist ever use the actual title of the game in their articles about it?

EyeReaper:
Now we just need Nidorino, so we can recreate that classic scene from Red and Blue.

I was thinking the exact same thing!

OT: I'm terrible, TERRIBLE at fighting games but I find this cool!

Fasckira:

I've been craving that kind of game since I played Pokemon Blue in my GameBoy Color... make a "traditional" RPG-style open world (in 3D, for a change, think Skyrim kind of big) and go into beat 'em up mode when fighting, real time.

After Hyrule Warriors turned out to be awesome, I can totally understand Nintendo's sudden experimentation with mixing their IPs with others. A Pokemon fighting game actually sounds awesome!

Fasckira:

...And that sounds even MORE awesome. I love Pokemon, but it's clearly started to get stale from not deviating from its turn-based roots.

verdant monkai:

Gengar is a good fit for Pokken, but I absolutely agree that there should be a good mix of Pokemon from every generation. We still haven't gotten a 5th or 6th gen representative confirmed yet. Being a stanch 5th gen lover, I am always worried about it being excluded in some way. Smash Bros. was very one sided in favor of gen 1, especially with Mewtwo's reappearance, I just hope Pokken mixes things up a little.

I'm not a fan of half of the included Pokemon being ones that can mega evolve, it really gives off the impression that most of the roster will just be Pokemon that can mega evolve. Which would suck since they get so much attention already.

Anyway, I'm still banking on either Samurott or Meloetta being playable. Serperior would be a dream come true for me, but Snivy is already a support Pokemon, so I doubt that could happen. :/

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here