Director Uwe Boll Swears Off Kickstarter In YouTube Rant

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Director Uwe Boll Swears Off Kickstarter In YouTube Rant

"For me, crowdfunding is absolutely dead."

Uwe Boll, known to videogame fans as the director of numerous game-to-film adaptations, including Postal, Alone in the Dark, and House of the Dead, has released a profanity-laden rant aimed at crowdfunding. The video comes as a Kickstarter campaign attempting to fund production of his latest project, Rampage 3, limps toward its conclusion with less than half of its goal and fewer than four days remaining.

"Basically, my message is, fuck you," says Boll, "because it is so fucking absurd what retarded, amateur idiots [are] collecting money on that absurd website." Boll goes on to complain about the crowdfunding system's failure to deliver on his expectations.

"We get approached by people like Kickstarter, 'Do it! Do it!,' and you have hundreds of thousands of people contacting you to make a fast dime, to say, 'we can push your campaign and I get ten percent of whatever you collect,' and it's all fucking bullshit and I will never do it in my life again."

The Rampage films tell the story of a spree killer, played by Brendan Fletcher, who is motivated to kill out of revenge and a desire to reduce overpopulation. The first film earned critical praise (unusual for Boll's films) on its release in 2009 and a sequel, Rampage: Capital Punishment arrived in 2014.

The Rampage 3 Kickstarter is Boll's second attempt at crowdfunding production of the film. An IndieGoGo drive in January managed to raise only 6% of its $100,000 (CAD) goal. The Kickstarter campaign, which saw the funding target decreased by roughly 30% from that earlier effort, currently sits at just under $26,000 of the $55,794 (USD) it needs to be funded.

With the campaign appearing doomed, Boll claims to have decided to give up on the project. Despite his opinion that it is, "an important film," Boll acknowledges, "nobody seems to care about Rampage 3, so, I guess I shouldn't do it, then."

But don't worry about poor Uwe. He's going to be just fine, as he notes that he has, "enough money to play golf until [he's] dead."

Source: YouTube

And nothing of value was lost.

What a nice surprise! Now if you'll be so kind Uwe to swear off making movies period, that'd be wonderful.

I never understood how that garbage Rampage ever got critical acclaim. In the words of Zoidberg; your films are bad and you should feel bad!

Well he does say goodbye Hollywood at the end... so here is to hoping that is true

*Spurts out tea*
Critically acclaimed? ...rampage? I seriously missed that punchline. Heart of America was sort of good. That is about all I remember being able to tolerate of his work. What a waste of tea.

Dude is older then 40 and actting like a spoiled brat throwing a temper tantrum. Does miss boll need a nappy poo?

So there IS a God. And he's a gamer.

Xsjadoblayde:
*Spurts out tea*
Critically acclaimed? ...rampage? I seriously missed that punchline. Heart of America was sort of good. That is about all I remember being able to tolerate of his work. What a waste of tea.

well, Rampage is widely considered to be his best, and to be a legitimately good film
so I'd say it counts for "critically acclaimed", even if that term sounds way more grand than it actually is

And the gaming community let out a resounding YAY!

Now if only he just stopped making movies period...

"because it is so fucking absurd what retarded, amateur idiots [are] collecting money on that absurd website."

That, I think is the most telling quote of them all. He sees things like Kung Fury, and a bunch of other low-budget flicks, games, whatever get funded and he thinks "I'm a big time professional filmmaker who's worked with Jason Statham and shit. I should get funded like nothing." And then he doesn't, and it eats at him. People making fun of his films is one thing, he doesn't give a shit about that. For people to make fun of his movies, they already had to pay money of some sort to see them in the first place, so he's already got his. But this, this eats away at whatever professional pride he has in himself. It hits him right in the soul.

It's kind of amazing to see :P

House of the Dead remains the most terrible movie I've ever seen, glad he's gone.

He wanted me to pay him to make more garbage. Sure. Let me get out my invisible credit card.

Captcha: Miloko Plus Vellocet. Sounds like a Vita game.

awwwww, poor Uwe Boll, Germany no longer allows you to write off all your movies for practically nothing of cost to you. And now your kickstarter has all but failed because when you give people the option to fund your movies, they decline. If it still somehow makes it I'll be surprised.

I love the fact too his video is simply titled "Fuck you all" yes, really inspires us to like you. You know what I wish I could do? Get Mike Tyson to take up movie reviewing. Wonder how long you'll last in the ring.

McMarbles:
Captcha: Miloko Plus Vellocet. Sounds like a Vita game.

In which you get sharpened up and ready for a bit of the ol' ultraviolence?

Silentpony:

No, there are German accountants.

There used to be a legal loophole in Germany that allowed donation to the 'arts' to be set against tax disproportionately (as in a small donation equated to a big tax break) . That loophole got closed a few years ago and the investments for Uwe's movies dried up with it. Nobody ever actually wanted Uwe to make movies, it was just financially expedient to give him money.

Never mess with accountants, especially not German ones.

"I have enough money to play golf until I'm dead"

On one hand, life is a wonderful, precious thing to be cherished and while I wouldn't argue for, say, a microbe's right to live, sentience means a man, no matter how wicked, has the capacity to feel both joy and suffering much like I do. I hope, that mr Boll does live a long and fulfilling life.

On the other hand, although I feel kind of bad for even coming up with the idea, if he likes REALLY expensive golf, at least I can be completely sure he never directs again...

Edit: Also, Uwe's grumpycat face on the article's thumbnail? Hilarious.

rcs619:
[quote]"because it is so fucking absurd what retarded, amateur idiots [are] collecting money on that absurd website."

Yeah FUCK Bill Nye and FUCK science! What an Immature ass-hat Bil Nye is for realizing Carl Sagan's dream AND circumventing both Governments and Capitalist Corporate Hijacking to get a Solar Sail Satelite in orbit!

Retarded Wizard In The Forest needs to be a film, though - that sounds awesome. Crowdfund away!

Uh-oh, sounds like someone has a severe case of butt-hurt! Somebody better call the Wahmbulance!

Whats wrong? spend all the nazi gold? Im sorry people crowd fund people that had a good history with the product, not the guy that makes mediocre movies to take advantage of a loophole in German tax law.

That said, i did like the first Rampage was alright, in a "now that's what i call edgy" kind of way.

fix-the-spade:
as in a small donation equated to a big tax break

It wasn't all arts. Germany gave filmmakers a 100% return until the movie made profit. It was instituted to give the home industry a fighting chance when hollywood started to become a global force.

Whaa whaa no-one actually wants to see my movies, whaa whaa.

The guy just has no idea, does he? Does he genuinely think his shoddy movies, made solely so he could make a quick buck, are some kind of auteur masterpieces that we're all fools, blind fools, not fund for him? Dude needs a reality check, since he clearly hasn't gotten any real cheques in a long while

It's moments like these that can restore faith in humanity.

Mr. Boll clearly got the kind of sunburn that never really goes away.

Little known fact; he only pumped out that much trash because he was abusing German tax law, making shit tons on each flop!

Maybe now he will get a clue that to really bring out any reputation he has established for himself, he will need charisma. One can be the most talented director in the world - piss off enough people, or make people so indifferent to your project(s), and all of that will reflect back at him at release-time.

Hell; there are people on Kickstarter that meet their goals for inane projects like making their first bowl of potato salad. Want to know why? Because these people have charisma, and know how to sell themselves.

In the case of Uwe Boll, he failed to sell himself properly, and still has not figured out as to what he is doing wrong.

Ah, there's something about seeing twats have their bullshit dreams fall down around them that's so...satisfying.

Whenever I see Uwe Boll mentioned, I can't help but think of this comic: http://collectedcurios.com/sequentialart.php?s=637

OT: What a turd

Get the popcorn out tent! Awwww~ yeah!

On the side of Uwe, there is one kind of screwed up thing that stands out. The people coming out and saying, "I will fund you for %10." That's not really what kickstarter's about, and I can understand venting one's frustrations about that.

On the other hand though, Kickstarter requires you have a good idea. and it strongly helps to have a name people also can trust. Uwe has neither. So, C'mon here, are we surprised this tanked?

Edit: HAA! The captcha let me describe Coors as "rat pee" I am soooo~ Pleased!

fix-the-spade:

Silentpony:

No, there are German accountants.

If this website had signatures, I would steal that and make it mine. Pure gold.

In any case, this is sad, not because Uwe Boll is going to stop making movies (that makes me happy) but because it shakes my humanity a little bit every time an adult who has enjoyed some success acts like a 2 year old who threw his candy in the grass and realizes that he isn't going to get a new one.

This was a long time coming. Hopefully to add insult to injury he is forced to payback all the money he made because of the loophole he used for so many years. Force him to live as broken and penniless.

Subsidy abuse, huh? So... "Bialystock and Boll"? (might actually pay to see that movie :9)

This is glorious! It's amazing that someone can be so deluded. He honestly thinks that he's a genius filmmaker.

I swear, Uwe Boll and David Cage need to be villains in a Super Best Friends Play RPG, with the Zaibatsu trying to stop the ultimate team-up in shitty, video game based media.

Capta: Folsom prison. Maybe that can be a level.

The Almighty Aardvark:
Whenever I see Uwe Boll mentioned, I can't help but think of this comic: http://collectedcurios.com/sequentialart.php?s=637

OT: What a turd

http://www.the-whiteboard.com/autowb645.html Pops in my head. :D

teh_Canape:

Xsjadoblayde:
*Spurts out tea*

well, Rampage is widely considered to be his best, and to be a legitimately good film
so I'd say it counts for "critically acclaimed", even if that term sounds way more grand than it actually is

Yeah both Rampages are pretty good if you have the stomach for it. OP is incorrect, technically it starts out making you think it's a revenge flick, then about greed, but by the end of the second film its actually something much more interesting though at the end of the day you could still perceive it as revenge fantasy nonsense. Its up to the viewer and I think thats why critics are torn on it. Theres no hero and it doesn't spoon feed you. Also teh main actor is just awesome. Hes already getting parts in more legitimate studio movies now that Rampage has gained a following.

Basically Uwe bol is a guy took advantage of a german grant system to make easy money off people willing to shell money for movies with videogame names. It never really bothered me because I know how to read and didnt waste any money on seeing his films. Its not like he ruined some videogames dignity. I mean his worst offense was making some dumb adaptation of Alone in the Dark? and by that time the franchise was already dead and buried.

Then on the side hes been trying to make real movies and honestly his are a step up from quite a few jokes that have hit screens of late. I want a finale to Rampage but what uwe doesn't realize is his kickstarter sucks. The reward system totally sucks.

canap whats your avatar of?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or