Sega President Admits it Betrayed Fan's Trust, Must Make Quality Games

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Sega President Admits it Betrayed Fan's Trust, Must Make Quality Games

Decrepit sonic in a chair

The president of Sega has finally learned the obvious from watching Atlus: If you make a quality game, it will sell well.

Remember Sega? Back in the 90's, with its home consoles and multiple million-dollar IPs, Sega was one of the big boys. Now, it has essentially faded to obscurity: it no longer produces consoles, it has licensed its most cherished characters to former rival Nintendo, and has produced only disappointment after disappointment. In fact, it's found substantially more success in the third party titles it has published, from the likes of Creative Assembly and Atlus. Looking back, Sega president Hajime Satomi muses that if Sega follows in Atlus's footsteps and makes good, quality games, then perhaps people would actually like them.

"As far as the Western market goes, we learned a lot from Atlus. If we can make a title with proper quality, I believe there's a good chance for it to do well even in the West for players that like to play Japanese games." Satomi told Famitsu.

"I've been talking to the employees about how we should start putting serious consideration into quality from this point on. Especially in North America and Europe, where it's always been more of a focus on schedules, I believe that if we can't maintain quality, it would be better to not release anything at all."

To put it quite bluntly: no shit! I think the industry has proven time and time again that releasing a shoddy, unfinished product doesn't exactly go over too well with your fan base.

Satomi also admits that he "betrayed the tust" of his most loyal fans when he took over the company and began throwing Sonic's face onto as many things as possible. "We did our best to build a relationship of mutual trust with older fans of Sega, but looking back, there have been some titles that have partially betrayed that trust in the past 10 years."

"Sega in the '90s was known for its brand, but after that, we've lost trust and we were left with nothing but reputation. For this reason, we'd like to win back the customers' trust and become a brand once again."

Satomi finished by teasing a special announcement from the company for this year's Tokyo Game Show, taking place in September.

Source: Forbes

It's a nice sentiment, but actions speak louder than words. come back to me once you actually make that quality game, then we'll talk

Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwww, really?
Sega, Sega, Sega. You know, I used to be a big fan. I was one of the guys with the flag with the Dreamcast logo on it and "The Sega will rise again" written under the logo. But Sonic Boom was successful in completely and utterly murdering any good will I had for them. In fact, I want them to go THQ. Then they could be bought by someone competent. In fact, I want Sony to buy them out. That'd be nice. Or Valve.

"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad" - Shigeru Miyamoto

Really Sega?... FUCKING REALLY!?... *sigh* I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, let's hope this bodes well for the future. Coincidentally, it's almost the 10th anniversary of Sonic '06 :3

They could regain my trust by making a sequel to VANQUISH for starters.

And stop making 3D Sonic games, jesus christ.

"I've been talking to the employees about how we should start putting serious consideration into quality from this point on."

I can't think of a more disgusting comment than what this sentiment encapsulates.

"Hey guys... I keep hearing about this quality thing. Should we... should we be looking into what that's about or what?"

Anyone can talk the talk, but can you walk the walk? Produce some quality games then you can earn our trust.

And whatever you do stay the FUCK away from Atlus. Just let them do their thing and the money will flow...speaking of which, uh Atlus? Persona 5 was supposed to come out sometime this year? Hello?

Is it just me or are we seeing a lot of "Yes we fucked up" lately?

As hilarious as it is to see Sega state the painfully obvious, there is other things to consider. I find it rather rich for this to be coming from speaking to Atlus considering they have become rather cocky and up their own ass lately. On the flip-side Atlus speaking to Sega should have taught them that Europe is actually a thing that exists... or we will be seeing things like "Sega drops localization in Europe."

So, first we have a Microsoft big wig say the industry would probably be better if CEOs actually played some games, and now Sega is saying that quality is important.

Did...did I miss something? Should I be running for the bunker and stashing all the cheese biscuits? Because I'm starting to get frightened.

Yeah, yeah heard it before. Maybe if Sega actually produces a decent game i'll believe what they say, otherwise talk is cheap and self flagellation seems to be very much the in thing for gaming companies right now.

Prove you're not just jumping on the Bandwagon Sega!

Can I get a new game in the Canvas Engine used for Valkyria Chronicles. Either a proper sequel to VC or something new is fine.

"Hey guys, i talked to these other guys and got a brilliant new idea. How about we try to make our games NOT SH*T? I know! Brilliant right? Sometimes i surprise myself!"

Do you remember Sonic Boom, sega? Pepperidge farm remembers.
Do you remember Ecco the Dolphin too? Well give it back, goddamn it! You cannot sit on a dolphin forever. Things become...matured, gracelessly. To think of what current gen could do with that sort of game.

"You know what we shouldn't make? Shit games" Oh MY the revelation on this one was too strong. I've never cared about Sonic, but ACTUALLY reading "we should kinda try" is just the funniest thing I've read in a while.

Here's a great idea: Don't just say it. Do it.

Sonic '06 was supposed to be a reboot of the franchise that promised to fix issues persistent in the previous games. It repeated those flaws. It even magnified the technical flaws, since you ignored and fired your testing team and pushed to release the game in time for the 15th anniversary. Its poor reception should have been a wake up call. You did address some issues in the series later, but the blow from '06 apparently wasn't enough to keep you from releasing more games over the years from that franchise and others that definitely should not have shipped in the conditions they were in.

Yes, follow Atlus and Nintendo's leads, not just the apologetic PR stunts several other companies are pulling right now. I'm still expecting Ubisoft to barely change (if at all).

Quality games are quality games? You don't say?

In other news, rain is not the sky falling on our heads, and Donald Trump is an idiot. More on these top stories with the use of your brain.

The sad part is I don't even know if I believe this. The best quality Sonic game I've seen in a while is Generations. And even that game had a complete shit final level and the Super Sonic power up was useless in the game.

No no no, you've got it all wrong. The trick is to pump out annual releases! Flood the market with shitty at worst, mediocre at best games every single year! Go for the quantity of games on the market approach, not the quality of games approach! That's what all the big-boys are doing these days!

Wow! It literally is that they decided to attempt to make quality titles. With that kind of thinking they should have no problem at all >_>

You know, not so long ago, those companies would rather die than admit they did something wrong.
Now they keep reminding us every damn second how much wrong they did and how they learned.
Does anyone actually fall for this bullshit?
"Oh noe, we know we maked much mistakes. Pls beliv we now gud!"

Hire the guys that worked on Streets of Rage Remake then we'll talk, Sega. Until then I'll continue to put my hands over my Mega Drive's ears so it doesn't have to hear what you get up to nowadays.

Good games make good amounts of money? Gee, whod'a thunk it? Apparently not Sega.

I am now pretty convinced that these kind of guys are completely out of touch with the industry that they are in, and are probably also aliens, too.

Sniper Team 4:
So, first we have a Microsoft big wig say the industry would probably be better if CEOs actually played some games, and now Sega is saying that quality is important.

Did...did I miss something? Should I be running for the bunker and stashing all the cheese biscuits? Because I'm starting to get frightened.

No, this thing happens all the time. Within a year both companies will be shitting on the player base and producing cheaply made garbage to milk their products again. Heck, Ubisoft has become so effecient in the cycle that they run through the cycle three or four times while other companies are still doing it once.

Bitter? Me? Nah, just experienced.

Stay the fuck away from Atlus. I like having my games in Europe not be delayed by 6-18 months for no fucking reason.

Perhaps it's a bad translation or something, but did he just say that they didn't care about quality until now? I'm not sure what was the purpose of this interview, but it sure as f*** didn't improve my opinion of them.

Sega, by now the only thing that can earn my forgiveness is porting Bayonetta 2 to real platforms, but we all know that ain't going to happen.

HAHAHA, "If we can make a product with proper quality..."

I... kinda hate Sega now. I didn't before this thread, I was indifferent. But what assholes? They know they're not putting out a quality product and it's only just now occurring to them that a good product may sell better than the shit they've been pumping out?

Wow. Someone needs to go back to business school. Step one on the flow chart is "Have a product or service people want to buy".

I just... can't believe this insight into their business strategy. That it's literally, "Hey, what if we made a good game?" That's ridiculous. Sega deserves to be where they are and now I have to go through life repressing the urge to find their corporate board and punching them in the balls to reduce their inbred continuance in society if this is honestly the first time they've seriously considered making product worth buying...

That's good and all... but let's see you put your money where you mouth is, Sega, and then we'll talk.

You know, it's easy to say "okay, we know we fucked up." It's quite hard to stop fucking up.

Translation, your apologies mean nothing, Sega, START FIXING YOUR STUPIDITY.

Steven Bogos:

"Sega in the '90s was known for its brand, but after that, we've lost trust and we were left with nothing but reputation

yeah, a reputation of being complete rubbish and releasing games that are mostly garbage.
Some are good though. Bayonetta was quite good.

JenSeven:

Steven Bogos:

"Sega in the '90s was known for its brand, but after that, we've lost trust and we were left with nothing but reputation

yeah, a reputation of being complete rubbish and releasing games that are mostly garbage.
Some are good though. Bayonetta was quite good.

Sega published the game. They didn't make it. As far as I know the only "development" they performed was porting work.

So their epiphany was "Good games might sell better than shit ones"

Wow, their powers of stating the bloody obvious are truly unrivalled!

This has stemmed largely from the arrogance prevalent at the top of Sega Japan so yeah I actually damn believe that this has been some giant epiphany for them where it's a big 'no fucking duh' for the rest of us. The other branches WANT to make quality games but not on the shitty time-frames and horrible decisions being pushed around from there. Sonic Boom's development team was practically encouraged to 'move on' before testing had even begun if reports are to be believed. They used to make the Japanese team pick and direct the dub english voice actors. HOW BACKASSWARDS CAN YOU- but okay, if this is a true reform of internal practice. Show. Telling isn't enough.

Work with your foreign branches instead of ruling them. (granted the majority of my information comes from sonic team/sega america/london branch, and collected online testimonies, not from those on any published products)

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here