The PC Master Race Appears to Have a New Anthem

Pages 1 2 NEXT

The PC Master Race Appears to Have a New Anthem

May our framerates be high and our temperatures low.

YouTuber Dan Bull has posted an anthem for the PC gamers among us, sarcastically pitting the master race against console pea... gamers. And according to Bull, the master race will "faq your face."

Mic drop, anyone?

As a PC-Console hybrid gamer, I've managed to avoid a majority of the spats regarding the superiority of one form of gaming over another - although I do often find myself tragically dependent on controllers, but that's another story. That doesn't change my appreciation for cute satirical raps about gaming. Especially when a nod is given to Zero Punctuation as the inspiration for the art style.

The comment section didn't contain the brawl I expected, rather it was comprised of people saying "We're all gamers at heart" and "Promoting pre-ordering? Really?"

Version 2 of the song, below, features minor changes. If you ask me, it was better than the first.

How did an insult created by ZP become the banner for PC gamers?

Good question. If I could predict the course of memes, I'd be much richer.

09philj:

Basic cycle of using an insult as an "ironic" self-descriptor until it sticks.

See also: neo-pagans calling themselves "heathens".

09philj:

Archon:
Good question. If I could predict the course of memes, I'd be much richer.

It's simple: the insult wasn't taken as an insult but instead a statement of fact that the PC gaming race is inherently superior to the peasants who play on console. Or something like that.

Either way it's a pretty decent tong and cheek phrase for the console wars and consoles vs PC debate that will rage so long as both continue to exist.

I think Flashgitz did it better:

For the record, I game on a PC...

If that's supposed to be the "anthem", I'm going console.

Naqel:
If that's supposed to be the "anthem", I'm going console.

Heh.

OT: Sooo...the statement that people harping on about the whole master race thing aren't full of themselves is...false, then? Yeah, thought so.

Yay for defining ourselves based on what we own!!

And no, I'm not what these sacks of shit refer to as a console "peasant". I have a gaming PC, too.

And yes, I'm mad. I understand that many folks use the term ironically. It doesn't change the fact that the phrase needs to die a painful death. It's not funny, never was, and based on how frequently it's brought up, it never will be.

It's just cringe-inducing, dim-witted, moronic garbage.

I don't know what made me chuckle more: That the song had some surprisingly clever lyrics or that so many people are actually taking the video seriously.

I guess it's true. The internet is no place for satire and sarcasm, because that song is swimming in satire, yet so many seemed to have missed it.

People need to lighten the fuck up. Christ, they're just media entertainment devices. Getting insulted by someone making a joke about a "PC Master Race" is beyond pathetic.

Ugh...

But whatever. I have a new phrase to utter whenever someone tries to drag me into a console-vs-PC debate.[1]

"My Oculus Rift wears an Oculus Rift with an Oculus Rift on its Oculus Rift!"

09philj:

The same way (at the risk of offending someone) 'nigga' became a term of endearment between friends and associates. "PC Master Race" was an insult bandied about against PC gamers, so PC gamers adopted the term ironically between themselves, and the rest is history.

DonTsetsi:

Tried watching that, but it started out with a blatant rip off of the opening sequence to the Honest Trailer videos, and a fake fart noise.

Just couldn't do it.

[1] For the record: I game on numerous platforms and systems, including consoles, but with my primary gaming platform being PC, people tend to drag me into the debate by lumping me in with "PC".

Wow. That song is not just funny, but actually really good. You know, I like that whole rap lyrics against a dubstep or some other EDM background motif. Can anyone recommend more songs like that? Mash ups doing that work too.

09philj:

The same reason the Nazi-satirizing joke "gingers have no souls" from South Park or the "America Fuck Yeah" song is taken earnestly by people now: humans are dumb.

SKBPinkie:

And no, I'm not what these sacks of shit refer to as a console "peasant". I have a gaming PC, too.

And yes, I'm mad. I understand that many folks use the term ironically. It doesn't change the fact that the phrase needs to die a painful death. It's not funny, never was, and based on how frequently it's brought up, it never will be.

For anyone wondering why PC Master Race is still a thing, this ^ right here. Between rational people, it's a fun bit of banter. When you come across overly sensitive people like this, it's even more hilarious on account of the level of salt.

Although I will say that while I've never known anyone that actually thinks less of people because of what gaming device they use, there is a very real disdain amongst PC gamers toward the consoles themselves and the companies behind them. Mostly due to the horrid ports, the holding back of game quality and certain negative features that have become commonplace due to console circulation.

edit: Oh and that song is hilarious. Second version is definitely the winner.

09philj:

For the same reason nerdy people call themselves nerds and black people call each other nigger these days. Taking an insult and making it your own is a slap in the face of the people that use it as an insult and can feel quite empowering.

9/10
It is funny. Very funny.

Would give it a 10/10 if it actually was about PC's real advantages that make it flat out superior to console gaming... but hey, I guess power is the easiest to demonstrate.

Like how developers forget AI cause graphics is what is easy to show on a trailer... I guess...

Yay, more masturbation material for the masturrace.

(Pretty well made video though)

1080 too small? That's my standard and I'm a PC gamer, guess with my bad eyes resolution doesn't matter much to me.

This is yet another awesome Dan Bull rap. How can some of you not see the obvious joking tone of this whole thing?

Fuck yeah! Suck it, console peasants!

09philj:

Very simple. the best way to pull the teeth out of an insult is to own it and make your own thing out of it. Complaining about it just makes people use it more. Owning it is very empowering and reduces it's original intended impact. There are a lot of people out there who could take lessons from that.

This is one of those videos I have to watch a few times while staring at different parts of the screen.

As far as the ZP label goes, I think most people who use the term "Glorious PC Gaming Master Race" are being just as facetious as Yahtzee was in the original video. It's a silly little bit of ball busting.

Xan Krieger:
1080 too small? That's my standard and I'm a PC gamer, guess with my bad eyes resolution doesn't matter much to me.

myea, one advantage of having bad eyesight I guess. For me it depends. 32 inch 1080p is quite horrid looking. I've got a quad HD 25 inch screen. Very smooth for the eyes. Installing quad HD on a 5 inch screen (smartphones) is dumb tho. 1080p on a 5 inch screen is already more the 300ppi. Someone with 20/20 vision supposedly can't see the pixels anymore at such density.

Adding anything more then just becomes a dick waving contest.

DonTsetsi:

DAMNIT I was gonna post that. well I'm gonna post the previous two and complete the triforce.

Xbox One

PS4

As for the song, meh; wasn't anything note worthy.

Well I still think this is a more fitting theme for the so called "master race". Really manages to sum up every console vs. PC discussion and ever "post rigz" thread inside twenty seconds, thus saving you the trouble of ever reading or participating in said time wasting sanity abrasives.

Listen to that while slamming your head in a car door and you can exactly replicate the sensation of spending more than 30 seconds on r/pcmasterrace.

The fact that things actually kept getting more and more petty after the absurd 16-bit console wars is just a profound source of headesk for me.

Listen to it for 1 sec each. No.

major_chaos:

Listen to that while slamming your head in a car door and you can exactly replicate the sensation of spending more than 30 seconds on r/pcmasterrace.

Dont hate us because of our beautiful rigs.
On another note your post is the reason pcmasterrace will never die. The amount of hate (including attention) it gets is so enormous and mindbogling unreasonable that people keep using it just to see the salt flow.

...well, of all the people who would do something like this, Dan Bull was pretty low on my list...
Good on him, I guess?

ron1n:

SKBPinkie:

For anyone wondering why PC Master Race is still a thing, this ^ right here. Between rational people, it's a fun bit of banter. When you come across overly sensitive people like this, it's even more hilarious on account of the level of salt.

Although I will say that while I've never known anyone that actually thinks less of people because of what gaming device they use, there is a very real disdain amongst PC gamers toward the consoles themselves and the companies behind them. Mostly due to the horrid ports, the holding back of game quality and certain negative features that have become commonplace due to console circulation.

Not sure you read my post properly. I don't care that people use it ironically. It still isn't funny. It's a lame attempt at humor. It's just as bad, if not worse than a lazy meme.

Also, "salt"? Really? Okay, then.

SKBPinkie:

ron1n:

SKBPinkie:

Pretty much this. Im the only pc gamer in my friends group, and we just have a laugh with it. Its when ppl start taking it too cereal and acting like your talking shit about their fave team........... the salt does flow hard. Does not matter wtf you play on but facts are facts. pros and cons for both but mostly pros for pc. Find it funny ppl still use the old "yeh but consoles are just plug and play, i dont have to dick around with drivers and updating shit and i dont have to spend like over £1000 just to play a few games"

[quote="Caramel Frappe" post="7.882241.22236068"]Eh ... I have a Xbox One and PC ... both have their uses. PCs got the sick modding community, but the Xbox One / PS4 / consoles have hardly any bending over to do, since PCs tend to make you slave over getting games to function (or just stable enough to run). Like it really depends on your PC too, because the average PC isn't meant for running games like The Witcher 3 so you need to blow money to run one game perfectly fine while the Xbox One (although less quality applied) can manage perfectly.

So again it depends on what you're willing to do, or what games you want. People bought the PS4 just to play Bloodborne and all.

I really dont understand this. Never have i had to dick around or know of anyone to "bend over" to get a game to work "stable". If you have an average pc from a store then yes, but other wise que ? My current pc build is older then the consoles but still out performs them. I might not be able to run witcher 3 on super high graphics but it will looks just as good if not abit better on my pc then it does on my mates xbox one.

09philj:

Considering the term PC Master Race is much older than ZP? I've been hearing it used since the late 80s on places like Compuserve. It wasn't meant as an insult originally. Which doesn't make it a stupid term.

Does this mean I'm have to 'tolerate' more morons bitching about shit that doesn't really matter as much as they think it does?

Cause I'm really all out of tolerance for morons whining about stupid shit.

That blood song is catchy. Not exactly fantastic but bloody catchy.

Wait. I thought this was the PC Master Race Anthem.

LetalisK:
Wow. That song is not just funny, but actually really good. You know, I like that whole rap lyrics against a dubstep or some other EDM background motif. Can anyone recommend more songs like that? Mash ups doing that work too.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1hkAIJnb2CSmm7SPJaPR-A

Here is a good start. Yes, its the same creator from that PC Master Race.

Xan Krieger:

Yeah, thats a bit of a thing. you basically have two options for PC gaming blistering [email protected] Frame rates or 60>FPS at 4K-5K, unless you're willing to dump £5,000+ into the GPUs and monitors that can handle both.

Personally I come down on the frame rate side.

I did not laugh, I wasn't even amused in fact, after listening to the song. Furthermore my ears were ringing from all the crappy music and ridiculous lyrics.

This anthem can go right back to faqqing someone else's face.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here