Mega Man: Legends Creator Kickstarts Spiritual Successor

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Mega Man: Legends Creator Kickstarts Spiritual Successor

Mega Man creator Keiji Inafune is at it again, this time Kickstarting a Mega Man: Legends spiritual successor.

Mega Man creator Keiji Inafune and Mega Man publisher Capcom haven't exactly had the rosiest of relationships. After being blue balled on multiple Mega Man projects, Inafune decided that enough was enough, and took to Kickstarter to produce a Mega Man spiritual successor: Mighty No. 9. Now, he's at it again, this time Kickstarting a spiritual successor to the ill-fated Mega Man: Legends series: Red Ash.

Just like how Legends was an open-world spin-off of Mega Man, Red Ash is an open-world spin-off of Mighty No. 9, and will feature the return of main characters Beck and Call, although their designs have been significantly altered.

"Red Ash is an opportunity to not only fulfill Keiji Inafune's desire to create a game that pays homage to Japanese animation, but also his vision of 'immersing players in a freely explorable anime world,'" writes comcept USA in the Kickstarter post. "With the Red Ash project, they aim to build an action adventure experience with a new level of freedom, complete with the polish expected from such veteran creators."

"Red Ash is an action adventure game with third person shooter elements. One of the main goals behind the project is to inject more modern design elements into the classic action adventure RPG formula."

Additionally, there is a second Red Ash Kickstarter, which aims to produce an animated series to accompany the game. Both the game and anime will go hand-in-hand, and will feature heavy collaboration from both studios.

If funded, Red Ash aims to release in July, 2017. Meanwhile, Mighty No. 9 is currently gearing up for a September 15 release, on pretty much very platform you can think of.

Source: Kickstarter

Wait...MN9 isn't out for three months right...and the guy's already got another Kickstarter up. Look, I get that people love Megaman, but this seems a bit too early for me, especially considering there's only a month for this one, meaning there's still like two months before the FIRST game releases by the time this money's pocketed.

Just stinks to me is all.

I was scared.

Now I'm terrified.

Mighty No. 9 could have been an innocent little spinnoff, but now he's aiming to create a franchise. I'm curious to see how Capcom responds... especially since they may have a case, if they chose to pursue this. God, Inafune, why do you do this to me? I'll be looking forward to buying this, especially with the attached studio. Just... don't leave us hanging on the moon, okay?

This is probably gonna break Kickstarter lol.

Now if we could see Steambot Chronicles 2 (Bumpy Trot) get crowdfunded.

For as little Keiji Inafune had to do with the creation of Mega Man compared to what's credited to him, he had a hell of a lot less to do with Mega Man Legends. Much of the staff that worked on the MML games are still at Capcom, and the developer Comcept is getting to make develop the game with, Hyde Inc, has only ever made mobile and browser games, and unlike Inti Creates that co-developed Mighty No. 9, the devs have no experience with the genre or source material they're trying to rip-off "pay homage too".

Not to mention, the game is being released episodically, so there's no guarantee that there will be any more games if the series underperforms. Keiji Inafune is simply creating nostalgia fanwank based on games he had very little involvement with.

ugh... I want the art book but it's at 79 bucks for a digital copy... and it's 89 dollars for a physical box. I think they are kinda... pricing these a bit too high for a kickstarter.

Well, it's a month before this kickstarter ends, which leaves about 2 months as the overlapping period in this and MN9's production.
Now, Keiji Inafune is a designer. Most of his work is to oversee art and direction and to come up with initial concepts. I can see him working alone on Red Ash at the start and focusing on it after MN9's launch - but that would mean no DLC content is planned out. That's more than fine by me, because it means they actually finished the game before shipping.

I don't know how Mega Man Legends is going to be adapted to modern consoles. It was essentially a futuristic open world dungeon explorer, and while we didn't have exactly that, there's been a plethora of games in each genre - and I can't see any of it fitting in a Mega Man formula. Maybe he's really trying something new? Time will tell, because I remain a skeptic until MN9's released and we'll see the results of its kickstarter.

Too Soon, Majordomo! is he really that concerned MN9 won't be good that he wants to milk people for more money for other projects before it's even out? I'm just really, really burned on this at this point, and Broken Age part 2 had me mad already...

ShakerSilver:
For as little Keiji Inafune had to do with the creation of Mega Man compared to what's credited to him, he had a hell of a lot less to do with Mega Man Legends. Much of the staff that worked on the MML games are still at Capcom, and the developer Comcept is getting to make develop the game with, Hyde Inc, has only ever made mobile and browser games, and unlike Inti Creates that co-developed Mighty No. 9, the devs have no experience with the genre or source material they're trying to rip-off "pay homage too".

Not to mention, the game is being released episodically, so there's no guarantee that there will be any more games if the series underperforms. Keiji Inafune is simply creating nostalgia fanwank based on games he had very little involvement with.

I'm surprised by this. What influence, if any, did he have on Legends? If he at least wrote the plot, I'd be happy.

In any case, he should have waited until No. 9 finished. I'm sure the good will from that (if there is any) would provide a boost. This is a little strange.

'Red Ash'?

I can't have been the first one to immediately think of this:

(ignore the 'vs')

Fox12:

ShakerSilver:

I'm surprised by this. What influence, if any, did he have on Legends? If he at least wrote the plot, I'd be happy.

In any case, he should have waited until No. 9 finished. I'm sure the good will from that (if there is any) would provide a boost. This is a little strange.

Yeah, I could understand a month before MN9's release, but this...just stinks of moneygrubbing...like they aren't confident in its launch. I mean, they already sold out to Squeenix, which pissed off alot of the fanbase from what I've heard because of things said in the private forums, and now they want more money for a "sequel" to a game that nobody's really had that much of a look at yet.

The fact he also wants people to crowdfund an anime series as well say's something about him. He couldn't have waited till MN9 to be released? Is he that insecure about the game's success, he already wants people to fund a new game and a cartoon.

Not apologizing here, this reeks of pure greed. Inafune may have left Capcom, but Capcom hasn't left him at all.

Redryhno:
Wait...MN9 isn't out for three months right...and the guy's already got another Kickstarter up. Look, I get that people love Megaman, but this seems a bit too early for me, especially considering there's only a month for this one, meaning there's still like two months before the FIRST game releases by the time this money's pocketed.

Uratoh:
Too Soon, Majordomo! is he really that concerned MN9 won't be good that he wants to milk people for more money for other projects before it's even out? I'm just really, really burned on this at this point, and Broken Age part 2 had me mad already...

Fox12:

ShakerSilver:

Redryhno:

Fox12:

ShakerSilver:

Yeah, I could understand a month before MN9's release, but this...just stinks of moneygrubbing...like they aren't confident in its launch. I mean, they already sold out to Squeenix, which pissed off alot of the fanbase from what I've heard because of things said in the private forums, and now they want more money for a "sequel" to a game that nobody's really had that much of a look at yet.

WolvDragon:
The fact he also wants people to crowdfund an anime series as well say's something about him. He couldn't have waited till MN9 to be released? Is he that insecure about the game's success, he already wants people to fund a new game and a cartoon.

Not apologizing here, this reeks of pure greed. Inafune may have left Capcom, but Capcom hasn't left him at all.

The alternative explanation to "lol greedy" is that there are sections of the dev studio that aren't working on MN9 anymore, and it's either get a new project going or fire/lay off staff. It's not unusual for a studio to have multiple projects running at various stages of development, and it's kind of necessary if they ever want to graduate from being reliant on Kickstarter to being a fully profitable company.

I mean, it could be excessive greed going here, but at this point I'm less concerned by Kickstarters than I am people bitching about Kickstarter based on nothing but speculation and their own negativity.

Kinda wish he was a little more creative with the design, he is too like Macflarne when it comes to character design.

Eh. Call me when he wants to Kickatart a ripoff "spiritual successor" of Battle Network.

God dammit release your other kickstarted game before you start another one.

Scrythe:
Eh. Call me when he wants to Kickatart a ripoff "spiritual successor" of Battle Network.

You and me both. Still, could be interesting.

That said, I'm surprised nobody mentioned the (perhaps intended) name joke:

Red Ash

Re Dash

(For those not aware, Megaman Legends is also known as Rockman Dash in Japan.)

Scars Unseen:

The alternative explanation to "lol greedy" is that there are sections of the dev studio that aren't working on MN9 anymore, and it's either get a new project going or fire/lay off staff. It's not unusual for a studio to have multiple projects running at various stages of development, and it's kind of necessary if they ever want to graduate from being reliant on Kickstarter to being a fully profitable company.

I mean, it could be excessive greed going here, but at this point I'm less concerned by Kickstarters than I am people bitching about Kickstarter based on nothing but speculation and their own negativity.

Or, you know, people might not like having one of their crazy genius uncles going around begging for more money when they haven't even delivered on the last great thing they promised yet.

Sure, it's not unusual for multiple projects to be running, but if that's the case, then maybe they should hold off on the crowdfunding for at least another month? Or maybe see if they can get a contract with Squeenix for it considering they're already publishing the damn thing?

Heck, even if they put up a kickstarter or whatever saying they want to become an independent dev and need the money to do so, I'd say fine, but this is for another game and series/movie when the first one isn't even out yet.

Still doesn't get rockman off of the darned moon :(

However, it does look interesting, I'll just wait for a platform of my choice to be announced before I back anything though.

It won't suprised me if this get fully funded any day now given to the sucess of Mighty Number 9.

Also wait, the girl name is the same as the one in MN9?

Exactly. You want comcept to work people well they cant just sit and fap off till "you" think its time for them to work again.

Scarim Coral:
It won't suprised me if this get fully funded any day now given to the sucess of Mighty Number 9.

Also wait, the girl name is the same as the one in MN9?

in the same way that megaman and megaman legends had characters with shared names(roll and megaman) so to will red ash and mighty no 9 have shared names for there characters. So yeah that boy in the pic's name is beck. seems handsome I dont know if I like the jacket better on or off.

D'oh, I was hoping for Mighty No. X to be made before the Legends spin off. I did expect the Legends equivalent first, though, because of the whole "Capcom being a killjoy" issue.

But, boy, does the big guy sure look like a brown haired Teisle Bonne, and the girl looks like (a curvier) Roll Caskett. At least try to make the similarities a little more subtle, Comcept.

Seriously, though, I'm getting a count your chickens before they hatch vibe from the how quick the franchise is "growing" (before the first game is even out).

Inafune is a businessman, first and a creator second (if much at all these days).
From what I've been able to glean about him over the years suggests someone that's frustrated and driven.

...I'd hesitate before funding anything by him, just as I hesitated with Mighty No 9.

Scars Unseen:

Hush you, this is the gaming community post 2013, baseless negativity will be displayed at all times and optimism is punishable by death. (The above is a joke, in case that wasn't 100% clear).

OT: So. Fucking. Happy. Megaman 64/legends is actually one of my favorite MM games so I'm super psyched for a sequel. I find it interesting that from the little information available it almost seems like the main cast is both in appearance and personality a fusion of the Casket family and the Bonnes from the originals, more ragtag than the former but far less criminal than the later.

I will say that funding the anime at the same time seems a bit iffy, and like a good way to split your own funding. IMO it would have been better to fund the game now, then kickstart the anime months down the line when fan's KS funding budget has recovered

I don´t see the problem with releasing this starter now or in 2 months. Mighty No 9 is pretty much done from Inafune´s perspective and right now it´s localizing, tweaking and testing, as well as preparing distribution what is being done, you don´t need the lead designer for that.

Seems to me more like Inafune wants to keep busy than expecting Mighty No 9 to flop (quite doubtful reading the previews from E3) and nobody kickstarts his next project because of it.

It is annoying that he uses the Kickstarter venue though, supposedly he now has a publisher for Mighty No 9, so why can´t he use the publisher now that they know he has pull in the market? Or is it like Bloodstained?

Anyway, I´m not backing this one since megaman legends never really said anything to me, but happy for the fans to get some closure.

I'm really confused by all the posts about Inafune's supposed greed for putting up another kickstarter. Mighty No 9 releases in two months. Which means it's very likely to have gone gold already. So what do people want him to do? Sit on his ass and do nothing? I can only imagine be became a video game designer because that's what he loves to do. Why take issue with a designer wanting to design games? Seems silly.

Razhem:
I don´t see the problem with releasing this starter now or in 2 months. Mighty No 9 is pretty much done from Inafune´s perspective and right now it´s localizing, tweaking and testing, as well as preparing distribution what is being done, you don´t need the lead designer for that.

Seems to me more like Inafune wants to keep busy than expecting Mighty No 9 to flop (quite doubtful reading the previews from E3) and nobody kickstarts his next project because of it.

It is annoying that he uses the Kickstarter venue though, supposedly he now has a publisher for Mighty No 9, so why can´t he use the publisher now that they know he has pull in the market? Or is it like Bloodstained?

Anyway, I´m not backing this one since megaman legends never really said anything to me, but happy for the fans to get some closure.

Being a publisher and being an investor are not inherently the same thing. It may seem that way looking at the AAA gaming sphere, but even that is usually something different these days, as the publisher ends up owning the IP as well as the developer. Just because a company is willing to put in the resources to publish a game does not mean they are equally willing to fund the development for one.

Scars Unseen:

Razhem:

Being a publisher and being an investor are not inherently the same thing. It may seem that way looking at the AAA gaming sphere, but even that is usually something different these days, as the publisher ends up owning the IP as well as the developer. Just because a company is willing to put in the resources to publish a game does not mean they are equally willing to fund the development for one.

Fair enough.

Done and done. I haven't kickstarted anything in a while, but I will Kickstart a spiritual successor to Megaman Legends. Fantastic games. I still remember the sting of Capcom working on a new Megaman Legends game for a little while, having a website devoted to community feedback on it, and then canceling it like douchebags.

Kopikatsu:
I'm really confused by all the posts about Inafune's supposed greed for putting up another kickstarter. Mighty No 9 releases in two months. Which means it's very likely to have gone gold already. So what do people want him to do? Sit on his ass and do nothing? I can only imagine be became a video game designer because that's what he loves to do. Why take issue with a designer wanting to design games? Seems silly.

Because he's asking for money right before his other crowd funded game come out, it make it seems like he's cashing in before people play MN9 and get disappointed. If he just waited 3 month people could have played MN9 and then make there own mind about wether or not crowd funding one of his project is worth it.

Meiam:

Kopikatsu:

Because he's asking for money right before his other crowd funded game come out, it make it seems like he's cashing in before people play MN9 and get disappointed. If he just waited 3 month people could have played MN9 and then make there own mind about wether or not crowd funding one of his project is worth it.

So your proposal is that he pays staff for a quarter of a year to do nothing? Man, I want a job like that.

Scars Unseen:

Redryhno:

Uratoh:

Fox12:

ShakerSilver:

Redryhno:

Fox12:

WolvDragon:

And at this point, I'm concerned about fans who are ok with this type of behavior, and give these greedy fools a pass. I bet you're ok with Sony launching their own Crowdfunding site huh?

major_chaos:

Scars Unseen:

Hush you, this is the gaming community post 2013, baseless negativity will be displayed at all times and optimism is punishable by death. (The above is a joke, in case that wasn't 100% clear).

OT: So. Fucking. Happy. Megaman 64/legends is actually one of my favorite MM games so I'm super psyched for a sequel. I find it interesting that from the little information available it almost seems like the main cast is both in appearance and personality a fusion of the Casket family and the Bonnes from the originals, more ragtag than the former but far less criminal than the later.

I will say that funding the anime at the same time seems a bit iffy, and like a good way to split your own funding. IMO it would have been better to fund the game now, then kickstart the anime months down the line when fan's KS funding budget has recovered

I'm usually not so negative unlike some in the gaming community, I don't bitch and moan about the minor stuff.

What I don't condone is greed like this, and how fans will gladly give them a free pass just to get their games. Look at just what happened with Sony with their own crowdfunding site, you don't think that isn't something to bitch about?

WolvDragon:

And at this point, I'm concerned about fans who are ok with this type of behavior, and give these greedy fools a pass. I bet you're ok with Sony launching their own Crowdfunding site huh?

One thing is not the other, and you're going to have to provide me with proof that Inafune's new project is being pursued in bad faith before I give this sort of negativity any credence.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here