World of Warcraft: Legion Expansion Revealed

Pages 1 2 NEXT

World of Warcraft: Legion Expansion Revealed

Blizzard Entertainment has revealed World of Warcraft: Legion, which adds a Demon Hunter class among several other features.

World of Warcraft might be over a decade old but it's still the gold standard when it comes to MMOs, as we learn anytime a new expansion is announced. This year's expansion should be no exception. Today at Gamescom, Blizzard Entertainment revealed World of Warcraft: Legion, introducing the Broken Isles, new artifact weapons, class order, and the all-new Demon Hunter class.

World of Warcraft: Legion takes place on the Broken Isles, a long-forgotten region of Azeroth. This region was once a powerful Night Elf civilization, but is now home to the biggest demonic invasion the world has ever seen. To stop the attack, player characters must gather ancient Titan relics which shaped Azeroth long ago and use them to seal the Legion's portal.

Outside of new story elements, Legion will include several new features and mechanics. Perhaps the most important of these are Artifacts, unique weapons of great power. But Artifacts aren't interchangable - each class and specialization has its own Artifact that must be found with a unique quest. Once you have an Artifact, it will level up alongside your character, unlocking traits for the weapon and character, including visual customizations.

Legion will also introduce Class Orders, which come together to fight the invasion since the Alliance and Horde won't work together. Order Halls act as new bases of operations for your entire class, where the player character becomes the leader over the course of Legion's story.

Of course the detail most World of Warcraft fans will be excited about is the Demon Hunter hero class. Demon Hunters will start the game as high-level characters, quickly able to dive into Legion's content. In fact, Demon Hunter characters begin their story with a prologue quest set ten years before Legion, detailing a final battle against enemy armies before their awakening in present day. Demon Hunters will naturally come with their own specializations, specifically Havoc for DPS characters and Vengeance for tanks.

On top of the above-mentioned features, Legion includes a cap increase to Level 110, new dungeons and raids, and a revised honor system. Combined, Legion will likely turn those subscriber numbers around and bring back players for yet another expansion. Blizzard is expecting to run Legion's beta later this year.

Does this mean Illadin Stormrage is still alive? I thought he died in the Burning Crusade?

I always assumed the Burning Legion was going to be mad about the Iron Horde's betrayal, but considering the Iron Horde was hijacked by the Burning Legion anyways, I'm surprised the Burning Legion is just coming back on it's own. I don't remember the timeline anymore, but I know that a Burning Legion invasion was stopped at the end of the Burning Crusade (You defeat Kael'thas again and stop Kil'Jaedan from coming through the portal), so I assume that WoW:Legion would only be 1 or 2 years later from that. I think the Burning Legion would have waited just a little more for a full-on invasion. I mean, they waited hundreds of years between the Defeat at Mount Hyjal to the rise of the Scourge. I thought they'd wait that long as well.

*sigh* Damn it.

I never thought I would see the Demon Hunter class, since I figured that was rolled into Warlocks. Guess I was wrong.

I don't want to go back. I really don't. But at the same time...every expansion does something to draw me back.

Mr.Mattress:
Does this mean Illadin Stormrage is still alive? I thought he died in the Burning Crusade?

I always assumed the Burning Legion was going to be mad about the Iron Horde's betrayal, but considering the Iron Horde was hijacked by the Burning Legion anyways, I'm surprised the Burning Legion is just coming back on it's own. I don't remember the timeline anymore, but I know that a Burning Legion invasion was stopped at the end of the Burning Crusade (You defeat Kael'thas again and stop Kil'Jaedan from coming through the portal), so I assume that WoW:Legion would only be 1 or 2 years later from that. I think the Burning Legion would have waited just a little more for a full-on invasion. I mean, they waited hundreds of years between the Defeat at Mount Hyjal to the rise of the Scourge. I thought they'd wait that long as well.

You should know by now that major villains don't just stay dead. Illidan should be dead...we DID kill him. But we killed Kael'thas too, and he came back.

As for your second point, I imagine that the Burning Legion is getting tired of the pathetic little world of Azeroth constantly killing their leaders and thwarting their plans. They've tried being patient, and failed. So they're tossing subtlety aside and going for brute force.

And they'll still pull some feeble excuse out their ass to justify why the Horde and the Alliance are still bickering like school children.

Legion eh? Sounds as if we may be getting to fight Sargeras finally. And if so, does that leave anything else for the Warcraft universe to throw at us? I mean Sargie is the big bad of lore, the ultimate evil, the mad titan... Basically the Thanos of Warcraft. If we're going up against the Legion again it only makes sense.
Now my other question is thus: With the events of Warlords, are they going to make that timeline canon, nullifying the Burning Legion's expansion lore and this becoming the post-WoD events or is this going to be another wibbily wobbly timey wimey... thing?
I hate time travel in games more than anything else when they don't set up any rules governing alterations to the timeline beforehand. I say this because it was supposed to be established with the Caverns of Time that altering the past had dire consequences to the future and then Garrosh goes and alters the past in Draenor which should cause a whole lot of shakeups in the present day...
Dammit Blizz, I love you guys but STOP LEAVING PLOT HOLES LYING AROUND WHERE I CAN TRIP AND FALL OVER THEM!!!

Sorry for the caps.

SlumlordThanatos:

Mr.Mattress:

You should know by now that major villains don't just stay dead. Illidan should be dead...we DID kill him. But we killed Kael'thas too, and he came back.

As for your second point, I imagine that the Burning Legion is getting tired of the pathetic little world of Azeroth constantly killing their leaders and thwarting their plans. They've tried being patient, and failed. So they're tossing subtlety aside and going for brute force.

One thing I can give wow lore is when a character dies they usually stay dead. the only reason Kael'thas came back is well his a necromancer, however Illidan coming back is not that surprising since a lot of the blizzard staff really felt they didn't give him is due when they originally kill them off.

Oh. Zombies and Daemons. How original and refreshing.

Morti:
And they'll still pull some feeble excuse out their ass to justify why the Horde and the Alliance are still bickering like school children.

I heard Thrall stealing Varian's milk will be the cause in this expansion. Varian really likes his milk.

Well, the Demon Hunter class will without pull me back in for a bit. Guess I should start saving up.

tf2godz:

One thing I can give wow lore is when a character dies they usually stay dead. the only reason Kael'thas came back is well his a necromancer, however Illidan coming back is not that surprising since a lot of the blizzard staff really felt they didn't give him is due when they originally kill them off.

No, Kael'thas is the Blood Elven Prince/King that serves the Burning Horde and is now partially demonized. You're thinking of Kel'Thuzad.

Elfgore:

Morti:

I heard Thrall stealing Varian's milk will be the cause in this expansion. Varian really likes his milk.

Well, the Demon Hunter class will without pull me back in for a bit. Guess I should start saving up.

I've been hearing that the Demon Hunters are only for the Elves (Night and Blood). It might not be true, but that's what I am hearing.

As for the "Childish" Bickering; Politics is hard and complicated. Several real life nations are still bickering at each other even when confronted with a threat like ISIS. Considering these people are completely different species, some of them alien to the planet, and some of them more aligned to be aggressive, it's no wonder they still hate each other. It's, in fact, surprising how well they got along until Garrosh took over.

tf2godz:

Meh...Blizzard kinda zig-zags on that. After all, there's the case of Anub'arak and the Scourge Princes, and we will almost certainly see the Lich King and Kel'thuzad return at some point in the future.

But..if Illidan is back, that probably means that Maiev Shadowsong will return as well. I'm interested to see how that plays out.

Mr.Mattress:

tf2godz:

No, Kael'thas is the Blood Elven Prince/King. You're thinking of Kel'Thuzad.

oh shit sorry.

SlumlordThanatos:

tf2godz:

Meh...Blizzard kinda zig-zags on that. After all, there's the case of Anub'arak and the Scourge Princes, and we will almost certainly see the Lich King and Kel'thuzad return at some point in the future.

But..if Illidan is back, that probably means that Maiev Shadowsong will return as well. I'm interested to see how that plays out.

me too but if it's anything like warlords it will start great and just end anti-climatically

SlumlordThanatos:

There is currently a Lich King; it's Tirion Fordring (The former Regent of the Humans in Vanilla WOW). He's keeping the Scourge from being hostile and/or aggressive. Now, it's possible that Ner'Zhul, the first Scourge leader who was "absorbed" by Arthas, could come back and corrupt Tirion, but right now there is no evidence of that. Since Kel'Thuzad is too loyal to the Lich King, whoever he is, Kel'Thuzad won't cause problems as long as Tirion won't.

Well, it looks like the "South Sea/Eye of Azshara" rumor wasn't completely wrong then.

The gamer in me is interested to see how the Demon Hunter'll turn out, the RPer in me is going "hoo-boy, this is going to be the Worgen Death Knight all over again isn't it?"

EDIT: Holy crap, we'll actually be able to get the one and only Ashbringer now? Has that old joke really come full circle?

Pfffffffffffffffff, Illidan again? I get that they are running out of lore villains, but why just recycle one that we already beat a couple of expansions ago?

Whats next? The Lich King again? We'd better not just start going around and around in circles.

Mr.Mattress:

SlumlordThanatos:

-SNIP-

There is currently a Lich King; it's Tirion Fordring (The former Regent of the Humans in Vanilla WOW). He's keeping the Scourge from being hostile and/or aggressive. Now, it's possible that Ner'Zhul, the first Scourge leader who was "absorbed" by Arthas, could come back and corrupt Tirion, but right now there is no evidence of that. Since Kel'Thuzad is too loyal to the Lich King, whoever he is, Kel'Thuzad won't cause problems as long as Tirion won't.

Bolvar Fordragon became the Lich King, not Tyrion Fordring. Last names are very close, and even though Tyrion was there when the Lich King died, Bolvar just kinda Deus Ex Machina'd himself there.

Because *reasons*

Mr.Mattress:

SlumlordThanatos:

Talk about a crossover battle: Tirion's Scourge vs. The Burning Legion: Whoever the Legion kills, Tirion just brings back as an undead and they're ready to re-enter the fray

Hmm feels a little bit like reusing the plot from burning crusade since we now have another Burning Legion invasion though this time it looks like they are going all out. Highly doubt this will pull me back in but like all expansions it will be interesting to see what this adds to the lore.

Also is that Illidan or is that just a stand in for the Demon Hunter class?

Zetatrain:
Hmm feels a little bit like reusing the plot from burning crusade since we now have another Burning Legion invasion though this time it looks like they are going all out. Highly doubt this will pull me back in but like all expansions it will be interesting to see want this adds to the lore.

Also is that Illidan or is that just a stand in for the Demon Hunter class?

No it's Illidan, this cinematic confirm that

Mr.Mattress:

From what is written on Illidan's (and partially Maiev's) Character Bios on the Legion homepage, Maiev moved Illidan's semi-immortal body (on the part of him being 'more than a demon/night-elf', according to Malfurion) to the Warden HQ, to be tortured/detained for all eternity.

Aeshi:
Holy crap, we'll actually be able to get the one and only Ashbringer now? Has that old joke really come full circle?

The live stream mentioned Turalyon and Alleria are finally making an appearance.... I had to face palm hard for that.

Wuvlycuddles:

The live stream mentioned Turalyon and Alleria are finally making an appearance.... I had to face palm hard for that.

Huh, really? I didn't watch the livestream. That actually intrigues me, I can see some good opportunities for some interesting story stuff there. I wonder how Sylvanas would react to meeting her sister again after so long?

shadowstriker86:

Mr.Mattress:

Talk about a crossover battle: Tirion's Scourge vs. The Burning Legion: Whoever the Legion kills, Tirion just brings back as an undead and they're ready to re-enter the fray

Technically, most of the Burning Legion doesn't die in the same sense most Azeroth peoples die; at least for the things like the Pit Lords and Dread Lords, when they die, they simply are teleported back to the Twisting Nether (That's why people like Balnazzar and Magtheradon still live). That's not to say some things like the Imps and Fel Guards can't physically die and then be resurrected as undead, but those are low tier species the Burning Nether could kill easily. Technically, the Burning Legion would beat the hell out of the Scourge; it was just the Burning Legion's immediate defeat and Archimonde's "Death" that got the Scourge freedom in the first place (That and Arthas defeated Illidan's Burning Legion aligned force in Northrend).

Laggyteabag:
Bolvar Fordragon became the Lich King, not Tyrion Fordring. Last names are very close, and even though Tyrion was there when the Lich King died, Bolvar just kinda Deus Ex Machina'd himself there.

Because *reasons*

Oh, my mistake. I haven't played WoW since Mists of Pandaria wouldn't install properly on my computer, and I stopped caring about the Lore after Garrosh Hellscream was defeated at the end of Pandaria.

Aeshi:

Wuvlycuddles:

Huh, really? I didn't watch the livestream. That actually intrigues me, I can see some good opportunities for some interesting story stuff there. I wonder how Sylvanas would react to meeting her sister again after so long?

Good question.

Given how hard she took Vereesa's turning-down of her invitation to join her in the Undercity, it's clear that even though she's undead, she still cares deeply about her living sisters. I imagine she'll be terrified of how Alleria will react to her being Queen of the Forsaken.

I'm also curious to see how Turalyon and Alleria will react to the 10+ years of events on Azeroth that they missed. The Third War and the Scourge, the Blood Elves joining the Horde, the Cataclysm, and so on.

I am very sceptical at this point. lets see how much gets cut before release.

Looks like... nothing really new to me. Stopped way back after raiding all of Cataclysm, and this just seems like same old shit. So no urges to start playing again :)

Aeshi:

Wuvlycuddles:

Oh please, it will be a cameo, they'll be a quest giver if you're lucky (and praise the honor of the Horde because that's a common trend for Alliance NPC's these days) then they'll be brushed aside for the next story of orccraft.

I am going to say there's nothing they could add to bring me back, but... those Feral Druid forms... fucking female belf demon hunters.... dat TBC feel....

Fuck you Blizz! STOP IT! I AIN'T EVER GOING BACK!

DX

Mr.Mattress:
As for the "Childish" Bickering; Politics is hard and complicated. Several real life nations are still bickering at each other even when confronted with a threat like ISIS. Considering these people are completely different species, some of them alien to the planet, and some of them more aligned to be aggressive, it's no wonder they still hate each other. It's, in fact, surprising how well they got along until Garrosh took over.

But there is a world of difference between a three way fued over which warlord controls a patch of desert and fending off a threat that is litterally threatening to destroy the whole world. The closest we have seen in reality is WW2 where the USA and USSR were able to play nice long enough to beat the Nazis.

Morti:
But there is a world of difference between a three way fued over which warlord controls a patch of desert and fending off a threat that is litterally threatening to destroy the whole world. The closest we have seen in reality is WW2 where the USA and USSR were able to play nice long enough to beat the Nazis.

And even that was teeth-clenched teamwork, since the Brits and the U.S. flat-out refused to share their advanced technology with the Soviets. Also remember that there were some that considered a preemptive invasion of the USSR right after the war was over, which mercifully got shot down.

The Horde and the Alliance will never stop bickering and fighting; they hate each other too much for that. But both sides are wise enough to avoid open warfare and to cooperate when it interests them.

Nice to see blizzard sticking to its lore with the demon hunter race combos however this is going to increase the race imbalance even further while screwing raid composition a lot unless fights are a lot more melee focused. WoD kinda feels even more pointless now we known it only occurred to enable this expansion to happen which seems to be a mix of every threat or idea the fans have wanted for a while atleast the diversity is refreshing rather than even more orcs or random old god / fire twilight guys.

Jesus... is it expansion time already? Didn't Warlords JUST come out like... last christmas?

Draconalis:
Jesus... is it expansion time already? Didn't Warlords JUST come out like... last christmas?

Yeah, but subs has dipped below the 7 million mark, so Bliz needs something to draw people back in.

They always make it look so tempting, but I can't escape the feeling I'll be burned again if I go back.

Think I'll keep looking forward for the moment regarding mmo's, but towards what I have no idea.

Zontar:

Draconalis:

Yeah, but subs has dipped below the 7 million mark, so Bliz needs something to draw people back in.

True enough, and expansions always were the easiest way to get people back in.

I, for one, will not fall for it again though. I got my warlock to level 100 after years of playing him since the days when BWL were first being released. I feel he is accomplished enough even if his armor is scrub for level 100.

Nothing I did in Warlords made me feel like I was doing something that mattered... so I stopped.

Another re-use of a theme? We've already seen plenty of Burning Legion stuff in Burning Crusade. Warlords of Draenor already brought back all the Draenei and Orc aesthetics we've also known from Burning Crusade already. Hence why I didn't feel like exploring nearly as much.

The same thing now applies to Legion. I haven't had the feeling of wondrous exploring since Mists of Pandaria. Pandaria at least felt completely new. I had the feeling that I continuously wanted to see what was around the corner, because there could be anything. In WoD and probably now Legion? Sadly no longer, and that these days is the only reason I want to play WoW.

I can't help but feel that they're a little lazy with WoW. I mean, suddenly bringing back Illidan? Really?

Draconalis:
Nothing I did in Warlords made me feel like I was doing something that mattered... so I stopped.

It didn't help that the story in the hand changed absolutely nothing on Azeroth, the status quo was completely preserved. Something with pocket dimensions or something, it was all very silly but it boiled down to the fact that everything that happened in Warlords of Draenor was purely contained on Draenor. And that, indeed, made it feel meh.

I suppose Legion at least has that going for it; at least it's on good ol' Azeroth again.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here