Scientists Create Bacon-Flavored Seaweed - Who Wants a Bite?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Scientists Create Bacon-Flavored Seaweed - Who Wants a Bite?

Researchers at Oregon State University have patented a strain of seaweed that comes packed with vital minerals and nutrients - and tastes just like bacon.

It is not everyday that the words "bacon," "seaweed," and "healthy living" show up in the same scientific announcement, but researchers at Oregon State University's Hatfield Marine Science Center are determined to break the mold. They have created a new strain of dulse - a red marine algae - that comes packed with vitamins and tastes just like bacon.

Chris Langdon, a professor in the Department of Fisheries and Wildlife at OSU, led the project. Sayi Langdon, "When you fry it, which I have done, it tastes like bacon, not seaweed. And it's a pretty strong bacon flavor."

More recent biology news from The Escapist

"The original goal was to create a super-food for abalone, because high-quality abalone is treasured, especially in Asia," Langdon added. Abalone is a sea snail prized as a delicacy in many cultures. The project was extremely successful, and this got the team thinking - can we do the same for humans?

Dulse grows naturally along the Pacific and Atlantic coasts. It is harvested, dried and powdered, and sells for up to $90 per pound as a cooking ingredient or nutritional supplement. "In Europe, they add the powder to smoothies, or add flakes onto food," Langdon said. "There hasn't been a lot of interest in using it in a fresh form." Until now, that is.

Another mad science food project: Doritos-flavored Mountain Dew.

The project has sparked interest in Oregon, receiving a grant from the Oregon Department of Agriculture. Business entrepreneurs and chefs are taking the idea and running with it, developing products featuring the stuff - which resembles translucent, red lettuce (see above) - and creating speciality dishes.

There are other hopes for the new crop, beyond strange new dishes. The meat industry is an objectively wasteful one, wreaking environmental havoc on a large scale. A breed of nutrient-rich, efficiently-grown algae that can simulate a cherished meat flavor could, though it may seem unappetizing, have a positive impact on the planet's health.

Bacon seems to have become the culinary equivalent of zombies in video games - it's the punchline to every joke; it's the signature ingredient in every dish. That being said, I'd happily try a bite of bacon algae! Any adventurous eaters among The Escapist's community want to try it with me?

Source: OSU

Sounds good to me, there's quite a few rice rolls that would become palatable to me if the seaweed didn't taste like seaweed.

Brilliant. I dont care what I put in my mouth as long as it tastes good.

I don't think this will go over too well
typicly people who eat seaweed on a regular basis are also anit-GMO.
Even if this is non-gmo. It will still likely be seen as a franken food.

If it's healthy AND bacon-flavored, I'm all for it.

mantistoboggan:
If it's healthy AND bacon-flavored, I'm all for it.

Damn straight! Where can I buy an aquarium and get a set-up to start growing this stuff? I'll eat it daily!

I don't know why seaweed isn't investigated as a more renewable food resource. Research on that started back in the 70's and nothing really came of it besides a few way overpriced nutritional supplements.

I'm up for seaweed anyway and bacon flavoured is an extra plus. Plus I'm totally in favour of genetically modified foodstuffs (disclaimer: I'm a biological scientist).

So yeah, sounds great. I'd eat it and I'm sure plenty of other people would too.

Captcha: "Don't count on it"

>_>

If this became widely available on the cheap I'd have it for every meal. Slap it between two slices of toast and be done with it.

of course i'd try it. and living in oregon, maybe i'll have the opportunity.

Yum. What's not to love about this? Imagine making a dashi with it!

Sounds amazing, but it's incredibly expensive.

Maybe I'll buy my vegetarian friend some so that he can experience the delights of bacon.

Sounds good to me! I don't mind eating seaweed anyway, I already eat nori and kombu (nori tastes much better than kombu, in my opinion) and a bacon flavoured seaweed sounds fantastic.

tzimize:
Brilliant. I dont care what I put in my mouth as long as it tastes good.

An attitude like that is going to make you MANY friends. ;)

Dynast Brass:
Yum. What's not to love about this? Imagine making a dashi with it!

That would probably be too strong a flavour for dashi.

The real miracle here is that Islamic annd Jewish people can now enjoy the delicious taste of bacon without the fear of eternal damnation!

Thank God/Alah for science!

This is very good. something that tastes good and is healthy. maybe we can finally start getting rid of the problem that "if you want to eat healthy you have to condemn yourself to a life of shit tastes".

direkiller:

Anti-GMO people are pretty much an insignificant minority, though.

This is good news for those who don't eat meat. It's still not meat, but it tastes like the joyous, JOYOUS bacon.

One question: Is this kosher? I'm not Jewish, but I figure they'd wanna know.

This will bring a new meaning to my egg-salad sandwiches... Yum...

Other than that, if only the price were cheaper...

Its not real bacon. Its NOT real bacon. ITS NOT REAL BACON!!!!!! ITS NOT REAL BAAAAAACCCCCCCCCCCOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNN!!!!

Sorry sorry... I'm a baconist and believe that unless its actual bacon (with minor exceptions like chips) it shouldn't taste like bacon. Bacon is reserved solely for those who eat pork, who love the taste of artery hardening goodness.
Sorry vegans/vegetarians, if you don't like meat you shouldn't eat products that resemble or taste like it, its hypocritical.
Signed,
Imperatorex Caprae, Baconist and self-admitted meatasaurus.

They did it! They made healthy not-meat taste like meat! Thank the gods for legitimate, fact-based science!

Seriously, if I can have the taste of bacon and the health benefits of seaweed in one package, that's great news in my book.

So when are we gonna get bacon that tastes like seaweed?

Also I want more flavors for seaweed: cheese, tomato, paprika, beef... keep them coming!

Everyone's forgetting that, taste aside, it's still going to be either limp and slimy (fresh) or waaaay too crispy and dry (dried).

That said, I enjoy seaweed, so I'd definitely try some.

the article said they fried the seaweed and it tasted crisp and bacon-like so there is that.
it also looks like thinly sliced ham or parma ham sort of (in the pic)

im also happy to see something more healty, tasting better. im partial to the nori myself (home-made sushi fanatic) but its often hard to add it to things. and seaweed can be grown in the largest foodstore we have, the oceans (even if its just on the edges of the coastlines, its going to be much more room i think than all the currently fertile areas of land. especialy as the current quantity over quality farming style that took over after ww2 has depleated a lot of the lands natural goodness.)

its vegi and vegan so everyone can get the hell off our backs for noshing it too.
tho to be honest..im still waiting for the Slig to be created.....tho pigs still do a great waste disposal service allready (when they are allowed....slops good if you just seperate out the meat from the rest imho, we need to go back to making quality slop for the pigs from schools and restaurants so we can stop wasting quality soya on them and start wasting the soya on foodstuffs)a Slig is better lol

I don't know what to make of this.

For me in order for it to taste like real bacon it would also have visible pork fat attached to it. But if it has 0 trans fats & 0 saturated fats I'd be willing to try seaweed even if it wasn't bacon flavored.

A little off-topic but veggie burgers don't taste like actual burgers. But that doesn't matter much for me as I prefer chicken instead of burgers any day.

Taste delicious, looks like entrails.

So far in my experience nothing that has been advertised to taste like something else has ever worked. So I won't be trying this any time soon.

Uhm ... big whoop. Science has been adding bacon flavour to stuff for decades already. Sort of irrelevant. We long reached the point where food chemists can make anything taste like anything else. Little. 80% of all blueberries in foods are not blueberries. Same for apple, pumpkin spice, etc. It's just chemicals that they douse one whatever.

Strazdas:
This is very good. something that tastes good and is healthy. maybe we can finally start getting rid of the problem that "if you want to eat healthy you have to condemn yourself to a life of shit tastes".

direkiller:

there is enough of them to have GMO's banned across parts of Europe, and a stable market of non-gmo labeled food where it is not.

And that day, billions unknowingly awoke to a reality that was ever so slightly closer to the world of BioShock in more ways than one. And it was delicious.

PatrickJS:
Bacon seems to have become the culinary equivalent of zombies in video games - it's the punchline to every joke; it's the signature ingredient in every dish.

And it's gotten to a point where even commercials for things that actually have bacon in them are making fun of it. There was that one for the bacon-stuffed-crust pizza where the guy said "I know you love bacon, because you're the Internet", and just the other day I saw a couple Taco Bell ones that started out as fake ads for products made to look like they're made of bacon (something I see plenty of on This Is Why I'm Broke).

MonsterCrit:
Uhm ... big whoop. Science has been adding bacon flavour to stuff for decades already. Sort of irrelevant. We long reached the point where food chemists can make anything taste like anything else. Little. 80% of all blueberries in foods are not blueberries. Same for apple, pumpkin spice, etc. It's just chemicals that they douse one whatever.

I think the difference this time is that there's no artificial flavor involved; it literally grows already tasting like bacon. That's a pretty big step forward in... genetic engineering, I guess? I mean, it's one thing to make one kind of meat taste like another, or make an animal that's made out of another animal's meat (mmm... beefpigs), but this is a freaking plant. The article's not clear whether they did this on purpose or not, but either way it's impressive.

Imperioratorex Caprae:
Its not real bacon. Its NOT real bacon. ITS NOT REAL BACON!!!!!! ITS NOT REAL BAAAAAACCCCCCCCCCCOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNN!!!!

Sorry sorry... I'm a baconist and believe that unless its actual bacon (with minor exceptions like chips) it shouldn't taste like bacon. Bacon is reserved solely for those who eat pork, who love the taste of artery hardening goodness.
Sorry vegans/vegetarians, if you don't like meat you shouldn't eat products that resemble or taste like it, its hypocritical.
Signed,
Imperatorex Caprae, Baconist and self-admitted meatasaurus.

How exactly is a vegetarian eating something similar in taste to meat hypocritical? There is no conflict unless they are vegetarian because they do not think anyone should like the taste of meat.

lacktheknack:
Everyone's forgetting that, taste aside, it's still going to be either limp and slimy (fresh) or waaaay too crispy and dry (dried).

That said, I enjoy seaweed, so I'd definitely try some.

Might work for Bacon Bits in that case.

that sounds disgusting and revolting how dare you make me think about eating seaweed

So, they're basically soggy streaks of seaweed that taste like meat? ...That's, nice.

Hey, if it tastes good enough, I'm all for it. Speaking as another meat-lover.

HOWEVER, I don't think it's going to taste good enough so... Yeah.

i fundamentally disagree with vegetarianism. and this whole meat flavoured stuff is just plain wrong in my book, you want bacon man up and murder a pig. its good for the perspective.

and there is no way its going to taste right.

direkiller:

Strazdas:

direkiller:

there is enough of them to have GMO's banned across parts of Europe, and a stable market of non-gmo labeled food where it is not.

Sorry for late response, apparently some mod thought i was rude (appeal still pending).

Europe didnt ban GMO food, it only banned some types of modifications that are either dangerous or their effects are not yet researched enough.

I have no problem with there being a market for non-GMO food (though that in itself is a joke here considering that much of food there is in fact GMO) in the same way i got no problem with there being vegetarian restaurants. as long as it does not stop me from eating GMO food they can eat what they want.

Strazdas:

Europe didnt ban GMO food, it only banned some types of modifications that are either dangerous or their effects are not yet researched enough.

Never said Europe as a whole banned GM foods. Individual countries in the EU did.

Italy, Austria, Greece, & Spain have bans or mortorums in place on all GM food.

and most have bans on GM maze and/or canola.

direkiller:

Strazdas:

Never said Europe as a whole banned GM foods. Individual countries in the EU did.

Italy, Austria, Greece, & Spain have bans or mortorums in place on all GM food.

and most have bans on GM maze and/or canola.

Austria is weird. take that from somone that lived there for a while. they are crazy about privacy to the point that they banned google street view, and whole lot of other things. they constantly contest EU regulations in court. And yes, italy, greece and Spain did ban some food, mostly as a way to boost locally grown food sales without breaking EU agreements that ban import discrimination.

They didnt ban GM foods as a whole though. that would be impractical and very hard to believe. They would have to get rid of things such as carrots, apples, pears, tomatoes and a whole range of other vegetables.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here