Happy 30th Birthday Super Mario Bros.

Happy 30th Birthday Super Mario Bros.

Check out this awesome interview with Shigeru Miyamoto from the 80's, when he first revealed the original Super Mario. Bros.

Today is a very special day in the history of video games. It's the 30th birthday of one of the most iconic games ever created: Super Mario Bros. While Mario himself technically first appeared in 1981's Donkey Kong (albeit, as "Jumpman"), Super Mario Bros. is undoubtedly the game that put him, and arguably, video games as a whole, on the map.

Nintendo is obviously super psyched about this milestone, and to celebrate has published a special interview with developers Shigeru Miyamoto and Takashi Tezuka, which includes some super-retro footage from the 80's, when Miyamoto first revealed his project.

The rest of the interview talks a lot about the recently released Super Mario Maker, explaining how the game makes a lot of things possible that were in the original Super Mario Bros. design documents, but too difficult to program back in 1985.

What was your first experience with Mario? Mine, not being quite old enough to have experienced the original 1985 game when it was released, was with Super Mario Bros. 2, the Mario game that wasn't really a Mario game...

Happy Birthday Mario Brothers! I've been happily playing them for 20 of those 30 years, and I plan to continue to do so for the foreseeable future.

Mr.Mattress:
Happy Birthday Mario Brothers! I've been happily playing them for 20 of those 30 years, and I plan to continue to do so for the foreseeable future.

Same here, although I started with SMB 1 instead of the contemporary Super Mario World - which I got around to on the GameBoy Advance. I got every Super Mario game since then soon after launch (except for the 3DS ones).

My first experience with Mario was playing the original Super Mario Bros. on the NES. My parents got us an NES for Christmas and it came with Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt. Followed Mario quite extensively since then.

Happy Birthday Mario.

After playing my second GameBoy Advance game, Super Mario Advance, I choose to play Super Mario Bros. Deluxe for GameBoy Color on my GameBoy Advance instead of Pokémon Crystal... To this day, I'm still debating if I made the right decision that day at Circuit City... :p

Other than that, I think that video finally convinced me of trying out Super Mario Maker's creation tool in my future...

Super Mario Bros. was the first video game I ever played. It's what introduced me to the medium, and what a brilliant intro it was.

Happy 30th, Mario! Here we GOOOOOOO!

I think it was playing Super Mario Sunshine at a friend's house. The first one I owned myself was New Super Mario Bros.

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.