Batman vs. Superman Rumored to Be the Most Expensive Movie Ever Made

Pages PREV 1 2

James Cameron's Avatar cost $237 million - and this was in 2009 using state of the art CGI in a movie where literally every scene either had some greenscreen elements or was completely CGI with extensive use of motion capture technology and 3d cameras.

How the hell can this film be MORE expensive!?

truckspond:
James Cameron's Avatar cost $237 million - and this was in 2009 using state of the art CGI in a movie where literally every scene either had some greenscreen elements or was completely CGI with extensive use of motion capture technology and 3d cameras.

It probably involves making a big stack of money then carefully setting it on fire while listening to Linkin Park.

truckspond:

Practical effects and setpeices requiring whole city blocks to be closed for a few days or even weeks for filming, big name actors requiring 6 or 7 (sometime 8) figure salaries each, moving production from one set to another which can be hundreds, thousands or even tens of thousands of mile away, scouting to find locations to shoot in the first place, re-shoots, the list goes on.

Now that only goes to explain how things are to a point, but $410 million is something I'd like to see the books behind.

LegendaryGamer0:
Damn, grimdark is getting more expensive per ounce.

It's a seller's market for dark camera filters these days. Everybody's using them!

Wow! They're throwing half a billion dollars at a Zack Snyder movie? I can only assume Josh Trank and M Night Shamamylan were unavailable?

The movie will not flop.
It will make money even if it's bad.
People have been waiting for this for decades.

Worst things that might happen if the movie sucks is that the DCCU will not happen.

Worgen:

truckspond:

It probably involves making a big stack of money then carefully setting it on fire while listening to Linkin Park.

Hey, they have to wipe their asses with something. What do you expect them to use, $50 bills?

Or maybe Snyder wanted to reenact that scene from Dark Knight, but decided to use real money.

JaredJones:

If accurate, that means Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice would not only surpass this year's Avengers: Age of Ultron ($279.9 million) as the most expensive superhero movie ever made, but would also cost some $32 million MORE than Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, the previous record holder.

Wait, hold the phone: the last Pirates of the Caribbean movie cost $390 MILLION to make?!

That movie didn't even have that many huge scale effects in it! How in the world did it cost that much? Was that the price of all the drugs required to keep Johnny Depp in a stupor for the entirety of filming?

That's an amount of money that screams to me "pouring money onto a problem." Meaning there was a problem. Meaning that despite

a: legions of fans screaming for a DCU to rival the Marvelverse
b: the most recognizable comic book heroes in existence
and c: actually having successful movies made of the individual heroes in the past (Nolan and Burton's Batmans, Donner's Superman.)

SOMEHOW there's a problem to have to try and pour money on. I'm thinking it has to be awful. There doesn't seem to be many other possibilities. I thought Man of Steel was terrible, but this thing must be some kind of complete trainwreck. Or with expectations being what they are, even worse... just bland.

Whenever I see something with a ludicrously staggering budget like this, I seethe a bit because I know that no matter how awesome it is, it can't possibly be worth everything that could have been done with that kind of money.

It is a /film/.

It might make its money back if it's good, but their profit margins on this are going to be minuscule at best.

On one hand, I don't want this movie to bomb, because its aftershock will affect the entire industry... yes, even Disney/Marvel will take a hit for it. Believe it or not, many people see everything as a singular element, and don't differentiate between Fox, Sony, Marvel or DC... if this movie fails, it will poison the well for everyone.

On the other hand, if this movie bomb, it will sure be a case worthy of study. I can't wait for the plethora of articles and books that will try to make a postmortem analysis of the whys and hows, and it will be a topic of conversation for years to come.

And, for the record, I don't believe the actors are a reason for the budget. None of them is big enough to ensure that kind of budget, unless you believe Gone Girl actually costed hundreds of millions of dollars. It is actually rather pointless to try to find a single entity that justifies such a budget. If anything, it costs this much because a lot is depending into its success. Movies this big cost this much because it is expected of movies this big...

truckspond:

Basically, it involves never saying "no" to anything. Want to close Times Square for a couple days? You got it. Want the highest CGI budget since Avengers? You got it. Want to make sure every fast food joint has its equivalent of "Happy Meal" with characters from the movie? You got it. Want to hire 100.000 extras and 1.000 technicians in a set several blocks wide? You got it. Want to hire someone for multiple movies starting with this, under the premise that they will have the protagonist role in their own big budget movie in the future? You got it.

All this keeps pilling up, and at some point, the executive response to any problem is "just put more money into it", especially when they are already competing with a multibillion dollars franchise.

hermes200:

truckspond:

Basically, it involves never saying "no" to anything. Want to close Times Square for a couple days? You got it. Want the highest CGI budget since Avengers? You got it. Want to make sure every fast food joint has its equivalent of "Happy Meal" with characters from the movie? You got it. Want to hire 100.000 extras and 1.000 technicians in a set several blocks wide? You got it. Want to hire someone for multiple movies starting with this, under the premise that they will have the protagonist role in their own big budget movie in the future? You got it.

All this keeps pilling up, and at some point, the executive response to any problem is "just put more money into it", especially when they are already competing with a multibillion dollars franchise.

For money like this, I'd expect someone's immortal soul has been put up as the collateral: if this movie flops, then people are going to lose their jobs - hell I wouldn't put it past some of the more bitter and unhinged among it's makers to shank someone in a back alley for it.

If that's true, then I'm actually kind of excited.
After the brain fucking boredom and stupidity that was Man of Steel, I'm hoping this will be DC's Heaven's Gate.

Looks at Jessica Jones trailer... Yeah, why do I get the feeling my enjoyment from a season of netflix tv is going to massively outstrip that of seeing BvS?

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here