Gearbox Wants To Collaborate On Next Duke Nukem Game

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Gearbox Wants To Collaborate On Next Duke Nukem Game

Duke Nukem Forever Knuckle Crack

Gearbox boss Randy Pitchford wants to follow up Duke Nukem Forever, but would only do so alongside another developer.

In the brief history of video games, few sequels dropped the ball as spectacularly as Duke Nukem Forever. This game went through 15 years of development, multiple restarts, and a Gearbox acquisition, only to be savaged by critics for a host of problems. It's no surprise that we haven't seen a true Duke Nukem game since, but Gearbox's Randy Pitchford says he'd like that to change. There's just one caveat - Gearbox would need to produce it in collaboration with another developer.

"I did not acquire the franchise merely so people could experience Duke Nukem Forever," Pitchford explained at the Develop 2015 conference today. "That was, sort of, the toll to pay to give Duke Nukem a chance at a future. So yes. In fact, we've done some concept development. The challenge is that Gearbox is very busy. A faster way would be if the correct developer would become interested and we'd work with them."

Gearbox technically never developed the original Duke Nukem Forever, it just polished and tested 3D Realms' efforts up to that point. Right now the company is focusing on projects like Battleborn instead of the Duke Nukem license. The only problem is Gearbox's last collaboration - which ended with the partner developer going bankrupt - might cause other teams to hesitate before supporting a risky project.

That said, Duke Nukem 3D's gameplay has held up remarkably well over the years. It's entirely possible that a talented developer could put a fresh spin on Duke that makes his sequels bearable once more. Is there a particular developer you'd want to make a Duke Nukem sequel, or do you think his time has truly passed us by?

Source: Eurogamer

Personally, I think the duke nukem franchise is fine for continuation. The issue is the kind of game they are making and how well they make it. That and the humor tends to lend itself more towards a smaller audience than most titles.

Ofcourse they would... so incase anything goes wrong they can blame the other company and weasal themselves out of any responsibility again.

Gearbox... anyone wanting to work together with you would be suicidal.

And dont think any big name will give you any money anymore after the blunder that was Aliens CM and how you treated that whole affair.

I think Duke Nukem is one series that just needs to be left to die and be buried deep down. Because everything that made Duke Nukem fun has since been done better and often, and everything that made him funny is just outdated and is just kinda...lame...

Why? So they could shirk responsibility and play the victim if nobody likes it but everyone pre-ordered it?

No thanks buster.

Since Gearbox owns the franchise instead of making a Duke Nukem game why not instead just add him as a playable character if they do another Borderlands game? I feel that is a win on both fronts.

Bat Vader:
Since Gearbox owns the franchise instead of making a Duke Nukem game why not instead just add him as a playable character if they do another Borderlands game? I feel that is a win on both fronts.

Yes! Put Duke in Battleborn as a special unique character, too.

Gearbox can keep Duke alive by just relegating him to "Guest Character" status in their other projects for a while. When the memory of Forever fades, they can bring him back in his own game.

Either that, or they could just sell the IP off to the highest bidder. I'd honestly rather that be done. Maybe give him over to someone that actually cares about the old Duke Nukem games.

Translation:
We need another company we can push all the blame on once the idiots that buy the game realize that it's shit.

Give it to Platinum! Apologies, instinct kicked in there.

Anyway, after the various statements he's made the past few days, I think I'll pass on anything Pitchford is involved in.

Dead Metal:
Translation:
We need another company we can push all the blame on once the idiots that buy the game realize that it's shit.

Seems to be their strategy lately... But honestly, do we WANT another Duke Nukem game?

Sigmund Av Volsung:
Why? So they could shirk responsibility and play the victim if nobody likes it but everyone pre-ordered it?

No thanks buster.

I like the idea of Gearbox collaborating with death on fucking off and dying. How people are still falling for Gearboxes bullshit is beyond me. They've literally only made borderlands one and two and even then, they only "kind of" made them. I think you could lean on Gearboxes headquarters and it'd like fall over like an empty cardboard cutout with just Randy pitchford sitting with a monkey typing up a new borderlands game story, just shmeering feces over the ending.

Gee, I fucking wonder what would happen if someone actually gave a shit about Duke.

So they're looking for a scapegoat. They're hedging their plausible deniability bet for when-not if-the game completely tanks.

Sell the IP for £3.50 and a sausage to People Can Fly, or in a worst case scenario, Ubisoft Montreal.

I'm sorry, I might have hit my head.

One of the still most maligned heads of a distrusted company came out and suggested making a sequel for a series that had its last game come out dead in the water, almost eliminating any relevance the series still had... by suggesting a system that not only ruined one of the biggest AAA games of all times (Batman Arkham Knight for PC), but ruined Gearbox's own Aliens: Colonial Marines.

Did I sum that up right? Is that what I just read?

VoidWanderer:

Dead Metal:
Translation:

Seems to be their strategy lately... But honestly, do we WANT another Duke Nukem game?

If it's done right i would buy it. Of course i dont see Gearbox being able to do that.

After the Colonial Marines fiasco people are really starting to wonder about Gearbox and Pitchford. If they'll only do it as a collaboration then I seriously wonder about their confidence in the IP.

How 'bought NO. The Jimquisition (warning: Jim once again waves a NSFW object around. A lot.) reminded me that Pitchford still denies any foul play from Gearbox on both DNF and Aliens Colonial Marines. Farming Duke out to another dev just raises the chances of the game being another buggy mess.

If they want to make another game in the franchise, Gearbox should have an internal team work on it (and also GB should not lie about the game's visuals and enemy AI). If they don't have enough people to do that and aren't willing to hire enough, the franchise either needs to sit for a while, or should be sold.

I can't believe Pitchford had the balls to publicly say that. Who the fuck would want to work with Gearbox?

Aka we need someone else to shift the blame to when it inevitably looks, sounds and plays nothing like its promo material because of a rushed lazy development cycle that results in it being a broken, tedious, glitchy mess.

Personally I think a Duke game could work, but rather than an FPS, they should make an open world sandbox game with the same kind of over the top sensibilities as Saints Row.

I mean, really, Duke was always meant to be over the top, so putting him in an environment that actually allows for massive stupidity seems like the natural progression. In a way, it even nicely mimics the evolution of popular gaming - going from side scroller, to FPS, to open world.

That being said, I wouldn't touch anything Gearbox or Pitchford related if my life depended on it. It'd probably be better if Gearbox just sold the IP to someone who wanted to do something cool with it.

I still like Duke, and would still be interested in the franchise. I just have no interest in supporting Gearbox. After all the crap they pulled with Aliens: Colonial Marines I have zero faith in that lying sack of shit Randy Pitchford.

The only way this would work is if they just reboot the whole thing. Honestly, I think the biggest obstacle to this would be Duke Nukem himself since he's only a cardboard caricature with no depth. That worked in a almost none existent story 90's games had but it just falls flat if you put him into anything with a concrete narrative. So I propose they keep his personality but make him self aware of how much of a douche he is. If they can hint at something much deeper beyond his outer facade it could actually produce an interesting story. Make the man interesting and likable beyond the one liners for a change.

Jake Martinez:
Personally I think a Duke game could work, but rather than an FPS, they should make an open world sandbox game with the same kind of over the top sensibilities as Saints Row.

Well I get your point, what your suggesting is essentially SR4 without the character customization.

LordLundar:

Jake Martinez:

Well I get your point, what your suggesting is essentially SR4 without the character customization.

Hey, don't you think that's a pretty unimaginative way of looking at it? Why not instead think about how you could capture the spirit of that crazy open-ended game play in Saints Row and combine it with Duke's own brand of over the top cliched "action guy" stuff? I think there's a lot of already existing parallels, but certainly someone could come up with a unique spin on it.

Maybe pitch it to gearbox :P

Blazing Hero:
The only way this would work is if they just reboot the whole thing. Honestly, I think the biggest obstacle to this would be Duke Nukem himself since he's only a cardboard caricature with no depth. That worked in a almost none existent story 90's games had but it just falls flat if you put him into anything with a concrete narrative. So I propose they keep his personality but make him self aware of how much of a douche he is. If they can hint at something much deeper beyond his outer facade it could actually produce an interesting story. Make the man interesting and likable beyond the one liners for a change.

Duke's utter lack of self-awareness is part of what makes him funny. It's like David Brent from the UK version of the office. David is a complete narcissist and self-promoter who trucks in massive delusions about his own abilities and leadership and it's funny because it's played straight off the other cast members.

If anything, all Duke needs is a supporting cast to riff off of and it's golden.

First off: I concur with the booing and hissing at Pitchford for his recent behavior and weaseling around the A:CM issues. "But I'm totally the real victim here, guise!" Bah, cry me a river you hack of a failed stage magician.

With that out of the way: If someone wants to make another Duke Nukem, they should to go to Yahtzee for the script again and stick to it this time. I very much agree with his assessment that Duke would work best as an ironic character.

Haha oh god no... especially not Randy "I am a massive liar" Pitchford, and Gearbox "We take credit for others' work and pawn of responsibility to other developers" Studios.

They don't deserve to have Duke even in a post Duke Nukem Forever world he is still of higher calibre than the entire company.

... I look forward to seeing it in 2030... and not buying it.

American Tanker:

Bat Vader:

Gearbox can keep Duke alive by just relegating him to "Guest Character" status in their other projects for a while. When the memory of Forever fades, they can bring him back in his own game.

Either that, or they could just sell the IP off to the highest bidder. I'd honestly rather that be done. Maybe give him over to someone that actually cares about the old Duke Nukem games.

Plus with how crazy Borderlands is Duke wouldn't be that out of place.

Mr Pitchford, your Gearbox endeavours fucked up Duke Nukem Forver and Aliens Colonial Marines, why don't you just go home, instead.
At least you admit Gearbox cannot handle it, that's a start.

I'd love another Duke game but not from your kind.

Three things:

1. People Can Fly should do it as they already did the spiritual sequel to Duke: Bulletstorm
2. I like the idea as a character cameo or playable in something else like Borderlands 3. There were already aliens and shit in Duke. Why not merge him into the Borderlands universe.
3. If they actually took time to develop it and use the old school mentality then it may work

I think Randy only wants to collaborate, so he has someone to dump the blame on when the game goes south.

im not touching any games with the gearbox logo strapped on it. the last duke was a kick in the balls and i highly doubt that even with a better team at his hand, that the next title will be any better. never played alien CM but since i have lost interest with titles with gearbox written on them, im glad i saved me self a lot of money and time.

Bat Vader:

American Tanker:

Bat Vader:

Plus with how crazy Borderlands is Duke wouldn't be that out of place.

Agreed. When I heard Gearbox had scooped Duke, I figured the sociopathic action of Borderlands would be perfect. How wrong I was. Limited weapon inventory? Too many puzzle sections? Urgh...

My friend also suggested that Duke be DLC character for Borderlands, which would be great.

I also agree that a sandbox style would be fun.

"Duke gets pulled out of suspended animation as fat, old, saggy, and out-of-shape action-movie cliche, in a post-alien-conquered hell that used to be Earth. You get your ass kicked by the low-level alien grunts. So, gather your allies, resources, guns, and work that gut off, to grind through xxx territories to gain turf, and win back Earth, neighbourhood by bloody neighbourhood, making it safe for strippers, beer, and manly cigars!" (I had a lot of fun in Saint's Row 2, working through the story, and taking back the city neighbourhood by neighbourhood.)

You start off pretty lowly, so you've got to conserve your resources, and fight smart, and use allies, who can provide some fun banter and humour, as Duke realizes he ain't all that anymore! A bit of a character shock, and personal crisis, somewhat mimicking the history of the franchise. Duke regains his mojo, now tempered with some humility and wisdom of having been less-than-awesome, and realizing he can't do it alone.

For additional iconoclastic fun, model the aliens mindset on religious fundamentalist wackjobs, as if the Westboro Baptist Church formed an invasion fleet. They are so disgusted by the human form they force the humans to go around wearing full body cylinders, which only allow you to shuffle around with an eyeslit. Liberating a neighbourhood allows the population to wear normal clothes, or... LESS... Hubba hubba!

EDIT: Hmmm, about the sexual objectification in the franchise.... I had an interesting thought. On initial setup for a save slot, allow the player to decide Duke's sexual preferences, male, female or both, or neither. It would affect his dialogue at various points. Or, allow the player to decide on the spot through dialogue choices to whom and how Duke demonstrates his appreciation of the human form.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here