Hail, Caesar! Trailer: The Coen Brothers' Next Masterpiece?

Hail, Caesar! Trailer: The Coen Brothers' Next Masterpiece?

The final entry in the Coens' "Idiot Tetralogy" looks like a fever dream.

Blood Simple. O Brother, Where Art Thou?. No Country For Old Men, Fargo, and Raising Arizona. In the 31-odd years that the Coen brothers have been making films, it would be hard to pick even one entry in their canon that was anything less than spectacular. But with the trailer for Hail, Caesar! which dropped earlier today, it looks like they might have finally outdone themselves. In a good way.

Reteaming with Where Art Thou's George Clooney in the lead role of Baird Whitlock -- a dim witted, charming, "George Clooney" type -- and bringing a whole mix of incredible faces into the mix, Hail, Caesar comes off like a cross between a Wes Anderson film and...I dunno...Bowfinger, maybe? Either way, it's already jumped to the top of my "Must See" list.

The official synopsis comes to us via the trailer's Youtube page:

Four-time Oscar®-winning filmmakers Joel and Ethan Coen (No Country for Old Men, True Grit, Fargo) write and direct Hail, Caesar!, an all-star comedy set during the latter years of Hollywood's Golden Age. Starring Josh Brolin, George Clooney, Alden Ehrenreich, Ralph Fiennes, Jonah Hill, Scarlett Johansson, Frances McDormand, Tilda Swinton and Channing Tatum, Hail, Caesar! follows a single day in the life of a studio fixer who is presented with plenty of problems to fix.

My God, dat cast. Here I thought Triple 9 boasted the greatest ensemble of any movie in recent memory, then this thing comes along and slaps me right in my big dumb brain. Brolin, Fiennes, Swinton, ScarJo, the ever-shapeshifting Jonah Hill...I can only nerd so far out, is what I'm saying.

As for the film itself, I like Vince Mancini's description of it the best, "an entire movie that looks like the dream sequence in Big Lebowski." Considering that Hail, Caesar! will mark the first time that Lebowski cinematographer Roger Deakins will be working alongside the Coens since True Grit, it's hard not to see the influence at the very least.

Hail, Caesar! opens February 5th, 2016. Head over to the movie's official website to learn more.

For the people who love Fargo, like me, the television series by the same name is well worth watching. The second season is set to start in a few days.

I'm not sure that Josh Brolin can hold the film together with such a high powered cast. Jeff Bridges could but Brolin is no dude.

ScarJo looks delectable in this, can I just say.

Johnny Novgorod:
ScarJo looks delectable in this, can I just say.

She's got that classic Hollywood look so when she's actually in a movie set in that time period she looks even more stunning. She's a dream :)

What's there to say. It's a Cohen Brothers movie and the cast is fantastic. It's a must see.

JaredJones:
snip

This movie does look interesting. I am concerned about the release date. Movie studios don't usually release movies they have a lot of faith in during February. I'll keep an eye out for it.

Another thing, I like the Coen Brothers as much as the next movie fan. However, The Coens had released some bad movies in the past. Intolerable Cruelty, The Ladykillers, and The Hudsucker Proxy are three I can think of off hand. They are not very good with light comedies.

For my immediate Coen Brothers fix, I am looking forward to see Bridge of Spies. Written by The Coens and directed by Steven Spielberg.

KissingSunlight:

Another thing, I like the Coen Brothers as much as the next movie fan. However, The Coens had released some bad movies in the past. Intolerable Cruelty, The Ladykillers, and The Hudsucker Proxy are three I can think of off hand. They are not very good with light comedies.

I liked Intolerable Cruelty and the Hudsucker Proxy. I'm huge Cary Grant fan and George Clooney was stealing Cary Grant's act more than usual in Intolerable Cruelty. Jennifer Jason Leigh was doing Katharine Hepburn in The Hudsucker Proxy and again I'm sucker for Katharine Hepburn. The Coen brothers have been trying to do a screwball comedy but have never got the male and female lead right. As for the The Ladykillers, that film sucked. You can't remake that one set in the US, the original was just too British.

JaredJones:
it would be hard to pick even one entry in their canon that was anything less than spectacular.

The Ladykillers and The Hudsucker Proxy. There, that was easy.

Burn After Reading was also a giant piece of crap. So I art wary.

Wait! Wait!

Burn After Viewing.

albino boo:

KissingSunlight:

I liked Intolerable Cruelty and the Hudsucker Proxy. I'm huge Cary Grant fan and George Clooney was stealing Cary Grant's act more than usual in Intolerable Cruelty. Jennifer Jason Leigh was doing Katharine Hepburn in The Hudsucker Proxy and again I'm sucker for Katharine Hepburn. The Coen brothers have been trying to do a screwball comedy but have never got the male and female lead right. As for the The Ladykillers, that film sucked. You can't remake that one set in the US, the original was just too British.

I like to give to The Hudsucker Proxy another try. I saw it a long time ago. I didn't understand what they were trying for. As for Intolerable Cruelty, it would be intolerable cruelty to watch again. I haven't seen The Ladykillers. I was really surprised, after watching the trailer, that it was a Coen Brothers movie. So, I'll watch that one as a "How bad can it be?" curiousity.

There are three "news" stories by Jared Jones on the front page right now and EVERY ONE OF THEM includes his personal opinion.

He actually does think The Escapist is his personal blog.

Travis Fischer:
There are three "news" stories by Jared Jones on the front page right now and EVERY ONE OF THEM includes his personal opinion.

He actually does think The Escapist is his personal blog.

I think some of staff are probably too busy to read the article comments. If you want to get through to them reliably, you should try the contact form to leave feedback.

I've just realised I've never really sat down and watched a Coen Brothers Movie.

And judging by that trailer, I really need to change that...

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.