Legendary and Warner Bros. Are Reuniting For a King Kong vs. Godzilla Movie

Legendary and Warner Bros. Are Reuniting For a King Kong vs. Godzilla Movie

kong vs. godzirra

Despite parting ways last year, Legendary Pictures and Warner Bros. studios announced plans to team up (sort of) for a meeting of their most infamous monsters.

Well, this is awesome news. Deadline is reporting that Legendary Pictures -- who parted ways with Warner Bros. last year to team up with Universal -- is shipping their Kong: Skull Island project over to their former partners in order to set up a collaborative "King Kong vs. Godzilla" feature down the line.

Legendary head Thomas Tull will be overseeing the transfer, and as part of the agreement, Legendary will also produce sequels to Gareth Edwards' 2014 take on Godzilla, as will Toho, the Japanese company who owns Godzilla.

Why all this transferring and whathaveyou? Well, in addition to owning the rights to the new Godzilla franchise (and partnering with Legendary to produce last year's aforementioned smash hit), Warner Bros. just happens to own the rights to King Kong. And while they have previously leased said rights to Paramount to make King Kong (1976) and King Kong Lives (1986), and Universal to make Peter Jackson's 2005 clunker, the Warner Bros. head brass would prefer for the next chapter in the Kong saga to remain under one roof. Specifically, theirs. Hence, this current deal which will benefit both parties.

Skull Island is currently still casting, but Tom Hiddleston, Brie Larson and Corey Hawkins are attached to star, and Samuel L. Jackson and John C. Reilly are also being tapped to fill major roles as well. Godzilla 2, is set for a June 8, 2018 release date, but few other details about the picture having been released thus far -- other than that it will bring Mothra, Rodan and King Ghidorah into the mix.

Even though this is dipping dangerously close to MCU-level planning/teasing, this is incredible news that any fan of either franchise should be amped to hear. In fact, I think there's only one way to celebrate this...with the punishing music of Gojira and this clip from the 1962 classic, King Kong vs. Godzilla, which remains one of my favorite movies of all time.

More on this colossal story as it develops.

Source: Deadline

Unless they're adding Matador Fury and/or Striker Eureka, I ain't interested. Call me spoiled but giant monster movies without giant robots to fight just seems like a waste of a monster.

Its like making a 40k movie that doesn't include Space Marines. Just a waste of source material and potential.

Silentpony:
Its like making a 40k movie that doesn't include Space Marines. Just a waste of source material and potential.

But I liked Event Horizon.

OT; Isn't Godzilla like a thousand times the size of King Kong? Pretty short fight.

Whats the chance it's going to be a lot more about the soldiers/reporters/whatever than the two main features?

"I have had it with these motherfucking monsters stealing my motherfucking screen-time!"

Nazulu:
Whats the chance it's going to be a lot more about the soldiers/reporters/whatever than the two main features?

"I have had it with these motherfucking monsters stealing my motherfucking screen-time!"

I hope it features a king kong brought back to life with necromancy powers. That could peek my interest.

On the bright side, I've been waiting twenty years for a Primal Rage movie. I was scared that Hollywood had forgotten.

Or maybe king kong and godzilla team up and confront the real monster. Man!

Now damnit, why can't Marvel, Sony, and Fox play nice like this? >:(

RJ 17:

Because Sony and Marvel are, and Fox has a reliable income from the X-men.

OT: well, I know next to nothing about this movie and am already sold.

Fox12:

Nazulu:

I hope it features a king kong brought back to life with necromancy powers. That could peek my interest.

On the bright side, I've been waiting twenty years for a Primal Rage movie. I was scared that Hollywood had forgotten.

Or maybe king kong and godzilla team up and confront the real monster. Man!

Necromancy huh? Kinky

As for facing man, it's not very often the losers ARE THE MAIN CHARACTERS!!!!!

Hahhahahhaa!!

Bleugh, call me when they make a crossover between Godzilla and Ultraman (and no, that one Ultraman episode with the repurposed Godzilla suit doesn't count).

Yay, another franchise throwing its hat into the shared cinematic universe ring...

Let's keep this up until no movie has any identity of its own left anymore, and all movies have been mixed together into one big grey porridge.

This is going to be cool, especially since the original only had to increase King Kong's size to match up with the 50 m Godzilla, but the new Legendary Godzilla is like 150 m high.
Still, I'll watch and likely enjoy this.

RJ 17:

Well, they are.

Casual Shinji:
Yay, another franchise throwing its hat into the shared cinematic universe ring...

Let's keep this up until no movie has any identity of its own left anymore, and all movies have been mixed together into one big grey porridge.

You can't really add this to that trend though. Because as even the article shows us, even back in the 60's these monster movie icons already met up. So this is, for them, nothing new.

Bryan Cranston ressurrects as giant zombie ninja with terrifying mutations. Only the double team kingZilla can take him down! With their power suit armor! If it has none of this then I am out.

008Zulu:

Silentpony:

But I liked Event Horizon.

OT; Isn't Godzilla like a thousand times the size of King Kong? Pretty short fight.

Depends on which Godzilla movie, he has varied from a small 50M In the 1954-1975 + 2001 movies, and the largest being 120-150M in the newest 2014 movie, King Kong is only 45M so unless they go for the old version instead of the more likely new version King Kong will be a 3rd of the size, guess they will just pump up King Kong to 150M aswell.

Well if they make it they better have lots of Godzilla and Kong in it, if not then they might as well not bother. The 2014 Godzilla movie was a disappointment for me as Godzilla was a cameo in a movie about soldiers finding a nuclear bomb.

Kong throws a strop, Godzilla steps on him. The end. Pad that out with 'human element'.

Cowabungaa:

Casual Shinji:

You can't really add this to that trend though. Because as even the article shows us, even back in the 60's these monster movie icons already met up. So this is, for them, nothing new.

Yeah, but I can bet you that'll be their aim for this. Superman and Batman also got together decades ago, but the reason they're doing it now for the movie is to set up a row of sequels. Hollywood's realized geeks go crazy for mash-ups, and they're going to exploit that to the fullest.

Casual Shinji:

Cowabungaa:

Casual Shinji:

Yeah, but I can bet you that'll be their aim for this. Superman and Batman also got together decades ago, but the reason they're doing it now for the movie is to set up a row of sequels. Hollywood's realized geeks go crazy for mash-ups, and they're going to exploit that to the fullest.

True, but then again; it didn't lead to comics turning into one big grey porridge. I don't see a reason why it would do that for movies either. What does seem to do is to bring the convoluted of comics into movies. And I'm not too sure if I'm happy with that. But at least Godzilla en King Kong have the advantage of being delightfully simplistic.

No...not again please god damn it no. You can get away with it in a silly 70's movie with men in suits but god damn it King Kong is tooo small and too DEAD! To fight Godzilla.

This pair of monsters is such a strange pairing, even for the 1962 version. I see these two as creatures of different genres. I see King Kong more as a fantasy creature, something that lives in a world of Harryhausen creations like living dinosaurs, larger-than-life animals, Cyclops and Skeletons. King Kong is fantastical, Godzilla is a force of nature. It's hard to describe, but these two just never mixed for me.

Personally this new movie will be a popcorn matinee, nothing for me to get worked up about.

Only if they add Gipsy Danger, to, err referee the fight. Someone's gotta be there to think about the people after all.

Godzilla versus the Hulk! "Puny lizard."

And who could forget Bambi vs. Godzilla?

Eeeeh...I don't know jack about this movie yet other than it's in production so I'll have to reserve judgement for now. That being said, if this movie takes a similar path as either King Kong or Godzilla than I'm sure we can look forward to a 3 hour slog mostly about a boring scientist, a boring film maker and their pet forlorn U.S. Marine with maybe 20 minutes worth of a fight sprinkled in via jump-cuts and shaky cam. I'm hoping to be proven wrong in the near future.

Chester Rabbit:
No...not again please god damn it no. You can get away with it in a silly 70's movie with men in suits but god damn it King Kong is tooo small and too DEAD! To fight Godzilla.

I'm with you, I very much dislike the first movie, for reasons other than the scale-down (or scale-up for Kong).
Mostly having to do with that nonsense that King Kong is powered up by electricity and Godzilla is weak to it. I'm aware "suspension of disbelief" should be capitalized, boldend, underlined, and so on when talkin' about the science of a monster movie, but that logic is backwards in it's own universe. Kong's a giant ape who should at least get burned a little, and Godzilla's charged through high-voltage wiring before.

But you know, as much as I dislike it, the (mostly) positive attitudes here make me want to be not so cynical; as long as Big G wins, I'm good.
Or if they repeat the ending of the first, at least show us Godzilla swimming away like in my headcannon, the original ending is a bit too much "Kong wins", which angers this fanboy.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here