Robert Rodriguez's Latest Film Won't Be Released for '100 Years'

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Robert Rodriguez's Latest Film Won't Be Released for '100 Years'

Right, but WILL DANNY TREJO BE IN IT?!!

While dozens, if not hundreds of films have attempted to predict what "the future" would look like in one way or another, has there ever been one that actually waited for the future to arrive before it was released?

That's exactly the kind of question being asked and answered by Robert Rodriguez and John Malkovich's most recent project, 100 Years.

Shot as a promotion for Louis XIII Cognac -- an "ultra-luxury" liquor that is aged 100 years -- a short film directed by Rodriguez and starring Malkovich was completed last week, then placed in a time-locked safe that won't open until November 18th, 2115.

The project was born when Louis XIII global executive director, Ludovic du Plessis, approached Malkovich with an idea to celebrate the 1915-dated bottles of their premium booze currently sitting on shelves -- an idea which has of course been kept a secret from the public. Malkovich, whom Plessis referred to as "the greatest actor of his generation," instantly took the idea and ran with it, calling upon Rodriguez to bring his "emotionally charged" vision to life.

"There were several options when the project was first presented of what (the future) would be," said Malkovich. "An incredibly high tech, beyond computerized version of the world, a post-Chernobyl, back to nature, semi-collapsed civilization and then there was a retro future which was how the future was imagined in science fiction of the 1940s or 50s."

You can check out three teasers for the film below -- all of which envision a different picture of what the future might look like -- but bear in mind that none of them contain actual footage from the film.

So how exactly will 100 Years be screened when the fabled day arrives? io9 explains:

"How the team at Louis XIII envisions this all going down: they are sending out metal movie tickets to about 1,000 influential people inviting them to invite their descendants to a screening exactly one century from today. At that time, they'll grab an old projector (the movie will be preserved on film stock) and press play."

An ambitious experiment to say the least, but it still doesn't compare to the pitch I gave Malkovich for Con Air 2: Deep Space Con, IMO.

Source: io9

Dafaq?

No, seriously, dafuq? This is a very weird idea. I hope head jar tech is invented before then so I can at least read the review on it.

So, about 5 people will see this film unless it is hacked? Lets be honest, who the fuck can keep track of something for 10 years? 20? 50? If it's something sentimental, then I get it ... a ring that has been passed down through 10 generations etc but a film ticket? I am sure "influential" AKA rich people wont give much of a fuck about it.

I just...what? What is the point? Considering the rate at which technology has improved in the past 40 years alone, I really don't get what the point of this is, in 100 years film might not even be a popular medium and I somehow doubt that Robert will be considered relevant anymore, seriously who is going to watch this in 100 years? just a very stupid idea desperate to gain publicity if you ask me

I think they really underestimate how much society will change in that period.

The equivalent would be hearing a 100 year old radio show. Note that said show would've been made before the first radio news programme or entertainment show. It would've likely just been some violins and bible passages. Recorded in what we would now consider utterly atrocious quality.

And that's assuming technology will progress at the same rate as the past 100 years and not any faster.

By the time this gets released it's going to be more outdated than watching a 240p movie without any sound or subtitles over dial-up.

I call bs on this.

I give it ten weeks or so before some enterprising hacker gets it off a Studio 'secure' server and the whole interwebs can see it whether MR Rodriguez wants them to or not.

Alternatively this is all some ploy for publicity.

So they made a movie no one will ever see. Brilliant. Serious aside from the fact someone has to be around to remember that a time capsule was buried a 100 years ago and give enough of a damned to dig it up. WHich they wont. But the other problem is... well.. there likely won't be a device that'll either play it of hook up to it. Seriously. I dare you to find a working 5.25 floppy disk drive. I dare you. And that's only been at best 25 years.. 100 years from now? Nope.

There's a certain kind of arrogance in assuming that you are capable of producing something so awesome- sight unseen by almost everyone who might judge it, one way or another- that it will deserve viewing in a hundred years.

Time capsules, for example, don't tend to do that; they keep mementos of the time they were created in hope that such preservation will be of interest to those who open them later. Not that they contain such artistic vision that the people of the future and only the people of the future will behold their glory.

So many artists and writers created works that have endured without ever seeming to consider their artistic longevity. Many that we regard as the "greats"- writers like Austen, Dickens, and Shakespeare- wrote in formats that were considered fairly light and disposable in their own time.

To think that your art will age like cognac is the sort of conceit that makes the bitter part of my soul hope that the safe suffers water or fire damage.

I think the executive director of this wine company doesn't know about how publicity works. If you are celebrating a centenary then you're supposed to drum up interest by engaging with your clients, not performing an expensive stunt that's only read about by young, poor tech-heads on obscure tech and gaming websites.

I didn't realise John Malkovich was so popular and celebrated among the people that drink luxury cognac,

"The greatest actor of his generation"

Heck, I can't even spell cognac.

This is easily the dumbest 21th century vanity project I've ever heard of.

Bunch of rich people in a circle-jerk then? Moving on.

Hero in a half shell:
"The greatest actor of his generation"

I laughed far harder at that than I would have thought.

Edit: After a couple minutes of reflection, I guess I can say I'm impressed that this French company kept their barrels intact through both World Wars. I'm not sure if liquor can benefit from being aged for a hundred years, though. At the very least you hit a point of massive diminishing returns, but then again I'm not rich, so what do I know?

JaredJones:
-snip-

An ambitious experiment to say the least, but it still doesn't compare to the pitch I gave Malkovich for Con Air 2: Deep Space Con, IMO.

This pitch has me annoyingly curious. I'd watch this :|

omega 616:
So, about 5 people will see this film unless it is hacked? Lets be honest, who the fuck can keep track of something for 10 years? 20? 50? If it's something sentimental, then I get it ... a ring that has been passed down through 10 generations etc but a film ticket? I am sure "influential" AKA rich people wont give much of a fuck about it.

Unless its expensive and exclusive. Rich people dig that shit.

Snorefest, honestly.

It'll be hacked within the week, distributed on YouTube, each copy will get hammered by DMCA complaints - and we'll all forget this movie even exists before the end of the year.

A hundred years from now, the safe will probably be buried in a landfill somewhere or buried under rubble. If anyone finds it, they'll just wonder what the fuck the people from 2015 used to smoke.

All seriousness, this is just incredibly pretentious, nothing more.

This project seems ass-backwards. old-school film projectors aren't terribly hard to come by now, but in 100 years? that's to say nothing of where this movie is even being kept. In all seriousness though, who is going to see this? may I interest you people in Birth of a Nation? that was released in 1915, but nobody knows about it now. Some cinema is timeless, but it tends to be cinema that was either not referencing the time it came out in or happened to capture the spirit of an era. Metropolis was a movie about an envisioned future, but how many people will talk about it on its 100th birthday. Even then, they'll only talk about it because it came out before its 100th birthday and that the way we make sci-fi stories would be completely different without it. "The Movie You'll Never See"? more like the movie no one will give a damn about when it releases.

I'm very much doubtful if there even actually is a movie, or if this is all just a publicity stunt with nothing real backing it up.

Ah, so during a fallout looting session by curious aliens, they will come across this film that makes absolutely no sense, with a bottle of liquid who's aroma melts their faces off like a ridiculous hollywood mummy tomb trap.

Wow this....seems exactly like the kind of insanity that Rodriguez would do.

This is pretty much the pinnacle of art.
It'll probably be the star piece in a museum in the future.

Robert Rodriguez
100 Years, 2015
Pretentiousness on film
24mm x 36mm

No big loss, he is hardly on the same level as Spielberg or Cameron.

schtingah:
I'm very much doubtful if there even actually is a movie, or if this is all just a publicity stunt with nothing real backing it up.

That's my line of thinking as well. Much easier to simply start spreading rumors of an "exclusive short film that won't be seen for a hundred years" than to actually make one. For starters it's a hell of a lot cheaper to just say you made one.

No, the real promotion is the "teaser trailers" to lend credence to the bluff of an actual movie.

Pro Tip: No film, no matter how good, can survive a 100 year build up. It's like Plessis thought to himself, "Man, I hope this Cognac is worth a 100 year wait. I had better package it with something that's going to be a guaranteed disappointment so it will look good by comparison."

I hope it isn't total shit as there may be excpectation after 100 years... think of that the film bombs in 100 years from now. Hell of a way to be remebered but again could be a masterpeice... wish i could live that long to find out tbh.

Is there even a film stock that will survive 100 years? I'm not sure there is.
And that's assuming the projector will still work or be compatible with electrical outlets.
Ridiculous.

Well, I think it's kind of cool. All the people saying it won't have any significance in 100 years are just being cynical. If nothing else, it will be interesting for future people as a snapshot of what people of the past thought the future would be like.

Besides, look at the excitement over Back to the Future 2 this year. Thirty years isn't as long a time, true, but people do remember stuff.

You had me right up to the metal tickets... I mean, why not sent them to the 1,000 influential people living in 2114?

Other than that, I hope one of those that do get to see this film walks out and says "That movie sucked because it wasn't even accurate about the future" as a joke in that particular era... Also, this thread has me rolling in the laughter right now...

Now i am going to live 100 years just to spite the guy and watch the movie whatever form of visuals we will be having in 100 years!

DoctorM:
And that's assuming the projector will still work or be compatible with electrical outlets.
Ridiculous.

some archival optical drives are rated for 100 years. Also assuming you can keep introducing a charge backup every 10 yuears or so and SSD drive will store it just fine. Magnetic tape is also known to have survived quite a lot. you can encode video in an audio tape btw, but reading it in 100 years may be hard.

Though the best way to keep the data is actually printing on archival paper in barcode that uses simple standard, with instructions on how to decode it in 100 years in case shit happens and people forget. heck if your rich enough to do it, do the printing on plastic, that is going to survive better than paper.

then if money is no problem. just print Glass/Bronze CD masters. those will survive 100 years just fine. just lets hope in 100 years we will still know how to read CDs.

on the plus side, reading threads like these in another 20 year or so and seeing how many interfaces are still around will be a fun thing to do. funny in 2008 they thought IDE is going away, when its making a comeback now :)

I don't know about you guys, but I plan to still be around 100 years from now. But I won't go to a screening of this movie, I'll just get it via Quantum-Entangled Torrent, or whatever futuristic file sharing tech will be hated by MPAA (we all know they will still be here, and they will still not have embraced digital content distribution).

IamLEAM1983:
It'll be hacked within the week, distributed on YouTube, each copy will get hammered by DMCA complaints - and we'll all forget this movie even exists before the end of the year.

Assuming the thing is on something with internet connection. I mean, good luck getting access to a DVD remotely, for example (not a DVD Drive or a DVD in a Drive - JUST the DVD)

Still, silly idea. But on the other hand... why not? If I manage to be still around in 100 years AND remember it (instead of turning into a senile old man that forgets that he took a crap earilier this morning), I might try to see it if I can.

I'm 27 years old. I can look back 20 years and notice the world around me hasn't changed THAT much. An extra store. A few more wal-marts. Smaller phones and skinnier televisions. With this knowledge, I find it very hard that multiplying this by five will turn our planet into the SciFi stuff we're seeing in media. After all, a hundred years ago people predicted we'd have flying cars and jetpacks. We don't, though we do have planes.
Maybe this is just me being a cynic. I'm just using the data I have.

DoctorM:
Ridiculous.

That was one of my first thoughts as well.

If it's stored on standard film stock, it will surely degrade long before 2115 comes along. So, that being the case, is there a plan for someone to open the time capsule every decade or so to reprint the film? Perhaps the is film stored on some digital format. If so, what's keeping that from degrading? More over, who's to say there'll be any means of retrieving the data from that type of storage medium in 2115? Are they expecting people in 2115 to rewrite century-old video codecs?

Honestly, the whole affair just screams of extreme pretentiousness and arrogance compounded by shortsightedness.

Pretty much what I expect out of Rodriguez and Malkovich...

Strazdas:
Now i am going to live 100 years just to spite the guy and watch the movie whatever form of visuals we will be having in 100 years!

DoctorM:
Ridiculous.

some archival optical drives are rated for 100 years. Also assuming you can keep introducing a charge backup every 10 yuears or so and SSD drive will store it just fine. Magnetic tape is also known to have survived quite a lot. you can encode video in an audio tape btw, but reading it in 100 years may be hard.

Though the best way to keep the data is actually printing on archival paper in barcode that uses simple standard, with instructions on how to decode it in 100 years in case shit happens and people forget. heck if your rich enough to do it, do the printing on plastic, that is going to survive better than paper.

then if money is no problem. just print Glass/Bronze CD masters. those will survive 100 years just fine. just lets hope in 100 years we will still know how to read CDs.

on the plus side, reading threads like these in another 20 year or so and seeing how many interfaces are still around will be a fun thing to do. funny in 2008 they thought IDE is going away, when its making a comeback now :)

While some digital media are rated at 100 years, digital transfers of films are kept with multiple duplicates and are refreshed/recopied on a regular basis. DVDs were rated at 100 years when they first came out. That's long since been proven to be bogus.

Even the best film stocks' long term survival are largely guess based. They won't know how long they'll keep until 100 years goes by.

There really aren't many (any?) formats that are set it and forget it for 100 years and you'll be guaranteed success.

Speaking of bogus... they don't put bottled liquor away for 100 years. The are stored in casks (or whatever) to age and THEN bottled. It's not like wine. I know it's meant to be symbolic, but in 100 years they'll wonder how stupid the director was.

Eh, I'll wait until this leaks on to the Pirate Bay and watch it. This had to have passed through a lot of hands on the way to final cut and storage.

DoctorM:

While some digital media are rated at 100 years, digital transfers of films are kept with multiple duplicates and are refreshed/recopied on a regular basis. DVDs were rated at 100 years when they first came out. That's long since been proven to be bogus.

Even the best film stocks' long term survival are largely guess based. They won't know how long they'll keep until 100 years goes by.

There really aren't many (any?) formats that are set it and forget it for 100 years and you'll be guaranteed success.

Speaking of bogus... they don't put bottled liquor away for 100 years. The are stored in casks (or whatever) to age and THEN bottled. It's not like wine. I know it's meant to be symbolic, but in 100 years they'll wonder how stupid the director was.

Eh, I'll wait until this leaks on to the Pirate Bay and watch it. This had to have passed through a lot of hands on the way to final cut and storage.

Archival optical media are not your run of the mill DVDs though. those were specifically designed for long term storage. Also i find the whole DVD rot thing fascinating, because i keep my (literally over a thousand) DVD collection in a cupboard, some of which (cds mostly) are over 20 years old and so far i only ever found 1 of them unreadable, and that was probably more due to wear and tear than rot (it was read thousands of times by then, was one of those id keep putting in constantly). While i moved to other methods of storage for the most part nowadays, these dvds still stick around just fine.

There is no reason to think there arent going to be multiple copies of this film as a redudancy, perhaps even in multiple formats for better future compatibility.

I never said there are set it and forget it formats for 100 years, i speculated on longevity of different formats in there and the glass/bronze masters seems to be the best option if money is no problem because those are indeed the kind that at least in theory you could set it and forget it for 100 years.

When it comes to liquir, you have to keep Wine in casks. cognac does not care if its bottles or casks. though it should ideally be kept in the dark. if you have supermarkets like around here it may be interesting to go liquir hunting and reach for the bottles that are in the very back end of the shelf. the people working there tend to stack liquir at the front when new arrives since they dont care about expiry date (unlike beer, when i worked in a supermarket they really got angry if any beer expired) so if you dig deeper you can find things like 10-15 year old bottles that still costs the exact same as a 1 year old ones.

Piratebay leaks usually involve distributor/retailer leaking. altrough a lot more leaks nowaday come from the Movie Theater staff as they started shipping generic Blu-rays to them nowadays. This movie hasnt been handled by either, so the chances of leaking are slim.

So, a time capsule project, then? Alright, thanks for letting us know.

For a brandy to be called Cognac, it must be made from specified grape varieties grown in the AOC (a majority of Ugni Blanc, with small portions of Colombard and Folle Blanche allowed), double-distilled in copper pot stills and aged at least two years in Limousin or Tronçais oak barrels.

I call bollocks on 'bottle aged'. Still don't believe me? Check out Louis XIII's website: http://www.louisxiii-cognac.com/#the-art-of-craftsmanship--the-ageing-process

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here