One Piece Is Less than 80% Finished

Pages 1 2 NEXT

One Piece Is Less than 80% Finished

one piece

Crazy popular and crazy-long anime and manga series One Piece won't be ending any time soon.

Perhaps you've heard of Eiichiro Oda One Piece? It started back in 1997 and is still running strong today - easily one of the most popular anime and manga series in Japan, if not the world. But wow, 1997! That's a really long time. It must be pretty close to finishing right? Wrong. The manga's editor, Suguru Sugita, doesn't know for sure, but he estimates that we're only about 70% through.

Sugita recently told Japanese radio show Gold Rush that when he asked Oda how far along the story was, "He told me that the first part of the story, the part prior to the time-skip, was around halfway through. That was about 60 volumes, so maybe we're at 70%? I don't think it's at 80% yet. Something like that."

Oda works on his manga at a breakneck pace, spitting out a full chapter week after week. He reportedly only sleeps two or three hours a day, and has only revealed the ending of the manga to a select few, including Sugita. "He asked me whether there was anyone around," said Sugita, telling Gold Rush how he found out. "I told him no, and he said, 'Alright, I don't have anyone around me either, so let's talk,' and then he told me."

As for his prospects post-One Piece, Sugita says that the 40-year-old Oda "hasn't decided, but he said he probably wouldn't be able to write [another long-form manga]. He's already been going on for eighteen years, so just how old will he be by the time it's all over? I think it's more of a question as to whether he'd be able to write another long serialization after that, realistically speaking."

Source: Gold Rush via One Piece Podcast

Two of my mates actually watch all of this show, all 800 or 900 or whatever episodes.

That was before I had to visit them in the padded cells.

OT: This bloody show started before I was born. Bloody hell.

Wow...

that's been going on for a while.

Got a buddy who watches the anime religiously - not if she reads the manga. Still, that is impressive

Lil_Rimmy:
Two of my mates actually watch all of this show, all 800 or 900 or whatever episodes.

from experience of marathon it you kind of forget the last time you ate or how much the sun had raised and set or when those cobwebs got there.

OT: I love One piece but the current arc(I think they may have finished it I haven't checked) is really stretching itself out. I hope it can kind of get back on track when it's over

ps. also if you're going to Marathon the series I would suggest actually watching the English dub(or at least what they have so far) because marathoning a sub anime like that would hurt your brain.

This series can go on forever for all I care. Love the series to bits. Been up to date on this series for most of the last 10 years, maybe more cause I cant remember if I started watching in highschool or earlier.

Full of action, heavy feels, and laughs. And to see news that it's gonna be at least a few more years before the end is in sight is awesome news.

At least he has an ending in mind though, would hate for the ending of this series to be similar to bleach where everything just gets dragged out for no good reason.

Gotta say that's pretty damn impressive. Unfortunate, considering it's an utter crap series that's maybe one step above Naruto, but still impressive to be chugging along for 18 years.

i really love one piece. read every chapter and watched all episodes (i watch about once a month every ep since the last time i watched, so not weekly).
and what i like about one piece the most is its structure. its a manga that from the very beginning had and end point, you knew what the protagonist would strive to do. much clearer then becoming hokage in my eyes. and every bit and piece that got inserted expanded the story in a natural way and didnt force new plot points into the world. it feels that oda knew the whole story from the getgo and is just writing it out without hindrance. that clarity is what keeps me so hocked on the manga. and ill be happy and sad when the final chapter hits..... in a few years......
i just hope shonenjump lets him really straight up finish it and wont make him prolong it like it went with naruto. it would be a shame if he had to continue writhing after finishing his masterpiece.

It kinda sadden me since it making me think the journey is almost over.

So there is only 20% left? That feel kinda small and maybe rush to the stuff not yet explained but yet again they probably still got plenty of time (20% will still be hundreds of anime episodes!) left to resolved it all (the void century, Dr Vegapunk, the Will of D and what One Piece is really is).

Meh One Piece has barely started, now American comics like Superman and Batman (both have had 75th anniversary's) that's long running.

tf2godz:

Lil_Rimmy:

from experience of marathon it you kind of forget the last time you ate or how much the sun had raised and set or when those cobwebs got there.

OT: I love One piece but the current arc(I think they may have finished it I haven't checked) is really stretching itself out. I hope it can kind of get back on track when it's over

ps. also if you're going to Marathon the series I would suggest actually watching the English dub(or at least what they have so far) because marathoning a sub anime like that would hurt your brain.

Dub?

Dub?

HAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHHHHHHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHHAHa
hahahaha
ha

My mates watch the subbed the whole way through just so they can be more caught up than those who watch the dubbed. I don't even know how you do that. I love to watch shows while doing something else, but with subs you have to be watching the screen the whole time and it can distract from scenes. But no. They watched the whole thing in subbed.

I think the Australia wildlife actually just broke them one day. Suddenly they never wanted to do anything but listen to Japanese while staring a letters on a screen.

They might actually be sleeper agents, on second thought.

I just started watching again from the start because I forgot what episode I was up to in the Dressrosa Arc. Plus I probably missed a whole bunch watching the subbed version so this time I'm watching the dub. Skipping the filler though.

P-89 Scorpion:
Meh One Piece has barely started, now American comics like Superman and Batman (both have had 75th anniversary's) that's long running.

Considering that One Piece is done by a very small team of people, whereas the like of Superman and Batman are done by an ever changing large group of people by mandate of a huge corporation, it's not entirely comparable, nor does it diminish their feat.

Hey, Arakis' been writing JoJo since '87 so it's plausible that Oda can keep going. Admittedly, last 10 of those or so have been in monthly format.

So 70-80% of the way there... thats 4 more years at the most. Probably more, knowing how Oda likes to add things.

Auberon:
Hey, Arakis' been writing JoJo since '87 so it's plausible that Oda can keep going. Admittedly, last 10 of those or so have been in monthly format.

Jojo has been a monthly serial for some 8 years now.

And One Peice still hasnt overtaken it in total number of chapters. Bit of useless trivia for you.

Bull Oda has been saying that he has just reached the "Half Way Point" for over a decade. I love OP but there is no way it is 80% complete. Considering each island recently has taken about 2 years to get through and we still have Zoa, Elbaf, raftel and god knows how many others to visit I can only imagine that the series will take at least another two decades to wrap up.

Exactly the reason why I'll never bother with something like One Piece. Not that I think its length is necessarily bad, I just simply don't have the time to spend on one series to deal with all that backlog.

P-89 Scorpion:

I don't think those can be compared, seeing as Superman and Batman are just characters that have seen multiple reboots. One Piece is one big continuous thing.

Now if only he went for quality instead of quantity, maybe it would be a watchable anime.
Also I call bullshit. It will go on as long as it makes money, there won't be any real ending. Same like Naruto ended, wait no, it didn't. It's still going on despite ending.

Hey, one of those moments when I can proudly say I've watched all 701 episodes! Here's to another couple hundred before we reach the end!

Yeah i rather doubt we're 70-80% through. There is just too much stuff left that Oda has to explain and the Arcs have become longer, rather than shorter, with a whole lot of faffing about, Dressrosa and Fishman Island being prime examples of "Arcs that have just gone too long", previously only the Alabasta Arc had a similar running-time all things considered. There's still Raftel, the Revolutionairies, Kaidou and Big Mom, eventually Blackbeard as well, whatever the third and hopefully final "big bad superweapon" is considering only two have been revealed, some more insight into the Void Century, a couple Shichibukai most likely, a return of former enemies that were hinted at such as Crocodile. So we're still looking at another 5-10 years here in total, depending on how drawn out stuff gets and what else Oda plans on covering. Oda has yet to explain what the whole D thing is about as well.

Probably the most amazing thing about One Piece is how un-padded it is (the polar opposite of Bleach). The story is constantly barreling forward at deadly speed and has been doing so for 18 years. That it can maintain that pace for so long with so much energy and passion is miraculous. The man is hero.

As much as I like One Piece... I'm not sure I could watch the whole thing, as I have neither the time, patience or attention span. Still, at least Oda has an actual plan for the end. Compared to, say, Bleach, which was dragged out for years, and ruined an otherwise-good story. Hopefully with One Piece every plot detail will be tied up...

This is why editors are needed desperately in Japan. Although editors are probably an alien concept to an industry that considers missing a weekly update an indicator of failure.

Yes, that's it. Milk it for every penny (or whatever currency) you can. That's how manga works.

Elfgore:
Hey, one of those moments when I can proudly say I've watched all 701 episodes! Here's to another couple hundred before we reach the end!

ok that takes some skills :P

I can honestly say ive read all 794 chapters of this manga and still enjoy reading it and that's impressive.

Silk_Sk:
Probably the most amazing thing about One Piece is how un-padded it is (the polar opposite of Bleach). The story is constantly barreling forward at deadly speed and has been doing so for 18 years. That it can maintain that pace for so long with so much energy and passion is miraculous. The man is hero.

Are, are you reading an abridged version? Because the One Piece I've been reading is full of padding, as in the kind we know from the DBZ anime when they introduced filler and dragged everything out because they ran out of manga to adapt. Oda pads out every arch, especially fights with named characters. Usop's been blown up so many times just to drag a scene out so it can fill to or more chapters that I suspect him to be immortal, or Superman. Then there are the constant battles that consist of people standing around and shouting about how they have to keep someone occupied for five minutes that drag on for like 10 hours. A couple of the recent chapters were literally just someone counting down for four minutes, the last 20 seconds of which dragged on four almost 3 chapters.

Oda pads his stuff more than Bendis.

Silk_Sk:

Are you talking about the manga or the anime? Because that's patently untrue of the anime. The second Davyback Fight, Navaronne, The Thousand Year Dragon, The Rainbow Mist; all of those were filler arcs. And the Fishman Island arc certainly didn't need several episodes that were pretty much entirely everyone who WASN'T Luffy beating up random mooks. That being said, I'd argue that some of One Piece's filler arcs are better than Bleach/Naruto's plot-centric ones (especially the later ones). I just wish they'd ditch the filler for the vignettes at the beginning of the Manga chapters. I wanna see animated versions of (a more accurate) Jango's Dance Carnival, Hachi's Undersea Stroll, and Wapol's Omnivorous Hurrah. Little Buggy's Big Adventure and The CobyMeppo Diaries were great, and it bothers me that important world building is being skipped because "reasons".

Dead Metal:
Usop's been blown up so many times just to drag a scene out so it can fill to or more chapters that I suspect him to be immortal, or Superman.

OT: How is this news? at around 500 episodes in they said they were about half way. Now that we've reached 700 it's about 70%. Math is hard.

That's kind a shame. The damn thing get's worse as it goes on, and it's so... hilariously boring.

One Piece has pretty much gotten past the point where I have anything good to say about it anymore.

Cowabungaa:
Exactly the reason why I'll never bother with something like One Piece. Not that I think its length is necessarily bad, I just simply don't have the time to spend on one series to deal with all that backlog.

Read the Manga you just need to rent a few from volumes at a time from your local library with each of the 78 volumes taking around 20-25 minutes to read each (the equivalent of watching 39, 1 hour scheduled TV show episodes).

It's hardly taxing, the anime on the other hand just avoid (except film 6 Baron Omatsuri and the Secret Island that's worth watching).

I can honestly say that One Piece is the only one of the big 3 that I'm not bored of yet, and while this current arc was dragging on for awhile, it definitely got its act together at the last part. Oda is incredibly talented when it comes to world building.

P-89 Scorpion:

Cowabungaa:

Read the Manga you just need to rent a few from volumes at a time from your local library with each of the 78 volumes taking around 20-25 minutes to read each (the equivalent of watching 39, 1 hour scheduled TV show episodes).

It's hardly taxing, the anime on the other hand just avoid (except film 6 Baron Omatsuri and the Secret Island that's worth watching).

But... That was filler... I'd say he'd be fine doing as you say and skipping the anime, except for a few things. I believe Strong world and Z's Ambition are both canon and not in the manga, so those aren't a bad watch. Also, that half hour history lesson OVA that gave us a bunch of backstory on many of the characters that took place right around Roger's execution was neat(I think this one came out around the same time as Z? ). Also, there is the absurdity of the One PiecexTorikoxDBZ crossovers to consider.

I read this like 2 years ago from an interview with Oda that One Piece plans on going on for 10 more years so we won't be seeing this anime end anytime soon.

I don't watch it personally, but I have checked the filler list and I'm quite impressed that it only has 14% episodes worth of filler (96 episodes out of 700+)

Lil_Rimmy:

I have actually been through 7 times XD.

OP: Oda actually said it was a little more than half way at the time skip so it is likely around 65-70% done roughly at this point give or take.

tf2godz:

Lil_Rimmy:

From what I've heard they're on the tail end of it.

ccggenius12:

But... That was filler... I'd say he'd be fine doing as you say and skipping the anime, except for a few things. I believe Strong world and Z's Ambition are both canon and not in the manga, so those aren't a bad watch. Also, that half hour history lesson OVA that gave us a bunch of backstory on many of the characters that took place right around Roger's execution was neat(I think this one came out around the same time as Z? ). Also, there is the absurdity of the One PiecexTorikoxDBZ crossovers to consider.

It's anime original which is only filler when it's to waste time for the manga/original source to catch up. Anime original films are different and One Piece film 6 is by Mamoru Hosoda who has made great films like 'The Girl Who Leapt Through Time' and 'Summer Wars'.

Anime original isn't always bad, Mamoru Oshii of 'Ghost in the Shell' fame got started with 'Urusei Yatsura' and his anime original second film of that series is considered a classic.

As they say 99% of anything is shit but occasionally future talents get to shine by showing there ability with anime original stuff.

Been watching it since the early 2000s. Still has its ups and downs, animation quality has gotten really bad last number of eps but I still love all the main characters and the absurd nature of so much that goes on in the shows universe.

Even so I'll be glad to see it wrap up, I'm getting pretty impatient waiting to see the inevitable fight between luffy and blackbeard and akainu and meeting back up with shanks and his dad and whatnot. Feel like the last season or two has been really uneventful but ah well still one of the best long running animes to date.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.