BattleTech Kicks Butt, Reaches Kickstarter Goal in 53 Minutes

Pages PREV 1 2

Already thrown my cash at it but for the first time with a kickstarter I'm genuinely thinking of upping my pledge.
The dynamic elements of the mercenary campaign they're dangling just out of reach really appeal to me.

I do hope one day we'll see something like the old style of mechwarrior game again.
Mercenary campaign, lance management and all the fun of riding around on top of a poorly shielded nuclear reactor on stompy legs.
I know there's the mechwarrior online, but I really used to enjoy the singleplayer games of yesteryear for their campaigns.

major_chaos:
I hope that if this does well HBS will do what they did with Shadowrun and make several expandalones exploring other settings. Nothing wrong wrong with 3025, but I would love to see a story set during the 3050 invasion. Or hell, go out even farther with the Word of Blake jihad in 3067 or the schism that created clan Wolves-in-Exile in 3057. So many interesting stories to explore.

I'd be happy to see this game shift back to the old style of expansions over dlc.
Yearly releases that expanded on the campaign timeline, maps and mech-tech.

HBS is doing the developing? Hells-to-the-yeah. I might kick a few bucks their way. They've earned some geek cred. They can be loyal to fans, the universe, and produce a quality product.

Arnoxthe1:

MarsAtlas:

Arnoxthe1:
Right when I saw "turn-based", I lost all interest. Whhhhyyyyy... ?

Well they're taking the decades old tabletop game and translating that gameplay into a videogame. The last year has blown a lot of life into the franchise and live action gameplay could be in the cards.

Also, the time they set it in. If a poster is to be believed here, we won't have a massive crapload of cool stuff. Whhhhhhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyy?

3025 is probably the most popular time to play Battletech among the fanbase for the purpose of roleplaying. The events at the time can probably be quickest described as "three hundred years of Game of Thrones". 3050 seems to be the second most popular because thats when the Clan invasion begins.

I doubt they're going to make a real-time mech game though because, if THIS is so popular, I'm sure after it's finished, fans will be asking for another turn-based game instead of a real-time one.

I wonder if I'll ever see the equivalent of Mechwarrior 3 in this day and age again... XP

You know, I bet people like you are the reason why we got the Syndicate reboot, or why XCOM was going to be an FPS before the fans stepped in and demanded an actual successor.

Gundam GP01:

Arnoxthe1:

MarsAtlas:

Well they're taking the decades old tabletop game and translating that gameplay into a videogame. The last year has blown a lot of life into the franchise and live action gameplay could be in the cards.

3025 is probably the most popular time to play Battletech among the fanbase for the purpose of roleplaying. The events at the time can probably be quickest described as "three hundred years of Game of Thrones". 3050 seems to be the second most popular because thats when the Clan invasion begins.

I doubt they're going to make a real-time mech game though because, if THIS is so popular, I'm sure after it's finished, fans will be asking for another turn-based game instead of a real-time one.

I wonder if I'll ever see the equivalent of Mechwarrior 3 in this day and age again... XP

You know, I bet people like you are the reason why we got the Syndicate reboot, or why XCOM was going to be an FPS before the fans stepped in and demanded an actual successor.

The thing is though that unlike Syndicate and XCOM, Mechwarrior has been proven to work very, very well in a first-person perspective. It's one thing to be playing the original tactical game, yes, but it's another thing to be actually sitting in the cockpit of your 'Mech and leading the charge on an enemy base, or kicking the shit out of those Solaris pilots who think they're hot shit. Mechwarrior 4 Mercs is one of my favorite games of all time.

Still, I'm a bit upset we don't get a 3050 setting for the Clan invasion. No Clan attack means no awesome 'Mechs like the Mad Cats.

Spartan448:

Gundam GP01:

Arnoxthe1:

The thing is though that unlike Syndicate and XCOM, Mechwarrior has been proven to work very, very well in a first-person perspective. It's one thing to be playing the original tactical game, yes, but it's another thing to be actually sitting in the cockpit of your 'Mech and leading the charge on an enemy base, or kicking the shit out of those Solaris pilots who think they're hot shit. Mechwarrior 4 Mercs is one of my favorite games of all time.

Still, I'm a bit upset we don't get a 3050 setting for the Clan invasion. No Clan attack means no awesome 'Mechs like the Mad Cats.

I'm aware. MW:O seems like a really great game from what I've played of it. Pity it has all of the F2P stuff in it, but whatever, the mechanics are sound.

I'm just pointing out that this obsessive assertion that "If it ain't real time it ain't worth playing" is likely the exact kind of attitude that killed Syndicate and almost killed XCOM.

Gundam GP01:
I'm aware. MW:O seems like a really great game from what I've played of it. Pity it has all of the F2P stuff in it, but whatever, the mechanics are sound.

I'm just pointing out that this obsessive assertion that "If it ain't real time it ain't worth playing" is likely the exact kind of attitude that killed Syndicate and almost killed XCOM.

Just as a reminder, some people simply don't like certain types of games and thats okay.

I for one agree with the lamentation about a lack of single-player Mechwarrior campaign in the past fifteen years. Aside from the squandered opportunities to adapt from the rich lore, I just personally preferring single-player to multiplayer. Additionally my SO isn't willing to get into Mechwarrior Online like I am and dislikes strategy games because they're simply no good at strategy games. I'd love to be able to introduce her into Battletech with a fresh single-player campaign where she can play within her limits and doesn't have a difficulty curve that assumes you had played previous titles. I'm looking forward to this new Battletech installment, hoping that it has enough room to roleplay and while I'm very much looking forward to it I have to admit there's nothing quite like you yourself putting a PPC into the cockpit of a mech 30 tons heavier than yours.

Hmm, on the one hand Shadowrun Returns was a bit shit, but on the other Harbrained seem to have learned a lot from it and the expansions/sequels were a lot better. With Weisman actively involved as well, this certainly has potential.

Karadalis:
This game will only feature content from the Classic battletech era wich was pretty limited but much better balanced then the later time period.. wich made for good reading.. but terrible unbalanced gameplay.

This is part of the reason I prefer the single-player computer games over actual Battletech. Balance is mainly an issue for multiplayer games, where you want all players to be able to compete on equal footings. But in single player games, you generally want things to be unbalanced most of the time. With multiplayer, IS vs. Clan is tricky because Clan gear is objectively better in pretty much every way; you can play around with things like cost and availability, but it's never going to be easy to balance it all. But in Mechwarrior Mercenaries, having the player with crappy IS kit suddenly being completely outclassed by the invading Clans lets the game greatly increase the challenge while keeping things entirely in keeping with both the overall lore and the narrative of the game, unlike all too many other games where enemies keep getting tougher as you level up for no apparent reason. Essentially, introducing Clan and other improved gear allows for progression in a game that doesn't have any levelling.

In any case, since this is a PC game it's likely to get plenty of mods, so as long as the base gameplay is solid we'll probably be able to choose whichever equipment set we like.

I really hope the game will be moddable. It would be a nice touch to be able to use regular vehicles instead of just mechs - they really under-appreciated, I think. I mean, I had lots of fun wiping mech-only armies with just vehicles in MegaMek. I understand that this is a niche need though, so I'm resigned to grunt and toil for it myself... if modding is possible, that is.

Karadalis:

- there is only one size of PPC... and even later there are only 2 sizes.. normal PPC and snub nose PPC

There's also Light PPCs, which sacrifice damage for pod space/weight.
(Snub-Nose PPCs sacrifice long range for better short range performance.)

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Light_PPC

On the flip side, yes "Heavy PPC" is a thing, but not quite as one would imagine.
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Heavy_PPC

In practice it's just a really shitty Clan ER PPC (unsurprising, being an IS knockoff).

- no targeting lasers either in 3025 and targeting lasers are used for artiller and Arrow IV since LRMs are actually NOT guided missles in Battletech..

Uh...
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/LRM

Relevant Text:
Adapted towards the profusion of electronic jamming on the battlefield and the effectiveness of current armor designs, these self-guided missiles are unique for using a special armor-piercing explosive warhead.

This makes sense for given the presence of NARC Beacons and the Artemis IV FCS support equipment.
There is an alternative LRM type called "Semi-Guided LRM" that's designed to use TAG or C3.

The rest is accurate.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.