Harebrained Schemes to Kickstart BattleTech this Fall

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Harebrained Schemes to Kickstart BattleTech this Fall

BattleTech

Jordan Weisman returning to the well once more.

Harebrained Schemes, developer behind Shadowrun Returns, Shadowrun: Dragonfall, and the forthcoming Shadowrun: Hong Kong has announced their intent to launch a Kickstarter campaign to develop a game based on a different classic FASA franchise. At GenCon in Indianapolis this week, the studio revealed they will seek funding for a new BattleTech.

Few details have been announced regarding the project at this stage. The studio has confirmed that the game will feature turn-based combat (the first in the franchise to do so in more than twenty years), and will have an open-ended, "Mercenary-style," campaign.

Co-created by Harebrained Schemes' founder Jordan Weisman, BattleTech first saw life on the tabletop in 1984 (as "BattleDroids") and has spawned numerous spin-off series (including MechWarrior, MechAssault, and MechCommander), more than a hundred novels, and even a short-lived animated series.

BattleTech will be the fourth Kickstarter campaign from Harebrained Schemes. Their 2012 funding drive for Shadowrun Returns amassed $1.8 million, resulting in the production of that game and its expansion (later released as a standalone title), Dragonfall. A second Shadowrun Kickstarter in January of this year also met with success and Harebrained will release the fruits of that labor, Shadowrun: Hong Kong, next month.

Are they really going to use Kickstarter for all of their games? You'd think getting over-funded with all previous projects would make up most of the money to be spent on developing a new thing. (Basically I'm saying is do they really need Kickstarter a forth time?)

Not enough information to really talk about. I mean don't announce you will be doing a kickstarter because all there is for us to do is wait and try not to forget about it.

On the other hand, I have been looking a mech TBS game with no results for a long time, but on the other other hand I didn't like shadow-run all that much. It had too much talking. I got really board with Harebrained's last game and haven't been able to finish it. Though on the other, other, other hand the campaign style might fix that issue.

You mean the first "released" and "official" turn-based BattleTech game. MechWarrior Tactics never came out (thank god. that project was shit) and MegaMek has been doing table-top-rules BattleTech for years.

Aerosteam:
Are they really going to use Kickstarter for all of their games? You'd think getting over-funded with all previous projects would make up most of the money to be spent on developing a new thing. (Basically I'm saying is do they really need Kickstarter a forth time?)

No, they don't need one. In fact they already have the funding needed for the core of the game.* I kind of think kickstarter is being used more as a way to get in touch with their audience. (Gage interest, spread the word, get money and options.) I think you will find different views on how OK that is.

*oops, I may have got that detail wrong. I read speculation as fact in one article.

Aerosteam:

Imagine the shitstorm that would result from backers if it were learned that they allocated excess funds collected from a campaign to a different project, though. Anyone with a minor quibble about the quality of the crowdfunded project would immediately claim fraud.

A better question might be why they aren't using profits from the other projects to fund development, but I suspect that they probably are. The finances of Kickstarter projects are all kinds of convoluted now, as many crowdfunded games will actually cost considerably more than the projects seek in donations, and it's a safe bet that some of their money is tied up in there.

Since I absolutely loathe Mechwarrior Online and the old Mechwarrior games don't work on my PC I FULLY support this project, hell I'll actually contribute to the Kickstarter.

Harebrained offers things I have never wanted and suddenly, with a few meager words I am filled with desire.

Clearly, theirs is a vile sorcery I should have nothing but hate for and yet, my heart is filled with a sweet longing, an anticipation of things to come, for an another piece of this wrong world to be set right once more. And even though I know 'tis but base lust for filthy lucre that drives them on, to deny them my allegiance would be to deny my very self.

All in all, the idea looks pretty promising :D

I'll admit, I'm somewhat curious. I'll wait for a trailer first.

Conrad Zimmerman:

Aerosteam:

Imagine the shitstorm that would result from backers if it were learned that they allocated excess funds collected from a campaign to a different project, though. Anyone with a minor quibble about the quality of the crowdfunded project would immediately claim fraud.

A better question might be why they aren't using profits from the other projects to fund development, but I suspect that they probably are. The finances of Kickstarter projects are all kinds of convoluted now, as many crowdfunded games will actually cost considerably more than the projects seek in donations, and it's a safe bet that some of their money is tied up in there.

It looks like they are doing the same thing here that they did with Shadowrun: Hong Kong, they are using profits from their other projects, and the profits from Hong Kong will likely go towards this game. The game is likely already funded at its core and will be produced whether the kickstarter succeeds or not.

The system that the studio is using seems to be relying on Kickstarter to fund extra content rather than the core game, the way they justify it is by stating that their games are niche (which they are, these aren't multi-million unit sellers with a $60 price tag) and kickstarter funds allow them to hit above what their budget would normally allow.

Some people don't believe that and say its scummy behavior, but they managed to use it effectively with Dragonfall, which was a massive improvement in pretty much every way from the admittedly kind of mediocre Shadowrun Returns. If they can do it again with Hong Kong coming the 20th of August, then they might be able to adequately justify this particular method of using Kickstarter i.e.: as a way to give indie companies the extra budget to make niche titles more robust than their previous titles.

This is great news! They did a good job on the first Shadowrun game and since then they've practiced their craft and poured profits into each subsequent release. I'll almost definitely be backing this...since Front Mission 5 i've been stuck for a good mech combat game

That's very cool; I used to play MechCommander in the Starlance League, and most of the other Battletech games. An updated version of any of those would be welcome.

Aerosteam:

If it works...

Pragmatically speaking, getting overfunded is a double edged sword. Yes you get more money, but that also equates to more sales, more production, more shipping and more of the small but rapidly stacking ancillary costs. These projects run at a profit (or they should) but I don't think it's entirely fair to assume that there will be a giant pile of money to set aside for the next project that may or may not work.

Running a Kickstarter lets Harebrained separate the risks of each new project from the company, if it's funded great, if it isn't shrug and focus on the next one, you haven't committed much funding. It certainly makes sense from a business perspective.

On a purely emotional note, the only thing I want from Battletech is Warhammer scale Mech and tank models. The Imperial Guard must be supported by Timberwolves of the hitherto lost Legio Kerensky!

Captcha: GADZOOKS! Yes captcha, gadzooks indeed.

I know absolutely nothing about mech warrior, just that there are mechs and that Hairbrained schemes is really good at making games.

Consider me on board!

So far their track record is fine; Shadowrun Returns was a good start for reviving the franchise, Dragonfall and its subsequent Director's Cut were good followups that improved on the mechanics, and Hong Kong is looking to be an even better addition. Bringing back Battletech could be interesting, if just because I feel that the mech genre is very underutilized in gaming.

JamesBr:
MegaMek has been doing table-top-rules BattleTech for years.

Heh, I was be so on board if this project was nothing more than MegaMek with some bells and whistles.

JamesBr:
You mean the first "released" and "official" turn-based BattleTech game. MechWarrior Tactics never came out (thank god. that project was shit) and MegaMek has been doing table-top-rules BattleTech for years.

Whatever happened with Mechwarrior Tactics anyway? I remember a decent bit of word of mouth, a bunch of people streamin it (and showin the tons of really bad connection problems with it), then it just sort of died.

shintakie10:

JamesBr:

Whatever happened with Mechwarrior Tactics anyway? I remember a decent bit of word of mouth, a bunch of people streamin it (and showin the tons of really bad connection problems with it), then it just sort of died.

It lost its developer (Roadhouse initially) and then bounced around for a while trying to find a new one before the publisher (Infinite Games Publishing) shut down and it got canned. The property was sold to someone (not sure who) at the end of 2014 and we haven't heard from it since.

shintakie10:

JamesBr:

They stole everyone's money and fucked off apparently. I didn't bother funding Mechwarrior Tactics, I already spent about $1000 in Mechwarrior Online and that game is far more fun.

Slycne:

JamesBr:
MegaMek has been doing table-top-rules BattleTech for years.

Heh, I was be so on board if this project was nothing more than MegaMek with some bells and whistles.

Me too. Something a bit easier to use, with more polish. I'd be totally down for that. They did a decent job with Shadowrun, fingers crossed they get to make this. Not enough table-top-wargames have been made into digital form using 1:1 table-top rules.

Corralis:

shintakie10:

JamesBr:

They stole everyone's money and fucked off apparently. I didn't bother funding Mechwarrior Tactics, I already spent about $1000 in Mechwarrior Online and that game is far more fun.

Pretty much sums it up. That whole company was a clusterfuck of mismanagement and potential corruption. Fun times. I don't miss it. MWO had its own problems. Gold Mech skins for 500$? Laughed myself sick when I saw that.

JamesBr:

Corralis:

shintakie10:

Pretty much sums it up. That whole company was a clusterfuck of mismanagement and potential corruption. Fun times. I don't miss it. MWO had its own problems. Gold Mech skins for 500$? Laughed myself sick when I saw that.

Yea I didn't need the gold skins but I have no issue with them being in the game. A few of my guild mates have them and at the end of the day it only makes my gaming experience better as they're funding the development more. I actually wish that MWO would have been released as it is right now, it really is a much better game now.

"Harebrained Schemes has revealed they will seek funding for a new BattleTech game."

Gasp! Oooh! You mean we may finally get a proper, story-driven single-player Mechwarrior ga...

"The studio has confirmed that the game will feature turn-based combat."

Oh...

Well, shit. Guess I'll just have to keep hopelessly waiting for a new Mechwarrior game.

Way to get my hopes up, Harebrained Schemes.

>:(

I love the Battletech IP. It's awesome. I used to enjoy just reading the manuals for it. I'm looking forward to this.

JamesBr:

You mean the YELLOW skins? They werent even metallic gold... they where simply bright yellow... hilarious. You pay 500 dollars for a gold mech and get a taxi...

As for this project.. YES! A game that actually uses turn based combat AND has an open ended mercenary campaign? Awesome! If they allow us to use stuff like tanks and elementals too and let us manage our own merc unit im totaly sold....

has a lot of potential and these guys i trust with their track record of delivering on their promises

HB has a good track record and has gathered some customer good-will, here's hoping they don't mess up. I don't really have the funds to support a kickstarter for a game in a setting I know nothing off, but it does sound interesting. I'll keep my eye on this.

I haven't had a legitimately good turn-based mech game since the Front Mission series (ended).
SR: Dragonfall was quite good (good blend of gameplay and writing; though still a bit too "railroady"), so hopefully this will scratch that particular turn-based mech itch.

Vigormortis:

"Harebrained Schemes has revealed they will seek funding for a new BattleTech game."

Gasp! Oooh! You mean we may finally get a proper, story-driven single-player Mechwarrior ga...

"The studio has confirmed that the game will feature turn-based combat."

Oh...

Well, shit. Guess I'll just have to keep hopelessly waiting for a new Mechwarrior game.

Way to get my hopes up, Harebrained Schemes.

>:(

I know I'm being a pedant arse here, but...BattleTech and MechWarrior have always been clearly distinguished in their genre and purpose, despite coming from the same universe source material.

Mechwarrior was always the action game and BattleTech was always turn-based (being a tabletop; natch).

Atmos Duality:

I know I'm being a pedant arse here, but...BattleTech and MechWarrior have always been clearly distinguished in their genre and purpose, despite coming from the same universe source material.

Mechwarrior was always the action game and BattleTech was always turn-based (being a tabletop; natch).

Yes, I know. And yes, you are. ;) But I've always been an avid fan of the Battletech lore, especially the Mechwarrior games, and seeing someone returning to the series to produce a single-player experience had my hopes up.

Battletech instead of Mechwarrior? Never thought I'd see the day.

Now tell my that customizing a 'mech will be as expensive, time-intensive, and chancey as it should be and I'll be working a second job for all the money I'll throw at this.

Stock mechs for life.

altnameJag:

Now tell my that customizing a 'mech will be as expensive, time-intensive, and chancey as it should be and I'll be working a second job for all the money I'll throw at this.

Stock mechs for life.

Or how about no custimisation at all? Would make omni mechs the actual technological marvel that they where... that is if the game is even set in the age where the clans where allready a thing.

Allways irked me that in most battletech based games customization was such a huge thing when in the lore it was very very rare. Only the most famous people got their rides customized and even amongst those they tended to stick to the standard loadouts. Wich makes sense when you think about it.. the maintanence costs for customized mechs must be horrible and keeping everything stocked a nightmare for quartermasters.

What i would like to know is if they will actually dare to put some of the reseen mechs in that originaly came from macross, like the marauder and the wasp. I still dont understand how a complete redesign can be still off limits when it looks nothing like the original (marauder for example)

Karadalis:

altnameJag:

Stock mechs for life.

Or how about no custimisation at all? Would make omni mechs the actual technological marvel that they where... that is if the game is even set in the age where the clans where allready a thing.

Allways irked me that in most battletech based games customization was such a huge thing when in the lore it was very very rare. Only the most famous people got their rides customized and even amongst those they tended to stick to the standard loadouts. Wich makes sense when you think about it.. the maintanence costs for customized mechs must be horrible and keeping everything stocked a nightmare for quartermasters.

What i would like to know is if they will actually dare to put some of the reseen mechs in that originaly came from macross, like the marauder and the wasp. I still dont understand how a complete redesign can be still off limits when it looks nothing like the original (marauder for example)

It's a gameplay thing. People just love customizing their character. On the other hand, non customizable mechs might be a good idea. I mean budget is always an issue on KS games and customization is rather expensive. Also I assume we are going to have a good sized team of people so no customization could cut down on a lot of that complexity. (Don't take a character creation system meant for one and then apply it to a team. You will end up with way too many choices.)

altnameJag:

Stock mechs for life.

What is the difference between Battletech and Mechwarrior? I thought they were the same setting and everything?

Vigormortis:

Atmos Duality:

Yes, I know. And yes, you are. ;) But I've always been an avid fan of the Battletech lore, especially the Mechwarrior games, and seeing someone returning to the series to produce a single-player experience had my hopes up.

You're not alone there; I'm just happy to see a BattleTech game that isn't an MMO.

Am I the only one who thought this was going to say Battletoads?

I am disapointed.

nomotog:

altnameJag:

Stock mechs for life.

What is the difference between Battletech and Mechwarrior? I thought they were the same setting and everything?

Battletech is to Mechwarrior what X-COM: UFO Defense is to The Bureau: X-COM Declassified.

I'm hoping this game will the the X-COM: Enemy Unknown version of Battletech.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here