Terraria's Massive, Free 1.3 Patch Launches Next Month

Terraria's Massive, Free 1.3 Patch Launches Next Month

Re-Logic shows the right way to support your game post-launch with another massive Terraria patch.

Terraria is the little indie gem that just keeps on giving. Almost four years after it's initial PC launch, developer Re-Logic has announced that another free, massive content update will launch next month. Terraria patch 1.3 is coming on June 30, and contains a boatload of new items, biomes, features, and characters. Lead developer Redigit says this will be the last patch of this scale for the game, but to be fair, it wouldn't be the first time he's said that.

Re-Logic teased the announcement with the video you can see above, showing off a few of the features in the new patch, such as the new underworld backgrounds.

A short list of some of the coolest things to expect in patch 1.3 include:

• A new "expert" difficulty level.
  • Mac & Linux support.
  • A new "Lunar" event and a new "Martian Madness" event, complete with unique enemies and items.
  • Over 250 new items, including weapons, mounts, furniture, and pets.
  • Dozens of bug and quality-of-life fixes.

This is just a small taste of what's to come, so if you'd like to know more, you can check out the full patch notes of known updates for 1.3.

It's amazing to know that a four-year-old game is still getting such huge updates as this, completely free-of-charge. Better yet, the game currently only retails for a paltry $10.

Source: Re-Logic

I see what they did there... They jumped the shark.

My girl and I have been looking forward to this for a while, nice to get a solid date. Best $3.97 we ever spent. Even at $10 its still a good buy.

ghalleon0915:
My girl and I have been looking forward to this for a while, nice to get a solid date. Best $3.97 we ever spent. Even at $10 its still a good buy.

Hell, even something like $50 would have still been a good deal considering just how much mileage me and my mates got from this game.

Terraria is freakin awesome: what's not to love about a sandbox Metroidvania?

Sounds like a very good reason to start playing Terraria again. ill see if my character is still around on my hard drive.

Awesomesauce. I look forward to making another character and another world to go through from scratch, like with the 1.1 and 1.2 updates!

Time to start speculating on what new things I can build my house out of...hard to top cactus and bubblegum blocks, though.

The only think I care about is, will they let you get the gun-seller's coat? Been waiting for several patches for them to give us that vanity item, been pissing me right off.

Though if so, will be nice to go back and play it again.

Terraria is always so weird to hear about with their newest patches. Weren't they stopping development of the original Terraria? Isn't Terraria 2 in the works or something? It feels a little like 'Oh hey, we stopped working on this, but also we had some ideas sooooo free patches for everyone!'

Regardless I'm still pretty keen on this. The Lunar Events are pretty fun and give me something to do with my ridiculously broken gear.

Does the update contain the option to have your female character finally wear pants and shoes again instead of a pencil-skirt and pumps?
No?
Then I am still not interested in the game anymore.

Another one?
Wow. Especially after all this time...
I feel kind of spoilt. XD

Even if I haven't actually played terraria in ages, it's impressive to see them add even more content...

Wait... Was that a minecart system and a teleporter?
Wow. I uh... I've so wanted some kind of railway like thing in terraria... XD

Been waiting for this update for months.

Re-Logic is one of the few indi...actually, one of the few devs in general, that I have the utmost respect and admiration for. What they've done with Terraria and for the community and fans is nothing short of fantastic. They even still do holiday/seasonal events with the game.

So good on Red and his team. I can't wait to get my hands on the new content and am anxiously anticipating the sequel and spin-off.

Steven Bogos:
Lead developer Redigit says this will be the last patch of this scale for the game...

That would be because he and his primary team(s) are going to be concentrating all of their efforts on Terraria 2 and Terraria: Other World.

So, in this case, he's probably not going to flake on this statement.

CrystalShadow:

My, it really has been ages since you've played. XD

The teleporter and rail-carts have been in for quite a while now - along with a host of other great new items, NPCs, events, biomes, mounts, pets, weapons, etc, etc.

You should definitely check them out.

Vigormortis:

CrystalShadow:

My, it really has been ages since you've played. XD

The teleporter and rail-carts have been in for quite a while now - along with a host of other great new items, NPCs, events, biomes, mounts, pets, weapons, etc, etc.

You should definitely check them out.

Huh. Yeah, I don't think I've really spent much time with it past the 1.1 patch...
And there was nothing like that back then.
Had a lot of fun with that ice rod and a pair of wings though.
Fly, create a block in mid-air, wait, fly again... You can basically keep going indefinitely that way. XD

CrystalShadow:

Huh. Yeah, I don't think I've really spent much time with it past the 1.1 patch...
And there was nothing like that back then.
Had a lot of fun with that ice rod and a pair of wings though.
Fly, create a block in mid-air, wait, fly again... You can basically keep going indefinitely that way. XD

That's always fun. As was the Anti-Grav Hoverboard - Ninja Gear bug that let you literally fly indefinitely. (shame they patched it out)

But if you've not played it much since 1.1, then....ooph, there's SOOO much you've missed. 1.2 was massive.

So, I guess for you, the 1.3 patch will hold even more surprises. :P

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Oh, and to anyone interested, they teased the new music in the 1.3 patch back in February.

On closer inspection of the video....is that a Portal Gun in his inventory?!

I'm so happy I bought this game at release for full price. The amount of content this game receives is beyond expectations of even the wildest modders of other games.

Also holy crap new music and backgrounds. Yeeeeah.

Kewl :3

Was playing it quite literally just minutes ago, working out an obsidian plant and whatnot. Got it free last month on xbox and I plan to get it for both mobile and PC soon enough.

Vigormortis:

Knowing Redigit, very likely. I mean, my playermodel in that game is wearing Zelda's dress XD

Bindal:
Does the update contain the option to have your female character finally wear pants and shoes again instead of a pencil-skirt and pumps?
No?

That sounds like a very petty reason to dislike a game.

Heck that means you must be dodging a wholeeeeeee lot of games for similar reasons.

OT:

Terraria, the gift that keeps on giving, if I actually could still be bothered to play it.

God dammit, right when I thought that I gave up my Terraria addiction

EbonBehelit:

ghalleon0915:

Hell, even something like $50 would have still been a good deal considering just how much mileage me and my mates got from this game.

Terraria is freakin awesome: what's not to love about a sandbox Metroidvania?

Yeah. 350 hours for me. @50$ thats still WAY cheaper than most other games I've played. I've taken to buy copies to friends.

I almost kinda hoped they were done updating as I've sunk more than enough time into this...but...with the new patch...comes a new character...man :P

I've been hyped for this patch ever since it was first announced.
The previous patch was huge, and I've played it with my friends for god knows how long. Now this one won't change a damn thing about that. Still gonna play it day in, day out when it comes out. Aside from maybe Minecraft alpha and early beta, this is the best money spent for me.

Terraria is probably the only game that I didn't uninstall since the first time I've installed it on my computer. And it seems it's gonna stay there for a very long time. It's really unfortunate that Starbound ended up as it did. I was really hoping that it would be Terraria in Space. But thankfully 1.3 is coming out, then the other short Terraria prequel game and we already know that Terraria 2 is in the making.

Politrukk:

Bindal:
No?

That sounds like a very petty reason to dislike a game.

Heck that means you must be dodging a wholeeeeeee lot of games for similar reasons.

And? If I don't like playing a specific character because I find it impossible to like the character in any way, then I can't enjoy the game itself.
I don't like the male character grunt, I don't like the armor designs (all of them) and I also can't stand the ugly (and a bit sexist) design of the default female character. What option am I left with to play as, then? None, exactly. Ergo, I won't play the game anymore.

Bindal:

I don't like the male character grunt, I don't like the armor designs (all of them) and I also can't stand the ugly (and a bit sexist) design of the default female character. What option am I left with to play as, then? None, exactly. Ergo, I won't play the game anymore.

But you could wear ANYTHING in your vanity slot to look however you want so... ?

If it weren't for the hair options and grunt, you wouldn't even know what sex your character was. The outfit differences make sense. People will get upset over literally anything.

I thought after Pixel Piracy, the devs were done with Terraria. You don't ever see big developers go back to an old game like this. This is extremely cool.

I bought into the hype of this game before it even came out. Thought it was going to be the best game I was going to play for a while, and I was right. And now it's getting even better. Good to know I have decent instincts. I thought Warhammer Online was going to be the best thing evar too, and we all know how that turned out. Electronic Arts happened....

Indie devs can do it much better.

(SPAZ 2; It's gonna be big)

SmugFrog:
But you could wear ANYTHING in your vanity slot to look however you want so... ?

I already said that:

Bindal:
I don't like the armor designs (all of them)

That should answer your question.

Does that mean we're finally getting Apaches in Terraria?

an annoyed writer:
Kewl :3

Was playing it quite literally just minutes ago, working out an obsidian plant and whatnot. Got it free last month on xbox and I plan to get it for both mobile and PC soon enough.

I highly recommend nabbing the PC version. The breadth of extra content it has compared to the other builds is staggering.

I imagine Re-Logic will put the game on sale near the update's release.

Vigormortis:

Knowing Redigit, very likely. I mean, my playermodel in that game is wearing Zelda's dress XD

Good point. My character was adorned with the Xenomorph costume for a while. That is, until I found the robot costume.

Still, I'm curious if it's an actual functioning Portal Gun, or if it's some kind of vanity item.

Or, maybe it's one of the new summoning items. Perhaps it summons mini-robot-turrets or a cube-shaped pet.

this gets me swole! I mean heck I thought I was done, I beat all the bosses, got all the weapons, build not one, but FIVE golden dongs across my world, even built a golden plated, gemspark bedazzled, adamantite reinforced Hell-evator. "what more can be done?" I asked. "SO MUCH MOAR!!" replied the Re-Logic gods!

Looking forward to playing this update with my pals.. and not planting TNT underneath their houses.

EMWISE94:
"what more can be done?" I asked. "SO MUCH MOAR!!" replied the Re-Logic gods!

And yet Minecraft can't even add furniture. And oh please don't say "you can use stairs" or "that's what mods are for." That's a pathetic excuse.

Bindal:

And? If I don't like playing a specific character because I find it impossible to like the character in any way, then I can't enjoy the game itself.

Okay, I had to actually go boot up Terraria since I've never made a female PC, and hooooly shitballs. Why is female sprite so goddamn top-heavy with dem tiny-legs?

The good thing is that's fairly easily fixed/covered up. There's a myriad of vanity sets that sport pants that are essentially recolors of the default male pants, and they're all dyeable to boot (to a certain extent). Maybe that'll work?

Pink gel? I wonder if this means that I can start adding some variety to my slime-block castles. :3 In the past, I was forced to compensate using rainbow and flesh blocks.

Cannot wait to try this new update. <3

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.