Arkham Kinght PC Re-Release Comes With Entire Arkham Library For Free

Arkham Kinght PC Re-Release Comes With Entire Arkham Library For Free

batman arkham knight

You'll get Arkham Aslyum, Arkham City and Arkham Origins for free when you buy Arkham Knight on PC.

Today, the saga of the shoddy Batman: Arkham Knight PC port comes to a close as the game is (finally) re-released for the platform, with (most) of its issues fixed. When Warner Bros. confirmed the date, many were dismayed that some sort of compensation or bonus wasn't offered for the PC gamers who have been waiting paitently. Well today I'm happy to report that you will be getting a little bonus for buying the game on PC, albeit, one that the most dedicated Batman fans probably already have.

Anyone who has already purchased Arkham Knight or purchases it before November 16, 2015, will receive the entire Arkham library absolutely free of charge. That means Batman: Arkham Asylum GOTY, Batman: Arkham City GOTY, Batman: Arkham Origins, and Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate.

Additionally, Rocksteady will be creating a new "Community Challenge Pack" that will be given free to owners of the Batman: Arkham Knight game in January 2016. As thanks to the Steam Community, PC players will have access to the maps for a week before they hit the consoles.

But wait, there's more! Because no Steam game promotion is really complete these days without Team Fortress 2 hats, Rocksteady and Valve are partnering up with the community to create a suite of Arkham-inspired TF2 items, that will be given to owners of Arkham Knight for free.

Is this olive branch enough to forgive the shoddy port? Personally, I was hoping for something a little more substantial, like a free Season Pass with purchase, or a hefty discount on the game, but at least this is something.

Source: Steam

Offering up the very games that everyone interested in the game at all probably already owns. That is shitty.

Baresark:
Offering up the very games that everyone interested in the game at all probably already owns. That is shitty.

And even the rare gamers like me who held-off on (i.e. forgot to buy when $5) such games will probably just wait until this game is $20 and Asylum and/or City go back down to $5. But then again, TF2 cosmetics.

From what I've seen in the forums this patch didn't fix anything at all.

EndlessSporadic:
From what I've seen in the forums this patch didn't fix anything at all.

I read some of those too, though from the ones I read, it was mostly complaints about the game not running at 60fps with 4k resolution. And lack of SLI support. There are a lot of people saying it does run much better now.

Expecting a free season pass is a bit too much...

Maybe all the DLC until September for those who bought AK at launch. But for people who bought it after, this should be fine.

if they take away arkham origins from that free included games, this would be a step in the right direction.

Baresark:

Yeah, I think it's a nice gesture, but it's an empty gesture. Of course if I get the download codes to gift others then it would be kinda neat, but all in all I agree that this isn't really a good compensation. Giving us something one week before console player isn't really something to speak of either. Oh well, as long as they actually fixed the game I am satisfied.

Well that would be nice of them if i didnt already own Asylum, City and Origins.

Oh well, guess a friend of mine is getting an early birthday present.

valium:
if they take away arkham origins from that free included games, this would be a step in the right direction.

Origins is alright.

Blackgate on the other hand...

they are going to have to do better than that if they want my dollar this whole episode was a slap in the face to the master race ... i mean PC gaming community i would have expected a gesture of contrition rather than another slap
and what of the people who were loyal or foolish enough not to demand a refund? they were stuck with a pile of arse for 4 months while this was being fixed, if its been fixed

They give you THREE WHOLE GAMES FOR FREE and that's still not substantial enough?

gigastar:
Well that would be nice of them if i didnt already own Asylum, City and Origins.

valium:

Origins is alright.

Blackgate on the other hand...

I actually liked blackgate on the vita felt like batman meets metroidvania. But for a 3d side scroller I wasn't expecting much. Honestly thought it'd be another batman forever for snes.

valium:

I fail to see how taking a good game away from such a giveaway would be a step in the right direction.

I got my copy for free when purchasing a new graphics card. I wonder if this offer applies to me.

gigastar:

They aren't giftable, so if you already own them, you're out of luck. Guess you're gonna have to buy a present.

Also, the people who purchase AK will only get the games in December.

truckspond:
They give you THREE WHOLE GAMES FOR FREE and that's still not substantial enough?

Not really. A lot of people who got burned by AK already have those games (which obviously influenced them to buy it in the first place), making this gesture completely useless, plus these games were sold for less than 5 bucks on steam, and they aren't giftable, so you can't even give it to one of your friends. It feels like they took the cheapest possible way to compensate people.

A better solution would have been the thing that Ubisoft did, where people who bought Unity got to chose their compensation from a selection of 6 or so titles and other stuff (dlc, discounts, points/credits), so you'd mostly avoid a situation like this, where people own most of those games 'cus of steam sales. While free anything is nice, here it just feels like them giving away stuff they don't really care about anymore anyway, like someone giving all their old shit to a thrift shop.

Also, been hearing that the rerelease is still a massive shitpile of a port, so there's that little nugget.

truckspond:

How many PC gamers who pre-ordered Arkham Knight don't already own previous titles? I reckon 3 at the most.

Baresark:

I mean, it is something and those games are still very playable. But yeah, I know I'm in the boat of already owning all those games and was so excited for the new title because I'd loved the others.

A community challenge pack is getting closer to the mark there. I mean, that's really what they need to offer, in-game content. But they've got 15 pieces of DLC available on Steam. Would it really have been so hard to relinquish a few of those too?

EDIT: Hmm, that's right, Origins. Did they ever fix the problems with that one? I'd held off buying it for that reason and never got around to it. If fixed, that makes this olive branch worth my while. If still broke, no dice for me.

Lightknight:

Baresark:

I mean, it is something and those games are still very playable. But yeah, I know I'm in the boat of already owning all those games and was so excited for the new title because I'd loved the others.

A community challenge pack is getting closer to the mark there. I mean, that's really what they need to offer, in-game content. But they've got 15 pieces of DLC available on Steam. Would it really have been so hard to relinquish a few of those too?

EDIT: Hmm, that's right, Origins. Did they ever fix the problems with that one? I'd held off buying it for that reason and never got around to it. If fixed, that makes this olive branch worth my while. If still broke, no dice for me.

That's really it for me. I mean, they have all of these things that are technically more relevant to the game and they settle on the things that people like already own. It's not like someone who had no interest in the Arkham games previously was all of the suddnely like, "lets see what this Arkham Knight is all about". Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they are fixing it. That is really the most important thing, but empty hollow gestures are more insulting than helpful at this point.

MC1980:

gigastar:

They aren't giftable, so if you already own them, your out of luck. Guess you're gonna have to buy a present.

Oh.

Well then winter sales it is then.

Is nobody going to point out the elephant in the room then?

Arkham Kinght

Might want to fix your title. ;)

Lightknight:

Well, it's better then it was at release, running more smoothly though I think it's demanding way too much of my computers resources for what's on offer. I have a graphics card that is a generation ahead of what was available when Origins was made and while I can get 60fps on max settings, it does chug every so often when exploring the open world and PhysX stuff is, typically, more resource demanding then it's worth.

In game it has issues that are a nuisance but don't hinder progression (though it can wall off achievements) and that seems to be by design. Unlike City, Origins requires you complete certain feats in order to unlock certain abilities. Each feat must be completed in sequence, you can't do them randomly out of order. This leads to a problem in one set where, if you aren't pushing yourself to beat them, you can easily go past the ONLY PLACE IN THE GAME where you can complete one of them and once that moment is past in game you'll have to wait till new game+ to get a second chance. This is fairly early in the list of feats which means the rest of the list is locked off until new game+, including bonus abilities (sonic batarangs shock ability for example).

Similarly one of the feats (a different category this time) seems impossible to accomplish without going into new game+. The last feat in the combat category requires you to stop a crime in progress in each major area of the game. But the bridge only seems to spawn one crime in progress as a scripted event then never spawns one again and that scripted event doesn't count to the feat (you need to have unlocked the feat for any action to count towards it). There is a workaround which requires to you trigger a crime in progress in nearby location, then lead them to the bridge district (not as hard as it sounds actually) which then counts towards it. There is also a convenient glitch that may occur which causes another crime in progress to count towards the bridge district, even if it's nowhere near it (you can do all the other districts, then fight one more crime in progress and for some reason it may or may not count towards the bridge districts even if you are nowhere near it).

They seem to deliberately make it so you can't 100% the riddlers challenges until you go into the post game free roam. This isn't made clear and I spent several hours looking for an unmarked "data handler" between missions. He appears (directly in front of you) post game... but there is a glitch where he doesn't appear at all (though that can be fixed by exiting and reloading). This again seems to be an issue with the bridge district.

Beyond that the game has some balance issues. Much the same as the previous arkham games you can easily make it through most combat encounters with strikes and counters, and the gadgets are just a little extra flair if you feel like using them. Though they try to mix things up a bit more in Origins then in City to force you to use other abilities. However they give you a powerful ability midway through the game that completely wrecks any semblance of challenge and makes getting high combos ludicrously simple. It's great for feeling like a badass but, beyond bosses, it trivializes combat.

All that aside, I still enjoyed origins. I think it's narrative is stronger and more focused then City, it has more interesting boss battles even if they are pretty simple and short and the combat system for all it's flaws feels better once you get a feel for it. City and Asylum feel kind of floaty by comparison.

It's far from perfect and City is still the best in the series, but depending on your tolerance for certain failings, and a certain amount of luck as to what issues you might encounter, it's still very enjoyable and has some fairly memorable moments. If your getting it cheap and like all things batman I'd say it's worth it.

Feel free to get mad about the horrible shittiness of the release, and the hilariously long wait for them to fix the broken bullshit. If you complain about free stuff however, you're petty and selfish. They owe you a working game, not a Christmas present.

Great, HERE'S FREE GAMES, that we can safely bet you already paid us for, uhhhh....right, here's an idea how about you knock 20$ off that price and give out some free DLC? And as for the argument of "Quit complaining about free stuff" It's not free if we already own the games, and no they are not giftable, and second, the original release was inexcusable, so quit being a corporate shill by claiming "They don't owe you anything" they owe us quite a bit frankly

Braedan:
Feel free to get mad about the horrible shittiness of the release, and the hilariously long wait for them to fix the broken bullshit. If you complain about free stuff however, you're petty and selfish. They owe you a working game, not a Christmas present.

A measured move to feign remorse is no move at all.

From David Haddad, Executive Vice President and General Manager, Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment

"The Batman: Arkham series is one of Warner Bros.' most popular and critically acclaimed video game franchises, and with Batman: Arkham Knight, we are giving players the game they have always asked for," said David Haddad, Executive Vice President and General Manager, Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment. "Batman: Arkham Knight is the culmination of Rocksteady Studios' dedication to deliver both an amazing narrative tale and thrilling gameplay experience from beginning to end."

"Rocksteady has been truly honored to bring to life the rich universe envisioned by DC Comics in the Batman: Arkham trilogy of games," said Sefton Hill, Game Director at Rocksteady Studios. "With Batman: Arkham Knight being the conclusion to the series, we wanted to give players a story filled with unforgettable moments, ambitious new features such as the Batmobile and an epic open-world Gotham City that allow them to live the complete Batman experience."

They know it's a popular game. They know it's sold well. They wouldn't have made these many games if the previous didn't sell like pancakes. Making a calculated gesture that they know only a fraction of their install base will ever take is a shrewd move. It will cost them pennies on the dollar because there will be few takers.

Especially on a market like steam where once a year, we open our wallets and get everything we were waiting for (By the way, Fallout 4 Game of the Year Edition.... Soon) during a mega summer sale, Warner Bros has direct numbers of who has what game. And they can project who would actually want what to minimize any damage to themselves. People offering you what you already own is not free. And Warner Bros did that for literally millions of people. I'm not going to deride them for not giving me the free stuff that I want, but I'm not going to praise them for a calculated, hollow gesture.

truckspond:

If I were to look at your games library and give you 3 games you already own it'd be a pretty empty gesture. The only one I don't have is arkham asylum because I played that on console before I got my pc, and even now I really can't say I'm interested in buying the game.

Maybe one the price drops and a sale hits. It's a nice gesture, but an empty one.

truckspond:

well, considering that the people they're trying to make amends with are not new to the series and that steam doesn't allow people to do anything with additional copies of games they already own, it's three whole free nothings of no value, from zilchtown

truckspond:

I think the issue is that a very large amount of people interested in this game will already have the previous games. Giving away all the new dlc for Knight however would have been much more preferable.

drkchmst:
I got my copy for free when purchasing a new graphics card. I wonder if this offer applies to me.

Same, I'm curious about this.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here