Marvel May Have Snatched Fantastic Four Movie Rights - Update

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Marvel May Have Snatched Fantastic Four Movie Rights - Update

Fantastic Four Better

If the rumor mill is accurate, Fox returned its Fantastic Four license to Marvel in exchange for X-Men's TV rights.

Update: Current statements from both Marvel and Fox state that Fantastic Four's film rights still belong to Fox for the time being. That said, Spider-Man went through a similar back-and-forth for months, so who knows? Perhaps this will change in the near future.

Original Story: Marvel Studios has done an incredible job of proving it can make better superhero movies than many companies it once sold film rights to. But this year marked another shift - it proved good enough to get those film rights back. In March, it formed a partnership with Sony bringing Spider-Man to the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Now the rumor mill suggests that Fantastic Four will be next, bringing with it Doctor Doom, Silver Surfer, and even Galactus.

According to the rumor, Fox and Marvel came to an agreement: Marvel would get Fantastic Four's film rights in exchange for X-Men's TV rights. While the information hasn't been confirmed, it does match recent superhero news. Fox just announced it would produce Legion and Hellfire, both based on the X-Men universe. Fantastic Four's associated characters and villains would return to Marvel's wheelhouse if accurate.

While we don't know if this deal is true, it makes an incredible amount of sense for both parties. X-Men is the only Marvel franchise to qualify as a non-Marvel Studios success, so Fox isn't about to give the rights back. Meanwhile, Marvel hasn't had much luck with televised X-Men projects - Wolverine and the X-Men was the last great example, but it didn't have the audience to warrant a second season. Then there's Fantastic Four, which suffered an abysmal film reboot earlier this year that Fox wants to distance itself from. And Marvel is very capable of spinning success stories from superhero franchises few see the appeal in.

Until we learn specifics, what I'm curious about is how the Fantastic Four could possibly join the MCU when it's already filled with super-geniuses. Here's my theory: Marvel's First Family disappeared into a dimensional portal in the 1960s, only to return in present day with superpowers. Ideally that would bypass spending half the film on another origin story, while dropping them into a new world filled with Avengers and aliens. Whatever happens, I find myself eagerly awaiting more news on the nature of this deal.

Source: Den of Geek, via Bleeding Cool

Yesssssss. I honestly don't care much for the Fantastic Four, but Doom is one of the best villains ever created, and Silver Surfer is pretty cool too.

This is the best possible outcome for everyone. I can't wait to see how it turns out.

P.S. Thanks

Oh thank god. Fantfourstic is by far the worst superhero film I've seen, its gonna be great for the MCU to welcome in the likes of Doom and Galactus. Oh, and the Fantastic Four themselves, thats good I guess.

Hasn't this rumour been around a few times before now?

Shane Ledford:
Yesssssss. I honestly don't care much for the Fantastic Four, but Doom is one of the best villains ever created, and Silver Surfer is pretty cool too.

My exact thoughts. Also Galactus can be pretty awesome.

why is Real Time Strategy one of the tags?

english isnt my first language but isnt the tittle supposed to say might instead of may?

martyrdrebel27:
why is Real Time Strategy one of the tags?

Clearly because of the tense struggle where Fox and Marvel battled using their franchises as in-game units....

Nah, I have no idea where that came from! But it's been pulled.

I hope it's true, Fox have had enough attempts to get it right. Still I'm not sure I could make the Fantastic Four interesting, they are fairly dull but have amazing villains, still if anyone can do it marvel probably knows the people to make it work.

This is how I'd do it..

Covarr:
This is the best possible outcome for everyone. I can't wait to see how it turns out.

Nah, best possible outcome would be all rights (Fantastic Four and X-Men) revert to Marvel. And Sony's executive team spontaneously explodes. Literally.

Sadly the world and characters surrounding the FF are far more intriguing than the FF themselves. Hopefully Marvel will just gut FF of its other IPs and the archaic and unpopular quartet can just fade into the background.

Good. X-Men and the other Marvel Universe should remain separate, the two worlds never meshed well. I don't care much about the Fantastic 4, but I'd love for Doom to show up as a Big Bad. I only hope they can do him justice, no live action version has managed it well yet.

FF would be great as a tv show as it has the drama of the family dynamics and of course crazy stuff. I just dont think Fox will take risks with the Xmen show. It has so much scope for crazy mutants, crazy powers and a tons of great story opportunities. But i dont think they will take full advantage of the xmen property.

Ukomba:
Good. X-Men and the other Marvel Universe should remain separate, the two worlds never meshed well. I don't care much about the Fantastic 4, but I'd love for Doom to show up as a Big Bad. I only hope they can do him justice, no live action version has managed it well yet.

I agree completely. As a kid I read X-Men comics, and until Marvel's first big success with Iron Man at the theaters the X-Men were the only Marvel property I really cared about. But 8 years after Ironman now that I'm fully invested in the Marvel Cinematic Universe... introducing the X-Men or more specifically 'mutants' into it just makes things waaaay to crowded. Also with all the world building that's been done for the MCU I'm not sure how you'd suddenly introduce the concept that mutants: X-Men, Magneto, Sentinel program, etc have been sharing the same space as Shield/Avengers/etc all along.

Something Amyss:

I know I posted a topic in the Off-Topic discussion about this earlier today. :P

RJ 17:

Something Amyss:

I know I posted a topic in the Off-Topic discussion about this earlier today. :P

I haven't browsed any of the forums. I mean this same general rumour from probably months ago. The reason for the specxulation seems to change, but it's always something similar.

I hope it's true, that gives Marvel the rights back to their most interesting vilains which is absolutely important.

Update: Current statements from both Marvel and Fox state that Fantastic Four's film rights still belong to Fox for the time being. That said, Spider-Man went through a similar back-and-forth for months, so who knows? Perhaps that will change in the near future.

This is exactly why I hate "maybe's" being passed off as news. Journalism right? Jesus fucking christ.

You know, if what it took for marvel to get FF back was a slight extension to the scope of the rights fox has with the xmen, I think they'd be both getting a good deal.

Xmen is the only franchise fox has managed any success with and exploring that success as an Xmen cinematic universe would be more beneficial than holding on to a property they just can't get going.
Certainly more beneficial than hoping one day to shove the FF and Xmen together to create an imitation of marvel studios success in their cinematic universe.

FF is something fox just can't get to work.
Better they let it go somewhere that could while at the same time focusing on what they have done right.

I can't help but feel that Marvel/Disney will get all their characters back just in time for the bottom to fall out of the MCU. They're upping and upping the number of movies being chucked out, three a year is pushing it and people can get sick of a good thing.

On the other hand, more characters out of the hands Fox is good news.

This news (and the debunking of it) really makes me wonder what Marvel is getting out of allowing Fox to make 2 series for FX in the X-men universe, because that isn't something Fox had the right to do and required Marvel, and there's no way Marvel would greenlight it only for the money of co-producing two series. There's something more here, and the reason the rumour happened was it made sense, but now that it's been debunked that begs the question what was the deal they made for the two series to be greenlite?

Shane Ledford:

Come now. Doom's not the bad guy. Reed's the bad guy they really need.

So long as the X-Men stay with Fox I'm not too fussed with what characters Marvel gets from them. The MCU has really started feeling like an assembly line of films lately, but it's not like Fox has ever demonstrated much care about the fantastic four themselves anyway.

If Fox won't give up the Fantastic 4 movie rights back to Marvel, Marvel should just threaten to cancel the X-Men TV deal to force Fox's hand.

I hope they don't try to force F4 in to the current Infinity Stone story arc they have going right now.

The Fantastic Four has long been one of my favorite comic books and it's especially good when they go for that throwback pulpy adventure feel to their storylines and mostly stay out of whatever lame drama is going on in the main 616 universe, so if they do manage to realize a F4 movie then I hope that Marvel has the foresight to play to the strengths of the characters and their themes.

From a story perspective, I can't imagine that getting the actual Fantastic Four was a main goal, although I'm sure they want to get all of their characters under one roof again, but the big draw to this has to be the secondary characters and villains.

Knowing that they could potentially put Galactus in a future movie, maybe a future Guardians of the Galaxy or depending which way they take it Captain Marvel. Or that Doom could show up just about anywhere, since he has been in everyone's business.

Plus there is Silver Surfer and who knows if they might fit him into the Infinity Gauntlet/Stones storyline.

I have an uncomfortable feeling that part of the deal will involve this being the final seasons of Agents of SHIELD and Agent Carter.

To be fair, neither show is doing well, but it sounds like the X-men series are a bit redundant.
AoS is all about building an Inhumans team right now and Carter is a late 40's period show.
Fox will be making a team building X-men series and an early 50's period show?

I think Disney/Marvel may have realized there isn't a lot of money in TV. It makes sense to let someone else do the work.
Look at how much DC doesn't care what happens on TV to their characters (which is why they don't suck). It's all about the theatrical films.

DoctorM:
I have an uncomfortable feeling that part of the deal will involve this being the final seasons of Agents of SHIELD and Agent Carter.

To be fair, neither show is doing well, but it sounds like the X-men series are a bit redundant.
AoS is all about building an Inhumans team right now and Carter is a late 40's period show.
Fox will be making a team building X-men series and an early 50's period show?

I think Disney/Marvel may have realized there isn't a lot of money in TV. It makes sense to let someone else do the work.
Look at how much DC doesn't care what happens on TV to their characters (which is why they don't suck). It's all about the theatrical films.

Umm, no. Marvel isn't doing an X-Men TV show because they didn't have the film rights. The only reason they are letting Fox do the TV show is because Marvel is getting something out of it.

gact:
english isnt my first language but isnt the tittle supposed to say might instead of may?

Both would work in this situation. Btw, in contractions, such as isn't or they're, an apostrophe (') is used in place of omitted letters, in this case, the "o" of not and the "a" of are.

On topic, come on Fox, let the people who know what they're doing have the rights back. And, stop making Wolverine movies.

One day. One day we will see The Thing team up with the Guardians of the Galaxy in the movies!

Never mind F4, let's do some Planetary - their evil counterparts are so much more interesting.

fix-the-spade:
I can't help but feel that Marvel/Disney will get all their characters back just in time for the bottom to fall out of the MCU. They're upping and upping the number of movies being chucked out, three a year is pushing it and people can get sick of a good thing.

On the other hand, more characters out of the hands Fox is good news.

I think that's why there pusshing more smaller budget movies out.

If it starts to go down hill they will only have one big production in the works, rather then a finished tanking one with another one in the works.

I guess you are only aloud to fuck up 2 times before they give up the rights to marvel.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here