Linkin Park to Play at BlizzCon 2015

Linkin Park to Play at BlizzCon 2015

Linkin Park will cap off this year's BlizzCon with a performance at its closing ceremony.

Every year BlizzCon hires a big-name musical artist to perform for its closing ceremony, effectively giving convention-goers a free concert for the cost of their ticket. Last year, Metallica rocked the show, which is a pretty hard act to follow. This year, we've got Linkin Park, which i'm sure will be met with... mixed, reactions.

"The Grammy Award-winning rock band-and the biggest band on Facebook, with 63 million fans and counting-will be taking the stage the evening of Saturday, November 7, to provide an epic send-off for everyone at this year's convention," wrote Blizzard in a blog post.

"We're beyond excited to welcome SoCal natives Linkin Park to close out BlizzCon with a bang on Saturday night," said Mike Morhaime, CEO and cofounder of Blizzard Entertainment. "We can't think of a better way to bring two full days of gaming and action-packed eSports matches to an epic conclusion than with a band that'll carry the weekend's electricity through to the very end."

"Playing BlizzCon will be one hell of a first for us," said Chester Bennington, lead vocalist of Linkin Park. "We're looking forward to giving all the gamers out there a killer rock show."

If you weren't lucky enough to snag a BlizzCon ticket in the seven seconds before they sold out, you can still watch the Linkin Park concert live from the comfort of your home by purchasing the BlizzCon virtual ticket.

Source: Blizzard Entertainment

Linkin Park, huh? Well. Huh. Ok then. I guess that's interesting.

No, no! It's ok. I mean, they sell a lot of records and all...

So, uh...Linkin Park...

tacotrainwreck:

So, uh...Linkin Park...

This is basically the response i expected

Bleh. Years ago, I would have thought this was the greatest thing ever, but then they sold out. While they still make some incredibly good songs now and then, they haven't put out an all-killer, no-filler album in quite some time.

Steven Bogos:

tacotrainwreck:

So, uh...Linkin Park...

This is the response I expected, basically.

(quite literally both quotes.)

OT: I never pay attention to blizzcon, but good on for the people who do attend them!

LysanderNemoinis:
Bleh. Years ago, I would have thought this was the greatest thing ever, but then they sold out. While they still make some incredibly good songs now and then, they haven't put out an all-killer, no-filler album in quite some time.

They didn't 'sell out' they just had to change with the times. Nu-Metal was on the out and wasn't viable to keep making the same albums.

Granted their subsequent albums were mostly terrible (exception being their most recent album which was actually a bit of a return to form) but it's not like they don't play all their classic hits at concerts still.

A lot of songs off their first two albums and reanimation became pretty synonymous with gaming/anime media so think it's a pretty sweet choice for an act honestly. Wish I could be there. Points of Authority is still my jam.

Interesting band to play at such an event.

But in the end, it doesn't really matter...

See what I did there?

That's actually appropriate, considering how many shitty WoW PvP Youtube videos had/have Linkin Park blaring in the background. So it was them or Disturbed, really...

gmaverick019:

Steven Bogos:

tacotrainwreck:

So, uh...Linkin Park...

This is the response I expected, basically.

(quite literally both quotes.)

Basically, this is the response I expected.

All three of them.

Anyway, I remember there being quite many Linkin Park/WoW machinima, back when youtube wasn't a thing yet and you had to download them from warcraftmovies.com. So it's not too bad of a fit I guess

Ah, Linkin Park is still alive and kicking? Those angsty teens will be...less angsty maybe?

Eh. Fine with me.

They're still producing some good stuff now and then...though they went really poppy with those last couple albums. Hunting Party has some decent tracks though.

All in all? Yay? Cool? Woo? Not gonna watch it, because I don't watch Blizzcons, I just read news about it afterwards or watch panels if they interest me enough to do so...but yay/cool/woo?

If I were waiting for the event.
The excitement would be....

My vote would've gone to Disturbed. I thought, the blizz "big wigs" like "harder" music.

I...honestly didn't even know that Linkin Park was still a thing...

Shitty band for a shitty event. Somehow seems quite appropriate, actually.

Kotoriii:

See what I did there?

Yes, yes I did, and you should be ashamed. *gives the look of disapproval*

OT: Meh, ok, I guess they have to have someone headline the thing. I disagree with the idea of them "selling out". In the immortal words of TOOL. "I sold my soul to sell a record. Dipshit man, you bought one." They're a band that makes their living making albums so that people will buy them. Their motives are pretty transparent in the regard, so hardly appropriate to criticize them for trying to make material that sells. Also, no band stays the same as time goes on. The members age, and mature, and have different emotional input for their music.

Nice LP is one of those bands that really evolved their sound after minutes to midnight. Lotta people don't like it but I think its kinda cool they matured and mellowed out a bit. Mainly cause chester cant hit those screamy notes anymore. Shinoda is still beast, cant wait for fort minor stuff.

Kotoriii:

See what I did there?

I need a place for my head with that kind of referencing...

OT: That's kinda cool... as long as they don't play too many songs from Minutes to Midnight... :p

Eh, Blizzard couldn't have chosen a real metal group to play at their convention like Black Sabbath or Megadeth?

Glaice:
Eh, Blizzard couldn't have chosen a real metal group to play at their convention like Black Sabbath or Megadeth?

I'm not sure 'metal' was really what Blizzard was looking for. More like a band with a trillion Facebook likes as Steve mentioned above. If Devo had more likes than Linkin Park, there'd be Devo at Blizzcon.

Devo at Blizzcon... I think I'm on to something.

I'd definitely rather hear 'Tornado of Souls' over 'Tornado of Angst' any day, but I think they'd be missing their target audience ;)

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here