Reddit CEO Resigns Following User Revolt

Pages PREV 1 2

XT6Wagon:
Her failures are NOT the result of sexism. Her failures are not the result of "patriarchy". Her failures are on Her.

Damn straight. Actions have consequences; and sadly, folks like Pao don't seem to want to acknowledge that.

And what's really sad is that she won't learn a thing from this. Neither will the company.

A few of my co-workers use Reddit quite a bit and they brought up a theory that I didn't consider. They think Pao was nothing more than someone for the Reddit owners[1] to place all the blame on for new polices they wanted to put into effect. Seemed like something to think about at the time.

[1] I really don't know how Reddit works, so pretty much whoever owns Reddit should be here.

RicoADF:
Yeah the person that said their disgusted in the revolt is dumb. Regardless of how legit it is (I don't visit reddit and don't know what was said) the last thing you do is attack your consumer.

RicoADF:

Calling out what someone is said and calling everyone disgusting are 2 different things.

[1] Disagreements are fine. Death threats are not, are not covered under free speech, and will continue to get offending users banned.
Ellen asked me to point out that the sweeping majority of redditors didn't do this, and many were incredibly supportive. Although the incredible power of the Internet is the amplification of voices, unfortunately sometimes those voices are hateful.

From the blog post. She, nor the person who wrote the blog post said that everyone disgusting. Just the minority people that acted like complete shiteads

The Almighty Aardvark:

From the blog post. She, nor the person who wrote the blog post said that everyone disgusting. Just the minority people that acted like complete shiteads

I read the statement below as Altman was saying that the reddit users were disgusting, however re-reading it I can see why others may not take it that way. Guess it's a case of perception and it looks like the majority doesn't take the comment the way I did. Eh it's no bother for me either way, I don't go to reddit so it's not a comment towards me in either case.

Steven Bogos:

In a blog post detailing the change, Altman scolded his users for their "sickening" actions against Pao. "It was sickening to see some of the things redditors wrote about Ellen," he wrote. "The reduction in compassion that happens when we're all behind computer screens is not good for the world."

Pax Romana:
you privileged mofos.

Stay classy, there's no need to insult us with swear words. Perhaps you need time to cool down.

mad825:

Pax Romana:
you privileged mofos.

Stay classy, there's no need to insult us with swear words. Perhaps you need time to cool down.

And perhaps you should find your humor, read the rest of his sarcasm filled post and you will find out that this "insult" was made in jest.

Anyways.. Pao looks to me like a scapegoat. The entire way how she came out of nowhere, got the CEO spot and started changing stuff for the worse... that usually doesnt happen in companies doesnt it? Arent CEOs usually put in by the owners/board members? Would be surprised if they would simply let her take over the company like some sort of dictator.

How much power did Chairman Pao really held in the end? For all it seems she was pretty much a SJW pinata for pissed off redditors to beat on while the magician behind the curtain keeps changing reddit to be more "safe spacy"

Elfgore:
A few of my co-workers use Reddit quite a bit and they brought up a theory that I didn't consider. They think Pao was nothing more than someone for the Reddit owners[1] to place all the blame on for new polices they wanted to put into effect. Seemed like something to think about at the time.

This does seem to have the stink of "fall guy" written all over it doesn't it? Closing a branch office and firing lots of people seems to benefit the stock holders more then a new CEO.

[1] I really don't know how Reddit works, so pretty much whoever owns Reddit should be here.

Karadalis:

And perhaps you should find your humor, read the rest of his sarcasm filled post and you will find out that this "insult" was made in jest.

Yes because using inflammatory words is funny. You should become a comedian.

Karadalis:
snip

I thought the dripping sarcasm of every single line was abundantly clear, but apparently not, to both recipient and mod. Oh well :/

Yes we will see if the sub reddits are reactivated but I doubt it now they are gone. I would hope the mod gets her job back but we will see what happens.

Pax Romana:

Karadalis:
snip

I thought the dripping sarcasm of every single line was abundantly clear, but apparently not, to both recipient and mod. Oh well :/

Yes we will see if the sub reddits are reactivated but I doubt it now they are gone. I would hope the mod gets her job back but we will see what happens.

Your sarcasm is like the message in the Fight Club. Totally evident, except for those who take it seriously...

Elijin:

NiPah:
So does anyone in this thread even know what those "sickening actions" were or is everyone here so cued up that you don't even need information before you go calling a group... "children, cunts, disgusting, ect ect".

Good to know that all I need to do to add validity to my argument is say my opposing group was doing something mean to another person and I have total agreement even if they admittedly know nothing about the subject at hand.

(Note I know nothing about what happened, just that a few boards were taken down in protest, but I'm not going to go around saying one side is right or wrong without fucking proper knowledge on the subject).

How is assuming we're dismissive of the complaints because we dislike the methodology, any different to what you're doing?

They could be as right as rain, I will still always be critical of tantrums. In fact, if someone is right beyond reproach, why the hell are they throwing a tantrum?

Hmm yes tell that to the gay community or blacks who protested in the 70's. Being right is not quite what it takes to get what you want.

I have no idea what this controversy is about, because I never visit reddit.

Would someone mind filling me in on what happened?

rbstewart7263:

Elijin:

NiPah:
So does anyone in this thread even know what those "sickening actions" were or is everyone here so cued up that you don't even need information before you go calling a group... "children, cunts, disgusting, ect ect".

Good to know that all I need to do to add validity to my argument is say my opposing group was doing something mean to another person and I have total agreement even if they admittedly know nothing about the subject at hand.

(Note I know nothing about what happened, just that a few boards were taken down in protest, but I'm not going to go around saying one side is right or wrong without fucking proper knowledge on the subject).

How is assuming we're dismissive of the complaints because we dislike the methodology, any different to what you're doing?

They could be as right as rain, I will still always be critical of tantrums. In fact, if someone is right beyond reproach, why the hell are they throwing a tantrum?

Hmm yes tell that to the gay community or blacks who protested in the 70's. Being right is not quite what it takes to get what you want.

True, it takes time, effort, organization, numbers, support from outside of your core support, and so on. It's a good idea to take your advice, and look at other historical examples, compare, and search for the critical elements.

This preceds the Pao's resignation but its the best article I saw in the whole situation

http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/bitwise/2015/07/reddit_amageddon_what_it_s_really_about.html 

Pao inhereted a lot of problems she did not create, but in my opinion her heavy hand was the spark that set the fire. And she did not understand what exactly she was dealing with.

The reality they needed a big gesture to calm things down.This is it.

The more and more that is revealed about this the more it seems like Ellen Pao was meant to take a fall for someone else. I found this posted in another thread on here. Of course the person doesn't actually say this until weeks after the incident happened and until Pao stepped down. https://www.reddit.com/r/announcements/comments/3cucye/an_old_team_at_reddit/csz2p3i

From the sounds of it it sounds like this piece of shit deserves to get fired as well. This guy is as corrupt as a politician.

rbstewart7263:

Elijin:

NiPah:

Annnnnnd you equated people being upset about their favourite message board's moderation choices with human rights struggles.

Im out.

Elijin:

rbstewart7263:

Elijin:

Annnnnnd you equated people being upset about their favourite message board's moderation choices with human rights struggles.

Im out.

It doesn't appear to be the case that he equated those things. Rather, what he clearly equated was that "Being right is not quite what it takes to get what you want."

Did you miss that?

Ricardo Lima:
This preceds the Pao's resignation but its the best article I saw in the whole situation

http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/bitwise/2015/07/reddit_amageddon_what_it_s_really_about.html 

Pao inhereted a lot of problems she did not create, but in my opinion her heavy hand was the spark that set the fire. And she did not understand what exactly she was dealing with.

The reality they needed a big gesture to calm things down.This is it.

The problem is that they don't seem to have learned to understand the rest of what you said, so when they go back to heavy handed ways they'll start the fire again. She was a great lightning rod, given her lawsuit publicity, but it's only a temporary solution for Reddit. Within a year, something will blow up again, and each time it does it will be harder not to blame Reddit as a unit.

NiPah:

Elfgore:

This does seem to have the stink of "fall guy" written all over it doesn't it? Closing a branch office and firing lots of people seems to benefit the stock holders more then a new CEO.

Just a couple of things:

Reddit isn't a publicly traded company, the people who "own" it are all investors, so they are putting their own money into this and expecting (someday) to get a return on that investment through either going public or through selling Reddit to someone else. Cutting costs isn't really a concern at this point since the company isn't profitable.

As for the "scapegoat" theory - I don't think it's reasonable to believe that this was anyone's intention at the start of this fiasco and there's no doubt in my mind as a long term reddit user that Pao did herself no favors in how she interacted with the community. To put it bluntly - she demonstrated a profound lack of knowledge about not only reddit as a platform (literally showing hundreds of thousands of redditors that she didn't know how to use it) but she also showed zero consideration for the concerns of the community or it's culture.

Very few places that have reported on this seem to understand that there is a huge amount of distrust on behalf of the average reddit user and the moderators (free staff that run the subreddits) and the actual paid reddit employees. This is why when they fired Victoria everyone got upset - because it demonstrated (yet again) that reddit showed absolutely no concern for the mods and forums that relied up Victoria's efforts as well as serving as yet another example of how the company doesn't communicate massive changes to the people who, in all fairness, actually run reddit.

You see, the administrators that reddit employs merely enforce "site wide" rules (and they do it poorly and unevenly, but that's another subject). The actual day to day content and moderation is provided by users - for free. When all the default subreddits went dark that day, it really drove home the point to reddit as a company that technically they own "nothing" but the platform, which is useless if people don't want to use it. Basically if you are going to treat your unpaid labor as serfs, don't be surprised if they revolt when you continue to abuse them.

Jake Martinez:

NiPah:

Just a couple of things:

Reddit isn't a publicly traded company, the people who "own" it are all investors, so they are putting their own money into this and expecting (someday) to get a return on that investment through either going public or through selling Reddit to someone else. Cutting costs isn't really a concern at this point since the company isn't profitable.

As for the "scapegoat" theory - I don't think it's reasonable to believe that this was anyone's intention at the start of this fiasco and there's no doubt in my mind as a long term reddit user that Pao did herself no favors in how she interacted with the community. To put it bluntly - she demonstrated a profound lack of knowledge about not only reddit as a platform (literally showing hundreds of thousands of redditors that she didn't know how to use it) but she also showed zero consideration for the concerns of the community or it's culture.

Very few places that have reported on this seem to understand that there is a huge amount of distrust on behalf of the average reddit user and the moderators (free staff that run the subreddits) and the actual paid reddit employees. This is why when they fired Victoria everyone got upset - because it demonstrated (yet again) that reddit showed absolutely no concern for the mods and forums that relied up Victoria's efforts as well as serving as yet another example of how the company doesn't communicate massive changes to the people who, in all fairness, actually run reddit.

You see, the administrators that reddit employs merely enforce "site wide" rules (and they do it poorly and unevenly, but that's another subject). The actual day to day content and moderation is provided by users - for free. When all the default subreddits went dark that day, it really drove home the point to reddit as a company that technically they own "nothing" but the platform, which is useless if people don't want to use it. Basically if you are going to treat your unpaid labor as serfs, don't be surprised if they revolt when you continue to abuse them.

Ah thanks for the the information, I'd say they still might want to cut costs to make it more sell-able (in their opinion) to other companies, but this whole fiasco does scream a lack of understanding on what makes reddit tick.

mad825:

Karadalis:

Yes because using inflammatory words is funny. You should become a comedian.

It is. Thats why so many famous comedians use them.

Besides, words themselves are not inflammatory, its the context you use them in. Sadly Escapists Terms of Service does not seem to take context into account.

"Pao's resignation was not a result of the recent controversy, and rather a "mutual decision over a number of weeks"

Yeah Right..... She doesn't even lie good.

The Reddit community had problems with Pao since she started. I think the seperation in ideology came from that one quote from ages ago 'It's not our site's goal to be a completely free-speech platform'(Source: Business insider) I don't think the sentiment was meant to come across as totalitarian, but Reddit's community have considered themselves a central player in the constant battle for free speech with them making headlines during the SOPA debate and so on. I think she could have chosen her words better and probably saved herself a lot of ire. But on top of that the reddit moderators take their position seriously, and while I don't blame her for her decision to close some more aggressive sub-reddits, again as an executive, she is setting precedent on what is essentially a rather libertarian minded community in regards to internet policing.

But I do think there is a sect of people that want to make this about her being a woman, and the cis-white-neck-bearded-patriarchs that populate the internet.

Ricardo Lima:

This was informative, thanks. People (on both sides) trying to spin this as just another war between the social justice camp and the Internet-as-a-mouthpiece-for-assholery crowd when there's clearly more going on aren't doing this matter any favors.

Snowfox_:
All of you people slinging insults are absolutely clueless, do you have ANY idea how bad pao messed up the site and what mistakes she made? She went back on so many of reddit's policies, had no communication with moderators, shut off the community so that she could sit in her little throne of power, and then fired several absolutely vital employees without giving reason.

Thisssssss

While I'm not quite all the way on Rooster Teeth's side in believing reddit might be screwed beyond all repair, I do think that getting rid of an EXTREMELY unpopular employee is the right way to go in bringing back who they've already lost.

Well now, this could be interesting: https://np.reddit.com/r/announcements/comments/3dautm/content_policy_update_ama_thursday_july_16th_1pm/ct3n7hc?context=3

"But... the most delicious part of this is that on at least two separate occasions, the board pressed /u/ekjp to outright ban ALL the hate subreddits in a sweeping purge. She resisted, knowing the community, claiming it would be a shitshow. Ellen isn't some "evil, manipulative, out-of-touch incompetent she-devil" as was often depicted. She was approved by the board and recommended by me because when I left, she was the only technology executive anywhere who had the chops and experience to manage a startup of this size, AND who understood what reddit was all about. As we can see from her post-resignation activity, she knows perfectly well how to fit in with the reddit community and is a normal, funny person - just like in real life - she simply didn't sit on reddit all day because she was busy with her day job."

"Well, now she's gone (you did it reddit!), and /u/spez has the moral authority as a co-founder to move ahead with the purge. We tried to let you govern yourselves and you failed, so now The Man is going to set some Rules. Admittedly, I can't say I'm terribly upset."

altnameJag:
Well now, this could be interesting: https://np.reddit.com/r/announcements/comments/3dautm/content_policy_update_ama_thursday_july_16th_1pm/ct3n7hc?context=3

"But... the most delicious part of this is that on at least two separate occasions, the board pressed /u/ekjp to outright ban ALL the hate subreddits in a sweeping purge. She resisted, knowing the community, claiming it would be a shitshow. Ellen isn't some "evil, manipulative, out-of-touch incompetent she-devil" as was often depicted. She was approved by the board and recommended by me because when I left, she was the only technology executive anywhere who had the chops and experience to manage a startup of this size, AND who understood what reddit was all about. As we can see from her post-resignation activity, she knows perfectly well how to fit in with the reddit community and is a normal, funny person - just like in real life - she simply didn't sit on reddit all day because she was busy with her day job."

"Well, now she's gone (you did it reddit!), and /u/spez has the moral authority as a co-founder to move ahead with the purge. We tried to let you govern yourselves and you failed, so now The Man is going to set some Rules. Admittedly, I can't say I'm terribly upset."

Seeing that post, and reading the comments in here: I can't help but feel a little bit giddy inside. The absolutist free speech meatheads brought this upon themselves, and now they potentially put power in the hands of one who would basically be more then willing to censor, all because they believe Pao was the one who was censoring them. Pao is basically the Severus Snape of Reddit. http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-intersect/wp/2015/07/15/everything-you-think-you-know-about-reddit-is-wrong/?tid=sm_fb

Irony, such delicious irony.

Can we just shut reddit down? Any website that allows this bullshit should not be allowed to exist.

Objectable:
Can we just shut reddit down? Any website that allows this bullshit should not be allowed to exist.
...snip...

You realize that you're posting a meme. Inside that list is /r/feminism - the default Feminism subreddit and a suicide prevention subreddit. Definitely "bullshit" that should not be allowed to exist, eh??

I think it's also worth putting this entire bullshit drama in perspective.

There are 35 million registered reddit user accounts. The sub that is in that photo has 2,000 subscribers and it gets a new post like maybe once every 3-6 days which is usually somewhere between "hurrrrr derp derp" and "where can i find porn?"

Honestly, banning subs like this is actually harmful to reddit. Places like that sub work as "containment" zones for idiots and edgelords. It gives them a tiny little place where they can act out that is far away from where everyone else is hanging out.

Here's the thing that I think most people fail to understand. In real society we don't ban speech we find offensive because we know that's not an effective way of dealing with the situation. Instead what we do is we marginalize it. We push people like the KKK and NAMBLA out of the public square instead of silencing them because we know it's a more effective way to deal with it.

If you ban all of these stupid subs, you're not going to make these people go away or make them stop being shitty. All you're really doing is encouraging them to act out by going to the subs that women frequent and having them act out there.

Don't you think if you could actually change people, like really force them to stop having shitty thoughts, by just telling them to shut up, that we wouldn't have done this eons ago? It just doesn't work that way.

disgruntledgamer:
"Pao's resignation was not a result of the recent controversy, and rather a "mutual decision over a number of weeks"

Yeah Right..... She doesn't even lie good.

They did not quite lie in as much told a very narrow side of it, the ban of certain "harrasing" subreddits and the problems that the service has accumulleted over years was a build up that Pao wasnt exacly charismatic to the community, and was heavy handed and distant sure as hell did not help.

She is like a coach that they brougth to truy to improve and since that did not happen they replaced it when the team was losing the season.That it was losing seasons before that is another thing.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here