All Street Fighter V DLCs Can be Earned for Free

All Street Fighter V DLCs Can be Earned for Free

street fighter 5

Street Fighter V won't make you pay for additional characters. *Pause for dramatic "yay"-ing*

The announcement that all Street Fighter V gameplay related post-launch content would be earnable instead of just buyable was made during Capcom's EVO 2015 panel, and shared afterwards in a PlayStation blog post.

"Street Fighter V will be the first iteration in the franchise where it is possible for dedicated players to earn all gameplay related content (such as characters) for free, simply by playing the game," Capcom's Community Manager Peter Rosas wrote in a blog post. "Long gone are the days of forced Super and Ultra upgrades! Enjoy free balance updates as soon as they become available, and find and choose the post-launch characters that you want to get."

Street Fighter V will feature two different forms of in-game currency: Fight Money, which is earned by playing the game, can be used to acquire new post-launch gameplay content, such as characters. Zenny, on the other hand, can be purchased with real money in order to immediately gain access to post-launch content. It is not immediately clear what must be done to earn Fight Money (my guess would be win) or how much Zenny will cost.

Later phases of the beta will be used to test the currency in order to ensure it "works in a fair way for everyone."

The game will launch with 16 playable characters, four of which will be brand new to the franchise. "Post-launch, we will be adding new characters to the roster on a continuous basis, which will provide new content for players to enjoy," Rosas stated. "Again, every post-launch character released will be earnable for free through gameplay!"

Street Fighter V will be hitting PlayStation 4 and PC in Spring 2016.

We'll see how much this is actually earnable?

I remember EA saying the same thing about earning the extra courses for Tiger Woods and the math done ended up needing something ridiculous like 320 hours of dedicated work to unlocking the courses.

I'm game if its like the old days where I had 8 characters or so in Tekken 3 and each clear unlocked someone else.

"MY FIGHT MONEEEEEEY!"

Dudley is still better though.

FoolKiller:
We'll see how much this is actually earnable?

I remember EA saying the same thing about earning the extra courses for Tiger Woods and the math done ended up needing something ridiculous like 320 hours of dedicated work to unlocking the courses.

I'm game if its like the old days where I had 8 characters or so in Tekken 3 and each clear unlocked someone else.

What was the IOS game that was like that? I think it was the My Little Pony farmville type game where without using the little gems or coins or whatever to speed up character cooldowns it would take upwards of 1000+ hours to max level all the characters.
And it was straight bullshit.

This sounds like progress. But we'll see.

In other words, grind your socks off to get even a single DLC character, or pay us a little bit.
mobile F2P, essentially.

If you play it often enough to warrant wanting new characters, you shouldn't need worry about paying (unless they make fight money barrier ludicrously high) and if you don't really play often enough then it's not worth real money anyway.

That's how I see it anyway.

So.. it's microtransaction then?

I kid. (Until it actually is microtransaction).

Assuming they don't screw it up, initiating dramatic yay:

It's Street Fighter guys. First of all we should just be happy that Capcom are no longer going down the route of Street Fighter: Now Buy This Slightly Upgraded Edition, so that's a good thing.

Second, even if it is a grind as long as it can be grinded out in versus mode I doubt any serious fans of the series will mind.

Third, what do devs need to do to win? Just release characters as paid DLC? Everyone freaks out. Release characters as DLC that can also be unlocked? Everyone freaks out. Hell I remember even before DLC, people freaked out about having to unlock extra characters the old fashioned way. Can we at least wait until we know the details before we start with the snark.

I hope Tekken goes a similar direction because seriously fuck Mortal Kombat's $5 per character bullshit.

EDIT: One thing that dawned on me though. Online fighting games can be a spammy, cheap mess of dickholery of the highest caliber. If unlocking characters is actually tied to your performance online I see things becoming unpleasant quickly. as someone who sucks at Street Fighter (like seriously guys, I'm just so bad at it. It doesn't make sense how someone who loves fighting games as much as I do can be so bad at one of the biggest fighting franchises in the world). It might become prohibitively difficult for me to unlock anything the old fashioned way. They should definitely tie in a way to lose fight money or zenny for rage quitting a fight though. Otherwise I see it becoming a hot mess. Earn lots for winning, earn a tiny amount for participating, lose for rage quitting.

I first read this as "hey fans, you can get the DLC for free if you just put the work in." Which sounds like a good thing to someone that doesn't know this game uses bought currency/micro-transactions to do so anyway. That someone being me, upon reading of said micro-payments, a Yahtzee quote comes to mind; "when dark souls capcom gives you chocolate buttons, it has to take away heart medication with it's other hand." Anyway that's not important or why I came here.
What intrigues me, rather, is what dramatic yay-ing sounds like as opposed to the non-dramatic. Is it louder? With flare? Fire? Makeup? A cult of mwathulkiens sactificing their young to the rhythm of the yays? My imagination has run off somewhere and lost itself, you monster!

Edit: oh, hey I did not see that pink...err creature video posted above before this. It doesn't play on my device so my point still stands. Albeit shakily.

Oh look, free to play elememts in a full priced AAA game.

And we are liking it.

Cant wait for ten years from now, when we have to log into 4 different accounts (xbox live, street fighter account,, street fighter pubishers account (like warner brothers account) and fuck I dunno, maybe we have to log into comcast too) all the better to track our info and "fight piracy"

After paying $90 for our games, we will have to pay $10 an hour to access it, in addition to fee to play elements,, dlcs, multiplayer passes, special editions, preorder content, season passes etc..

Oh and ads. They will probably start putting ads for other games, at the spash screen, or main menus. Im surprised the greedy corperations havent already.

They will only get away with what we let them folks. And they wil allways test us t see what they can get away with. Its allready pathetic we let them get away with thks much.

O.o given the news is you don't have to pay DLC you can earn currency in game to unlock, we are getting some awfully salty comments.

No its not Capcom.

Because it used to be all the gameplay content came on the disc and you just had it from the start or unlocked it by beating various modes. Not grinding it out to unlock it by downloading it online.

So the MOBA model then.

I really hope they release a 'complete' edition all the same. This idea is pretty great for anyone whose on board with SF5 near launch but awful for someone like me who typically waits for significant price drops.

If I pick up the game 3 years after release am I really going to want to grind for a 1000 hours to unlock a dozen characters? Probably not. Yet I can only assume the DLC for everything will be cost prohibitive over time.

It's smart business for Capcom I'll give them that.
This is a great way to give your game value and income over time. Presumably anyone whose not hardcore will have pressure to spend money.

So you're basically paying for cheat codes? Well, that's better than true on-disk DLC at least.

Paragon Fury:
No its not Capcom.

Because it used to be all the gameplay content came on the disc and you just had it from the start or unlocked it by beating various modes. Not grinding it out to unlock it by downloading it online.

There were a fair number of games where characters/stages/powers/whathaveyou are only unlockable by paying X amount of ingame money. If anything, this announcement is Capcom returning to form.

People act like they're being all nice about it, but they're really doing the same thing F2P MMOs did; make the effort rediculous enough to encourage enough to pay you. It's what killed off the F2P MMO market.

These won't be the old school unlockables, they are going to make you grind and grind for them.

So long as the pricing model is reasonable, I'm not going to complain. It's a step above having to always pay for DLC that you may have the dedication but not the money to get. And in my case, that happens a lot with games.

Ugh, forced monitored online. Pass thanks.

(For those of you doubting me, think this through. The characters can be earned either by playing for free currency or a special currency that is exchanged through real money. There is NO game out there that uses this system that does not force online at all times while playing regardless of whether doing online matches or offline. To add to this, the netcode Capcom uses is just plain bad for a fighting game.

"So we're implementing this new mechanic into the game, a very progressive thing called UNLOCKABLES"

It sound like they're going sort of like Killer Instinct did with the customization, although they could also be going the "Tekken Revolution" way, which would be the worst.

Although I'm not going to play it anyways so whatever.

So basically, how you unlocked characters/items in Marvel vs Capcom 2?

I'm not sure what I find more confusing, that Capcom is pretending this is new, or that there are apparently people in this very thread that thinks it is. Where am I? Is this the real life? Is it just fantasy?

Either way... pretty neat, I guess. Though if Capcom really wanted me to buy Streets 5, all they'd have to do is announce Makoto.

BX3:

I'm not sure what I find more confusing, that Capcom is pretending this is new, or that there are apparently people in this very thread that thinks it is. Where am I? Is this the real life? Is it just fantasy?

Either way... pretty neat, I guess. Though if Capcom really wanted me to buy Streets 5, all they'd have to do is announce Makoto.

This is not about unlocking characters that are in the game. It's about unlocking PAID post launch DLC for free through gameplay

I'll believe Capcom if they can go 3 years without some new edition of SFV. I myself prefer the model of a new edition every now and then, as buying all the necessary usually adds up to what the game would cost about a year into its shelf life.

I'm worried about this in game money and paid for money thing. I can see new characters costing around 48 hours of grinding for fight points.
Also missed opportunity to call "fight money" Bison Dollars. I know the Japs would never make anything the round eyes contributed cannon, and rightly so as that film is nasty but I think bison dollars would have been a fun edition.

DLC is neat, but what I really want to spend MY Fight Money on is two of every animal, so I can load them all on a boat and beat the crap outta 'em.
If it was good enough for Sun Tzu...

Gailim:

BX3:

This is not about unlocking characters that are in the game. It's about unlocking PAID post launch DLC for free through gameplay

But isn't that, in essence, the same thing?

In MvC2 (the PS2 version anyway... not sure about others), instead of unlocking characters through rituals and accomplishments, you grind game cash you earned through playing the game. Then, you go to the "Rewards" menu or whatever it was, and choose from a randomly generated group of prizes ranging from artwork, to alternate colors, to characters. It was pretty neat, but kinda grindy and flawed since shit was expensive.

I mean, yeah, the characters are post launch, but that's negligible, IMO. I'm talking about how the overall idea is the same.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here