Cyberpunk 2077 to be "Far, Far Bigger" Than The Witcher 3

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Cyberpunk 2077 to be "Far, Far Bigger" Than The Witcher 3

CD Projekt Red's Jose Teixeira talks Cyberpunk 2077.

CD Projekt Red visual effects artist Jose Teixeira spoke with MCV about the studio's upcoming title Cyberpunk 2077, stating that the title is "far bigger than anything else that CD Projekt Red has done before. Far, far bigger."

"We're really stepping into the unknown in terms of complexity and size and problems we encounter," Teixeira said. "If anything, working on The Witcher 3 was a really good and often brutal learning experience. Cyberpunk is going to benefit greatly from it. I can almost guarantee it."

The Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt is a sprawling open world RPG, with the script consisting of over 450,000 words, and the title's two expansions are nearly the size of The Witcher 2.

Studio co-founder Marcin Iwinski previously stated that Cyberpunk 2077 will be a "true RPG," writing "We are known for storytelling, and big game worlds, and so we're taking all what we've learnt from previous three Witcher games, as well as the open-world aspect, and applying it to Cyberpunk 2077." Iwinski later stated that The Witcher franchise "needs some rest," saying "The past 10 years the team has been working on swords and castles and medieval Slavic monsters, so I think it's time for some guns, androids, and some ammo. And a necropolis. So this is what we'll be working on."

Cyberpunk 2077 was revealed in 2012 and promises a "multi-thread, non-linear story" with a significant amount of player choice along with multiplayer features. The game does not yet have a firm release date.

[Source: MCV]

SooooooooooOOoooooo looking forward to this.

This will be a very interesting one to watch.

Giving me some Far Cry Blood Dragon vibes mixed with Deus Ex and some Mass Effectness

The big question for me is whether it will have a predefined character like Geralt or if we get to create our own instead.

A KissLike Smile:
The big question for me is whether it will have a predefined character like Geralt or if we get to create our own instead.

The most I could find on it was that we're quite likely to get to choose between a male and female predefined character, but have much more options for customisation for that character.

And I look around a fair bit. They're being very quiet about this.

My question is will Ciri make an appearance, as was hinted at in Witcher III?

Freya be praised! I can't wait for an actual gameplay trailer of this. Bigger than The Witcher 3. That sounds absolutely mental.

This pleases me greatly. These developers know what they want and now they have a fair bit of money alongside their skillset/experience to achieve their vision. It is most certainly overdue for a good cyberbunk epic, truth be told i'm already sold.

and a necropolis

This has me more excited for this game than I probably should be. It would be amazing to see this take off because I love me some cyberpunk.

There's just something about the dystopian future that Cyberpunk paints that I adore as a setting, I guess that's why I utterly adore the Shadowrun setting. Either way, with CDProjekt Red you generally get a solid, ambitious game so finger's crossed for what this turns out to be. And here's hoping that the work environment that I have heard bad things about doesn't hurt the game's quality.

I'm just looking forward to more authentic games with the cyberpunk feel.

The only thing I remember from that teaser trailer was that the woman had a strange lack of pants. Then again, CD Project has never been good with women, so I guess it's par for the course.

Yay?

I know a lot of people are fixated on bigger being better, but there is such a thing as outstaying one's welcome and I for one actually like being able to finish games within six calendar months of starting them.

Bigger =/= better. Witcher 3 is huge.

CDPR, just nail the writing of themes and characters this time. You did well for a video game with Witcher 3, and your remediation made Game of Thrones Season 5 look even WORSE in comparison.

But Sapkowski's work was a big thing for you to chew on. Too big even. This time, at least you do not have us literature elitists to deal with, but NAIL THE EFFIN THEMES!!1!

And dont do OOC characters JUST to pamper the gamers.

Ahh, more good news about this game. Slow burn but it's going to be worth the wait!

The problem with getting bigger is that there are more empty spaces or a repeat of content over and over. I hope for bigger in terms of variety of content rather than just terms of size.

That doesn't mean I'm not got some excitement for this.

Are console releases still being discussed with this game, or are they just sticking to PC this time around?

Either way, I'm looking forward to seeing more from this game. Cause everything I've heard so far is awesome.

Most YouTube teasers for games the past years left me bored or glaced over, but this!!!!
Yeah, that really piqued my interest allright!

"Personal Responsibility", song? Indeed, WHO goes to jail when a machine you bought kills people by accident?
Like that Google Car... it's gonna be in a crash one day ;)

Elfgore:
Are console releases still being discussed with this game, or are they just sticking to PC this time around?

Last I heard, it's planned for PS4, Xbone, and PC.

Aiddon:
The only thing I remember from that teaser trailer was that the woman had a strange lack of pants. Then again, CD Project has never been good with women, so I guess it's par for the course.

That's also a holdover from the PnP RPGs; Talsorian was never shy about cramming the books full of line drawings of ladies with huge 80's hair and skimpy futuristic outfits.

It's actually part of what I'm most curious about with 2077. The good editions of Cyberpunk (2013 and 2020) clung tightly to being true cyberpunk, rather than post-cyberpunk or whatever you'd classify Shadowrun as (cyberpunkish?). But from the brief shots it looks like they've done away with a lot of that aesthetic, as well as things like needing to hook up your briefcase-sized deck to a landline in order to hack. I'm wondering how much of the license is actually going to be used, and how much is just going to be painting familiar names onto unconnected corps and locations.

EDIT: Found this video with Mike Pondsmith, where he talks about how 2077 is an evolution of what came before, building on past events and also changes in the genre. I'm pretty sure I'm going to like 2077 either way, but it does seem like it's going to be very different to 2020.

I was looking forward to this for a millisecond there. I would love me some Cyberpunk!
I just need to know a few things..

1. Will it use Over-the-shoulder camera?
2.(Feels like) Analog-stick controlled character?
2. Any type of quicktime events? I count Arkham's combat as such.

At least I don't have to ask about DRM. ,)
As soon as I know the answer to those questions I know if I should be slightly excited.

Zhukov:
Yay?

I know a lot of people are fixated on bigger being better, but there is such a thing as outstaying one's welcome and I for one actually like being able to finish games within six calendar months of starting them.

Yeah.

As much as I loved The Witcher 3, and I did really love it, I haven't been able to finish it, as playing a game for three weeks straight tends to make me wanna boot out out of my console regardless of quality.

Zhukov:
Yay?

Remember that the world does not revolve around you. ;) I, for one, am highly looking forward to games that I can keep playing for months on end. I still have not gotten around to beating the Witcher III, yet, and I am loving that.

You know, normally i would call bull***t on similar claims from a gaming studio because of course they always say it's going to be bigger and better and so on.
But CDPR allready had 2 Projects with some crazy ambitious stuff in it and it worked out great in both cases, so i'm sold.

I hope they don't overdo it. Witcher 3 is great, but it has been 46 hours and I'm still in Velen.

Honestly I'd rather they focus on gameplay, none of the witcher had me enthralled at the gameplay.

Doom972:
I hope they don't overdo it. Witcher 3 is great, but it has been 46 hours and I'm still in Velen.

Get used to that, the only other main gameplay area is Skellige. It's just they're both massive.

Barbas:
This will be a very interesting one to watch.

If only it wasn't slated to release in 20-freakin'-17.

Like come on guys, announcing a game that tickles all my fancies in 2012 that's still five years away?! That's just cruel...

Well that dinnged my excitement quite a bit. TW3 was already a bit too large and I never finished it because the gameplay got stale long before the game ended. When I got to the... viking island place (cant remember the name. Skelisomething?) and saw the quest log I had fucking finally cleared out suddenly fill up again with no signs of stopping I threw up my hands and quit on the spot and I haven't played since. If CDPR really wants to make a game that freakken huge they better actually have the gameplay diversity to back it up this time, rather than just spamming you with quests that become a chore.

They're going to feel real stupid when 2077 comes around and their vision of the future turns out to be wrong. I bet there wont even be hoverboards in 2077.

One one hand, I like cyberpunk, and can't wait to see what they can do.
On the other hand, the "much bigger" than a game that is already too big for me does not fill me with excitement. I know for people with a lot of time, bigger than Witcher 3 seems like a pipedream, but to me it just sounds daunting.

Thunderous Cacophony:
But from the brief shots it looks like they've done away with a lot of that aesthetic, as well as things like needing to hook up your briefcase-sized deck to a landline in order to hack. I'm wondering how much of the license is actually going to be used, and how much is just going to be painting familiar names onto unconnected corps and locations.

I dunno...those blades on femborg look like modified bigripps from interface magazine 1, the gun the cop has at the end looks like a sleekified militech crusher (which was heavily inspired by Appleseed IIRC) and I'm pretty sure there were plenty of small cellular decks in the MRB, let alone the following chromebooks. Seemed fairly spot on for my interpretation of it. Except the cased ammo.

Yeah, as you said working out the 2020/2077 thing is an odd one, Mike mentioned the end of the 4th corp war in some of his material for the game, then giving it about 55 years after...stands to reason it'd be different. No mention of V3 though, thankfully.

Witcher 3: Wild Hunt was my first CD Projekt Red game and I had a great time with it. Looking forward to more with the DLC coming out and I wouldn't mind to see what a cyberpunk necropolis would look like.

I just hope they don't spread themselves too thin. They didn't with the Witcher 3 in my opinion, so hopefully Cyberpunk 2077 will just be a larger game given the same treatment.

Zykon TheLich:
I dunno...those blades on femborg look like modified bigripps from interface magazine 1, the gun the cop has at the end looks like a sleekified militech crusher (which was heavily inspired by Appleseed IIRC) and I'm pretty sure there were plenty of small cellular decks in the MRB, let alone the following chromebooks. Seemed fairly spot on for my interpretation of it. Except the cased ammo.

Yeah, as you said working out the 2020/2077 thing is an odd one, Mike mentioned the end of the 4th corp war in some of his material for the game, then giving it about 55 years after...stands to reason it'd be different. No mention of V3 though, thankfully.

You're right about deck size: I just double checked, and the book says, "The standard cyberdeck is about the size of a paperback book, is made of plastic and weighs about a half-kilogram." (2e Core book) I guess my memory is going in my old age.

But I meant aesthetics in a more general sense. We're not going to have to use a phone number to hook the decks up to the Net, and you're not going to get the cheap anarchist thrill of avoiding long-distance charges. Similarly, there's never going to be a moment when you gather around the screamsheet box waiting for the morning edition to find out how the media corps are going to play the night's adventures.

I agree that it did look like that lady(?) had BigRipps, or some variation thereof, but it was all very smooth and sleek. It's not the case where it's big chunks of metal bolted to your flesh by some back-alley doc, where the most prominent 'ware you'll see in a night is some Solo with an ex-Soviet military arm and a tangle of wires going from his skull to his smartgun, or a pack of Kennedys beating the shit out of some leathers-and-lurid-mohawk-toting boostergang using nothing but their Wolvers. The future of 2077 is designed by Apple, and while it does look cool it also looks very... modern I guess is the best word. CPR didn't double down on the vision of Gibson and Sterling, they stepped into a very different looking future envisioned by today's artists.

Though I say on record that I will buy 5 copies of this game if it comes with an alternate graphics mode where everyone is rendered as off-brand GI Joes.

Abomination:
My question is will Ciri make an appearance, as was hinted at in Witcher III?

Oh yeah, I forgot she mentioned visiting a futuristic sci-fi world. Well even if she is in it I doubt it will be anything more than an Easter egg.

waited 25 years for the defining cyberpunk game. hope they dont screw it up

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or