Star Wars: The Force Awakens' Full Trailer Stands Revealed

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Star Wars: The Force Awakens' Full Trailer Stands Revealed

Star Wars: The Force Awakens finally has its full trailer, taking us back to a galaxy far, far away.

It's easy to be a skeptical Star Wars fan, especially these days. Not only did we live through the prequels, the new series will be directed by J.J. Abrams, whose record with the Star Trek reboot is divisive at best. But hope is rising. First we heard about the practical effects, then the teaser showed promise. Now the official Star Wars: The Force Awakens trailer is out, and naturally the internet is in full-blown hype mode. And after watching it, I suspect you'll agree - it's hard to blame anyone for that.

Where the original teaser trailer was very nostalgia driven, here the focus shifts onto Force Awakens' new characters. Rey lives on the desert planet Jakku, scavenging for parts among a long-abandoned Star Destroyer. Meanwhile, Finn is a Stormtrooper disillusioned with his cause, and is seemingly shot down over Jakku for doing so. The pair end up joining forces for an epic adventure with the First Order hot on their heels. But instead of being assisted by a elderly Obi-Wan, it's Han Solo himself who takes on the role of teacher.

Admittedly, this Force Awakens trailer is still short on plot specifics, saving its big reveals for the final movie. It's still not clear why Luke, Leia, and Han parted ways 30 years ago, or why the First Order kicked off another galactic conflict. It does seem the Force is considered a myth once again, since the skeptical Han Solo is the one telling Rey and Finn it actually exists. Which is where the awakening Force likely comes into play.

But plot details aren't required here - it's the gorgeous visuals that really stand out. There are all kinds of new locations on display, from a First Order stronghold, to a ruined battlefield, to some kind of remote temple. And of course, it's packed full of epic sci-fi battles. The trailer gives us infantry shootouts, X-Wing dogfights, clashing lightsabers, and more.

Sure, Star Wars: The Force Awakens might not be what we expect. But I have to admit, the Force seems to be growing ever stronger with this one. We'll find out when it premieres on Dec. 18, 2015.

All i can feel is chills. I don't care if it turns out to be a crappy movie I will go out and see this movie.

Well whaddayaknow , that actually looks alright.

Having a main character be a storm trooper deserter is a cool idea. (Although I guess they're no longer clones then?)

Zhukov:

Having a main character be a storm trooper deserter is a cool idea. (Although I guess they're no longer clones then?)

Its pretty clear in the original trilogy that all the Stormtroopers who were clones were either dead or retired. This is 30 years after episode 6, all the clones are definitely dead.

holy shit, trying to buy tickets for this thing is difficult...

all the sites keep crashing harder than tie fighters.

they can't repel customers of this magnitude! their deflector shields are too strong!

Ihrgoth:

Zhukov:

Its pretty clear in the original trilogy that all the Stormtroopers who were clones were either dead or retired. This is 30 years after episode 6, all the clones are definitely dead.

Indeed. Even in the original movie, with Luke and the "aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper" bit. If they were actually still entirely clones, that would have been less of a joke and more of something that would have gotten them caught pretty quickly.

Looks good to me. Really, my only complaint is that things are moving too fast, too sharp I guess. The turns the ships make, the lasers looking a bit too skinny, stuff like that. It's purely cosmetic and is a result of new technology, but part of my brain was going, "Hm...doesn't look quite right."

Still totally excited though. Can't wait to see it, although I dread what the lines are going to be. So was that Leia talking? Hope so. They're touching on the fact that she has the Force now.

Looks decent enough. Hopefully it delivers the classic Star Wars feels.

I really don't feel anything. I mean, all I see here is spectacle.

I'm hoping there's something that actually makes me care about the new characters at some point before Christmas.

gmaverick019:

they can't repel customers of this magnitude! their deflector shields are too strong!

Thank you for this. Really thank you, you made my night. After that trailer caused my eyes to leak, you have successfully done that again, from laughter.

Well, at least this isn't a trailer that gives away ALL the plot.

This doesn't make me tear up. Nope. Not brimming over here.

The Rogue Wolf:

I'm hoping there's something that actually makes me care about the new characters at some point before Christmas.

I'm pretty sure that was the last trailer..so I don't think you'll get anything new/more to care about the characters...

although that's a double edged sword kinda, innit? reveal too much, and you've got the movie in a nutshell, but reveal too little, and customers like you are looking for a reason care to go see it.

Imperioratorex Caprae:

gmaverick019:

Thank you for this. Really thank you, you made my night. After that trailer caused my eyes to leak, you have successfully done that again, from laughter.

you're mighty welcome, my humor isn't the greatest so sometimes my jokes fall on deaf ears...(or eyes, in the forums case.)

even blind chickens find feed sometimes :-)

So not really a Star Wars fan, but that looked awesome. Definitely going to see it.

I'm... actually pretty apathetic to be honest. Not sure why but this trailer just doesn't make me feel anything.

So, going with Abram's usual "mystery box with most obvious answer being correct", the conspicuous absence of Mark Hamill combined with the masked villains clearly means Luke Skywalker's a Sith, now, right? That's him with Daddy's mangled mask, taking over Daddy's unfinished business?

Which is what, exactly? Wiping out force users, perhaps? "Bringing balance"? Hrm.

Haha! I was actually going to make fun of how the single note drama intro made me cringe, trying to be like Green Mile or something serious, but it seemed to work for some of you. To me this couldn't look more bland.

I am so filled with rage because of how hyped I am to see this... I hate it... It looks so good I'm filled with rage.....

Every time I see that clip with the former stormtrooper in the desert backdrop I can't help but think of the scene from spaceballs...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4-rYlw1rRI

Pyrian:
So, going with Abram's usual "mystery box with most obvious answer being correct", the conspicuous absence of Mark Hamill combined with the masked villains clearly means Luke Skywalker's a Sith, now, right? That's him with Daddy's mangled mask, taking over Daddy's unfinished business?

Which is what, exactly? Wiping out force users, perhaps? "Bringing balance"? Hrm.

nah, we briefly see a hooded figure with a robot hand and r2-d2, odds are Luke is gonna play this movies equivalent to Yoda or Obi-wan

Pyrian:

If you are right, so help me, I will find you and end you. With a lightsaber. :-)
My guess is the person speaking (Ren is his name I believe) is one of those "Eager young apprentices" who completely misses the point of what his master/mentor/guy-I-idolize was doing, and thus he's doing his own thing, but believes he's following Vader.

Zhukov:

Zhukov! What have you done?!?!? You've invited the possibility of VERY, VERY hardcore Star Wars fans repeatedly ganging up on you and telling you that the EU (Expanded Universe, stuff like books, comics, video games, cartoons, anything that's not the movies) covered this before it was un-canonized by Disney/Lucasfilm and the remaining stuff outside of the films that are still canon also cover this. Know their wrath you clearly do not! Run! Cut your losses while you still can! On a serious note it's like Ihrgoth and Jadak said. The latest cartoon, Star Wars Rebels, which is still canon recently mentioned briefly about the surviving clones mandatory issued retirement

Pyrian:
So, going with Abram's usual "mystery box with most obvious answer being correct", the conspicuous absence of Mark Hamill combined with the masked villains clearly means Luke Skywalker's a Sith, now, right? That's him with Daddy's mangled mask, taking over Daddy's unfinished business.

Mark Hamill had a presence in the 2nd teaser holding his mechanical hand onto R2 with a slightly reworded reuse of his lines from Return of the Jedi about his family's strength in the force as a very brief narration separate from the scene. Or, did you know that and consider the fact that he is missing from even 1 of the trailers enough evidence? It's already been revealed who the villain behind the mask is and it's not Luke. image

I want to be more excited but I just don't give two shits about this Jedi vs Sith nonsense that every other Star Wars fans seems to get hard over. It was always such a small part of my enjoyment. It always felt like a much smaller aspect of the original films to me than it blew up into for every other piece of tie in fiction in the universe. I am in the minority I suppose but I'll have to hold out for some kind of spinoff movie someday.

Hi! I'm new to the Escapist. This is my first post.

It seems they're putting some serious meat on the bones of the Chosen One prophecy from the prequels: When Anakin/Vader died he brought balance to the Force and that meant...what?

Maybe it resulted in The Force going quiet for 30 years and now it's "Awakening" with the result that Force Sensitives are freaking out as their definition of reality is forcefully changed to accommodate their new sensitivity.

Okay, at least that explains the title.

Of course if that is the case then the presence of experienced Force wielders like Luke and Ren--I-wanna-be-Vader--guy kinda makes me wonder how they'll explain the "awakened" people vs the "Plot necessary Protagonists/Antagonists".

Trailer was excellent, this article was not. I always avoid learning anything about anything I might be excited for - game or movie. Up to now I had managed to avoid any actual details about the new Star Wars movie. I do not appreciate the spoilers, no matter how small. Bad form, Escapist.

The Rogue Wolf:

So you WANT the trailer to give away plot details?

It's a 150 second trailer, for a movie who's franchise is known for delivering spectacle. What were you expecting?

Most of it looked interesting, but I admit that for some reason the villains voice failed to impress me and just made me giggle a little instead.

I feel like John Williams was doing most of the leg work in this movie.

Imo, the fact that the original trilogy has reached "myth" status here is a bit disquieting. It kind of confirms that this movie will be quite sycophantic in its depiction of the old Star Wars, which can go either way.

Though it is interesting that the main character appears to be a stormtrooper who became a Jedi(seemingly, we do see him hold a lightsaber). That's basically Kyle Katarn, and I don't know if this was deliberate or absent minded of the studio that the EU already had such characters.

But overall, it doesn't look too bad. The action, for once, seems clear and unobscured by the usual JJ Abrams mess, which is refreshing, so it looks like the linchpin will be the story. Again, cause of Jedi Knight, I can't really buy into the fact that the events of the original trilogy are just stories and that the force has disappeared from the knowledge of ordinary people in the movie. I mean, what the hell has Luke been doing this whole time? Has he been relegated to an Old Spock role, where 40 minutes into the movie, he's going to come in via video and teach those kids about the force?

Ah well, will have to see :P

Kylo ren's voice was awful and off putting but apart from that the movie actually looked decent i hope they explain however everything went from celebrations across the galaxy thanks to lucas and his constant editing to people are even more ignorant about the force and the galaxy's history.

Okay, now for something that confuses ME. For those who have been following the news apparently people have been saying that Finn is using Anakin's light saber in the poster, given that it doesn't seem possible to make out the hilt to confirm this (not to mention that Anakin's saber likely melted, and was replaced by Vader's) I can't figure out how this rumor got started. I thought it might be something from the trailer that got "leaked" early but I see nothing there implying this is the case either.

If anyone else has heard the same thing, perhaps they can explain to me why so many people think Finn is using Anakin's saber?

Selucia:
Kylo ren's voice was awful and off putting but apart from that the movie actually looked decent i hope they explain however everything went from celebrations across the galaxy thanks to lucas and his constant editing to people are even more ignorant about the force and the galaxy's history.

(skip to the bottom for what I'm calling after the preamble if you don't want to read the lengthy explanation)

Well if JJ knows what he's doing, this story is going to go into some very dark places, and from the trailer it seems possible he does. The first thing you need to understand is that in the Star Wars universe there is no free will at all, period. People think they have free will, but it's an illusion, and everything is pre-ordained by The Force which acts as a universal puppet master. The Force decrees that the universe works in cycles where good and evil both get a chance to rule the universe for thousands of years at a time, in between each cycle there is a period of balance where the two are more or less even. This is why force powers wax and wane and improbable things happen. Oftentimes the narrative the Force weaves is not straightforward either just because the bad guys are being given the universe doesn't mean that the good guys won't succeed/win a few battles in ways that otherwise feed the narrative being created.

The central key to understanding Star Wars at this point is that the galaxy was at the end of a long rule of good, where a military wasn't even really needed, the Sith were wiped out to the point where nobody even knew what they were. The next step of course is for a period of balance, and you'll notice Anakin is supposed to "bring balance to the force", this is misinterpreted by some of the Jedi to mean he's going to defeat the Sith, but that makes no sense if you REALLY think about it because when good rules everything and peace and stability are the order of the day that isn't "balanced". Sidious thinks that this means Anakin is supposed to help him bring down the Jedi and usher in a reign of darkness in his name, but that's not accurate either because we're not quite there yet (and nobody knows this cycle exists except for us watching the movies and taking the time to "get it"). Everything that happened in Star Wars was about balance, all the good guys and bad guys fight and do their thing but at the end both the Galactic Republic and Empire are in flames. You'll notice Anakin goes from being good to evil, and then back to good again just long enough to pretty much do the most damage to the galaxy and prevent either good or evil from ruling. When he's done there is basically one partially trained force user still alive (Luke) and he has his own issues just like Anakin did. Basically when Anakin lobbed the Emperor into the reactor core balance was achieved, and the prophecy was fulfilled.

What this all means is that in canon Star Wars what we're looking at is a giant victory for the bad guys coming up, since it's time for the era of evil. What I'm CALLING right now is Luke is going to be a bad guy, if not the big bad, whether he starts out that way or becomes corrupted during the series this is what makes the most sense for the series and it's kind of inevitable if JJ actually respects the universe and understands how it's going to work. I suspect this is why Luke is missing from so much promotional material so far, it's protecting that spoiler for those who might not be expecting it.

Now, you might be thinking "But Therumancer, isn't that a giant downer, and something Disney would never do?" the answer to that is two fold. For one, we have no indication how long The Force is going to drag out a new cycle fully arriving. While it all ends with a big 'ol "Empire Of Evil" there can still be some back and forth and tales to be told in the meantime. Secondly Lucas created a little known "out" to allow our plucky heroes to avert the cycle by killing the force. Lucas' writings were instrumental in doing "Knights Of The Old Republic II" which as some might remember involved a character called Kreia who figured out what The Force was doing and set out to destroy it in order to give people free will. Due to the game's troubled development a lot of it was cut so we go from her first step of killing all the force users to... our final confrontation without any real explanation as to how she planned to kill a metaphysical entity to begin with. Of course the real stinger here is also her spouting prophecy at the end of the game explaining how everything was now going to develop, and leaving open the question if she could have ever done it to begin with, or if simply thinking she could was part of the Force's narrative and manipulations to begin with. While one can argue KoToR II was axed the same way the EU was, the basic root of the story still remains valid as it shows that from Lucas' own theories it's possible that The Force could be killed. So if somehow the good guys were able to destroy it, and then convince the bad guys to simmer down, or otherwise pull of a stunning victory without the invisible puppet master pulling the strings everything could still have a happy ending... or at least a bittersweet one as one could always wonder whether such free will is a blessing or a curse, I mean with The Force in charge people couldn't permanently screw themselves since when evil reigns the force would always eventually guide it back the other way for a time.

As a final point for those who never really understood it, while The Force works through force users primarily, it controls everyone, but force users are it's primary means of making what it wants to happen occur. Mitochondria levels are like the points of articulation on a puppet, the more of it you have, the more The Force is working through you. For someone like Anakin it's so high because his entire existence is to act as a major catalyst of events.

Overall Star Wars has more in common with some eastern and middle eastern schools of thought about fate and a lack of free will than the modern western insistence that we govern our own fate. The key element to it is of course that the universe is complicated enough that nobody realizes how predestined things happen to be. Prophicies in Star Wars have weight, as you saw with Anakin bringing balance, he screwed both sides... killing all the good force users, and then killing the Emperor, when he was done both sides of the coin got themselves pretty much leveled. Of course the mechanitions were such that it seemed like a moral quandary from a mixed up dude making his own choices. You were told from the beginning EXACTLY what was going to happen, and nothing he did would change it. This means the situation from our perspective might be hopeless unless there is as I said a Catch 22 about somehow being able to exercise just enough free will among the little people to end it, or perhaps more accurately in doing so perhaps The Force gets bored and decides to end itself (and of course one can always wonder if something like that is ever truly gone by it's very nature... but well, I'm rambling).

But yeah, the bottom line is... Dark storylines, Luke will be a bad guy, if not right off the bat it will happen if you respect the material that's the direction the universe is going in. As the "last known force user standing" he's going to be a major focal point for the narrative of "welcome to the reign of evil for the next few thousand years... you'll see good again but not for a looong time".

Therumancer:
Okay, now for something that confuses ME. For those who have been following the news apparently people have been saying that Finn is using Anakin's light saber in the poster, given that it doesn't seem possible to make out the hilt to confirm this (not to mention that Anakin's saber likely melted, and was replaced by Vader's) I can't figure out how this rumor got started. I thought it might be something from the trailer that got "leaked" early but I see nothing there implying this is the case either.

If anyone else has heard the same thing, perhaps they can explain to me why so many people think Finn is using Anakin's saber?

Melted and replaced by vader's? Anakins lightsaber was picked up by obi wan(revenge) and given to Luke(hope), until it fell off into an unknown fate along with Luke's right hand on Bespin(empire). The lightsaber seen in the 2nd teaser is the skywalker relic that has been passed on before. I doubt Finn will have the time and knowledge to construct his own lightsaber by the end of the movie, like Luke, but taking up an existing lightsaber should be sufficient until he's ready.

Uratoh:
Every time I see that clip with the former stormtrooper in the desert backdrop I can't help but think of the scene from spaceballs...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4-rYlw1rRI

Your not the only one, the internet has had a very mixed reception to Finn, which of course SJWs like to brand as racist. I'm willing to give the character a chance, but I personally think they should have cast another Maori as Finn given that the guy who played Jango Fett was a pacific islander.

In the EU it wouldn't be as noteworthy because Storm Troopers were just guys recruited from various planets The Empire captured. In some of the fiction written about the TIE Fighter games for example it tells the story of the pilot your supposed to be playing and how while recruited to be a pilot, his best friend from the same planet that was conquered was enlisted into the Storm Troopers. Since there are black people on planets, there could thus be black Storm Troopers. Nowadays though it makes the Spaceballs joke about it standing out surprisingly prophetic because they did away with the EU and as they explained the army of the Empire is made up of clones, and we've seen the guy they cloned outside of his armor, in detail. The only clone that differs from this is Boba Fett which according to some off-movie explanation had more genetic diversity since a "son" was a special request from Jango as part of his payment.

I expect people to jump on me just because I'm me and forget the whole part that I said about how I'm willing to give Finn a chance though. It's JJ's game right now, and maybe he's put more thought into this than he's being given credit for. To be honest while I'm not as invested in it as some people, I personally feel that if Disney wanted to do this maybe they shouldn't have taken a giant whizz all over the EU and taken the time to declare some of it canon. My problem with Finn is less that he's black than as he's not consistent with the canon Disney and JJ went out of their way to claim. I mean crap in the EU we even had Zombie Storm Troopers (Death Troopers series, which even got brought into the now defunct Star Wars: Galaxies) so anything went and they had a lot of material to pick and choose from in establishing the new canon... they decided to trash it and pretty much go with the movies, keeping the crappiest of the prequel garbage as opposed to the real gems of the EU. Storm Troopers should be neither black or white in the new Star Wars.

Also from what I've seen Finn's arc reminds me a lot of "Dark Forces" (old video game series, which branched into novels and such).

NLS:

Therumancer:

Melted and replaced by vader's? Anakins lightsaber was picked up by obi wan(revenge) and given to Luke(hope), until it fell off into an unknown fate along with Luke's right hand on Bespin(empire). The lightsaber seen in the 2nd teaser is the skywalker relic that has been passed on before. I doubt Finn will have the time and knowledge to construct his own lightsaber by the end of the movie, like Luke, but taking up an existing lightsaber should be sufficient until he's ready.

Ahh okay so it's from a teaser trailer I haven't seen yet. I haven't been following it that closely. That explains it. Your also correct about the lightsaber, I was thinking since Vader had a different one that Anakin's burned with him on Mustafar, but your right that Obi-Wan took it.

Selucia:

Well since (as I explained in a long, rambling, post) Luke is going to be evil if JJ has any real respect for the universe it's possible that the grating voice of Kylo Renn is a temporary thing. It's possible Kylo is Luke, though that isn't confirmed, and all the voice-disguiser stuff is to preserve the spoiler since it would be obvious if you heard Mark Hamill's voice in the trailer.

That said, we'll see what happens. I'm not sure he's Kylo by a long shot, I'm just thinking he's going to be a bad guy if not at the start, later on in the new trilogy, he might even be the big bad.

We'll see what happens though, apparently there are teasers I haven't seen, and one of the reasons I'm not sold on that theory is claims that there are already shots of Kylo outside of his mask.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here