Del Toro, Kojima Will Still Collaborate on a New, Non-Silent Hills Project

Del Toro, Kojima Will Still Collaborate on a New, Non-Silent Hills Project

guillermo del toro

Despite Silent Hills cancellation, del Toro and Kojima still plan to collaborate.

Earlier this year, the gaming community collectively wet their pants at the prospect of Hellboy director Guillermo del Toro and Metal Gear creator Hideo Kojima collaborating on a new Silent Hill title: Silent Hills. Unfortunately, Konami being Konami, the project was unceremoniously cancelled, something we can't help but attribute to the company's changing relationship with Kojima. The good news is that this isn't the end, as del Toro has said that he still plans to collaborate with Kojima on a new, non-Silent Hills project.

In an interview with IGN, del Toro said, "I love working with Kojima-san. We are still in touch. We are still friends and working into doing something together, but that's not going to be [Silent Hills]."

The veteran director also offers us a glimpse into what Silent Hills could have been. "We were in the planning stages, and it's a shame it's not going to happen," del Toro said. "We were talking about really pushing the boundaries of the new consoles, and making the game really mess with your head. One of the great moments in Metal Gear was Psycho Mantis. The idea that a game can actually interact with you, and stuff like that."

For the uninitiated, the Psycho Mantis fight in the original Metal Gear Solid broke the forth wall by having Mantis display his "psychic powers". During the fight, he would activate the controller's rumble feature, change the TV channel, and even "read" the player's memory card, making comments about other games they had been playing.

It's a shame that Silent Hills is dead, but i'm excited to see what del Toro and Kojima can think up, especially when they are freed from the corporate restrictions of Konami.

Source: IGN

This is great news, possibly better then Silent Hills. They may enjoy greater creative freedom.

(pssssst It's Del Toro)

Excellent.

It'd be neat if they could get Reedus on board for the hell of it (if that's even legal), but I sense that only good things can come of this.

As Captain Barbossa says, "Gents! Our hope is restored!"

Please be a horror game. And please be so good that Konami's board spends the rest of their lives beating their heads against their keyboards.

That's good to know, hopefully they'll create something so good the brain trust at Konami will regret ever letting them go... (Crosses fingers)

I wonder if this means Kojima will form his own studio instead of joining one, like some people think. I mean if he still wants to team up with Del Toro for a new project, it likely points towards him wanting to make his own independent studio, there the two could work on whatever they have in mind.

Sniper Team 4:
As Captain Barbossa says, "Gents! Our hope is restored!"

Please be a horror game. And please be so good that Konami's board spends the rest of their lives beating their heads against their keyboards.

Let me get that clip for you.

OT: Well then! Wonder where this is gonna go. I look forward to finding that out.

Konami might want to see games development killed, but they will not be able to stop the Silent Hills spiritual successor.

Did people expect anything different? All they have to do is change the name of the project.

Coming in 2018
Quiet Peaks.

For real though, is this a surprise to anyone? With what's been going down, no way Kojima's just going to take Konami's whipping and sit in the corner. The man is a titan of the industry.

With del Toro still optimistic, I smell an extremely successful Kickstarter in the near future.

If Konami hadn't been a bunch of asshats, Silent Hills would probably be getting preorders out the wazoo in a few months. Now whatever Kojima game comes out next without Konami's involvment will probably be immensely successful, just from the news of how Konami handled MGS 5 and Silent Hills.

Kickstart a non-Silent Hill Silent Hill game. Call it...Hushed Peak.

Seriously, wanna break Kickstarter again, Kojima? This will get funded before you can say James Sunderland.

Del Toro keeps dancing around great games and failing to deliver. Anybody remember his tryst with Shadow of the Colossus? I'm starting to think he can't walk the talk.

Johnny Novgorod:
Del Toro keeps dancing around great games and failing to deliver. Anybody remember his tryst with Shadow of the Colossus? I'm starting to think he can't walk the talk.

Well, this time it wasn't really his fault. He was working together with possibly the biggest industry vet still working and there was a concept demo and everything. One that people responded to very positively.

All his videogame projects are mired by bad luck though, so let's see if whatever they're going to set up next will finally break that streak.

Dapper Changeling:
Coming in 2018
Quiet Peaks.

Vausch:

No no, gotta be more conspicuous. Ambient Valley is where it's at!

InsanityRequiem:

Dapper Changeling:
Coming in 2018
Quiet Peaks.

Vausch:

Muted Knoll
Whispering Heights
Peaceful Bluff
Reticent Ridge
Mum Crest

Oh!

"A Game Published by EA and Konami".

Everyone will be scared forever before they even buy it.

YES! YES!.mp4
This is one of the few (counted on a single hand) proper good news I heard this year about video games.

Thank God.

Might see something good out of this.

Up yours Konami!

Vausch:

InsanityRequiem:

Dapper Changeling:
Coming in 2018
Quiet Peaks.

Vausch:

Muted Knoll
Whispering Heights
Peaceful Bluff
Reticent Ridge
Mum Crest

Noiseless Undulations?

Wistful Ascent?
Yippee for good news! Although a part of me hoped, there is always that inherited despair that doubts all that can be doubted. Entropy is a bit of a naysayer. Norman Reedus isn't a huge loss if they can't get him on board, it isn't like he's one of the creative driving forces behind the whole shabbang.

Still have the PT demo on ps4 HDD...

*I want to believe*

Oooh yes! I can't wait to see what comes of this.

How about Silence of the Mountains?

Vausch:

InsanityRequiem:

Dapper Changeling:
Coming in 2018
Quiet Peaks.

Vausch:

Muted Knoll
Whispering Heights
Peaceful Bluff
Reticent Ridge
Mum Crest

Oh!

"A Game Published by EA and Konami".

Everyone will be scared forever before they even buy it.

Really? I was more thinking about Screaming Mountains.

Anyway, atleast this means more creative freedom I assume?

Loud Valley will be the greatest game of all time.

This is some great news. As much as I would love a new horror type game to be in the works, A small part of me wishes that this will somehow be related to the HBO Monster adaptation that Guillermo has been teasing for the past few years. We all know how great Kojima is when it comes to cutscenes, I feel like this would translate well to an adaptation of one of the greatest anime's of all time.

Objectable:
Loud Valley will be the greatest game of all time.

Taciturn Gradient will, indeed, be a game for the ages.

We got "Definitely Not Mega Man", "Definitely Not Castlevania", and "Definitely Not Banjo-Kazooie"...here's hoping these two can bring us "Definitely Not Silent Hill"!

And everything was back in the right place again.

Quellist:

How about... At the Mountains of Silence.

Vausch:

Seriously, wanna break Kickstarter again, Kojima? This will get funded before you can say James Sunderland.

Call it T.P.

Rub it in Konami's faces.

Awesome! I can't wait until Cheesy Cryst comes out!

Other than that, I can see this coming out when we least expect it to...

With this news, I can, at long last, celebrate Konami's cancellation of Silent Hills. Now we know that the project was a labor of love and NOT strictly a business collaboration put together for the sake of hype. Given what we saw in P.T. and the fact that del Toro and Kojima want to make that vision a reality speaks volumes to how amazing their game might turn out, especially now that they're liberated from Konami's shit-stained paws.

This is a beautiful thing.

And fuck Konami.

I honestly prefer this, I wasn't really sold on Kojima doing Silent Hill (even the fucking name was stupid) since Silent Hill was subtle, really subtle, and Kojima is as subtle as a... Kojima. Now, whatever comes out of this, at least they won't fuck up Silent Hill... again.

If this went to Kickstarter, I think I would have to give it money. Not even for the final product, but just for justice's sake. I'm sure the final product would be interesting, but an opportunity to roll back the carpet so rudely pulled out from under two great creative minds... that's a rare opportunity.

MrCalavera:

And everything was back in the right place again.

Quellist:

How about... At the Mountains of Silence.

Oh man If only! Lets hope that's exactly what they do!

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here