Steam Summer Sale Begins, Homeworld, XCOM and More Discounted

Steam Summer Sale Begins, Homeworld, XCOM and More Discounted

Steam Summer Sale 2015

Gamer-sense tingling? Don't fear, the 2015 Steam Summer Sale is here!

Crack open your wallets gamers because it's June 11th and, as we reported back in May, the Steam Summer Sale has arrived!

The sale began just a little while ago and opened with a cluster of deals discounting a number of games and franchises anywhere from 25 to 80 percent. Included among the sale's opening deals are titles such as the Metro games, the Homeworld: Remastered Collection and XCOM. In addition to the standard deals, Valve has also debuted a new "Monster Summer Game" that customers can apparently play together to unlock more special discounts. We tried to play said game to provide some impressions but, unfortunately, weren't able to get in. In addition to all of this, the sale includes the usual mix of shifting flash deals which will refresh "every 12 hours."

Just personally, I've already spotted a few games that I'll probably be picking up. The PC version of Valkyria Chronicles, for instance, is only five dollars right now, which is an insane deal if you're a fan or turn-based RPGs or Japanese RPGs in general. Darkest Dungeon is currently also 25 percent off and, from what I've heard, would be more than worth tossing a few more dollars into Valve's overflowing cash pot. Take a peek at the current offerings and let us know which games you want to get and which you hope to see discounted in the days between now and the sale's end on June 20th.

Source: Steam

Warning though, Rockstar inflated the price of GTA 5 before the discount. Although you will receive an Tiger Shark Cash Card with it, its basically only a little extra multiplayer cash, which isn't exactly hard to obtain. So yeah. Scumbags.

Wuvlycuddles:
Warning though, Rockstar inflated the price of GTA 5 before the discount. Although you will receive an Tiger Shark Cash Card with it, its basically only a little extra multiplayer cash, which isn't exactly hard to obtain. So yeah. Scumbags.

I just checked the storefront and the base game is still available seperately and is not on sale at all.

Giving a bump for what Wuvlycuddles said, someone came and told us during a stream and we couldn't believe it, turns out yes they inflated the price so the sale wouldn't do anything. They also don't have the base GTA 5 on sale, so it is still 60 bucks.

BUYER BEWARE, GTA V and several other games are having their base prices hiked just as the sale begins (Rockstars tries to justify this by bundling in-game currency with every purchase of GTA V).
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.876802-GTA-V-and-Other-Games-Have-Their-Prices-Raised-as-Steam-Sales-Begin

Thanks for the heads up, guys. I was all ready to throw my money at GTA V, but then i noticed that the 25% off price was still a bit high... Also, none of the other bundles (Max Payne or older GTA titles for 75% off) interested me as I already have them.

ShakerSilver:
BUYER BEWARE, GTA V and several other games are having their base prices hiked just as the sale begins (Rockstars tries to justify this by bundling in-game currency with every purchase of GTA V).
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.876802-GTA-V-and-Other-Games-Have-Their-Prices-Raised-as-Steam-Sales-Begin

Hmm... I might go tweak the headline...

*Looks up* Well that's a fucking dick move. Praying to god we don't get the apologists who drone "Well it's a business, a business' job is to make money"

It seems like Rockstar caught wind of a little bit of outrage and have listed the game separately from the "Shark Cash Cards" for it's normal price (hoo-rah). The price of the bundle is still grossly inflated.

Aaaand it comes with a...cookie clicker-esque game? Really, Valve?

erttheking:
*Looks up* Well that's a fucking dick move. Praying to god we don't get the apologists who drone "Well it's a business, a business' job is to make money"

On the steam forum there's already a 4 page thread started by someone using just that logic, under the very incorrect assumption that the in game money cards are worth anything to anyone.

Zontar:

erttheking:

On the steam forum there's already a 4 page thread started by someone using just that logic, under the very incorrect assumption that the in game money cards are worth anything to anyone.

I would say that I'm surprised, but that would be a lie.

I'll just say I'm massively fucking disappointed.

Also worth pointing out that buying the GTA "bundle" invalidates any chance of you getting a newly introduced Steam Refund if the game doesn't work or w/e, since the "card" that comes with the game is non-refundable.

Cowabungaa:
Aaaand it comes with a...cookie clicker-esque game? Really, Valve?

Oh yeah, to unlock the discounts you need to get points in a clicker game to win cards or discounts or some shit. To think the latest original game from Valve is the "Discount Game".

Crap, Tales from Borderlands is in the sales. I mean sure it a saving but it is incomplete? I must muster up a will to resist buying it until it is fully complete!

ShakerSilver:

Unless it's the GOTY edition. Otherwise, yeah! Foul play, Rockstar!

The monster game doesn't work. Just like most of the new fiddlywinks steam does for each sale, on day 1.

erttheking:

Ugh! Yes. That's one of the most obnoxious cop outs out there.

Scarim Coral:
Crap, Tales from Borderlands is in the sales. I mean sure it a saving but it is incomplete? I must muster up a will to resist buying it until it is fully complete!

Why not just buy it and then not play it till its finished. Chances are 50% off is about the best you're goin to get with a Telltale game. Heck, Season 1 of Walking Dead still rarely gets below 50% off and thats decently old at this point.

That Monster Game makes me realize two things:

1: I have to have those songs for my personal music collection.

2: Valve needs to make an old-school, 8-bit/16-bit style game.

Anyway, I have a few things I'm hoping to nab during the Sale. Going to wait to see if Grey Goo comes down to a price I'm more comfortable with.

Hold the phone, Ricochet is only $0.99?

Gabe you sure know how to make a customer.

Vigormortis:

Anyway, I have a few things I'm hoping to nab during the Sale. Going to wait to see if Grey Goo comes down to a price I'm more comfortable with.

Agreed, though I'm not sure it will. The most I'd like to spend on that is twenty usd. Though I might spend a bit more, maybe.

I wanted to get Wolfenstein:TNO we'll see if that comes down any more.

Ishal:

Agreed, though I'm not sure it will. The most I'd like to spend on that is twenty usd. Though I might spend a bit more, maybe.

I wanted to get Wolfenstein:TNO we'll see if that comes down any more.

I mean, push comes to shove I can validate spending $30 on it. I'm still hoping for a bit less, given I don't want to spend too much this sale and have a number of titles I want to pick up (for me and for others), but since I'm likely to be the only person amongst my group of friends to play the game, I'm not comfortable spending the asking price of $50 for a singleplayer RTS.

On a side note: Dear gods...those Monster Game songs are gonna be stuck in my head for days.

shintakie10:

Scarim Coral:

Why not just buy it and then not play it till its finished. Chances are 50% off is about the best you're goin to get with a Telltale game. Heck, Season 1 of Walking Dead still rarely gets below 50% off and thats decently old at this point.

Don't they do a bundle like the buy the whole episodes once it's all out? If they do then it's kinda a waste of money (even with the discount) to buy one at a time. If not then why not???

At least you guys can get into the fucking Monster Game.
I tried the afternoon yesterday and all I got was "There was an error trying to join a game. Please try again later."
And that's all I'm getting now!
So I guess I'm not going to be getting any of those nice Summer Cards to sell..

Vigormortis:

Someone on Reddit managed to find them.

Background Music: http://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steamcommunity/public/assets/minigame/towerattack/sfx/backgroundtrack.ogg or http://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steamcommunity/public/assets/minigame/towerattack/sfx/backgroundtrack.mp3

Boss Battle: http://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steamcommunity/public/assets/minigame/towerattack/sfx/bosslevel.ogg or http://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steamcommunity/public/assets/minigame/towerattack/sfx/bosslevel.mp3

You should be able to save them from there.

Vigormortis:

On a side note: Dear gods...those Monster Game songs are gonna be stuck in my head for days.

The stupid thing doesn't seem to work for me. I've tried since yesterday to play it, but it's never able to connect me to a game.

Shame, maybe they're still working the kinks out.

Scarim Coral:

shintakie10:

Scarim Coral:

Don't they do a bundle like the buy the whole episodes once it's all out? If they do then it's kinda a waste of money (even with the discount) to buy one at a time. If not then why not???

If you're on PC then if you buy the game you get all the episodes with the cost. The only place I'm aware of that even allows you to buy single episodes of Telltale games is on consoles.

I mean, if you're completely opposed to the idea of "buying an incomplete game" even with the assurance that the game will absolutely be completed down the road then waiting is the only option. If not then buying it now is a very smart move especially since episode 3 will be out in a couple weeks.

Vigormortis:

Ishal:

Well, lucky for you two!
Grey Goo is currently at 60% off, putting it at $19.99.
Just a heads up in case you haven't seen it yet. :P

kailus13:

Someone on Reddit managed to find them.

Background Music: http://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steamcommunity/public/assets/minigame/towerattack/sfx/backgroundtrack.ogg or http://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steamcommunity/public/assets/minigame/towerattack/sfx/backgroundtrack.mp3

Boss Battle: http://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steamcommunity/public/assets/minigame/towerattack/sfx/bosslevel.ogg or http://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steamcommunity/public/assets/minigame/towerattack/sfx/bosslevel.mp3

You should be able to save them from there.

Fantastic news.

Dr. Thrax:

Well, lucky for you two!
Grey Goo is currently at 60% off, putting it at $19.99.
Just a heads up in case you haven't seen it yet. :P

Also fantastic news.

Ishal:

The stupid thing doesn't seem to work for me. I've tried since yesterday to play it, but it's never able to connect me to a game.

Shame, maybe they're still working the kinks out.

Not...fantastic news.

Attempting to start a new game tends to give a number of people trouble. Joining a friends game in progress seems to be the more reliable method.

Best of luck to you.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here