At Long Last, The 'Hateful Eight' Trailer Has Arrived

At Long Last, The 'Hateful Eight' Trailer Has Arrived

At long last, the trailer for Quentin Tarantino's The Hateful Eight has come with eight six-guns a-blazin'.

It's been a bit of an emotional roller coaster since the script for Quentin Tarantino's next Western, The Hateful Eight, was leaked atwixt the interwebs by some dastardly snake in the grass with a deathwish, pardon my French. At first, Tarantino threatened to shelve the project altogether. Then, he sued Gawker Media for posting said script on their website, Defamer. Then then, he dropped said lawsuit and more or less apologized for it publicly.

But the horse-drawn carriage was eventually righted, and back in April, a grainy teaser for the film once again leaked online. And today, we've been given the whole kit and kaboodle. The whole black-eyed Susan. The whole...I've run out of cowboy euphemisms.

The trailer has arrived, is what I'm getting at.

Starring (in order of grizzle) Kurt Russell, Michael Madsen, Bruce Dern, Samuel L. Jackson, Walton Goggins, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Tim Roth, and Damian Bichir as the titular eight, the film's official synopsis comes to us via Filmdrunk:

In THE HATEFUL EIGHT, set six or eight or 12 years after the Civil War, a stagecoach hurtles through the wintry Wyoming landscape. The passengers, bounty hunter John Ruth (Russell) and his fugitive Daisy Domergue (Leigh), race towards the town of Red Rock where Ruth, known in these parts as "The Hangman," will bring Domergue to justice. Along the road, they encounter two strangers: Major Marquis Warren (Jackson), a black former union soldier turned infamous bounty hunter, and Chris Mannix (Goggins), a southern renegade who claims to be the town's new Sheriff. Losing their lead on the blizzard, Ruth, Domergue, Warren and Mannix seek refuge at Minnie's Haberdashery, a stagecoach stopover on a mountain pass. When they arrive at Minnie's, they are greeted not by the proprietor but by four unfamiliar faces. Bob (Bichir), who's taking care of Minnie's while she's visiting her mother, is holed up with Oswaldo Mobray (Roth), the hangman of Red Rock, cow-puncher Joe Gage (Madsen), and Confederate General Sanford Smithers (Dern). As the storm overtakes the mountainside stopover, our eight travelers come to learn they may not make it to Red Rock after all...

You had me at "cow-puncher." And also everything before that.

Seriously, everything about this trailer looks incredible, and I'm not just talking about the glorious 70mm The Hateful Eight was shot in. Though if I must offer a critique in order to not come across like a Tarantino shill, it's that a certain Westernly figure was shockingly absent from a single frame. I'm talking about the self-proclaimed Poet Laureate of the West...

Source: Uproxx

Hateful Eight huh? Never heard of it, but the thumbnail looks like a Western, and I do love a good West- oh it's a Tarantino movie. Nevermind.

Looks decent.
Can't remember the last time I saw a western in theaters.
I suspect the answer is never...

Stupidity:
Can't remember the last time I saw a western in theaters.
I suspect the answer is never...

Well, then you missed out on stuff like True Grit and, if you call it a Western, The Assassination Of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford. Then there's Django Unchained, The Homesman (not seen that yet), and just around the corner there's Jane Got A Gun and The Revenant. It's a revitalised genre that can reliably produce some absolutely cracking films.

...however, The Hateful Eight trailer kinda makes it look a bit dull for a Tarantino film. Not that keen on the concept, or the aesthetic. Judging a Tarantino film on a trailer is generally pretty pointless, I reckon, so I'll wait for some feedback when it comes out. Sam Jackson tends to always brings his A game with Quentin, though, so I'm guessing it'll be watchable based on his performance alone.

so hard to tell from a trailer but that one didnt work for me. i have hopes its good i mean Tarantino can make a good movie when the stars align and as its been about 20 years now were about due! hmm ok inglorious had its moments.

Darth Rosenberg:
Sam Jackson tends to always brings his A game with Quentin, though, so I'm guessing it'll be watchable based on his performance alone.

He'd better, considering Quentin puts him in damn never every film he makes. :P

OT: Eh, I just can't get into modern-day westerns. The old-school "spaghetti westerns" are the ones that I like. There's something about the old film that just makes it feel more...I dunno..."Westerny". Clear, modern, digital filming just doesn't have that same gritty aesthetic that I associate with good/classic Western movies.

Interesting "twist" to have it take place in Snowman's Land instead of a dirty/dusty desert, though, so I'll give it that.

It make me think it's a sequel to Django Unchained.

In saying so I kinda interested since it kinda like a murder mystery like film.

Maphysto:
Hateful Eight huh? Never heard of it, but the thumbnail looks like a Western, and I do love a good West- oh it's a Tarantino movie. Nevermind.

It's only a new film from one of the most talented auteurs working today, with a cast of veteran character actors, that actually got Ennio Morricone to come out of retirement to score the thing.

Yeah, nevermind.

It's going to be another of those talk-y affairs, right?

Good. Those are always my favourite Tarantino movies.

FleeingNevada:
that actually got Ennio Morricone to come out of retirement to score the thing.

... Oh my.

RJ 17:
Clear, modern, digital filming just doesn't have that same gritty aesthetic that I associate with good/classic Western movies.

There'll be a digital release, but Tarantino won't actually be filming it digitally. Which isn't really a surprise, considering it's, y'know, Tarantino. He's not really been positive about it before.

RJ 17:
Eh, I just can't get into modern-day westerns. The old-school "spaghetti westerns" are the ones that I like. There's something about the old film that just makes it feel more...I dunno..."Westerny". Clear, modern, digital filming just doesn't have that same gritty aesthetic that I associate with good/classic Western movies.

Pft, I'd say some of the greatest Westerns ever made have been post-'90's, probably starting with Unforgiven. You're also not really thinking of the medium, so much as how it degrades, which isn't really fair on modern films. Had you seen a new print of a new Western back in the day, it wouldn't have looked nearly as "gritty".

Also, I'm pretty sure The Assassination Of Jesse James [BtCRF] and True Grit were both shot on film, not digital, and both featured one of the world's greatest DP's, Roger Deakins, so Westerns have never looked better, either (especially in Jesse James).

FleeingNevada:
It's only a new film from one of the most talented auteurs working today, with a cast of veteran character actors, that actually got Ennio Morricone to come out of retirement to score the thing.

Yeah, nevermind.

He has literally has made one good movie. Tarantino is overrated garbage.

FleeingNevada:
It's only a new film from one of the most talented auteurs working today.

Tarantino made one extremely good film in 1992. Since that high point, he has made precisely one good film, Jackie Brown. Aside from that it's been nasty and stupid exploitation films all the way.

Captcha: Shaken not stirred. Quentin Tarantino makes Ian Fleming look like John Le Carré.

Wow, I expected the comments section to be more positive for this. Is there where I should be instantly dismissive of all criticism as people trying to be edgy? I think that's how we do it.

The trailer didn't floor me, but neither did it bore me. I enjoy Tarantino films so will be checking this out when it arrives.

Darth Rosenberg:
Pft, I'd say some of the greatest Westerns ever made have been post-'90's, probably starting with Unforgiven. You're also not really thinking of the medium, so much as how it degrades, which isn't really fair on modern films. Had you seen a new print of a new Western back in the day, it wouldn't have looked nearly as "gritty".

Also, I'm pretty sure The Assassination Of Jesse James [BtCRF] and True Grit were both shot on film, not digital, and both featured one of the world's greatest DP's, Roger Deakins, so Westerns have never looked better, either (especially in Jesse James).

Pffft, well you're British so your opinion on good Westerns doesn't really matter now does it? :P

I'M JOKING! I'm joking, calm down everyone, I'm just being stupid...as per usual.

For an actual "rebuttal": I suppose then I feel that Westerns are like a fine wine and should be aged properly before enjoying. I don't have a problem with the plots or stories of more modern Westerns, as I said: I just prefer my Westerns with that old-timey "grit".

ThreeName:

FleeingNevada:

Yeah, nevermind.

Subjective opinion, not shared by the majority of the moviegoing public nor critics.

09philj:

FleeingNevada:

Tarantino made one extremely good film in 1992. Since that high point, he has made precisely one good film, Jackie Brown. Aside from that it's been nasty and stupid exploitation films all the way.

Captcha: Shaken not stirred. Quentin Tarantino makes Ian Fleming look like John Le Carré.

Interesting to dismiss something as visually, verbally and aurally compelling as Inglorious Basterds, Django or Kill Bill as just "nasty and stupid exploitation" when they're neither. They're violent, certainly, but such is life.

What's more interesting is that you'd dismiss the morality tale that is Pulp Fiction, which is all about the refusal of violence as an act of redemption, as nasty exploitation when it couldn't be further from it.

Wow, So I am not a Tarantino fan but normally I am in the minority. It feels weird to see so much unenthusiasm for this movie... Maybe this means I will like this one?

I for one find the movie damn interesting.

Will be on the hunt for special 70mm screenings. Tarantino has yet to make a movie that I don't love to bits.

09philj:

FleeingNevada:

Indeed. I don't know what is worse, that QT manages somehow to make violence dull or that everyone puts his copy & pasted collage bullshit on such high pedestals. Since when was "slick and cool" the same as "profound"?

Seriously. His films aren't bad, they're just empty. Like eating a whole pie to yourself.

FleeingNevada:

Subjective opinion, not shared by the majority of the moviegoing public nor critics.

Why is it that whenever anyone gives their opinion on anything, someone has to pull a Dude and do the whole "That's just like, your opinion, man" routine? We know. Not every post on subjective subjects needs a little asterisk next to it stating that the opinions are only that of the poster.

Also, argumentum ad populum? Really?

On topic: got halfway through the trailer, got the jist of it and went and did something else. Like most of his films, this will probably be skipped unless someone buys me a ticket or something.

Sounds a lot like Reservoir Dogs. Strangers holed up in one location, one of them isn't who he says he is...

Chewster:

FleeingNevada:

Why is it that whenever anyone gives their opinion on anything, someone has to pull a Dude and do the whole "That's just like, your opinion, man" routine? We know. Not every post on subjective subjects needs a little asterisk next to it stating that the opinions are only that of the poster.

Also, argumentum ad populum? Really?

On topic: got halfway through the trailer, got the jist of it and went and did something else. Like most of his films, this will probably be skipped unless someone buys me a ticket or something.

Because there isn't a point arguing with people like you who, without irony, use still the "cut and paste" argument when it comes to Tarantino, and try ramping up "cool" points by envoking tired ennui over how they couldn't even finish a barely two minute long trailer. Good for you.

FleeingNevada:
Because there isn't a point arguing with people like you who, without irony, use still the "cut and paste" argument when it comes to Tarantino, and try ramping up "cool" points by envoking tired ennui over how they couldn't even finish a barely two minute long trailer. Good for you.

Oh dear, it seems I've hit a nerve. This reaction is nonsensical but not entirely unpredictable in my experience. QT has such a following that even mild criticisms leveled against him are often met with open hostility. Oh well. Haters gonna hate, lovers gonna love, amirite? Keep speculating on my motives for posting though. I'm interested to see what gold you can mine from this post.

In any case, I'm waiting on an answer as to why people should like his films because they are popular.

Chewster:

FleeingNevada:

Oh dear, it seems I've hit a nerve. This reaction is nonsensical but not entirely unpredictable in my experience. QT has such a following that even mild criticisms leveled against him are often met with open hostility. Oh well. Haters gonna hate, lovers gonna love, amirite? Keep speculating on my motives for posting though. I'm interested to see what gold you can mine from this post.

In any case, I'm waiting on an answer as to why people should like his films because they are popular.

I don't need to speculate anything. You said it yourself:

Chewster:
his copy & pasted collage bullshit

So if all that you're taking away from a three decade long career of one artist is just that, it shows you're either not paying attention, or are willfully ignoring his merits as a director in favor of a simplified dismissal. Which is only strengthened by the "I can't even watch this whole trailer" jab.

So why bother with explaining anything to you? You've already made up your mind, and the decision to be so closeminded about the works of a filmmaker is only a disservice to yourself.

And nobody said that anyone needs to like someone because others do, that's entirely what you read into the text.

FleeingNevada:
I don't need to speculate anything. You said it yourself:

Chewster:
his copy & pasted collage bullshit

So if all that you're taking away from a three decade long career of one artist is just that, it shows you're either not paying attention, or are willfully ignoring his merits as a director in favor of a simplified dismissal. Which is only strengthened by the "I can't even watch this whole trailer" jab.

So why bother with explaining anything to you? You've already made up your mind, and the decision to be so closeminded about the works of a filmmaker is only a disservice to yourself.

So are we now denying that Tarantino essentially recycles genres, creates pastiche films and wholesale lifts cinematic techniques from previous directors? Because I find that rather difficult to ignore at this point. His first film was taken plot-point-by-plot-point from City on Fire (as well as being "inspired" by a handful of other films) and everyone fucking knows it. We could argue homage if we were so compelled but the line is pretty fucking thin on this one and QT doesn't even deny ripping off other styles. At least Scorsese had the decency to call The Departed a remake while reusing the entire plot of Infernal Affairs. My claim that QT copies & pastes a lot of his work doesn't seem like a particularly outrageous thing to say.

And none of this strikes me as being anything you don't already know. Speaking for myself, my biggest problem with him is that he doesn't live up to his potential. All of this lifting of other's work would be acceptable if the man had anything of substance to actually say. He doesn't make challenging films. They lack subtlety and nuance. Every film after Pulp Fiction has been an exercise in showing off how knowledgeable he is of obscure B and Asian cinema, slick violence and snappy dialogue. That's fine, there is nothing wrong with liking that but his films lack an underlying deeper meaning. It's all icing and no cake. They're empty spectacles. Which is a shame, because he clearly has a degree of talent. He's not bad, he's just hardly a genius. It seems like he is content to squander all his potential on clever banter and predictably shocking violence. Yippee ki-yay Mr. Falcon. Pardon me for asking for a bit more than that before I start handing out "genius auteur" badges. And say that as a person who rather enjoyed his first few films, though Pulp Fiction hasn't aged too well IMHO.

Maybe I just don't get it. Maybe he is a genius and his films fly way over my head, but somehow I doubt it. He did bring the English speaking world Christoph Waltz though, so I suppose we should be grateful for that. Sorry for writing so much, in any case. It's early here and I'm a bit tired.

And nobody said that anyone needs to like someone because others do, that's entirely what you read into the text.

OK.

FleeingNevada:

ThreeName:

Please clarify then. What is this if not saying "your opinion is just your opinion and also it's wrong because others disagree with you"? Throw in a "I'd like to see you do better" and we'd have the trifecta of poor Internet arguments. Again, we can assume his opinion is subjective since most are.

So what exactly what your point here? That's he popular and that his detractors are in the minority? I'd wager most people are aware of that.

This thread has been great fun so far.

"Hey this movie is a thing, it's got actors, and music, and is shot on film," "QUENTIN TARANTINO IS A HACK" "ummm, okay, why?" "BECAUSE HE'S A HACK, A GODDAMN HACK. IF YOU CANT TELL THAT HE'S A HACK YOU DONT KNOW MOVIES FOR SHIT!!!!!"

Oh elitism, never go away. You know what I do when I see a thread about something I have no interest in? I don't click on the thread, scroll to the bottom, and write a post about how little I care about the subject of thread, I just go on living my life.

Edit: does not apply to the guy above, those are some very reasonable points.

Chewster:

Maybe I just don't get it.

Yeah, that's most likely it. We should probably leave it at that and not waste each others time any further.

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.