Escape From City 17: A Live-Action Half-Life 2 Film

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Escape From City 17: A Live-Action Half-Life 2 Film

Independent filmmakers the Purchase Brothers have released the first episode of a live-action short film series based on Valve's Half-Life 2 called Escape From City 17, and the results are nothing short of spectacular.

The project began as a "spec commercial" to test different kinds of post-production techniques, but grew from there into a multi-part series of shorts. DailyGameNews says it was filmed "guerrilla style with no money, no time, no crew [and] no script." Amazingly, the first two episodes were created on a budget of $500. Maybe Uwe Boll should give these guys a call.

Escape From City 17 can be viewed at purchasebrothers.com or on YouTube. Needless to say, we'll be watching for part two.

Now, I have to ask you, why would we want Uwe Boll to get his grubby little hands on these guys? He'll taint them and the awesomeness they have.

That's sweet. Although the clips of the Headcrab zombies seem a little goofy. But then again, $500!

Zombies looked a bit weird, but eagerly awaiting the next instalment. Does anyone know why their website isn't working?

Now, if they can make that with only $500 between 2 episodes, imagine what Hollywood (working very closely with Valve so nothing goes wrong) could do.

Awesome. I think some of the mixing of CGI with live action has been done really well, especially when you consider the budget. When I think of all the horrible mixing I've seen in some Hollywood films, it's all rather impressive.

I don't think this could be considered fair use. Does anybody know why this isn't copyright infringement? Did they get Valve's permission, or will this disappear as soon as Valve's lawyers get around to writing a C&D.

A real shame if it does. Let's hope Valve is cool with this.

That was surprisingly good.

Mstrswrd:
Now, I have to ask you, why would we want Uwe Boll to get his grubby little hands on these guys? He'll taint them and the awesomeness they have.

Yeah really, that's the person you never ever want to call to work on any kind of movie because he will ruin it.

awesome

Volucer:
Now, if they can make that with only $500 between 2 episodes, imagine what Hollywood (working very closely with Valve so nothing goes wrong) could do.

NO! Keep Hollywood away from these men, what they are doing must not be tainted.

Website account for these guys was suspended :o

Better than the game.

I. Am. Speechless.

$500 budget! This stuff is insane; even from the five minute I saw, this trumps most Hollywood action films. As an independent project, I'm, just...wow.

Wow, on such a small budget, that was amazing.

RebelRising:
I. Am. Speechless.

$500 budget! This stuff is insane; even from the five minute I saw, this trumps most Hollywood action films. As an independent project, I'm, just...wow.

I'll definitely second that.

Wow. It's incredible what people can do with enough sheer determination. That was seriously hollywood quality.

dcheppy:
I don't think this could be considered fair use. Does anybody know why this isn't copyright infringement? Did they get Valve's permission, or will this disappear as soon as Valve's lawyers get around to writing a C&D.

I get the feeling that they will be fine with it: they've been very accepting of modders for their games, and this is effectively free-advertising for them: the amount of publicity this thing has got already is just staggering.

Valve just isn't the sort of company I can see having a problem with this: such a shame the same can't happen with Damnatus (a warhammer 40k fan-film that can't be released because of problems with German copyright laws...)

edit: And I realise this may sound like a ludicrous idea, but could we get this on the Escapist somehow ;)

That is just amazingly well done for $500. This is how any Hollywood adaptation of Half-Life should run. Don't follow Freeman's story; his mystique could be ruined. (Though if glimpses of Freeman are shown, I say Robert Downey Jr. looks a lot like the man.)

Give this crew a Micheal Bay budget. In spite of the weak acting and Blair Witch camera work, this still kicks ass. Can't wait for part 2.

I can't believe this was created with about $250! I'll definetly be watching part two.

Amazing stuff. Really liked it.

I think Valve are more than OK with this; it's been plugged on the Steam Update News that pops up when you start Steam. I'd say that's an endorsement and a half! Really good work, impressive stuff. I feel rude even thinking about critisicing the slightly hammy acting and kinda goofy headcrab zombies, when the CGI integration work is so superb.

dcheppy:

It was posted on the Update News that pops up when you open Steam, so apparently Valve is fine with it.

runtheplacered:

dcheppy:

It was posted on the Update News that pops up when you open Steam, so apparently Valve is fine with it.

Awesome.

I can't wait until the next episode will come out next year!

*ZING!*

dcheppy:

well since i found the link to this on Steam, as a news panel, i think they are fine with it.
They were very impressed

Jumplion:
I can't wait until the next episode will come out next year!

*ZING!*

Well, let's just hope that's one thing that they don't take inspiration from Valve from... ;)

Wow is all I can say, to be able to pull that off on so little money is brilliant. And to think Hollywood needs millions upon millions of dollars to pull off the awful crap they do.

That was absolutely excellent, so much is left unresolved though, makes you desperate to see the second half. Hope everything is going alright for them, I noticed their site has gone down because they haven't payed the bill :|.

this looks pretty freaking awesome cant wait for part 2

The acting's pretty weak, but apart from that you've got admire the efforts and execution of a low-budget company trying to attempt a high-budget idea. That was seriously pretty damned cool!

And Valve approves. They are promoting it in their update new thing when you log in.

That was full of win.

To bad their websites down.

dcheppy:

Valve considers it fair use, is promoting themselves as they did with Garry's Mod, they consider it derivative in the same way that fanart is derivative; so long as they continue to distribute it for free, and not for a price or under false pretence, it is perfectly acceptable. Most 'infringing' things like this are actually fair use, but the threat of an expensive lawsuit are enough to shut down the originators of such fanwork.

Valve are just intelligent; they've turned mods like Team Fortress Classic and Counter-Strike into their own franchises, building upon them and professionally expanding them. It's possible that Escape from City 17 could be the foundation for their own cinematic endeavours.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.