Super Blood Moon Eclipse Coming Tonight

Super Blood Moon Eclipse Coming Tonight

Look for a clear dark spot to camp out this evening as you'll witness an event that won't happen again until 2033.

Tonight, there will be a lunar eclipse of a full moon. But what makes this one special is that the moon will be 14 percent larger than normal and be a Blood Moon.

"Because the orbit of the moon is not a perfect circle, the moon is sometimes closer to the Earth than at other times during its orbit," said Noah Petro, deputy project scientist for the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Maryland. "When the moon is farthest away it's known as apogee, and when it's closest it's known as perigee. On Sept. 27, we're going to have a perigee full moon - the closest full moon of the year."

The last time we had a Supermoon eclipse was in 1982. We get supermoons every year, but an eclipse at the same time makes the event much rarer. The Blood Moon effect happens because the Earth's atmosphere scatters more blue light, so that the light reaching the lunar surface is predominantly red, depending on atmospheric conditions.

The eclipse, which will begin around 8:10 p.m. EST this evening and should last for about an hour and a half. If you can't get outside, NASA will be streaming the event on NASA TV.

And just so we are clear, this Super Blood Moon eclipse does not signal the end of days and a coming apocalypse. The Mormon church said so.

Source: NASA

the end is nigh

Behold! A Paleblood Sky!

Joseph Harrison:
Behold! A Paleblood Sky!

The red moon hangs low, and beasts rule the streets. Are we left no other choice, than to burn it all to cinders?

Okay, which one of you killed a giant spider?

So I guess this is a good time to be a waterbender?

Huh. First I find this weird red necklace, and now I get to see a solar eclipse. I must have the devils own luck.

OT-I'm not seeing it right now... It look like a normal moon to me at the moment.

I'm doing a program at my local observatory tonight.
Hopefully, it will as fun as the Venus Transit a few years ago.

Careful, now zombies can open doors!

Pretty sure someone at FromSoftware is beating their head on their desk, wishing they had planned the DLC release a bit better. :-)

-Dragmire-:
Careful, now zombies can open doors!

just put some dirt in front of your doors.

I guess I gotta go fight David and break my finger on that QTE again. Oh well, whatever helps pay for moon jewelry.

So, what time is that for the UK?

Awesome, it's cloudy as fuck in my area, glad to know that the weather decided I won't get to see such a phenomenal event.

Wait, that's a good point, if I'm downunder in the land of thunder, are we even going to see the super blood moon eclipse?

Loop Stricken:

Approx midnight, mate. It's starting its penumbral phase as of eleven minutes past midnight GMT. The full eclipse begins at 2:47am GMT, I think. Could be 2:57. That's when it'll be at its reddest, saving you the effort of sitting watching varying degrees of shadow cross its surface.

Thyunda:

Loop Stricken:

Approx midnight, mate. It's starting its penumbral phase as of eleven minutes past midnight GMT. The full eclipse begins at 2:47am GMT, I think. Could be 2:57. That's when it'll be at its reddest, saving you the effort of sitting watching varying degrees of shadow cross its surface.

*Looks out of window*

Still bright as feck.

So i looked around at time zones and stuff. I assume Australia is going to miss this? Or did i do something completely wrong with time zone conversions.

Loop Stricken:

Thyunda:

Loop Stricken:

*Looks out of window*

Still bright as feck.

Have a look now. Like a bite's been taken out of it.

Still waiting for the moon to come up, I'm worried about the cloud coverage around here. Stupid weather...

I saw the eclipse go to about 3/4, then overcast happened...

EDIT:

With a break in the clouds, I got to see a bit of it during the supposed peak time. Unfortunately, it was not red at all from where I am.

The live stream I was watching was far more impressive.

Stream is still on if anyone is interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGLNWiNXEyo

Clear sight, but it doesn't look as red as expected. Maybe it's the city lights.
Also, bad mobile phone camera does make it more red somehow.

It has been an eerily clear night, not a cloud. Got a very good look at it, managed to get a glimpse in my binoculars. It's very calm, since it's early monday morning. Hardly anyone out.

It was fascinating to see, considering how much of the moonlight just seemed to disappear. It's decidely more gloomy like this, and I'm pretty happy this isn't permanent.

Annnnd of course, despite the sky being 100% clear for the whole fucking week suddenly now it decides to rain. Can't see a damn thing from here.

I wanted to see it, but it's overcast where I am.

This kind of shit always happens to me. whenever there's a once in a generation celestial event going on, it decides to be overcast where I am. It's like I pissed off a sky god or something.

Valok:
Annnnd of course, despite the sky being 100% clear for the whole fucking week suddenly now it decides to rain. Can't see a damn thing from here.

Quite literally the same thing happened where I am. It was clear all week, then I woke up this morning and it was raining.

I got to see it in the middle and the end where the earth's shadow was retreating across it. That was quite a view really.

Pity the NASA stream was refusing to work for me.

That was pretty neat. Didn't catch the part where the shadow was moving across, but was outside for the eclipse itself and the shadow slowly retreating like the Dragon Reborn was after it.

NooNameLeft:
So I guess this is a good time to be a waterbender?

Bloodbenders, especially.

[/tooobvious]

I have played enough Terraria to know how this is going to end. I need some better equipment right now or it's over. Preferably a Rocket launcher, yoyo, a pair of wings and nice running boots.

Wasn't too bad, overall. My neighbors started summoning Shub-Niggurath at moonrise, but we just told 'em to consider keeping the noise down.

Canadian cultists of the Elder Gods are just so dang polite, anyway. The Goat with Her Thousand Young Herself was all "Can I maybe stop by and ravage your planet, puny human? If you're kind of busy, I can just come back in a couple thousand years..."

I put her down for a 4000 AD or thereabouts - just so you know.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here