Big Trouble in Little China Remake In The Works - Starring "The Rock"

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Big Trouble in Little China Remake In The Works - Starring "The Rock"

big trouble little china post

Kurt Russel and John Carpenter's masterpiece Big Trouble in Little China is reportedly getting a remake.

Big Trouble in Little China has the reputation of being the movie that made legendary filmmaker John Carpenter (Halloween, Escape From New York) so disillusioned with the industry, he stopped making Hollywood movies. Despite its massive commercial failure, the film went on to become a cult classic, and now, Hollywood is finally looking to cash in on that with a remake staring everyone's favorite pro-wrestler-cum-actor Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson.

The Hollywood Reporter and Variety are both reporting that Johnson is in late-stage negotiations to star in the movie, most likely filling Kurt Russell's old shoes as trucker-cum-sorcerer-slayer Jack Burton.

The film, which is being produced by 20th Century Fox, has Ashley Miller and Zack Stentz at its helm - the good folks behind the sci-fi hits Thor and X-Men: First Class.

For a quick refresher, Big Trouble in Little China follows Russel's Burton as he stumbles into a generations-old battle between the forces of good and the 2,000-year old evil sorcerer: Lo Pan. With a strong comedic focus, Big Trouble in Little China broke a lot of 80's action movie stereotypes by having a main "hero" who wasn't completely infallible and invincible. Jack Burton was just a regular guy in the wrong place at the wrong time.

What do you guys think of this? While I am a big fan of The Rock and his work, Big Trouble in Little China is just one of those movies that you don't mess with.

Source: Variety

there is probably a word limit for this text box too small to contain the number of "no's" sufficient to convey how much this sounds like a bad idea.

how about this hollywood -- you save yourself the money and production time required for this terrible idea,

...and dont.

I like Dwayne Johnson... but you don't touch this movie. It's not even good because of nostalgia... it's just good. It's an interesting fun to watch movie that has much better acting than a lot of action oriented movies of the era had.

Captcha: question everything... this is making me do that.

There are not enough words in the English language to properly convey how much I dislike the remake and my feelings in general.

I would probably summon Cthulhu by accident if I tried.

This is one movie you don't touch. This is one of the movies that typified the 80s, and you just leave it the hell alone. It's still an awesome movie and I really don't understand why someone has to touch it again.

Regardless of how unnecessary this is ... how is this movie even supposed to be made in the current environment?

Big trouble in Little China is like Starship Troopers ... it doesn't matter how over the top you do the racism and militarism, you'll still get called a racist or a fascist and I don't see current Hollywood just taking that in stride. They'll probably devote half the movie to explaining how wrong it all is.

Seriously, no. Not this one. I've even scared they'll change Lo Pan, because his design might be "offensive."

They'll just find anything from the 80s to try and make a quick buck on. There's always been a trend for TV and Hollywood to go back 30 years and pull ideas from the past, because that's when the writers and some of the target demographic were kids. Although, it seems like they've kicked it into high gear in the past few years. I can't wait for 5-8 years to pass and movies with titles like "Goosebumps" or something else from the 90s to pop up.

Fiz_The_Toaster:
...and I really don't understand why someone has to touch it again.

Because Hollywood has completely run out of originality at this point and is desperately grasping for anything they haven't made a reboot from a reboot of yet.

I am totally game for a remake: the originally didn't hold up well when it was made, let alone now. The Rock is a good casting choice, too. Although it would be kind of funny to see an old Kurt Russell playing the part again.

The movie that really smashed the infallible action man stereotype was Die Hard. Kind of funny considering that's basically what he is now.

That sounds like a horrendous idea. Nothing in that movie would translate well to modern film.

I always wanted a sequel, but please not this... ever.

At least it's not Vin Diesel?

In the immortal words of Egg Shen "You leave Jack Burton alone!"

I know John Carpenter meant to make a sequel to the movie but please not a remake

I personally would not like to see a remake, for tons of reasons, but the first one to pop into my head is that I can't really picture 'The Rock' pulling off the 'regular-joe-come-hero' bit. He looks too much like a guy who kicks people's asses.

Fiz_The_Toaster:
There are not enough words in the English language to properly convey how much I dislike the remake and my feelings in general.

At least then the film wouldn't get made.

OT: No Hollywood, bad! Bad dog! You do that outside! *rolls up newspaper*

Seriously, why not remake Citizen Kane? How about a reboot of Titanic? Its only been like five years since the last Hulk reboot, thats like three generations in Hollywood executive years. I bet that they could make a great teen drama out of Anne Frank and a dark and gritty superhero film out of Schindler's List.

I like the idea of seeing guys trying to karate kick the rock only for them to bounce up like he was made of actual rock.

Really, really, bad idea, there is no reason to remake this movie at all, it's awesome just the way it is, there is nothing they could do but create an inferior version of it.

John Carpenter has done some great stuff over the years, and there are a few movies I think could benefit from being remade. Top among them is probably "Prince Of Darkness" simply because I think the original version failed because it went over too many people's heads at the time, and I think movie goers have become a lot more familiar with those kinds of concepts. What's more I think it could actually benefit from some better special FX. Another movie he did that I think could stand a remake is "Ghosts Of Mars" that's another one that flopped but it had some awesome concepts in it, not even a just-then-starting Jason Statham could save that one, I could see an update being a good thing there as now we can do things that just weren't possible at the time, and what's more the population has geeked out enough for a concept like that to get a better reception. "Big Trouble In Little China" ... that's just perfect though, it did what it set out to do perfectly, and what's more while I can see modern Hollywood re-doing some of the horror movies above, I do not think the current liberal Hollywood could touch this one without ruining everything that makes it great. Nowadays people in Hollywood would probably insist it's racist or something, when really the Chinese action cinema makes comedy-action movies in a similar style themselves, Jackie Chan having made a career out of doing goofy movies both here and overseas for example, ironically we'd probably take the subject matter more seriously than the Chinese would, and let's face it, this is not a movie that is supposed to be taken seriously on any level, it's an ongoing mockery of action movie tropes making fun of the old school "Western Tough Guy" at the same time it's engaging in a weird combination of mocking and worship of old school Kung-Fu movies. :)

I wouldn't even want to see the current version of Lo Pan, Hollywood is so PC that it couldn't even give us a proper Mandarin in Iron Man.... and no offense, I was deeply disappointed by that. I mean we replaced a badrse super scientist with 10 "magic" rings that has come close to conquering the world through sheer might with a washed up actor fronting for a bad guy based on a deeply butchered version of Extremis.... If they can't do "The Mandarin" they aren't going to be able to capture what makes Lo Pan amusing... or understand it's as much worship of the quintessential martial arts movie mystic bad guy as it is a mockery as the movie mocks everything in it. :)

The whole point of Jack Burton is that he's just some random schmuck way over his head and for the most part, completely ineffectual as an action protagonist. He gets by more on his luck and the help from those around him rather than his own competency. Casting the Rock just seems like a bad idea.

MarsAtlas:

Fiz_The_Toaster:

At least then the film wouldn't get made.

God I hope so.

At the very least make the people in charge forget about what they're going to do. Drive them insane so that every time they think about doing this remake they scream in terror and crawl in a dark room.

Why no, I'm not being unreasonable. >.>

I'm not going for it. We don't mess with Kurt Russell, dammit.

Isn't this a so bad it's good kind of movie? Is it even possible to create this kind of movie intentional?

Considering that the main villain was a depiction of a olden Chinese wizard of some sort, no a remake is not a good idea!!

I agree with the general consensus that it shouldn't be remade. There's so much that could go wrong. However, I would be interested in them doing a special edition, such as with the Star Wars episodes 4-6, where they improved the FX but kept the movie in its original format. Some of the rubberised props/creatures really look dated now and I think would benefit from a CGI facelift. Personally I felt that the special edition Star Wars movies significantly improved the originals, but then that's my opinion and I know others feel the vanilla versions were better.

Fiz_The_Toaster:

This is one movie you don't touch. This is one of the movies that typified the 80s, and you just leave it the hell alone. It's still an awesome movie and I really don't understand why someone has to touch it again.

Well said.

Unfortunately, it does seem that mindless, pointless and unnecessary remakes are the kind of movies that typify the 2010s. What I figure is, any day one of these turkeys opens in theaters is the perfect occasion to buy some snacks, invite some friends - and watch the original movie at home!

Think I'll just go ahead and leave this here...

OT: Honestly, I don't see how you can even try to make a remake of this movie...without it being absolute shit. The original was so obscenely, hilariously, and quintessentially 80's that it will be quite literally impossible to re-capture the magic (no pun intended) and charm of this movie. All the neon lights...the acting...the dialogue...and, of course, dat mullet!

Hollywood is in the same no risk-taking slump that the games industry is in. Why bother trying to come up with something new when you can go with something safe? I'm sure this movie will skate on by thanks to nostalgia, but with each remake/rehash/reimagining that comes out, a little piece of me dies inside.

...and people wonder why I say I hate movies these days...

The movie was so meta that the actors, rather than expressing their motivations at the start of the film, they actively and comprehensively listed them out so that shit was out of the way for all the wackiness to begin. Recreating this on purpose and expecting people to pay to see it would simply not work with a modern audience that grew up on Malcolm in the Middle and Community. Plus Dwayne Johnson would have to lose 100lbs of muscle and grow a mullet for this to even come close to working. Average joes can't nipplepop.

Hollywood! Go to your room and think about what you've done!

I hope he is not cast as Jack Burton, he would be better as the big guy of the three storms. BVut that is doubtful.

Yet another stupid unnecessary remake. I hope The Rock changes his mind about this toxic filth before its too late...

... ya know, a month ago My knee-jerk reaction would've been a big "hell no". Then, Mad Max came out.

So, I'ma see how this develops. As long as they remember that Jack Burton was the sidekick that the camera just happened to follow around, it could be fun.

The producer needs to be tapped upside the back of his favorite head for this decision.

Dammit, first Assault on Precinct 13, then The Fog, then Halloween, then The Thing and now this?!

What do people have against John Carpenter?

Calling it now, it the next ten years, one or all of the following will be remade: Escape From New York, They Live, Christine. And 'They Live' will be forcefully modernized to include tablets, smartphones and internet.

No. Just no. There is no need for this. Stop making pointless re-makes. The original film is just fine. And as much as I'm happy to see The Rock playing action hero again, he's way to big and buff looking to do the 'Everyman Hero' role like Kurt Russel did. If you really want to bank off the Big Trouble name, then do a '25 years later' sequel. That I would pay to see. Not trying to make a beat-for-beat remake of a movie that's already in my DVD library, or an 'improvement' of the original that didn't need improved.

While you're at it though, can we finally get Buckaroo Banzai vs the World Crime League?

The Rogue Wolf:

Fiz_The_Toaster:
...and I really don't understand why someone has to touch it again.

Because Hollywood has completely run out of originality at this point and is desperately grasping for anything they haven't made a reboot from a reboot of yet.

It's not that they lack originality, it's that they fear it.

Seriously, Hollywood execs exist to make movies make money by appealing to as wide a demographic as possible. That incredibly limits what movies can be produced. No R rated or niche movies. It also means reboots and movies based on popular icons are better because they come with a fanbase to exploit.

That this leads to terrible movies that are mockeries of the originals and completely miss the elements that made the originals great and unique means nothing to them.

jhoroz:
The whole point of Jack Burton is that he's just some random schmuck way over his head and for the most part, completely ineffectual as an action protagonist. He gets by more on his luck and the help from those around him rather than his own competency. Casting the Rock just seems like a bad idea.

Yeah, exactly. I can't imagine a scene with the Rock shooting his gun in the air, getting hit by falling debris from the ceiling, and being knocked out for the final battle.

What a crap idea. I bet they will take all the cheesy stuff out of it and make it more realistic. Thing is if they think the Rock is so awesome then why not give him an original movie to star in. Not remaking movies that will just fail miserably like the Poltergeist remake did.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.