This 3D Printed Railgun Fires Plasma Rounds At 560 mph

Pages PREV 1 2

Well, I'm sorry, but that's a misleading title. When you're talking about a gun that shoots plasma, what you should ALWAYS mean is...

OR

OR EVEN

...but not a solid ammo weapon based upon the magnetic projectile driving system found in railguns. After all, this is a gaming site. You know what we're thinking. Even still, I've seen some sweet homemade railgun action. Pretty cool stuff. Worries me that someone managed to do it with 3D printing now.

ADDITIONAL PLASMA FOOTAGE:

Captcha: Steam punk

I...don't think so.

FalloutJack:
Worries me that someone managed to do it with 3D printing now.

Well I got curious on the topic of what it takes to make one of these things, turns out the only parts you need for a basic railgun are actually just 3 metal pieces, doesn't even matter what kind.
Two of them make the rails and one sits in the middle that gets propelled as you run electricity through the rails, and the more electricity you get in there the faster it goes. That is it, the entire trick, consequently also means your basic plastic printer can't make the vital parts at all.

Smooth Operator:

FalloutJack:
Worries me that someone managed to do it with 3D printing now.

Well I got curious on the topic of what it takes to make one of these things, turns out the only parts you need for a basic railgun are actually just 3 metal pieces, doesn't even matter what kind.
Two of them make the rails and one sits in the middle that gets propelled as you run electricity through the rails, and the more electricity you get in there the faster it goes. That is it, the entire trick, consequently also means your basic plastic printer can't make the vital parts at all.

The vital components, naturally, must be metal, but it's not as though metal bars are difficult to acquire. Mostly, I was remarking - as I have in the past - about how I am displeased that people are making guns with 3D printers. True, perhaps the pioneering Japanese man was seeing if it could be done, but now we've seen and now people start experimenting. I'm not harping on those who make hobby devices. To quote Vash The Stampede, "Dangeorus toys can be fun, but you could get hurt.". Those who are irresponsible or deliberately dangerous can use the technology improperly. It bothers me.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here