Marvel Promising Big "Shocker" in Invincible Iron Man 1

Marvel Promising Big "Shocker" in Invincible Iron Man 1

Invincible Iron Man 1

Brian Michael Bendis's Invincible Iron Man will apparently leave "the entire comic industry" in state of shock.

Earlier this summer, Marvel offered the world a first glance at its plans for its post-Secret Wars "All-New, All-Different" universe. The publisher unveiled 45 new books -a mixture of re-launches and new series- that would serve as the spearhead of its refreshed continuity. Not surprisingly given the character's popularity, one of the first books listed was Invincible Iron Man, a new series by writer Brian Michael Bendis that would continue the adventures of Tony Stark.

Hoping to give its readers a deeper look at the new book, Marvel today has put out a series of preview images showcasing pages and variant covers from the first issue. The preview pages themselves look as though they're from the opening section of the book and feature everyone's favorite tech genius billionaire working on what he hopes will be the Iron Man suit to end all Iron Man suits. "I finally found a way to include all my different armor modes into one," he says, after finishing it. The pages do more than just show off his new toy however. Marvel also stated that the new comic will further explore what "really happened" at the end of Secret Wars as well as the consequences of recent revelations about Tony's parentage.

In addition to stating that "questions will be answered," Marvel has also promised that first issue of Invincible Iron Man will include "a shocker of a last page that will have the entire comic industry talking!" Whether or not that winds up actually being the case is something we'll have to wait and see. Happily though, we won't be waiting for much longer since Invincible Iron Man 1 will be landing in comic shops on October 7th.

It's going to change the comic industry? Wow it must be shocking, will they be revamping an established character or bringing in a new hero or... oh, something they did back in the 90's for Spiderman and 00's for Wolverine.

How quaintly shocking.

Oh Wait, there will be a last page shocker? How could it change the comic industry! Will Tony be outed as gay for Captain America, will Tony not be Tony but a Skurll who took his identity in Vietnam, will Tony actually be in a coma and the whole Marvel Universe was a dream and the Avengers people from the Hospital, will Tony actually be a giant, sentient Dildo?

I don't really see how at this point the adventures of Venture Capitalist in his magic suit of armor can shock us. He's already been a villain, and he's already nearly collapsed into alcoholic disrepair. And killed people. Where do we go for shocking? I mean, we already have hard core sex (Sex Criminals and Saga) and Violent (the entire Image output), so where are we going?

Also that suit looks weird. It's a bit too baggy.

OMG! The call was coming from inside the suit the whole time!

We actually already knew this. It was revealed in the last series along with his brother-by-adoption Arno Stark who was physically crippled but smarter than even Tony.

What Bendis has said he's going to do is actually explore that concept further than "Oh, we'll that's a thing then."

Shiftygiant:
It's going to change the comic industry? Wow it must be shocking, will they be revamping an established character or bringing in a new hero or... oh, something they did back in the 90's for Spiderman and 00's for Wolverine.

How quaintly shocking.

Oh Wait, there will be a last page shocker? How could it change the comic industry! Will Tony be outed as gay for Captain America, will Tony not be Tony but a Skurll who took his identity in Vietnam, will Tony actually be in a coma and the whole Marvel Universe was a dream and the Avengers people from the Hospital, will Tony actually be a giant, sentient Dildo?

I don't really see how at this point the adventures of Venture Capitalist in his magic suit of armor can shock us. He's already been a villain, and he's already nearly collapsed into alcoholic disrepair. And killed people. Where do we go for shocking? I mean, we already have hard core sex (Sex Criminals and Saga) and Violent (the entire Image output), so where are we going?

Also that suit looks weird. It's a bit too baggy.

Wgat's more, we already have a story about a psychic at war with the world to make it a utopia. It's called "Imperium", and it's actually pretty good.

DeimosMasque:
We actually already knew this. It was revealed in the last series along with his brother-by-adoption Arno Stark who was physically crippled but smarter than even Tony.

What Bendis has said he's going to do is actually explore that concept further than "Oh, we'll that's a thing then."

My bad for the misinterpretation. I've fixed it up!

Not something I knew before the Death Battle episode, but not exactly a shocker. Adoption isn't a big deal and doesn't really change the character. Gah, now I can't help but thinking this is going to be coming -

The Mandarin: No Tony, I am your father.

Narrative causality now mandates Tony's real father be a villain. Of course, they could go in a 'completely original direction' and have him be some sort of clone.

And along with it came the least interesting Iron Man armor ever created.

Can I be honest... I don't know if I have ever felt anything Bendis did was that good. His name is constantly put all over everything and it almost drives me away at this point. I'm not going to be so bold as to say he is a bad writer or that I have read everything he has done, but his name doesn't carry nearly as much weight for me as some other writers do. Like, I see his name but has no weight for me. If you said Jim Starlin or J Michael Straczynski or Peter David, that would be a seller for me. But Bendis... never really cared for his work. But that is just me.

So what is Tony going to lose his beard and moustache in a fight and declare that he will build world-wide armor to protect everyone's face fuzz?

Given the design of the armour, I hope this means it comes with a theme song by Rooney.

Khrowley:
So what is Tony going to lose his beard and moustache in a fight and declare that he will build world-wide armor to protect everyone's face fuzz?

Apparently, even he fears the power of his beard. Check the panels.

So...they're promising a Spider-Man crossover?

Joking aside, well I don't really read comics, but color me interested, I'll keep an eye out for it.

I do like the alternate cover that looks like the Iron Man suit with Gundam V-Fins

I have seen the last page;

008Zulu:

I was going to guess, "trans-ethnic robosexual toaster-kin" but yours is just as likely.

008Zulu:

I can't even tell if you being serious or not, I just accept that as a path Marvel would pursue.

Liking the art style, but I can't help that picture 6 makes me think of the new armour looking very...anime. Not sure if I'm a fan of that.

It could be interesting, but somehow it might end up with Tony actually being the father of the Talky Toaster from Red Dwarf.

Hmm.

What if they kill him?
Either on the date or during his first deployment.

An inversion of the 'Invicible' name, though given another iron man will rise the naming remains appropriate.
The other Stark brother could take his place, which sounds like an interesting proposition.

I'd personally prefer a faked or inconclusive 'death' if they do indeed go with this option.
As much as I am interested in seeing the other stark brother and reading his rise as a hero, I'm reluctant to see the end of Tony.

Oh, oh, I know, he's gay now!
What? Comic industry still considers it groundbreaking.

Okay, my last prediction. Iron Man is killed by his suit, which uploads his mind. The last scene of the issue is tony realizing he's dead when the suit opens and his charred corpse falls out.

Best guess - Ultron downloads into the armor and Tony is turned into a woman, again, this time for realsies, since the suit is connected to his brain synapses. So the suit opens, and out comes a sexier version of Janet Van Dyne, Ultron's perfect woman.

Mikeybb:

I'd personally prefer a faked or inconclusive 'death' if they do indeed go with this option.
As much as I am interested in seeing the other stark brother and reading his rise as a hero, I'm reluctant to see the end of Tony.

It's a comic. Every death is "fake and inconclusive". Unless it's part of an origin story.

There is something unsettling about the crotch-bulge in the armour's robo-codpiece. Was it co-designed by Jareth the Goblin King?

RealRT:
Oh, oh, I know, he's gay now!
What? Comic industry still considers it groundbreaking.

Of course not.

He's a genderfluidotherkin having his realisation moment (later it turns out to all be hallucinations including the thing about his parentage)

Marvel, I'll cut a deal with you. If this first comic actually manages to shock me, in a good way. EX: Not genderbendering him or making one of the biggest playboys in Marvel gay. I will purchase the collected volumes when it comes out. I don't really care for Iron Man as an individual hero, I think he's boring. So I will spent most likely twenty bucks for a comic I don't care about.

Your move, Marvel.

Edit: At least if they manage to shock me, Bendis is writing it. I've enjoyed mostly everything I've read by him thus far.

Johnny Novgorod:

Mikeybb:

It's a comic. Every death is "fake and inconclusive". Unless it's part of an origin story.

Not really, most comic book characters who die actually do stay dead. Unless they are so overwhelmingly popular that they're forced to come back like Robert Downy Junior there.

Maybe Tony dies and the suit becomes sentient and takes his place. That would be a bit surprising

Eh, every time Marvel writers have announced a "Big Shocker" moment it's been something that supposedly changes the universe and it's either not well received or outright hated. Then it gets reverted a few months later.

So... whats up with his parentage exactly? I don't follow iron man so I've no idea what that part was about.

Is it going be an issue where Bendis interviews Tony with page after page of talking heads ending with Bendis announcing his retirement from comics?

No?

Well then I think I will keep just ignoring Marvel for my own mental and financial wellbeing.

Yay publicity. I never got why people can't keep anything secret anymore and let people be surprised on their own. It works a lot better when you have no clue something is there.

Someone say Shocker?

Wait, let me guess... Tony will "we really mean it this time for realzes" be killed off and replaced by his mysterious alternate universe counterpart "Tonita" who is a neurotic barely contained psychopath of a black woman who also has as many different nationalities and races in her genome as humanly possible and still be visible, doesn't remotely resemble the person she's replacing in any way shape or form and is determined to destroy everything comic book fans ever liked about Iron Man. Oh, and she's also a lesbian tomboy just to twist the knife deeper. Since they can't actually write anymore they might as well try to cater to while in actuality extremely offending and thus driving away as many demographics as possible right? She will also only last about a year tops before Tony miraculously comes back to life, subdues her instantly with a slap across the face "I'MA IRON MAN BITCH!!!" and becomes Iron Man again and everyone shall forget she ever existed.

You know, I was obviously just trying to sound as absurd as possible about this sort of thing but now that I think about it, I really really wish that the record of comic books wasn't so incredibly stupid as to make what I just wrote sound extremely plausible.

Damian Porter:
Someone say Shocker?

Specifically a Big Shocker. The Shocker will become the Yellow Hulk.

Seriously though, the 'big shock' will be Tony being replaced by a black guy or a lesbian, or he converts to Islam and realises he was transgendered or something. That shit is the modern day equivalent of Jimmy Olsen getting his brain swapped with a gorilla's - "CAN YOU BELIEVE WE DID THIS?! BUY THIS COMIC AND SEE FOR YOURSELF!"

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here