Global Warming Solved: Scientists Find Ingredient That Stops Ice Cream Melting

Global Warming Solved: Scientists Find Ingredient That Stops Ice Cream Melting

British scientists have isolated an ingredient that can keep ice cream from melting in the summer heat.

As the U.N. convenes a closed-door meeting on climate change this week, British scientists are one step ahead of the game on averting the worst kind of heat-related catastrophe: next summer, your ice cream cone won't melt.

Food researchers, from the Universities of Dundee and Edinburgh, have isolated a naturally occurring protein, BsIA, that binds the air, fat and water in your triple scoop. In the end, this severely limits how quickly your frozen treat is going to melt.

The protein also keeps the ice cream frozen for longer, preventing gritty ice crystals from forming when you've kept the stuff in your freezer too long.

If you are interested in more nutritious food science news, you might like to sample some bacon-flavored seaweed.

Cait MacPhee, a professor of ice cream science at Edinburgh and leader of the study, told the Telegraph, "we're excited by the potential this new ingredient has for improving ice cream, both for consumers and for manufacturers."

Personally, I'm not sure what the big deal is here. People have told me of this supposed 'melting,' but I've eaten three bowls of ice cream since I started writing this article and haven't noticed a thing.

Now, if only someone could invent ice cream that doesn't fall out of the cone just after you've paid for it...

Source: Telegraph.co.uk

So all we gotta do is turn the glaciers into ice cream and all our environmental issues are solved?

Soooo does it taste weird? I've had stuff like that, that stops chocolate from melting and it always tastes awful.

Ahh! You have just reminded a person that they have praline carte dor ice-cream in their freezer. That person thanks you very kindly.

OT: So we can now melt all our planet's ice, then turn it into this tasty looking ice-cream and put it carefully and quietly back were it came from? Neat!

This WOULD be great, assuming it doesn't do anything to your health like weird side-effects. OR have any large-scale side-effects if used on ice itself.

That's cool, but frankly I need to know whether or not it works on soft serve to care any further.

FalloutJack:
This WOULD be great, assuming it doesn't do anything to your health like weird side-effects. OR have any large-scale side-effects if used on ice itself.

I really hope call this "Project Snowpiercer". The irony would be delicious after hearing about the Skynet satellite.

No Ice-9 references? I am disappoint :/

Seriously tho, if there was a way to add this into the ice in the poles, we might be able to at least stop the ice caps melting.
As for the rest of Climate change...back to the drawing board...

Dango:
That's cool, but frankly I need to know whether or not it works on soft serve to care any further.

I'm in the same boat. I rarely eat frozen yogurt to begin with, but that is usually because it is hot as hell year round in Georgia and it melts the moment you take it out of the freezer.

If there's one thing Dundee is good at it is...video games probably.

But science is a close second, so I'm not surprised to see University Of Dundee involved in this.

Protein-enriched non-melting ice cream? Truly, we live in a golden age.

Charli:
Soooo does it taste weird? I've had stuff like that, that stops chocolate from melting and it always tastes awful.

That's the big reason why chocolate bars never took off in Africa like everywhere else. The current state of cocoa is totally unacceptable. After they improve Ice Cream, these scientists need to make non-melting chocolate for the good of all humanity.

And Willy Wonka went to such great lengths to protect his secrets...

voltair27:

Are we old or something?
This is the first thing I thought of.

voltair27:

Oompah Loompahs are surprisingly easy to bribe.

Didn't Whirlpool and NASA solve the whole ice cream thing a long time ago?

10 Years later: New study links Ice cream preservative to colon cancer and erectile dysfunction.

Thanks science

Scars Unseen:
Didn't Whirlpool and NASA solve the whole ice cream thing a long time ago?

No, trust me. From personal experience, I can definitely say they did not. They made an entirely-new and weird kind of snack, but it's not really a solution.

Charli:

I dunno about that... they stick all that in the chocolate (Yorkie) bar we used to get in our ration packs. They weren't that bad at all...

Then again, compared to the rest of the shit and the fact that anything tastes good when living in a cold damp hole could be a factor in this.

But we already have ice cream (if only in name, but it's still ice cream! XD) that doesn't melt...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SozZHZAWS64

So it won't melt, but will it stay cold, as in ice cold?
No? Then nothing was solved. Better luck next time.

Anyone else find it rather silly that Cait MacPhee is a "professor" of ice cream "science"? Sure, other scientists focused on trivial issues such as curing diseases or ending world hunger, but not Cait! No, she's tackling the REAL issues that put us on the brink of crisis...ICE CREAM issues!

Diablo1099:
No Ice-9 references? I am disappoint :/

Seriously tho, if there was a way to add this into the ice in the poles, we might be able to at least stop the ice caps melting.
As for the rest of Climate change...back to the drawing board...

I really really doubt that. I don't think this stuff could keep ice from melting indefinetly, that's just not possible. I do think they mostly mean that it decreases the speed of the melting so dramatically that you are very very likely to have eaten the ice cream before it melts.
Not really something that could do anything against global warming.

Something Amyss:

voltair27:

Oompah Loompahs are surprisingly easy to bribe.

But how'd you get into his factory in the first place?

voltair27:

But how'd you get into his factory in the first place?

That was the tricky part. I had to stow away on a helicopter ride from Loompah Land.

My favourite local ice cream palour would want to see this.

4 questions:

1. How long does it extend the life of ice cream? 10 additional seconds isn't really a feat worth mentioning yet I have been given no metrics to tell me that it's any longer.

2. Is this protein something that impacts taste?

3. Is it expensive?

4. What kind of impact would eating this protein have on our bodies?

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here