Ubisoft Will no Longer Develop For Xbox 360 And PS3

Ubisoft Will no Longer Develop For Xbox 360 And PS3

acs screen 06

Aside from its casual Just Dance rhythm series, no future Ubisoft games will be released for the PS3 and Xbox 360.

At an earnings call with investors yesterday, publisher Ubisoft announced that it was dropping support for "last-gen" consoles - the Xbox 360 and PS3. With the exception of casual dancing simulator Just Dance, no future Ubisoft titles will appear on the dated platforms.

It explained that it wanted to shift its focus to the "current generation" of consoles, namely, the PS4, Xbox One, and PC, although it did not specifically mention the Wii U, leaving its fate up-in-the-air. Ubisoft previously stated that Watch_Dogs would be the last mature game for Wii U, but did confirm that just like the Xbox 360 and PS3, Nintendo's console would still get future iterations of Just Dance.

Last year Ubisoft released two completely separate Assassin's Creed games: Rogue for PS3 and Xbox 360, plus Unity for PS4, Xbox One and PC. This year, it looks like it's just Syndicate, for the PS4, Xbox One and PC.

Far Cry 4, also released last year, was Ubisoft's last full cross-platform release, coming out on PC, PS4, Xbox One, Xbox 360 and PS4.

Source: Eurogamer

Had to start happening eventually but I'm surprised it would start with a big AAA guy like Ubisoft. Generally AAA is the last one to leave since there is so much of the market you leave hanging if you go "next-gen" (I suppose current gen now) only.

Can't say that I'm all that surprised since it was bound to happen anyways.

I mean, we are in the second year (I think) of the PS4 and XBone being out in the wild, so it would make sense to stop developing for them and move on to the generation of consoles.

Yeah, it's gonna suck for those that don't have them yet, but that's just the ways things are, sadly.

And lo, the quality of games released for last gen consoles rose greatly from that day forward and all rejoiced!

Meh ubi hasn't been in my house for years it seems.

Doesn't Ubisoft have a Wii U game ready to print onto disc right now? Haven't they had that game ready to go since 2013? Anyway, I'm surprised to see the 360 and PS3 have been getting this much support for as long as they've been getting it. I may have to consider upgrading to a PS4 soon but I don't see that being likely in the foreseeable future.

What? Screw you, Ubisoft. You should support the systems I own!/sarcasm Wait a second. I have no interest in Ubi titles, and the two current heavy hitter consoles have been out for almost two years. Eh, carry on.

Just stop treating your PC customers like toilets. That's my real beef with Ubi.

I doubt anybody's going to be bereaved by the announcement. Glad I get to play Rogue on the PS3 though.

At lease if Ubi is not developing for the WiiU anymore, I won't have anymore buggy games that are exactly the same, that I want to buy. Seriously, Watch_Doges is a worse AC3, and all of their games are as buggy as a Bethesda game, you'd thing with a budget the size of Jupiter, they'd be able to afford to debug shit.

And so did the gaming community rise up and in concerted voice... meh

Although this implies that there aren't any Rayman games in the works, since those easily run on older systems. Which brings the sum total of exciting Ubi projects tooooo... ... hmmm... anyone still interested in Ubisoft Presents: Totally Not Destiny Modern Warfare?

Thank you Ubisoft. Someone needed to start it. Old gen must die

MCerberus:
And so did the gaming community rise up and in concerted voice... meh

Although this implies that there aren't any Rayman games in the works, since those easily run on older systems. Which brings the sum total of exciting Ubi projects tooooo... ... hmmm... anyone still interested in Ubisoft Presents: Totally Not Destiny Modern Warfare?

Rayman Legends at least was actually supposed to just be a Wii U game, so they've already shown that they were willing to abandon the Xbox 360 and PS3 (that is until the Wii U sold like shit). I imagine the next Rayman game will be current gen exclusive (sans Wii U).

OT: After Rayman Legends and the disaster that was Watch_Dogs on last gen, I'm unsurprised. Good on you, Ubisoft. You're just as incompetent as ever, but at least that has led to a brave move.

Can we ask them to please stop developing for the PC too? :P

First Activision with Call of Duty, and now Ubisoft. EA will probably switch over soon enough with their biggest games, but stuff like Fifa will still probably be around for another good few years seeing as they were still making games for the PS2 up until Fifa 14.

Laggyteabag:
First Activision with Call of Duty, and now Ubisoft.

Wait....what?

Black Ops 3 is still coming to the 360/PS3 from my quick Googling. Am I misunderstanding you here or am I incorrect?

Evil Smurf:
and all of their games are as buggy as a Bethesda game, you'd thing with a budget the size of Jupiter, they'd be able to afford to debug shit.

I still laugh at the fact that they bragged about Unity being made by 10 different studios as though it was a selling point...and not a clear indication that the game was going to be an absolute clusterfuck of horrible bugs and disappointment.

Shouldn't games be made with some level of scalability so that you can just disable certain thingermajiggers to make it sufficiently run on old hardware?
Last thing I remember from dabbling into programming was that hardcoding is, like, bad.

About time they ditched that ancient generation.

The hardware power of the consoles are already showing their age from a performance level, but developing for last gen is both costly and compromises both features and graphical fidelity because of having to develop for the lowest denominator (in this case last gen).

It's time to move on..seriously.

tippy2k2:

Laggyteabag:
First Activision with Call of Duty, and now Ubisoft.

Wait....what?

Black Ops 3 is still coming to the 360/PS3 from my quick Googling. Am I misunderstanding you here or am I incorrect?

When Treyarch said that they weren't making a 360/PS3 version, I think I must've just assumed that there wasn't going to be a 360/PS3 version. Period. In actuality, though, it seems that whilst Treyarch aren't making the 360/PS3 version, it might still be ported by another studio. I suppose that it depends on the game itself, but Activision have yet to confirm either way.

So, maybe? I guess we will wait and see.

And not a moment too soon. Those consoles have been holding back this generation for too long now.

loa:
Shouldn't games be made with some level of scalability so that you can just disable certain thingermajiggers to make it sufficiently run on old hardware?
Last thing I remember from dabbling into programming was that hardcoding is, like, bad.

Unfortunately that's easier said than done on consoles. The difference in hardware from previous generation to this one makes it hard to just re-utilize code. They may as well be programming in two different languages.

Oh no. How will my life go on? Guess I'll console myself with the games I've stockpiled over the years.

HA! Suck it Ubisoft your threat to stop providing me with broken games isn't going to get me to buy the so-called current gen consoles that have nothing but remastered games I already own.

loa:

First of all, you have to realize that the power difference between the consoles arent just something you can scale. Its closer to 10-15 times the difference.

secondly, often disabling features is going to leave you with entirely different game. especially when the developers have already disabled many just to make them run on consles (Enemy AI was the first thing to go when race for graphics began for example). Take Crysis for example. They had a PC release and then they ported it to consoles. in order to make it work on consoles they had to remove enemy AI, stealth mechanics and simplify suit functions just to make it run. the result - one of the most innovative games at the time turned into mediocre shooter.

CaitSeith:
And not a moment too soon. Those consoles have been holding back this generation for too long now.

Is that what has been holding back this... Current gen? Next gen? Meh gen? no, final gen yeah that's it. That why the Xbone could barely manage 24 FPS, and sometimes dropping into the high teens in Dead Rising 3? A game not even released on 360? Someone is setting themselves up for disappointment, hint, it's you.

Strazdas:

(Enemy AI was the first thing to go when race for graphics began for example). Take Crysis for example. They had a PC release and then they ported it to consoles. in order to make it work on consoles they had to remove enemy AI, stealth mechanics and simplify suit functions just to make it run. the result - one of the most innovative games at the time turned into mediocre shooter.

Don't think it was the AI that was the first to go, was anti-aliasing and 720p requirements, and that was just a few short years after release of the 360.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/2009/09/03/microsoft-lifts-720p-xbox-360-requirement/1

Strelok:

Strazdas:

(Enemy AI was the first thing to go when race for graphics began for example). Take Crysis for example. They had a PC release and then they ported it to consoles. in order to make it work on consoles they had to remove enemy AI, stealth mechanics and simplify suit functions just to make it run. the result - one of the most innovative games at the time turned into mediocre shooter.

Don't think it was the AI that was the first to go, was anti-aliasing and 720p requirements, and that was just a few short years after release of the 360.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/2009/09/03/microsoft-lifts-720p-xbox-360-requirement/1

The Marked One,

There was never any AA for 360 anyway. the only AA that is officially supported (means the developers can implement it as an xbox library) is FXAA, which is not actually AA but just a blur effect.

Wow. The new gen made such an impacting splash in the gaming world that when I read the title of the article my first thought was "So they're going PC-only?" Then I read the article and was like, "Oh right... there's new consoles." Then I wondered why this article was necessary. Isn't it kinda common knowledge that developers are going to stop developing for old consoles?

Considering I never buy Ubisoft games, this doesn't really matter in the slightest.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here