Final Fantasy VII Remake Coming to PS4

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Finally. I'll wait for it to come out on PC. Now to wait for an announcement of a updated version of FF:Tactics coming to PC and all will be right with the world and square will take even more of my money.

Scrythe:
Well, it's official. Square Enix has just announced to the world that they are in desperate need of money.

Except you know, SE actually release regular quarter financial reports, and have been doing quite well since FF14 ARR launched.

Dreadman75:
Huh. I keep forgetting FF XIV is a thing that still exists. Not in any sort of snarky, derisive way mind you. I just don't play it myself and I don't hear much about it anywhere so I just keep forgetting about it. But now that you mention it that could very well be the case. If so, good for XIV!

Actually, FF7 would still be leading in the sales number, as FF7 is nearing 11 million copies in sales after the various re-releases over the years, while FF14 has just broken the 4 million accounts mark. That being said, if you want to talk actual profit, there is little doubt that FF14 annihilates FF7 in actual profit generated.

vagabondwillsmile:
Those are good points, especially the first one. It's true that since FFVII, there have been many powerful, emotional, stories. So there is that possibility that today's audiences, having already been primed for and exposed to stuff with more meat, may not be as profoundly affected as gamers for whom FFVII was their very first exposure to that kind of story telling. It does make sense; I totally see where you are coming from.

You can see where they're coming from, doesn't actually validate their statements though. I mean, what they're doing is basically jumping into a C4 Corvette, and then go "hmmm.... meh, nothing special, this is overrated!", because they just drove a spanking new C7 Corvette.

Better give us the PC version as well Square or I swear to all the Heavens we will riot.

What a time to be alive. FF7, The Last Guardian, Shenmue 3... we're short of one Polybius machine from singularity.

Johnny Novgorod:
What a time to be alive. FF7, The Last Guardian, Shenmue 3... we're short of one Polybius machine from singularity.

Half Life 3?

I mean, why not? Hell has already frozen over, and pigs have been airborne since yesterday.

Ugh, I'm sad to see Square Enix wasting resources on something old. Again. I understand that the fans want it, so whatever, fine, remake it, but the game doesn't really hold up to today's standards if this is just going to be the same game on graphical steroids. FFVII was good, but I find it to just be mediocre compared to the rest of the franchise.

The upside is that this remake could be more than a face-lift; it's a chance for them to tell a better version of their original story. The downside is that it will probably take all of the spin-off shit (including Cloud's new mopey personality) into account and lump it in there.

I think we can all have faith in this remake at least being very true to the original. After all, Square is on thin ice with the public as it is. Can you imagine the fresh hell that will rain down upon them if they fuck this up?

Ha! Looks like I made 30 bucks.
All the old guard Japanese publishers (save possibly Nintendo) are getting desperate or tired and it shows.
This was inevitable.

I was a fan of FF7 when it was new, making me one of those gamers it's apparently cool to "hate" for liking such an "overrated" game...and I've been against a remake because I HAVE ACTUALLY SEEN WHAT SQUEENIX IS WILLING TO SELL UNDER THE FF7 FRANCHISE, and it ranges from "decent" to "heroin-snorting-stupid".

No release date was given

And that's why I'll wait until I see it before I believe it.

kyp275:

Scrythe:
Well, it's official. Square Enix has just announced to the world that they are in desperate need of money.

Except you know, SE actually release regular quarter financial reports, and have been doing quite well since FF14 ARR launched.

Dreadman75:
Huh. I keep forgetting FF XIV is a thing that still exists. Not in any sort of snarky, derisive way mind you. I just don't play it myself and I don't hear much about it anywhere so I just keep forgetting about it. But now that you mention it that could very well be the case. If so, good for XIV!

Actually, FF7 would still be leading in the sales number, as FF7 is nearing 11 million copies in sales after the various re-releases over the years, while FF14 has just broken the 4 million accounts mark. That being said, if you want to talk actual profit, there is little doubt that FF14 annihilates FF7 in actual profit generated.

vagabondwillsmile:
Those are good points, especially the first one. It's true that since FFVII, there have been many powerful, emotional, stories. So there is that possibility that today's audiences, having already been primed for and exposed to stuff with more meat, may not be as profoundly affected as gamers for whom FFVII was their very first exposure to that kind of story telling. It does make sense; I totally see where you are coming from.

You can see where they're coming from, doesn't actually validate their statements though. I mean, what they're doing is basically jumping into a C4 Corvette, and then go "hmmm.... meh, nothing special, this is overrated!", because they just drove a spanking new C7 Corvette.

I'm under no obligation to validate someone else's thoughts or what one says about those thoughts. He and I disagree generally, but I made my points (all of which are valid), he made his (all of which are equally valid), I acknowledged how one point in particular, seemingly a foundation for his opinion is a good one, and that I understand it and respect it - even if I don't necessarily share it. This is not a problem. There is no need to "validate" subjective opinions or how they differ from person to person; simple acknowledgement will do just fine. And in context, your analogy is much more simple than the point was he was making. I mean you boiled it down to it's basic logical essence I suppose, but that's not really doing it justice. We were just having a friendly, respectful conversation.

Really, I've lost all interest in a FF7 remake, and I used to be super excited about the possibility. I just have no faith that SquareEnix can do the game justice anymore, not after playing their more recent work like FF12. Plus, the original game had a lot of charm with nice backgrounds and the models were actually really expressive even if they did have arms like Popeye.

That trailer kind of sucked too. Having Booker Dewitt read nonsense poetry leads me to believe that the remake will be more in line with Advent Children than with the original game, i.e. retarded plot but pretty animations.

Honestly, this is kinda surreal.

I mean, I never played FFVII, being, you know, four years old when it came out and not being aware of its existence, but I've been hearing fans clamoring over a remake since I was 12, when they showed off that PS3 tech demo in 2005. After ten years of Square Enix debunking rumor after rumor, telling people that they just can't do it, and watching fans being left nearly hopeless, to finally unveil that they are doing it, is a lot to take in, and is something that I never really expect to see.

Really, the audience and online reactions speak for themselves. I've seen videos of people losing their minds and tearing up at the announcement, and it's hard for me not to get wrapped up in their excitement. Very similar with Shenmue III, which I know even less about, but fans have been waiting for a sequel for 14 years and it shows. These are games that a ton of people grew up with and mean a lot to, and I kinda wish I could feel what they're feeling. Seeing their reactions, however, makes me happier than the announcements themselves, and it's why it sorta upsets me seeing people here being all cynical about it.

I've played FF VII once every year since 1997 and while I know this game and the rest of the VII "series" more than anyone should :(
and I couldn't be happier about this announcement, I just hope the PC version supports mods

Its no Final Fantasy 9.

Anyway there are several pitfalls involved in this but the nastiest and most likely to be fallen into is the "flanderization" of the characters most disastrous being Cloud and Sephiroth. If both of them are portrayed like they are these days which is how a lot of people actually think they were in FF7 than oh boy it ain't going to be pretty.

Also I have no problems with them adding new stuff. Expand Midgar, make Avalanche temporary party members, and heck throw in some harmless new characters in while at it. I'd not mind a new villain like a Soldier 1st class guy or something who'll fill in as the boss for new areas in Midgar (and I suppose be the boss before you face Hojo instead of having generic soldier guys about).

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here