Worried About Hackers? Here's Some Protection for 70% Off

Worried About Hackers? Here's Some Protection for 70% Off

Disclosure: Escapist Deals is an affiliate program where we receive compensation for products and services purchased through the program.

071415_EscapistDeals_3x3

Save 70% on a lifetime of hacker protection from VPN Unlimited.

Never worry about whether you're browsing the Internet securely again, no matter where you are in the world-we're offering 70% off a lifetime subscription to VPN Unlimited at The Escapist Deals.

VPN Unlimited protects you and lets you browse without restrictions on up to five devices simultaneously, including iOS, Android, Linux, Mac, and more. Log in from anywhere in the world-VPN Unlimited has servers all over the world, making it easy to access blocked sites and keep your online activity private wherever you are. And with an unlimited high-speed connection and unlimited bandwidth, you'll never have to worry about data usage or lags.

Get a lifetime subscription to VPN Unlimited today for $39.

This sounds really interesting and almost too good to be true. So what's the catch?

Magmarock:
So what's the catch?

A false sense of security.

Also, Google will hate you and temporarily lock your account until you resolve the matter.

I guess my main question here is, "Why?" What benefit does this actually offer? Most hacking risky endeavors wouldn't be circumvented by this so what is the reason to get this?

Is it purely identity protection (like your IP address and browsing history)? Like "Hide your ass" software?

Lightknight:
I guess my main question here is, "Why?" What benefit does this actually offer? Most hacking risky endeavors wouldn't be circumvented by this so what is the reason to get this?

Is it purely identity protection (like your IP address and browsing history)? Like "Hide your ass" software?

It could also be used to bypass any regional access restrictions e.g. use American Netflix from Australia (much more content available) or access Google services from China. These sorts of things have plenty of legitimate uses.

However I too am dubious. Unlimited access for a one time payment does seem to good to be true. Though being in Australia where I often don't have direct access to some online content because of licencing restrictions it certainly has my attention. Anybody have more information?

mad825:

Magmarock:
So what's the catch?

A false sense of security.

Also, Google will hate you and temporarily lock your account until you resolve the matter.

How would google know you're using a VPN doesn't that defeat the purpose.

Magmarock:

If you log into Google services through a VPN they would see the IP address you're being routed through and think you were in a different country. Google will then likely assume your account has been hijacked and chuck a hissy fit. I believe Steam may have the same issue if your computer isn't logged in with Steam Guard.

edit: Downloaded the free trial and while it seems perfectly fine the software is pretty bare bones. It's either on or off and you can pick a server. Ideally I'd like something where I can set the VPN to work with specific services and use whichever country for each. Something like Hola but without all the shady connection sharing stuff.

xXSnowyXx:

If you log into Google services through a VPN they would see the IP address you're being routed through and think you were in a different country. Google will then likely assume your account has been hijacked and chuck a hissy fit. I believe Steam may have the same issue if your computer isn't logged in with Steam Guard.

if you have two-factor security up its not a big problem. i had no problem logging into my mail from another country after i confirmed that its really me and told google to remmeber that IP.

I havent tried logging into steam from there so not sure how bad it is, but it did threw a hissy fit when i logged in from my new computer last year.

xXSnowyXx:

Magmarock:

edit: Downloaded the free trial and while it seems perfectly fine the software is pretty bare bones. It's either on or off and you can pick a server. Ideally I'd like something where I can set the VPN to work with specific services and use whichever country for each. Something like Hola but without all the shady connection sharing stuff.

Ah yeah not a good idea to log into your Google account via VPN. Better use a different account just for the VPN or something.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here