Terraria's 1.3 Patch is Now Live!

Terraria's 1.3 Patch is Now Live!

terraria 1.2 image

Among many new items and fixes, Terraria's 1.3 patch streamlines multiplayer - no more port forwarding and IP sharing!

The day is finally here! That massive 1.3 patch we talked about for the PC version of Terraria has finally gone live - absolutely free of charge of course. Among many new items, features, and bug fixes, 1.3 completely streamlines the entire multiplayer process. It's now as simple as right clicking on a friend in Steam and choosing "join game" - gone are the days of port forwarding and IP sharing.

Dedicated server hosters will still need to download the dedicated server software of course, but joining them is a much simpler affair.

Additionally, if for some reason you've yet to pick up the game, there's a special 1.3 patch launch week discount right now, knocking 25% off the price.

To see all the stuff that has been added, be sure to check out the official changelog. Though, keep in mind that "Terraria is a game about exploring", and Re-logic says it has hidden quite a few surprises in there.

For now, the patch has only been officially announced for the PC version of the game - it's unclear when (or if) it will make its way to Terraria's various console and handheld versions.

To download the patch, simply boot up Steam and it should automatically start. Enjoy!

Source: Re-Logic

Sweet merciful Buddhachrist! Thanks for the reminder! Time to roll up a new character and get started...

Question. Did Terraria always have achievements?

NeutralDrow:

Nope, that was one of the new additions to the patch. I like it, it's a good indicator for how far you've gotten into seeing all of the content Terraria has to offer.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to stock up on non-perishable food and water before I bunker up my room, 'cause I'm going to be playing this shit for a long, loooooooong time.

T-Shirt Turtle:

NeutralDrow:

Nope, that was one of the new additions to the patch. I like it, it's a good indicator for how far you've gotten into seeing all of the content Terraria has to offer.

Speaking of good indicators of how far you've gotten into something, looks like blocks now have visual indicators of how much damage they've taken.

Really small thing to get excited about, but it's gonna make planning things much easier. I wonder what those mentions of "marble" and "granite" in the world creation meant, though...am I gonna get new building materials? I didn't think they could get better when I learned I could build houses and furniture out of cactus and congealed honey.

EDIT:
The Guide can defend himself now!

...and the gift that keeps on giving, keeps on giving.

Terraria is like what Minecraft could have been had Mojang actually given a damn about updating the game ever.
Gameplay? What on earth is that?

NeutralDrow:
achievements?

*Ears twitch*

Hm... for some reason I'm suddenly feeling like getting back into Terraria. Not really sure why.

NeutralDrow:

EDIT:

Dreams do come true! *cries tears of joy*

Achievements in Terraria? Guide can defend himself? What the hell is going on here.....that must be what my girl was squeeing about ( the achievement part). Welp, time to download zee patch...and glad to hear multiplayer is streamlined, that'll make things easier for us.

now if only starbound would come out officially... i bought it early access, but i didn't realize how early that access really was.

Dear gods....I'm only two hours in (taking some time, since my friend and I started an Expert world) but I'm already floored by the new additions. Even the minute touches are phenomenal, like the water dripping from the ceilings near bodies of water. And of course, the wealth of new sound effects, the new biomes, critters, and NPCs, the new backgrounds, the new weapons, etc, etc. I especially like the new Wormhole potion. Makes exploring with a friend dramatically easier.

I've been asked why I believe Re-Logic is one of the best indie-devs out there. The only answer I ever need to give is, "Look at what the game launched with, and look at what it has now. And bare in mind, those updates were free."

Now if you'll excuse me, it's back to attempting, yet again, to traverse my world's Corruption without dying - all the while hoping I can get my hands on the PDA...

NeutralDrow:

It did not. They're a part of the Steamworks integration they've implemented, the same system that allowed them to streamline the multiplayer as well.

I wonder what those mentions of "marble" and "granite" in the world creation meant, though...am I gonna get new building materials? I didn't think they could get better when I learned I could build houses and furniture out of cactus and congealed honey.

I can confirm that granite is not only a new kind of block and wall tile, but is also a furniture set and a new biome - complete with granite-themed creatures.

Haven't come across marble yet, but I have found a new NPC in the Underground named Boney Mays. He's like an eccentric version of the Traveling Merchant.

Not only that, but he (and the other NPCs) can use furniture and converse with each other. I've even seen my Merchant and Demolitionist playing rock, paper, scissors.

Damn expert mode. This shit is freaking awesome. I love it. Played like 8 hours yesterday and just got back from college and now going back to play again.
Eater is as easy as always with the Vilethorn.
But the Eye man. That freaking Eye is insane. And I was stupid enough to sell the awesome musket I got from Shadow Orbs. Killing the eye with the Vilthorn was damn hard. It just won't stop. Always moving around.

Also did Red change the RNG a bit or was my session blessed by the RNG Goddess? I got a cloud in a bottle right at the entrance of the cave close to the middle. Hermes boots like 1 drop below. There was a Pyramid with the sandstorm in a bottle close. First fishing and I fish the pickax, next fishing a golden crate with the turtle mount. Few fishing later and I get the saw fish.
Before the second night I had enough emeralds for a Emerald hook and enough platinum for a whole platinum armor set. I hope the blessing lasts a bit longer and I find water walking boots to combine them with the lava ring so that I can get Lava walkers.

Vigormortis:

I can confirm that granite is not only a new kind of block and wall tile, but is also a furniture set and a new biome - complete with granite-themed creatures.

Haven't come across marble yet, but I have found a new NPC in the Underground named Boney Mays. He's like an eccentric version of the Traveling Merchant.

Marble seems to be inspired by the Greek mythology. There are mobs like Medusa which will turn your into stone and kill you rather fast. Well, at least that was my case since she turned me to stone like on a ledge and pushed me down so the fall killed me. Then there are Javelin throwers who seem to be skeleton of former Spartan warriors.

Heh, I didn't even know about this patch, I do sure picked a good time to get back into Terraria.

Question though; do you need to re-generate your world to take advantage of all the new biome stuff? I assume you do.

martyrdrebel27:
now if only starbound would come out officially... i bought it early access, but i didn't realize how early that access really was.

To be fair, it IS a pretty big game, and it's completely playable as-is. That said though, I can't wait for it to be "done" as well. It's everything I love about Terraria only with an awesome sorta Sci-Fi/Fantasy setting that is right up my alley. I played the hell out of it when it first came out, but now I just wanna wait for the game to be finished before jumping back in.

Started up a new world with a bunch of my friends. Just non-stop fun. Everyone is pairing off looking for loot, and because of expert mode, the killfeed is constantly running.

I'm enjoying carving our disjointed mineshafts into a screaming mad minecart ride direct to hell. No more hellevators, we travel in style.

WhiteTigerShiro:

martyrdrebel27:

To be fair, it IS a pretty big game, and it's completely playable as-is. That said though, I can't wait for it to be "done" as well. It's everything I love about Terraria only with an awesome sorta Sci-Fi/Fantasy setting that is right up my alley. I played the hell out of it when it first came out, but now I just wanna wait for the game to be finished before jumping back in.

i'm in the same boat, played the hell out of it on launch, a few updates wiped my progress, i started again gladly each time, but now i'm just wanting to wait til full launch before jumping back in. last i played though, they promised the updates would stop resetting progress.

Vigormortis:

Not only that, but he (and the other NPCs) can use furniture and converse with each other. I've even seen my Merchant and Demolitionist playing rock, paper, scissors.

They can converse with each other AND use furniture? That is awesome. Now I wonder if the arms dealer will be even more aggressive in pursuing the lady npc's....I need to get home so I can start playing this. Or rather restart another world and play again.

The Lunar invasion is awesome, gotta hunt them down later when I got some time. I wonder what can you craft from the materials.

Edit: The Moon Lord, wtf is up with that guy, Jesus, gotta gear up with the new stuff it seems.

Easier multiplayer? YES! And 'chivos! Oh dis gon be good

Haven't gotten very far, yet (goddamn antlions), but I could swear that Terraria has been picking up some pointers from Starbound when it comes to new area design. And they're the right pointers (new area design and materials, without saying that every single shade and consistency of dirt is a different block type).

Question, though: what is Expert difficulty? Does that just start a world in Hardmode? Should I be creating one and using a more established character to build, or is it safe for new characters? And is there a limit on the amount of creatable worlds? I seem to remember it was ten before, but I could be wrong (and I'm on my last world if I'm right).

And what's that option to "save to cloud?" Does that mean you can make a multiplayer world without someone needing the server running constantly?

Vigormortis:

Oh, man...now I'm really going to have to up my house designs. Haven't gotten far yet (ran into huge trouble crossing a desert with just the starting equipment), but I noticed the Guide and Merchant occasionally talking about stuff. I'm usually perfectly fine with elaborate designs that need high jumping/grappling to get around, but if the NPCs themselves can finally take advantage of the layouts?

Not only am I going to have to keep in mind for my newest world that every level should be easily accessible via ramps, maybe with a few non-house, non-storage rooms thrown in, but I might have to retrofit some of my established worlds to be handicap-accessible, as it were...

EDIT: Wait a second, I wonder if I should check up on the Mechanic and the Goblin Engineer. I always put them in adjoining rooms.

NeutralDrow:
Haven't gotten very far, yet (goddamn antlions), but I could swear that Terraria has been picking up some pointers from Starbound when it comes to new area design. And they're the right pointers (new area design and materials, without saying that every single shade and consistency of dirt is a different block type).

Question, though: what is Expert difficulty? Does that just start a world in Hardmode? Should I be creating one and using a more established character to build, or is it safe for new characters? And is there a limit on the amount of creatable worlds? I seem to remember it was ten before, but I could be wrong (and I'm on my last world if I'm right).

And what's that option to "save to cloud?" Does that mean you can make a multiplayer world without someone needing the server running constantly?

Ok here is what I know so far, Expert difficulty apparently has better enemy Ai, for instance the eye keeps dashing and apparently better loot but I don't know about that. Also save to cloud means to save the character or world over the internet so that you can access them from other computers and to prevent them from getting corrupted

NeutralDrow:

You can have as many characters and worlds as you like. Re-Logic had added that in patch 1.2, but the new 'Save to Cloud' is new and comes with the Steamworks integration. Using the option saves your world to your Steam account's cloud saves, so you can access that world on any computer. (handy for keeping backups of worlds if you ever need to format your hard-drive)

As for Expert mode, it sets your world, upon creation, to a higher difficulty. The enemy spawns are tougher and more frequent, bosses are dramatically tougher to defeat, and events are more dangerous. But, as a trade-off, loot drops are a lot more common.

Oh, man...now I'm really going to have to up my house designs. Haven't gotten far yet (ran into huge trouble crossing a desert with just the starting equipment), but I noticed the Guide and Merchant occasionally talking about stuff. I'm usually perfectly fine with elaborate designs that need high jumping/grappling to get around, but if the NPCs themselves can finally take advantage of the layouts?

Not only am I going to have to keep in mind for my newest world that every level should be easily accessible via ramps, maybe with a few non-house, non-storage rooms thrown in, but I might have to retrofit some of my established worlds to be handicap-accessible, as it were...

Egh, just build some stairs using wood platforms. It's the easiest and quickest way to make multiple floors NPC-accessible.

ghalleon0915:

They can converse with each other AND use furniture? That is awesome. Now I wonder if the arms dealer will be even more aggressive in pursuing the lady npc's....I need to get home so I can start playing this. Or rather restart another world and play again.

I haven't had the chance to test it yet, but now I'm curious if the Love Potion and Stink Bomb have an effect on the NPCs behavior. Could make for some funny situations.

EbonBehelit:
...and the gift that keeps on giving, keeps on giving.

Terraria is like what Minecraft could have been had Mojang actually given a damn about updating the game ever.
Gameplay? What on earth is that?

Oh it's on now.

A big reason why Minecraft isn't updated constantly is because it screws with mod developers because they have to go back in and make their mod compatible with the new version usually, every time they update it. Minecraft has a very symbiotic powerful relationship with its modding community.

Having said that, the updates they give to the base game are steady and usually pretty good. One of their recent huge updates (1.8) fixed a whole bunch of performance issues for one. The game now runs pretty darn smoothly without having to have some master race processor.

Yeah, really happy about this one. Though the achievements don't seem to work all the time. I didn't get No Hobo, Ooo! Shiny!, Heart Breaker, I Am Loot! and a bunch of others.

Arnoxthe1:

A big reason why Minecraft isn't updated constantly is because it screws with mod developers because they have to go back in and make their mod compatible with the new version usually, every time they update it. Minecraft has a very symbiotic powerful relationship with its modding community.

Having said that, the updates they give to the base game are steady and usually pretty good. One of their recent huge updates (1.8) fixed a whole bunch of performance issues for one. The game now runs pretty darn smoothly without having to have some master race processor.

There's no good reason why Mojang can't add good elements of mod functionality into the base game. I think they don't because Minecraft is SO popular that any meaningful change would be met with backlash.

I've also never been able to run Minecraft at anything I'd describe as 'smooth'. Chunks always just stop loading, and my PC's pretty decent. I really hope that if a Minecraft 2 is on the cards, Mojang steer far, far away from Java.

kenu12345:

NeutralDrow:

Ok here is what I know so far, Expert difficulty apparently has better enemy Ai, for instance the eye keeps dashing and apparently better loot but I don't know about that. Also save to cloud means to save the character or world over the internet so that you can access them from other computers and to prevent them from getting corrupted

I can confirm the AI changes. The bosses do more challenging things that I don't recall them doing before. The eye was especially frightening, because at very low HP it never stopped roaring and charging even for a moment. Good thing we set up a skyrail system to fight from. I sped along so fast that the final form couldn't catch me. Hilarious. (lots of us still died though. Expert mode doesn't play around when it comes to bosses.)

The expert loot is amazing. Each player gets an additional instanced goody bag with its own loot table. Additional drops and crafting materials it seems, and in addition, completely unique items like

MHR:

kenu12345:

NeutralDrow:

I can confirm the AI changes. The bosses do more challenging things that I don't recall them doing before. The eye was especially frightening, because at very low HP it never stopped roaring and charging even for a moment. Good thing we set up a skyrail system to fight from. I sped along so fast that the final form couldn't catch me. Hilarious. (lots of us still died though. Expert mode doesn't play around when it comes to bosses.)

The expert loot is amazing. Each player gets an additional instanced goody bag with its own loot table. Additional drops and crafting materials it seems, and in addition, completely unique items like

I know its awesome. I figured out shortly after that post. I love the stuff from Queen Bee. Bout to move onto the wall and see what he drops

After screwing around for a bit in it, I gotta say the new Lunar weapons are RIDICULOUSLY overpowered. There's an achievement for fighting all of the metal bosses at the same time, and the Phantasm Bow finished 'em all off in under a minute. Given how ridiculous the Moon Lord is, probably a reason they're stupid overpowered when compared to everything else. 145,000 HP in normal mode is not gonna be burned down easily, that's for sure.

Also, while I'm not the biggest fan of Minions in Terraria, I gotta say, the Stardust Dragon is the coolest thing. Though that's probably because when I was fighting the Destroyer it pierced the length of it's body and did stupid amounts of damage. Also 'cause it makes farming souls so much easier.

Next thing I know it's 4 am... too many things to make and do.

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.