Cancelling the Apocalypse - Pacific Rim 2 Is No More - Update

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

What Pacific Rim really needed was a prequel animated series or a set of mini-sodes similar to The Animatrix. They had been fighting these kaiju for years and we see very little of that.

Charcharo:
Truth be told... I did not care.

The original was, in my informed but subjective opinion... BAD. Both as a movie, as an action... and even as a "giant robot" story.

The again I am one of those assholes that think giant robots are stupid by default...

*How much I would have preferred a more... authentic one, with more action and actually showing the might of the planet's war machines instead of relying on inferior giant robots...

"Doesn't like fun. Doesn't understand robots."

Warner Bros needs to go back to making cartoons. We don't need another EA.

Coruptin:

Charcharo:
Truth be told... I did not care.

The original was, in my informed but subjective opinion... BAD. Both as a movie, as an action... and even as a "giant robot" story.

The again I am one of those assholes that think giant robots are stupid by default...

*How much I would have preferred a more... authentic one, with more action and actually showing the might of the planet's war machines instead of relying on inferior giant robots...

"Doesn't like fun. Doesn't understand robots."

*Sigh*

Here is fun. But one that follows human logic and not ... whatever the fuck people that believe giant robots make sense as combat machines... use.

WHy cant I have my big budget monster movie with real machines that make sense? But you people get your insane fantasy.
Same shit with Jurassic Park. You get random ass monster movie number #5663345 , I want a big budget movie with dinosaurs... :(

Jack Action:

Adam Jensen:

Zhukov:
If this means he can make another Hellboy movie instead then I ain't complaining.

I think that dream is dead. I don't understand why he doesn't Kickstart that project. Who wouldn't contribute to Hellboy 3?

Anyone who watched Hellboy 2.

Hellboy 2 was awesome. The thing is, it was made to be a second part of the trilogy, which is kind of obvious. It wasn't meant to be a standalone movie with a satisfying conclusion of its own.

Johkmil:
Why does this keep happening?

I'm still waiting for At the Mountains of Madness, for Azathoth's sake!

I need to stop being a Del Toro fan, there is too much pain.

I know.
Me too.
I feel it also.

Ron Pearlman was a sure fit for the shoggoth.

Would you believe it was promethius of all movies that cause ITMOM to be hiatused?
They felt it'd be too similar.

At this point fuck it. Let Donald Trump be president! It can't possibly be worse than this!

Adam Jensen:

Zhukov:
If this means he can make another Hellboy movie instead then I ain't complaining.

I think that dream is dead. I don't understand why he doesn't Kickstart that project. Who wouldn't contribute to Hellboy 3?

Hellboy 2s budget was 85 million, the highest funded film Kickstarter so far raised under 6 million. Even being optimistic, he'd still have to raise 10s of millions from investors

Yeah WB that's nice... throw a moneky wrench into this while funneling more money into the invariably doomed BvS

Adam Jensen:

Jack Action:

Adam Jensen:

Anyone who watched Hellboy 2.

Hellboy 2 was awesome. The thing is, it was made to be a second part of the trilogy, which is kind of obvious. It wasn't meant to be a standalone movie with a satisfying conclusion of its own.

Its plot relied entirely on everyone involved being a complete moron, from the elven twins to Liz to Abe, all the way to the people who split up the crown, and the imbecilic elves who created the Golden Army in the first place.

Though to be fair, most people in Pacific Rim were idiots, too.

First tron:leagacy 2 gets the axe, now pacific rim 2... why does everything i REALLY wanna see get canned lately? The first movie had major flaws to be sure but i love me some giant robots.

I'm not sure what a sequel could have brought us. Unlike Godzilla, we saw plenty hence why a sequel to the latter is required just so the title is legit this time around. I hope they follow through with King Kong Vs Godzilla at least.

major_chaos:
OK, A Del Toro project getting canned isn't a surprise, Pacific Rim not getting a sequel isn't a surprise. What is however very surprising to me is that a. Hellboy 3 is a thing anyone considered and b. people liked Hellboy. Really? Hellboy? as far as I can remember those movies hit basically all the same low points as Bayformers, except you could actually follow the shitty toothless CGI-fest action scenes and the lifeless forgettable (outside Perlman as Hellboy) cast was less skin peelingly annoying.

Same low points? So Hellboy and it's sequel were 3 hour product placement laden, overly edited bloated action maelstroms filled with sexist, racist and homophobic caricatures that had higher billing than the titular characters?

It's fine if you didn't like Hellboy but come on, let's be reasonable, they are not Bayformers in the slightest. Also, Hellboy II in particular, had a lot of really neat practical effects and make up, more than most films with CGI even.

I'm one of the many who really wasn't all that impressed with Pacific Rim. It had one great action sequence that was largely overshadowed by the fact that they destroyed the really cool robots in about 10 seconds, surrounded by about 90 minutes of filler that just seemed to drag on forever. That being said, the foundation for greatness was there, so I was really hoping they'd redeem themselves with a sequel.

But anyway, as someone mentioned, now maybe Del Toro can start looking at Hellboy 3. He really needs to get on it as well, when you consider the fact that Ron Perlman is 65 years old now. I can't imagine that wearing all that makeup and latex is easy at any age, but when you're old enough to collect social security it can be a nightmare.

008Zulu:
Lame.

Maybe China's movie industry will pick up the slack.

"China's movie industry"

I'm sure that particular industry is about as original as every other Chinese industry.

In other words, completely reliant on aping every one else's culture.

It's a weird film, the trailer, specifically the bit with the giant mech dragging an oil tanker through the streets wrote a massive cool cheque that the movie in the end just couldn't cash. It had so much potential but ended up falling a bit flat and as some else said it took the illogical course of killing off all the cool interesting mechs in the first big fight and replacing them with the two most boring ones. Then again

I am well on board with that opinion, I would rather see another Hellboy movie long before another Pacfic Rim.

Charcharo:
Here is fun. But one that follows human logic and not ... whatever the fuck people that believe giant robots make sense as combat machines... use.

Really they're only bad if you're fighting against other humans. Our weapons are built for fighting other humans within our current era. A tank is good for fighting humans that are shooting at you because tanks, well, tank conventional weapons fire. A kaiju is a giant monster thats far more mobile than any tank, can cover its physical weaknesses quite easily, can potentially use projectiles that will tear right through any tank's armour, is powerful enough to pick up a tank, is heavy enough to crush a tank and cause flooding when it emerges from water, can submerge itself to defend itself against incoming forces and can potentially fly which basically gives a tank nothing to work with. You can't expect technology made specifically for combating standing human governments to function appropriate against manufactured bioweapons who are a thousand times more mobile and durable than any human vehicle whose motivation is absolute destruction of population centers. Its apples to oranges.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good. Pacific Rim was awful. Everything about it was complete me-bait (kaiju, giant robots, Idris Elba...) and even I thought it sucked. It lacked any sense of tonal consistency, anything resembling smart or witty dialogue, and the all the big setpiece fight scenes occurred under conditions (at night, in the rain, under water) that made it hard to follow what was going on.

MarsAtlas:

Charcharo:

Really they're only bad if you're fighting against other humans. Our weapons are built for fighting other humans within our current era. A tank is good for fighting humans that are shooting at you because tanks, well, tank conventional weapons fire. A kaiju is a giant monster thats far more mobile than any tank, can cover its physical weaknesses quite easily, can potentially use projectiles that will tear right through any tank's armour, is powerful enough to pick up a tank, is heavy enough to crush a tank and cause flooding when it emerges from water, can submerge itself to defend itself against incoming forces and can potentially fly which basically gives a tank nothing to work with. You can't expect technology made specifically for combating standing human governments to function appropriate against manufactured bioweapons who are a thousand times more mobile and durable than any human vehicle whose motivation is absolute destruction of population centers. Its apples to oranges.

Oh God not this again.

Listen. There are laws of physics and mechanics. They ... for good or bad, mean that a robot is a MORONIC idea. So is a Kaiju. Square-Cube Law.
Material Science. It CAN NOT WORK. And even if it COULD work, then applying the same technology to smaller machines = better results.

The rest of your post is not paying attention to the movie and not knowing modern battle machines. A tank is fast as fuck. Much more maneuverable (thanks to its size) than those mechs or monsters.

The Kaiju's strength is VERY inconsistent. Extremely so. One minute a punch from the robot deals massive damage. The next a Nuclear Bomb does not kill it. And the very next, a jet stream kills it...
No logic.
All those plasma weapons and rockets they use on the Kaijus can be mounted on smaller vehicles and used en mass. Cheaper, faster, cheaper, more efficient, cheaper, better... makes more sense.

And last but not least... no creature can survive hellfire rockets or 120mm shells. Organic life can not do that. If getting punched in the face from a robot damages it, then a tank shell will basically... kill it outright.

And again. Done get mad. But these stupid movies are made. No one makes the stupid giant monster movie where reality ensues and our machines arent made fun of just cause someone decided big robots are cool... or hate the military or something...

By the way, some seem to think it was because of the possible new King Kong vs Godzilla film: http://www.movies.com/movie-news/king-kong-vs-godzilla-vs-pacific-rim-2/19195

If that is why... I'm ok with that.

Well that saddens me, I personally loved Pacific Rim, I'm not denying it was a stupid film but I enjoyed how stupid it was and the action was really cool...*sigh* I guess add another thing to the growing list of why I hate hollywood...

Johkmil:
Why does this keep happening?

I'm still waiting for At the Mountains of Madness, for Azathoth's sake!

I need to stop being a Del Toro fan, there is too much pain.

Honestly, I'm not sure I want At the Mountains of Madness anymore, especially if Tom Cruise is still the lead. I feel like anything he's attached to is just going to end up as some kind of horror I can't conceive and should remained buried in whatever frozen place it currently resides.

Did Pacific Rim need a sequel? No.

But when you consider all the money that gets dumped into bad sequels... All the hack directors and terrible writers who get greenlit... All the crap that will hit the screen between January and April...

That a director with as much imagination and talent as Del Toro can't get a movie together makes me sad.

Zhukov:
Meh. The first film was like 10 minutes of cool action surrounded by 80 minutes of cliche characters exchanging goofy dialogue.

Plus they killed off the interesting robots in favour of the boring ones. Weird.

I always wondered why they killed off as many robots as they did. What? Is nobody a fan of mass robot on monster fighting action?! Why does it always have to come down to the lone hero? /boggle

Pacific Rim was decent, but glad they didn't get a chance to fall off the precipice.

So Dredd 2 and now Pacific Rim 2?
What next? Jhon Wick 2?
-.-

That's really too bad.

The first movie was hyped to the moon and beyond but there was still genuine fun to be had. It's worthy of a sequel or another movie in the spirit of this concept (Gundam's for example).

Charcharo:
Oh God not this again.

Listen. There are laws of physics and mechanics. They ... for good or bad, mean that a robot is a MORONIC idea. So is a Kaiju.

Sure, but by our own standards that we set, not the standards of an invading alien force we know nothing about. They could very well just send nukes through the rift but they specifically used bio-weapons of mass destruction and terror.

Also it was established that they don't work very well. It took conventional military means a week to take down the first Kaiju that appeared through the rift, and that one was small compared to the ones that came in the future.

Square-Cube Law.
Material Science. It CAN NOT WORK. And even if it COULD work, then applying the same technology to smaller machines = better results.

Well, it did work. Did you not see them walking around in the film wrecking the place? Do you flip out every time in a science-fiction film that they do something that we couldn't do nowadays because of our current technological limiations? Three-thousand ton cloned bioweapons with armed biological emps that can survive the pressure of the ocean's depths and can even potentially fly. I think the aliens who engineered them could figure out how to make the physics work.

The rest of your post is not paying attention to the movie and not knowing modern battle machines. A tank is fast as fuck.

Not fast enough to keep away from a kaiju's projectile weapons nor agile enough to position it in a way to avoid damage nor is its weaponry precise enough to exploit physical weaknesses. The plasma cannon is nice but it lacks the dexterity and it leaves the tank in a more vulnerable position than a tank would. Kaiju are clearly intelligent enough to think in the context of a fight, they even plan distractions themselves so a distraction to open them up to plasma cannon fire would not be an effective long-term strategy/

Much more maneuverable (thanks to its size) than those mechs or monsters.

Those things are mammonths. They can burrow through the ground, they can swim, they can fly and they can walk right through a building as if it were tissue paper. A kaiju doesn't have the same limited manuverability in an urban environment that a tank would.

The Kaiju's strength is VERY inconsistent. Extremely so. One minute a punch from the robot deals massive damage. The next a Nuclear Bomb does not kill it. And the very next, a jet stream kills it...
No logic.

Sure there is. Vulnerability to different things. Bulletproof vests generally struggle to stop a knife.

All those plasma weapons and rockets they use on the Kaijus can be mounted on smaller vehicles and used en mass. Cheaper, faster, cheaper, more efficient, cheaper, better... makes more sense.

And a kaiju could retreat to under the water where they don't work, and the kaiju will have a water body to retreat to because all of their targets are adjacent to the ocean.

And last but not least... no creature can survive hellfire rockets or 120mm shells.

No creature we've encountered. Thats kind of the flaw in your logic, which is that you're assuming we know all there is to know and applying that. A fundamental part of most science-fiction is the introduction of something that doesn't currently exist, and honestly thats not a unreasonable thing to do given that our perception of how the universe works is skewed by the fact that we really only have one planet to use to try and understand it, and it applies especially so when we're talking about biological creatures since the only biological creatures we've encountered are the result of the conditions of the earth, which is certainly not representative of the entire universe.

MarsAtlas:

Charcharo:
Oh God not this again.

Listen. There are laws of physics and mechanics. They ... for good or bad, mean that a robot is a MORONIC idea. So is a Kaiju.

Sure, but by our own standards that we set, not the standards of an invading alien force we know nothing about. They could very well just send nukes through the rift but they specifically used bio-weapons of mass destruction and terror.

Also it was established that they don't work very well. It took conventional military means a week to take down the first Kaiju that appeared through the rift, and that one was small compared to the ones that came in the future.

Square-Cube Law.

Well, it did work. Did you not see them walking around in the film wrecking the place? Do you flip out every time in a science-fiction film that they do something that we couldn't do nowadays because of our current technological limiations? Three-thousand ton cloned bioweapons with armed biological emps that can survive the pressure of the ocean's depths and can even potentially fly. I think the aliens who engineered them could figure out how to make the physics work.

The rest of your post is not paying attention to the movie and not knowing modern battle machines. A tank is fast as fuck.

Not fast enough to keep away from a kaiju's projectile weapons nor agile enough to position it in a way to avoid damage nor is its weaponry precise enough to exploit physical weaknesses. The plasma cannon is nice but it lacks the dexterity and it leaves the tank in a more vulnerable position than a tank would. Kaiju are clearly intelligent enough to think in the context of a fight, they even plan distractions themselves so a distraction to open them up to plasma cannon fire would not be an effective long-term strategy/

Much more maneuverable (thanks to its size) than those mechs or monsters.

Those things are mammonths. They can burrow through the ground, they can swim, they can fly and they can walk right through a building as if it were tissue paper. A kaiju doesn't have the same limited manuverability in an urban environment that a tank would.

No logic.

Sure there is. Vulnerability to different things. Bulletproof vests generally struggle to stop a knife.

And a kaiju could retreat to under the water where they don't work, and the kaiju will have a water body to retreat to because all of their targets are adjacent to the ocean.

And last but not least... no creature can survive hellfire rockets or 120mm shells.

No creature we've encountered. Thats kind of the flaw in your logic, which is that you're assuming we know all there is to know and applying that. A fundamental part of most science-fiction is the introduction of something that doesn't currently exist, and honestly thats not a unreasonable thing to do given that our perception of how the universe works is skewed by the fact that we really only have one planet to use to try and understand it, and it applies especially so when we're talking about biological creatures since the only biological creatures we've encountered are the result of the conditions of the earth, which is certainly not representative of the entire universe.

Laws of physics and mechanics do not give a flying fuck about your technological level. They are above that. If an alien race SOMEHOW is capable of influencing them, then a "war" with them (which wont happen as they dont need us... at this point there is no reason for them to make war with us) cannot be won. No matter what you do.

You are giving me the in-universe justification. I am telling you directly that it is absolute dog poo. I know it, I payed attention to the movie.
So no go here.

Again. Physics dont work like that. That law. Is. Absolute. Our current limits will be pushed. But I can assure you, a giant robot will NEVER be a viable option.
Because even if you can make something like those from the movie.. then the OTHER REAL military machines you can MAKE with THAT material and THAT technology will AGAIN be better.

Ohh dear you have no idea neither how accurate nor how powerful modern battle machines are.
It can snipe a ball a kilometer away whilst moving. A kaiju is much easier than that mate...
What long term strategy? See you are even thinking in terms of 1v1. How about 50 elite armored machines with those plasma cannons supported by aircraft with the rockets? Cheaper than the stupid robot. MUCH more powerful.

All it maneuverability means nothing... when you are such a target... there is a reason Russians used to make small tanks. And Chinese still do.

So somehow the heat of a nuclear explosion is different ( and weaker) from that of a jet?
OK then...

Read more Strugatsky. You need that type of science fiction. Desperately.
Again. Laws of physics. And mechanics. Do not change. Just cause "lel advanced, lel " .

Charcharo:
Laws of physics and mechanics do not give a flying fuck about your technological level.

New technology is created to do a required feat that is otherwise impossible with what is at hand. Its basically how humans have progressed over time.

You are giving me the in-universe justification. I am telling you directly that it is absolute dog poo.

When then you must be a blast when discussing any science-fiction story in existence if you're unwilling to engage with hypotheticals.

Ohh dear you have no idea neither how accurate nor how powerful modern battle machines are.

Well they seemed to have a hard time taking down a giant monster that pretty clearly was walking around without any difficulty.

It can snipe a ball a kilometer away whilst moving.

Right, but see, there's this thing called "skin". If you can't break through the skin or cause pressure that damages the internals you won't do anything.

What long term strategy?

The fact that;

a) The invaders are clearly learning from their incursions

and b) The aliens are gradually ramping up the rate and severity of incursions. They're getting bigger, they're coming sooner and then they're eventually coming with more than one at a time.

See you are even thinking in terms of 1v1. How about 50 elite armored machines with those plasma cannons supported by aircraft with the rockets?

Well for starters, the rockets are already demonstrated to not be very effective, otherwise it wouldn't have taken a week to take one Class I kaiju down. Secondly, as I said, they can go underwater where the tanks wouldn't be able to harm them, they can burrow through the ground. They could even potentially fly. No human vehicle at present can match all three of those.

All it maneuverability means nothing... when you are such a target...

In a city with building blocking the sightline. Right in the film we've seen a few times the kaiju use the buildings as cover. You'd have to flatten the city to take that away, and thats the thing the kaiju is there to do in the first place. I mean it could work in theory a few times, but funding would undoubtedly get pulled for explicitly not doing anything to prevent the destruction they're meant to prevent in the first place, not to mention that you'd just run out of cities eventually in which a second wave would come through.

there is a reason Russians used to make small tanks. And Chinese still do.

Right, but they didn't fight giant, extremely maneuverable beasts immune to conventional weapons who only appear in urban areas next to the ocean.

So somehow the heat of a nuclear explosion is different ( and weaker) from that of a jet?

There's explicitly different kaiju. Thats the entire reason why they couldn't use the same conventional means to take down future kaiju and the same reason why Jaegers couldn't be used with reliable success over time.

MarsAtlas:

Charcharo:
Laws of physics and mechanics do not give a flying fuck about your technological level.

New technology is created to do a required feat that is otherwise impossible with what is at hand. Its basically how humans have progressed over time.

You are giving me the in-universe justification. I am telling you directly that it is absolute dog poo.

When then you must be a blast when discussing any science-fiction story in existence if you're unwilling to engage with hypotheticals.

Well they seemed to have a hard time taking down a giant monster that pretty clearly was walking around without any difficulty.

It can snipe a ball a kilometer away whilst moving.

Right, but see, there's this thing called "skin". If you can't break through the skin or cause pressure that damages the internals you won't do anything.

What long term strategy?

The fact that;

a) The invaders are clearly learning from their incursions

and b) The aliens are gradually ramping up the rate and severity of incursions. They're getting bigger, they're coming sooner and then they're eventually coming with more than one at a time.

See you are even thinking in terms of 1v1. How about 50 elite armored machines with those plasma cannons supported by aircraft with the rockets?

Well for starters, the rockets are already demonstrated to not be very effective, otherwise it wouldn't have taken a week to take one Class I kaiju down. Secondly, as I said, they can go underwater where the tanks wouldn't be able to harm them, they can burrow through the ground. They could even potentially fly. No human vehicle at present can match all three of those.

All it maneuverability means nothing... when you are such a target...

In a city with building blocking the sightline. Right in the film we've seen a few times the kaiju use the buildings as cover. You'd have to flatten the city to take that away, and thats the thing the kaiju is there to do in the first place. I mean it could work in theory a few times, but funding would undoubtedly get pulled for explicitly not doing anything to prevent the destruction they're meant to prevent in the first place, not to mention that you'd just run out of cities eventually in which a second wave would come through.

there is a reason Russians used to make small tanks. And Chinese still do.

Right, but they didn't fight giant, extremely maneuverable beasts immune to conventional weapons who only appear in urban areas next to the ocean.

There's explicitly different kaiju. Thats the entire reason why they couldn't use the same conventional means to take down future kaiju and the same reason why Jaegers couldn't be used with reliable success over time.

We humans. NEVER. Beat. The. Laws. Of. Physics. Or. Mechanics. Never.
Technology. Can. Not. Do. That.
IF you are on the level, where you can do that. Then. There. Can. Not. Be. A.War.

I love science fiction. You are very much mistaken here. But this is neither concept exploration nor is it... well, actual science.

The rockets that kill Mutavore did it quickly my friend... pay more attention.

Also, I dont mean only tanks... why concentrate only on tanks?

The same Cetegory 5 that survived a nuke also was killed by a jet stream... ....

Also not sure what they would do as a plot for Pacific Rim 2, but not sure if I care. GDT could just release 90 minutes of Gypsy Danger wailing on monsters with an oil tanker (or other unconventional weapons) and I would watch it. Hell, steal a page from Mad Max's playbook - give Gypsy Danger a flame-throwing guitar and I'd go see that movie every night for a week.

ColaWarVeteran:
What Pacific Rim really needed was a prequel animated series or a set of mini-sodes similar to The Animatrix. They had been fighting these kaiju for years and we see very little of that.

Yeah, it might be an unpopular opinion.
But I think the whole storyline about the first contact, the jaeger project and arms race should have beem explored more rather then expanding all fistfights by additional 10 minutes each.

A kaiju of the week series with an overarcing storyline and pacific rim as grand finaly......yeah, I would totaly watch this.

To be honest, I was seriously underwhelmed by Pacific Rim. Somehow, they managed to make a movie about giant robots punching monsters in the face utterly boring. If the movie had been a half an hour shorter, and the other mecha have actually been given a chance to shine, it may have been decent. I found myself checking my watch every ten minutes towards the end.

A sequel is unnecessary in the first place. I'm not sad to see this project fall by the way side. Sign me up for Hellboy 3, though!

FalloutJack:

crimson5pheonix:
I liked Pacific Rim, but what was a sequel going to do? Open TWO rifts? In the Atlantic?!

Mutant cyborg Jaeger gone wild.

OT: Oh, FUCK YOU, Warner Brothers! I set a curse of Yakko, Wakko, and Dot upon thee! Assholes...

I concur! http://33.media.tumblr.com/a59c99cda990a322c93b4ea13b1861da/tumblr_inline_mqhj1iqVts1qz4rgp.gif

Screw you too, Warner Brothers!

ArcaneGamer:

FalloutJack:

crimson5pheonix:
I liked Pacific Rim, but what was a sequel going to do? Open TWO rifts? In the Atlantic?!

Mutant cyborg Jaeger gone wild.

OT: Oh, FUCK YOU, Warner Brothers! I set a curse of Yakko, Wakko, and Dot upon thee! Assholes...

I concur!

Screw you too, Warner Brothers!

There ya go, mate. Mustn't forget your image tags. Show them what bears are made of!

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.