PC Gamers Reporting Issues With Batman: Arkham Knight - Update

Pages 1 2 NEXT

PC Gamers Reporting Issues With Batman: Arkham Knight - Update

Players of the PC version of Batman: Arkham Knight are reporting many issues with the title.

Update: Game director and co-founder of Rocksteady Games Sefton Hill has released a duo of tweets addressing the issues. "I'm aware that some users are reporting performance issues with the PC version. This is something that Rocksteady takes very seriously. WBGames is working with the PC developer IronGalaxy to address the issues ASAP. Rocksteady will provide any support to get this resolved."

Original Story: Release day is a big day for any video game developer or publisher, and Batman: Arkham Knight is no different. This highly anticipated title unfortunately ran into quite a few issues following its midnight release, most notably with PC users. Gamers have taken to Steam, Reddit, 4chan, NeoGAF, and a variety of other comment sections and forums to discuss the issues they have run into, which include frequent stuttering, sporadic freezing, memory leaks, and audio glitches while moving around.

Many gamers also reported a 30fps cap. Although a poster in NeoGAF shared a way to work around that (Go to the Arkham Knight installation folder and navigate to "BmGameConfigBmSystemSettings.ini". In the config file, change "Max_FPS=30" to "Max_FPS=9999") Reddit users have reported instability issues when doing so.

The issues appear most apparent for those using AMD graphics cards, with multiple users reporting a drop to as low as 5fps during certain points of gameplay. Warner Bros Interactive VP of game technology Gary Lake-Schall addressed the issue on Steam, saying "there are some known issues with the performance of Batman: Arkham Knight for PC owners using AMD graphics cards. We are working closely with AMD to rectify these issues as quickly as possible and will provide updates here as they become available. We thank you for your patience in this matter."

Rocksteady acknowledged the issue in a brief statement, saying "We're aware that some users are reporting performance issues with the PC version of Batman: Arkham Knight. This is something that Rocksteady takes very seriously. We are working closely with our external PC development partner to make sure these issues get resolved as quickly as possible. We'll update this thread when we've got more info to share."

Currently, only 30% of the 2,591 reviews for Arkham Knight on Steam are positive.

Batman: Arkham Knight released at midnight on June 23 for Xbox, PS4, and PC.

I am so happy I didn't pre-order! Didn't get burn this time like it happend with Arkham Origins.
I was tempted to pre-order... though.

I will probably get it in a few months when they fix all the problems at a lower price... they don't deserve full price.

StorkV:
I am so happy I didn't pre-order! Didn't get burn this time like it happend with Arkham Origin.

I will probably get it in a few months when they fix all the problems at a lower price... they don't deserve full price.

Why, pray tell, do they not deserve a full price? There hasn't been an Arkham game made by them that wasn't superb, and this one is no exception. Glitches are fixable. A bad game can't be fixed. This isn't a bad game.

I wonder If this is going to be related to the graphics card conflict that's been going on for a while. The witcher 3 pc version had such issues.

Makabriel:

StorkV:
I am so happy I didn't pre-order! Didn't get burn this time like it happend with Arkham Origin.

Why, pray tell, do they not deserve a full price? There hasn't been an Arkham game made by them that wasn't superb, and this one is no exception. Glitches are fixable. A bad game can't be fixed. This isn't a bad game.

Quality is very subjective.

He may think it is a shit game. Or a great game.

It sure as hell is not STALKER 2 though. :(

Makabriel:

StorkV:

This is a broken game! As much I enjoy the Arkham series, releasing broken products is a bit disrespectful towards your costumers... but that's my opinion...

They have confirmed both AMD and Nvidia users are suffering issues. AMD is of course having performance issues up the jacksie while Nvidia is suffering from SLI related issues, stuttering, flickering, freezing, etc (especially in Win 8.1) and that's with the new drivers. Add to that a 30FPS cap to that and you've got a colossal cockup of a release.

Soo... business as usual than. Guess I shall wait a couple months like I did with Asylum and City.

Well, didnt need my crystal ball to see that coming. Just more salt in the wound for people burned by preorders.

Makabriel:

StorkV:

That is all true, but im not going to rush to empty my wallet for something that will barely run on my PC for all the wrong reasons.

Whether a price reduction or a performance patch comes first is entirely up to them.

Xsjadoblayde:
I wonder If this is going to be related to the graphics card conflict that's been going on for a while. The witcher 3 pc version had such issues.

Check back in a few days for AMD execs openly accusing Nvidia of foul play then.

More like Arkham Shite, amirite?

Not a statement on the quality of the game itself, just how it's currently running. By most reviews, it sounds pretty great.

*sigh* yeah, saw this earlier today. At this point, it'd make more sense to just report on the few (if any?) triple A PC games that didn't have major issues on release day that made the game near unplayable.

I'm hoping the new Steam refund policy bites Rocksteady in the arse now, I really do. Would be a nice trend to see people start voting with their refunds, if not with their wallets.

Pity to, since all the reviews for consoles are giving it near perfect 10s. Honestly, if this was just an issue with FPS being capped, I'd just call it PC whining. But I've seen gameplay, the FPS is total shite and unplayable. Great timing for Steam refund and I hope they get it playable ASAP.

Xsjadoblayde:

*Looks at Witcher 3 on the 6 year old mid range ATI HD 5770*
What?

But they're the golden race! How can anything ever, possibly go wrong with ALL PCs?! They spent thousands of dollars on those rigs! Are you telling me what setting a PC can run is ultimately meaningless if the game isn't optimized well?!

Seems like every game nowadays is screwing up its pc release

Silentpony:
But they're the golden race! How can anything ever, possibly go wrong with ALL PCs?! They spent thousands of dollars on those rigs! Are you telling me what setting a PC can run is ultimately meaningless if the game isn't optimized well?!

Yup.
The wit her 3 on release ran at 24 fps on my system.
Now its at 40

I can verify the reports with my own experience, the game has significant stuttering and texture streaming issues in the open world. Its not quite unplayable for me but its frustrating enough to bring down the overall enjoyment I should be getting from the game itself. Strangely enough the Harley Quinn DLC runs just fine even with max settings but the main game is a completely different story I can only imagine how bad it must be for people with older graphics cards.

On my PC its unplayable. Personally I blame the rain as weather effects (and added reflections) always tax a system. Oh well, back to Heavensward.

Apparently the port was outsourced and only 12 people were responsible for making it.
Surely I'm not the only one who is hearing this for the first time?

Link to source
http://www.kitguru.net/gaming/development/matthew-wilson/arkham-knight-pc-port-was-outsourced-to-a-console-studio/

Earlier today we discussed the poor state of Batman: Arkham Knight on the PC. Now we are starting to get a clearer picture of where things went wrong on the development side as Rocksteady has revealed that it used an "external PC development partner" to make the PC version of the game. Not only did Rocksteady not have a hand in the PC version but development was outsourced to a small studio made up of just twelve people.

The twelve people credited for working on the PC version of Arkham Knight work for Iron Galaxy Studios, a lesser known developer that has primarily developed for the last generation consoles and iOS. This is the team that worked on Destiny for the PS3, the PS Vita version of Borderlands 2 and helped out in the development of Batman: Arkham Origins, which also suffered heavily on the PC at launch.

OK everyone refunds Time, With steam refund policy now it's time to make them pay for releasing A Game with "Known Shippables"

tf2godz:
OK everyone refunds Time, With steam refund policy now it's time to make them pay for releasing A Game with "Known Shippables"

I've gotten my refund, and ordered the game for my Xbone instead. I'd like to support Rocksteady, and play Batman, but my goodness what a mess they made with the framerate in the batmobile.

Huh these issues sound nearly as bad that one bug I got in Arkham Origins on the PS3 version where after decking a guy I somehow summoned a portal behind a progression door and proceeded to fall into a pitch black void that I can only assume was a physical manifestation of batman's brooding. Thankfully I died rather than being subjected to an infinite descent through Bruce Wayne's psyche.

tf2godz:

Or you could do what i did and abandon all notion of blind faith in a AAA PC release, and only ever purchase a game after its earned its Certification of Not Shit.

Also comes with the considerable upside of being able to smugly tell people that that is what preorders get you.

harrisongrimms:
Seems like every game nowadays is screwing up its pc release

Well im happy to report that Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition runs just as well on PC as the original version did 8 years ago.

StorkV:

This is a broken game! As much I enjoy the Arkham series, releasing broken products is a bit disrespectful towards your costumers... but that's my opinion...

You obviously have not been playing PC games for very long, have you? It's almost virtually impossible to release a major PC title without some need for a patch or a fix. There are way too many variables to be accounted for. It's why consoles are better releases, it's because each and every Xbox or PS is Exactly The Same. No variation.

Watched Jim play this and it stutters every 10 - 15 seconds. Thats a pretty obvious fuck up that you think they would notice before release. Really hate when they release stuff that doesnt work day one and you have to wait for patches or modders. Also read somewhere that some other company made the PC port so maybe thats why?

Most i got out of the jim video was how boring the batmobile is. Just the fights with the drone tanks are just unexciting and uninteresting. Should have left the batmobile as just a quick travel alternative to gliding instead of forcing it as a necessary thing.

oh you entitled gamers, you dont deserve a functioning product at launch.

cmon you crybabies, everyone knows games these days ship with major problems that take weeks to fix. it is COMMON, so you should JUST GET USED TO IT.

suck it up cupcake, the days of games working at launch is passe. your bourgeois notion of quality is quaint. let them eat cake!

Pre-Order now, and get the "Batman: Bugs in Your Belfry" special bonus pack pre-installed, absolutely free!

I've enjoyed the Rocksteady Batman games I've played, but there's a good reason the games I pre-order- or buy on release- are extremely few and far between.

Uh no, the Witcher 3 thing was an opportunity for AMD to sling as much mud as it could at Nvidia for what amounted to nothing more than AMD being total and utter shit when it comes to releasing updated and timely drivers for new games. Instead of looking in house and asking why community modders were able to fix their drivers and get things like hairworks working it was easier to blame CD Project Red and Nvidia with some made up BS about them being locked out of the code and not having access to the final game code.

Batman on the other hand is just a game that was built for console that has under gone a totally piss poor PC conversion, hence the universe poor performance on all rigs respective of the hard ware it is running on.

You forgot to mention the fun part, on top of the game running like shit and stuttering like a madman, it looks worse than the console versions, due to it seemingly missing several visual effects like ambient occlusion, rain effects on models and bokeh dof. (And it runs far worse than the weaker systems that have those! What a joke.)

What a fucking travesty. Screw everyone involved in this mess, they knew that it was hot garbage, yet they were more than happy to get peoples money. Thank fuck for refunds being available on most storefronts.

Oh, and I've also read that the game might have Denuvo in it too. So good on them for only allowing their paying customers to eat all this putrid shit. (With a thing that may or may not contribute to some of the issues at hand, to boot.) Really gave the pirates what for.

Laughing Man:

Uh no, the Witcher 3 thing was an opportunity for AMD to sling as much mud as it could at Nvidia for what amounted to nothing more than AMD being total and utter shit when it comes to releasing updated and timely drivers for new games. Instead of looking in house and asking why community modders were able to fix their drivers and get things like hairworks working it was easier to blame CD Project Red and Nvidia with some made up BS about them being locked out of the code and not having access to the final game code.

Batman on the other hand is just a game that was built for console that has under gone a totally piss poor PC conversion, hence the universe poor performance on all rigs respective of the hard ware it is running on.

What a laughable state of affairs it is that games on PC are basically so poorly coded that the people that write graphics drivers basically have to write a unique driver-side hack for every major game release just to get it to work properly.
It seems like a rather absurd situation, but it's true.
Game devs no longer know how to code properly in a way that is in any way optimal for the hardware. (or sometimes even following basic api requirements). And in the rush to fix this and make their hardware look better, the driver developers have introduced so many hacks and alternate code paths, that even if you did kind of know how to do it right, you'd still mess it up because you cab't predict which particular byzantine combinations of hacks and workarounds your code might trigger, and thus can't be in any way sure what will happen.

http://www.gamedev.net/topic/666419-what-are-your-opinions-on-dx12vulkanmantle/#entry5215019

Just read that for a second, and tell me that sounds like a healthy situation?
Seems we really need vulcan/mantle/whatever... Though then you might just find out just how bad at graphics programming many devs actually are...

Makabriel:

StorkV:

You obviously have not been playing PC games for very long, have you? It's almost virtually impossible to release a major PC title without some need for a patch or a fix. There are way too many variables to be accounted for. It's why consoles are better releases, it's because each and every Xbox or PS is Exactly The Same. No variation.

Oh may I excuse myself! I am retarded and mentally disabled for not noticing this! Now I understand, you've shown me the light! It's ok If you preorder and the product is unplayable the first month(referring to arkham origins)! Because we're on PC!!! Thank you! Excuse my ignorance! I mean there are many other companies that can release a stable game for most PCs but we gotta excuse the Batman series cause you're a fanboy.

I saw a red flag when they mentioned IronGalaxy. I wouldn't blame Rocksteady for this, I don't know IG's history, but if you outsource your port (if it was one) then there is usually some problems that occur simply because there's a different team working on it.

The way Rocksteady makes their games is becoming a lost art, they really put hard work and love into their product, a rare thing for developers of this day. That usually means the game is more complex in it's construction. I would expect Uncharted 4 to have performance issues if the port was also outsourced.

Although with the recent claims about Nvidia, this might blow up into a much bigger thing down the line. I really hope that doesn't happen.

Also I found it funny that 4chan was the only one that wasn't hyperlinked.

StorkV:

Makabriel:

StorkV:

Oh may I excuse myself! I am retarded and mentally disabled for not noticing this! Now I understand, you've shown me the light! It's ok If you preorder and the product is unplayable the first month(referring to arkham origins)! Because we're on PC!!! Thank you! Excuse my ignorance! I mean there are many other companies that can release a stable game for most PCs but we gotta excuse the Batman series cause you're a fanboy.

He was only saying, no need to get pissy about it.

But he's right, most games now, especially for PC won't be the best on launch, now, During the 360/PS3 days, they were better, because developers knew how to code properly for the games. Developers now have the Xbox One and PS4, 2 new beasts that they are still learning to use properly, and how best to code them without much issue. This will cause problems for PC ports for at least another year or so until developers get used to coding for the Xbox one and Ps4.

Batman Arkham knight was meant to be released on the 360 and ps3 if i remember rightly, this may of also caused a few hitches, this game has been delayed quite a few times now.

Is that an excuse? No. They should of properly checked the PC port, and i can bet anything Rocksteady and WB Studios are going to be hounding IronGalaxy because of this.

The game has fallen to "Mostly Negative" (68% -ve votes currently) on Steam due to the stuttering issue. On NeoGAF people are reporting that even playing with GTX970 or Titan doesn't solve the issue. Plus, the included Benchmark doesn't reflect the game at all since it benchmarks with the FPS unlocked, but gameplay is locked to 30 FPS.

This, and the announcement of cancellation of Batmobile edition one day before it supposed to be shipped (screwing people out of the other limited edition due to it being sold out earlier) seems like one disaster after another.

EDIT: Also it seems like this game is eating VRAM like crazy. One poster in NeoGAF reported that on his system the game consume 8.5 GB of RAM, which might contribute to the stuttering due to the game moving huge chunks of data in and out of the RAM for asset streaming.

Makabriel:

StorkV:

There's a patch or fix and then there is this situation. Iron Galaxy should be ashamed of themselves for the abysmal state the PC version is in.

I pretty much expect every modern PC game to be broken, and needing a bunch of fixes, but I don't mind it. I'm actually pretty happy about it. I've learned so much about how my computer operates, all kinds of fascinating under-the-hood things. As long as I can eventually get it working, I'm fine.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here